WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2022

1727374757678»

Replies

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,267 Member
    edited December 2022
    Happy Chirstmas Eve to All!

Carol from Mexico ~ Welcome! You have beautiful blue eyes!

Betsy ~ Agree with all the others concerning your husband's relatives!

Katla ~ So sorry to hear that your husband had to be sent back to the hospital. Prayers for you both.

Rosemarie ~ Glad your son will be with you tonight. Did he go to UGA? My DnL's mother and father did. My husband and I went to the University of North GA in Dahlonega.

Carol in GA

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,752 Member
    Katla hugs and prayers for you and your husband. Hang in there!

Carol from Mexico Welcome and come back at the end of the day for the new thread that starts Jan. 1!

Betsy Ditto everyone’s comments

And I’m in on the January list.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :) Betsy, setting aside the eligious affiliations, being a bully is not OK. Be kind and polite and say no thank and goodbye
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,267 Member
    Michelle ~ I don't see how you can do all the baking of sweets and not eat them. I baked a chocolate bundt cake today to carry to my Son's family. The smell of the chocolate makes me feel like pounds are adding on and I haven't even had any. Not even a taste! LOL :)

Carol in GA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,124 Member
    I highly recommend the book, 'Leaving The Saints' by Martha Beck.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • barbiecat
    :) Since it is 2023 already in Australia and nearly bedtime on New Year's Eve in the UK, I'll be posting the new thread soon. Be watching for the link. I don't want to lose any of you. <3

:) For me, every day is the best day there ever was, so I don't deal with looking back but I've enjoyed your lists of the highlights or the year. What's fun for other people may not be fun for me, and vice versa.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • barbiecat
    :)https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10880701/women-ages-50-for-january-2023/p1?new=1

Here is the link to the new thread for January 2023. May it be the best of clean slates for all of us.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,930 Member
    Machka: Your nose isn’t n the least scary. It’s healing really well.

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri
    Pg 26
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    DD & I went to see DH at the hospital. I am glad we were there. I hope to see him again soon. ❤️ ⭐️ ❤️
  • barbiecat
    :)https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10880701/women-ages-50-for-january-2023/p1?new=1

Here is the link to the new thread for January 2023. May it be the best of clean slates for all of us.

• Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Happy New Year, friends. Here's to a great 2023.

Just to finish off my gratitude list:
    25. Something you take for granted. My car. It always starts and gets me where I need to go

26. A TV show that you look forward to watching. Emily in Paris. Also The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

27. A movie you watch over and over. The Blues Brothers

28. An opportunity you’re grateful you had. So many! Recently, it would be the backstage access to my favorite basketball team. But upon more reflection I am really grateful for the face to face meetings I have had with some of you here including Lisa, Michelle, Sue K. and Katla.

29. A place you love to visit. Hawaii

30. A tool you find incredibly useful. My Samsung flip phone

31. A daily habit you’re happy you’ve cultivated. Meditation every morning before getting out of bed.

Last few days have been spent resting and recovering from a cold. Not used to being ill, and it's very humbling.

Katla: Hope DH is gets better soon, and returns home. ((Hugs))

Machka: Love the dry stream. Your nose looks to be healing very well.

Flea: So sorry for the emotional rollercoaster this holiday has triggered. Stay strong, but be gentle with yourself.

Ginny: Ditto what others have said about post mortem conversion. My mother had a deathbed conversion to Judiasm because she wanted to be buried near my father, and this was a requirement. Gah! Costly transaction, but I am at peace because it was her wish.

I am working on composing the annual photo calendar I have been doing for past 15+ years. This exercise forces me to look at the photos of the past year, chose the best of the best, and then arrange them artfully into calendar pages via the photo program at Walgreens. I had many great trips, visits with friends and family, and shows and concerts in 2022. It's difficult to chose, but I'm having fun with the process.

Not sure I'm in the right headspace right now to pick a word for 2023, so will be back. Till then, stay well. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
    2022 Word = Flow

ll71v86ivrbo.jpg

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited January 2023
    teklawa1 wrote: »
    Wishing everyone well as we go into a new year. Especially today thinking of Katla and hoping today brings good news. Kelly thinking of you as you join your family. Such a sad time losing a loved fur baby and without any notice.

I'm working on my word for 2023 and it hard to narrow it down to one word. I have so many issues that I know I have to work on. I'll make a decision by the end of the day.

I"m throwing a situation out into a spoiler. Would appreciate any thoughts people have.
    My husband died last March. He was a Methodist and me a Friend (formerly Quaker). His brother and wife converted to Church of Latter Day Saints many years ago. They are wonderful people and I love them. They have often brought up religion over the years and Jack and I firmly and gently let them know we are happy with our beliefs and have no interest in converting. Well now I'm getting phone calls with lots of pressure to give permission for Jack to be converted after death... with baptism and a ceremony sealing our marraige. They say they can do this w/o my permission but would like my permission. Also they say they would still "love" me but our relationship would be different if I don't agree.
    Jack would not be happy with his brother and family. He wouldn't want the babtism or sealing in the temple. I'm sad and I'm feeling pushed. Religion for Jack and myself was very personal. I am sure neither the Methodists or the Friends wouldn't claim either of us.

Last day of the year..... still working on my word and on what the highlights of my year might have been. I'll be back later today.

Betsy in NW WA

Betsy, This calls for a succinct reply. Jack didn't want to be "converted", you are not about to give them permission to do so, and in fact, it they do it anyway, it will be expressly against your (and Jack's) wishes. Then try to let go of the outcome, as you have no control over it. Don't allow them to bully you.

I truly dislike these tactics. And to have it done in the name of religion makes it all the more egregious.

Karen in Virginia

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Gratitude
    1 What is something that makes you laugh? Robin Williams movies.

2 Something about the current season you’re grateful for: Very grateful for the cool fall weather and the lovely rains.

3 What about your body do you love/are you grateful for? I am grateful for my hair. It's a pretty color and has body/wave. I never have to fuss with it.

4 Who is someone in your life that you’re grateful for? I am incredibly grateful for the assistant marketing manager Stephanie at our retirement community, who is skillfully navigating us through the portal into our retirement community. Among other things, she tactfully negotiated to return the larger storage space that originally came with our apartment (it had been commandeered, lol), assigned us a prime parking space near the elevator in the parking garage, gave us a grace period before we have to start daily "check ins", took charge of a delivery of large awkward boxes in our absence, delivering them into our apartment with care, spontaneously recruited us to join into a trivia game that was already underway, and numerous other little thoughtful gestures. Plus she is super responsive to emails.

5 What is a book that changed your life? To Kill a Mockingbird

6 Think about something you’re good at: I'm good at packing a box with random items (like a puzzle).

7 What is a lesson you’re grateful you learned? I am still learning this lesson. Do not talk at/overwhelm my younger brother with too much information or too many questions. He is vulnerable and becomes anxious and ultimately angry - because he feels inadequate, which makes him resentful.

8 A basic need that has been met: Basic needs: food, water, clothing, sleep, and shelter. All have been met with the possible exception of adequate sleep.

9 What are you most grateful for in the city/town where you live? Oh my gosh, there are so many great things about this neck of the woods. However, picking just one: I have a terrific network of friends and access to limitless resources in and around Richmond, VA where I live. So I would have to say "the people who live here".

10 What rejection in your life are you most grateful for? I am grateful for being rejected by my friend Liz in graduate school. We started out by ride-sharing to school and quickly became fast friends. Liz rejected my friendship when I betrayed a confidence involving another classmate Susan. I said something to Susan that tipped her off that Liz had revealed to me something personal about Susan that she had told Liz in confidence. Susan felt betrayed by Liz, and Liz felt betrayed by me. It was a life's lesson that I should have learned at a much younger age, but I learned it well and painfully this time, and paid dearly for it by losing Liz as a friend. It was excruciating. I apologized, but the damage had been done.

11 Something you use every day: I use my hot water kettle every day and I am consciously grateful for it every time I use it. I think, what a great little hot water kettle this is! every day, lol

12 Something you don’t need anymore.: I no longer need my beloved John Deere lawn tractor. Time to dispose of it.

13 Refuge – space you love in your home: In my new home (apartment), I love my very own room. It has things I love in it and is a calm oasis.

14 Item of clothing: I have a navy blue with white polka dots dress I love. Sometimes I wear red Danskins with it. And a string of fake pearls.

15 Taste: Comice pears with brie and Riesling

16 Touch: Casper the Cat's dense white fur (just a memory now)

17 Smell: Lily of the Valley

18 Sound: Snoring doggies

19 Sight: Nebraska sunrises and sunsets.

20 Texture: Silk

21 Color: Coke Bottle Green Sea Glass

22 A song that makes you happy: Scott Joplin Maple Leaf Rag

23 Type of weather you love: Summer lighting storms

24 Professional who helps you: Waiters, especially lately as we transition into our new community.

25 Something you take for granted: potable water

26 A TV show that you look forward to watching: CBS Sunday Morning

27 A movie you watch over and over: The Holiday

28 An opportunity you’re grateful you had: July 20, 1977 - Harry Chapin at Merriweather Post Pavilion

29 A place you love to visit: Sanibel

30 A tool you find incredibly useful: Not sure this is a tool, but my Seal-A-Meal is a godsend. I’m also rather partial to my cordless drill, level, and tape measure. The strawberry huller gadget is pretty awesome, too. And the egg slicer.

31 A daily habit you’re happy you’ve cultivated: That’s easy. I check in with my MFP group every day. It’s a lifeline for me.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    Katla ((hugs)) and prayers for your DH and you. Glad your DD is near and you were able to visit him in hospital. ((hugs)) and prayers.

31 A “daily-ish” ;) habit you’re happy you’ve cultivated. PT exercises, keep me moving pain free.

Monthly average weight down 0.3 lb to 137.7 so ending the month and the year a tiny bit lighter. Spending a week in my pjs took a toll on daily step count, over 2K short of goal steps. Don’t want this to be my maintenance weight so have some thinking/changing to do.

Joe took the dogs and me to Harris Beach campground this morning, hooray! After brunch I would normally nap, (and wanted to!) but instead took Shadow to dog group for the first time in weeks. Good brisk pack walk and exercises. Gorgeous warm(ish) sunshine, so glad I took advantage of the break in the rain.

Struggling to find a word or motto that resonates for 2023. Want to be cheerful, flexible, active, giving, resilient, even-tempered and present but nothing just says “Yes, that’s it!”

Happy New Year Machka and Heather!
    Welcome @carolhemma3415 Carol in Mx.
    KJ safe travels. Big hugs held extra long for your sad little family. Always the hardest but last, most loving thing that can be done.
    Ginny con VERY grats for your first smoke-free year. “… didn't actually do any of the things I thought of doing to some people at work…” :laugh:
    Betsy so sorry your in-laws are pressuring you to permit them to do something your husband would not have wanted. In my opinion, saying they will still love you, but your relationship will be different, well, that’s on them. Be true to yourself and your dearly departed.
    Lisa yours to Betsy. In spades. Likewise everyone else’s.
    Pip your highlight from 2022, truth that.
    Margaret what a lot of troubles, first the garage door, then car snowed in, finally thermostat failing. Time for a nap indeed!
    Carla thanks for your tweaked gratitude list.
    Lanette… “but thanks for asking. How about this weather?” rotflmao!
    Carol “The smell of the chocolate makes me feel like pounds are adding on and I haven't even had any. Not even a taste!” I read somewhere that just LOOKING at a picture of fattening food in a magazine stimulates the hormones that store fat. That you can gain weight by just looking. SMH :astonished:
    Rori love the “new body” meme and look forward to seeing some of your calendar pics.

It’s 8:40 pm here so Happy New Year to those on the East Coast. Our neighbors have been shooting off their guns since mid-afternoon and the dogs respond by barking. Not sure I’ll make it to midnight, so see you in the January 2023 thread.

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2022: Be still and listen.
    December: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.