Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    <3
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,606 Member
    Options
    This may end up being a couple of posts as I read....
    Lanette I have been using Zenigan for several years now as my hair was falling out badly. It has helped me lots. I am even growing some hair back in a couple of really fine spots at my temples. It is expensive, but is worth it to me. I ran out once and couldn't get back to my hair colorist.....my hair started falling out in clumps again after about 4 weeks. You use it every other day at first. I have used it so long now that I manage about every 3 days or so.

Rebecca I wrote down the names of the books to read. Thank you. I do need to figure this out as I am feeling unhealthy physically. Mentally just still tired. Thank you for your suggestions.

Lisa OMG woman! Perfectionism and procrastination. If I can't get it done right, then I do tend to put it off. Yes, that includes house cleaning. I am going to "blame" my father. He always told me school was my job and expected nothing but perfection in that area. I have a hard time delegating and trusting that someone else is going to do the task to my expectations. So with that in mind, I am going to set goals, but not get too caught up in detailing them. I know what they are and will figure out how to get there with trial and error. I believe one of the reasons I dropped off here was that I couldn't do it 100% and logging was just one more to do on my list. Thank you for giving my feelings descriptions I can relate to.

Machka Nose looks great! You and Pip are amazing at sharing your progress in such an easy process. I just have to figure out how to do this for me without complicating it I reckon. Thanks for the ideas though!

I reckon I needed to hear all of these ideas and they have given me much to think about. I need to learn that sometimes done in a timely manner is good enough.

Much love,
    Kylia in Ohio
  • kymarai
    edited December 2022
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Kylia-Pray tell-how do you live in the Miami Valley and nearly never take anything for sinuses?

I have been using local honey in my coffee for 4-5 years now. Just any honey doesn't work, it needs to be close to your location. The store I use to get it at quit carrying the local and had some from Northern Ohio. Within 2 weeks, I had to start allergy meds again. I am really lucky to have a guy not far up the street as well as a customer who have both kept me in honey for the past 2 years. The funny thing is that I don't drink coffee much any other time if I don't have any honey. I will also use an extra spoon of honey during the day if I feel like allergies are acting up. It usually helps.
  • kymarai
    Options
    So ran a couple of errands with DH after work then I know he wanted to stop and get dinner out, but I told him I already had chicken thawed. Was suppose to have sweet potatoes with the pan fried chicken breasts, but they were bad. Whole grain rice instead. DH will eat it with lots of gravy. Dinner was good. Also steamed the last of the broccoli in the drawer. Kitchen is clean again, laundry is done, floor is mopped.
    I really need to catch up on work this weekend. We will see how that goes. We are off tomorrow. Our only NYE plans are to join a few other couples for dinner at one of their houses. Probably won't stay terribly long, but will be nice to visit especially with homemade food.
    DH already chomping at bit on what needs to get done. I reckon I better start undoing more Christmas stuffs to get boxed up before he has a meltdown!

<3
    Kylia in Ohio trying to keep her sanity and health
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Hmmm-so instead of save draft I hit post reply on first comment!

Kylia-I had my Fitbit linked to the web version of it. Keeps track of all that stuff for a year or more.

Debbie-I totally understand what you mean about time and anniversaries. Hope you find peace in good memories.

Rebecca-I do not believe I know anyone who takes more genuine enjoyment from every meal!

Lanette-random thought regarding hair-have they ever tested your thyroid? Messed up thyroid levels can cause hair loss.

Rita-your list is spot on. The primary American diet is a train wreck. The sad part is that so many people can not afford to purchase healthier foods nor have them available to them. Food deserts are too real.

Karen-Lillybelle just looks so happy!

Regarding sugar-I first started to be aware of its nasty side in late 70's early 80s. I read a book by William Duffy called "Sugar Blues." It is still available on Amazon. In fact, I just ordered a copy for myself. It may also be accessible at libraries. Once I refresh myself on details, I can summarize. As I recall, he detailed the amount of products that sugar is in and had a significant discussion of some of the carcinogenic effects of it. Obvious it didn't keep my from eating all sugar, but it did, I believe, help me at least go through moderation phases.

Fatigue seems to be improving somewhat-as is inflammation. I have been drinking ginger and turmeric tea so I think that is helping joints. I have ordered some loose leaf teas. I used to enjoy them so much (and the ability to make my own blends) I have decided to give them a try again and back off from coffee a bit. I also have increased my D3. I have a tendency to low D (the long term thyroid suppression therapy impacts this). It can very subtly tank on you. Also, I feel better when my D level is greater that what is considered acceptable. I have read a lot of thyroid cancer patients have same experience. Can't hurt to increase a bit. I will ask Endo if she has any ideas on joint pain when I see her-I want to make sure it is not a side effect of the Fosomax.

Well, I think I will fold the basket of laundry that has been staring at me since yesterday. Will have my tea while doing that.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,535 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,849 Member
    Options
    Hair - A few weeks ago, I mentioned my hair is getting thinner. Not only does it appear there's less of it, what's left is a lot finer than the thick red hair I had 30 years ago. Heredity? Diet - maybe not enough protein? Stress? Likely combo.

Not sure that it's fixable at this stage in my life, but I am looking for recommendations for hair products. For years I used a thick rinse-out conditioner made for curly hair that didn't weight it down, added shine and kept it from getting frizzy. Of course they've quit making it. Ideas welcome.

I need to treat myself to a shop haircut after the first of the year.

Make it a good day, ladies. Back later.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

A lot of my hair fell out when my husband had his accident.

I wear my hair in a braid when I cycle (and garden), and I didn't notice until I braided my hair for a bicycle ride a couple months after his accident. My braid was a skinny rat tail compared with the usual fat and fluffy braid it is.

However, it started growing back in a few months later and it's back to normal now.

One thing you might want to do is have a full set of bloodwork, especially thyroid. I forget which way it is, but if your thyroid is off you can loose hair.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Had my second post-op appointment this morning. It went well- The doctor is very happy with how it looks, for it only being two weeks out. He came in 5 min. late and I was out of there five minutes later.
    So glad I can go back to having my herbal tea and sleep aids. Insomnia was really bad last night. Finally broke down and just took the pills when I was still awake at 2:30AM- asleep by 3 and woken up at 6. I am totally exhausted now and have 4 more hours with my daycare girl.

Today marks two years since my dad passed away. In some ways it doesn't seem that long but in other ways, seems so much longer. I am sure mom feels the same way.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

I'm glad to hear you're healing well too. :)

My surgeon recommended I get lots of rest after the surgery because that helps with the healing, so I've been using a strong allergy med before bed most nights since the surgery which knocks me out for about 10 hours.

I go back to work next week, so I plan to stop using it a night or two in advance of that and just use my usual tea and meletonin.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Regarding Goals ...

For me, setting daily goals is a sure way to failure.

For example, if I say that I am going to walk at least 1 km every single day, I will fail that within a couple weeks.

However, if I set a monthly goal, I have a much greater chance of success.

For example, I try to walk 50 km each month. I don't have to walk each day to accomplish that so if something comes up and I can't walk one day, that's OK. And most months I can successfully walk 50 km.

Or if I say I'm going to have fresh or frozen veggies with every single dinner ... I'll fail that.
    But if I say I'm going to have fresh or frozen veggies with most (like 5 out of 7) dinners this week ... chances are I'll succeed. (We don't usually have fresh or frozen veggies on pizza night but we usually do the rest of the week)

I like to build flexibility into my goals because I know that life throws me curve balls and I won't be able to maintain perfection. And that's OK.

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,694 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies
    Got together with my old work friends at the same restaurant i went to this afternoon but ,just had a drink and a couple of french fries..
  • Machka9
    Options
    Let's hear your highlights from 2022.

:):):)
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,944 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Had my second post-op appointment this morning. It went well- The doctor is very happy with how it looks, for it only being two weeks out. He came in 5 min. late and I was out of there five minutes later.
    So glad I can go back to having my herbal tea and sleep aids. Insomnia was really bad last night. Finally broke down and just took the pills when I was still awake at 2:30AM- asleep by 3 and woken up at 6. I am totally exhausted now and have 4 more hours with my daycare girl.

Today marks two years since my dad passed away. In some ways it doesn't seem that long but in other ways, seems so much longer. I am sure mom feels the same way.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

I'm glad to hear you're healing well too. :)

My surgeon recommended I get lots of rest after the surgery because that helps with the healing, so I've been using a strong allergy med before bed most nights since the surgery which knocks me out for about 10 hours.

I go back to work next week, so I plan to stop using it a night or two in advance of that and just use my usual tea and meletonin.

M in Oz

I have a problem with many allergy type meds that will usually cause drowsiness in most people because it does the opposite to me. Benadryl will have me up all night!

I am so glad I can take my pills- they are homeopathic - Hyland's Biochemic Phosphates. Works faster than melatonin and no drowsiness the next day. Problem is I went to order another bottle and can't find them at either Amazon or Hyland's webside. I still have quite a bit left(1000 in a bottle- and dose is 4) but a friend was interested in it. I emailed Hylands to find out if they discontinued it.

I have one more week before daycare girl goes back to school so I will take it easy this coming week. Weather is going to be WET all week so won't want to be out in it anyways.

Which teas do you like to help you sleep?

Debbie

• kymarai
    Options
    Machka was just thinking something similar to what you said about goals. Broader is better for me too.

Highlights for 2022....
    Cataract surgery made a big difference in seeing clearer.(February)
    Driving at Charlotte motor speedway (March)
    Easter with family (April)
    Senior parade and Whole family together for Granddaughter's HS graduation (May)
    Meds for depression(july)
    Car shows/farm weekends(June, July, August)
    Vacation in Tennessee (September)
    Coffee date with girlfriend and grandson's football game on a Saturday (October)
    Successful ablation surgery for husband, granddaughter's play, Thanksgiving, theater with daughter and grandaughter (November)
    Granddaughter's dance recital, theater with daughter, coffee date with friend, Christmas decorating with husband, weekend getaway with husband, hillbilly Christmas parade, Christmas with family (December)

Taking some time off from work helped!

Thank you for making me look back on the positives for 2022!

Got a good part of Christmas stuffs packed up.

Bedtime!

Kylia sleepy in Ohio

• teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    <3
    Betsy in NW WA
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    29 A place you love to visit. Lone Ranch Beach
    30 A tool you find incredibly useful. My iphone. Calendar, alarm clock, reminders, flashlight, internet interface, email. Would be lost without it.

Another note on checks vs cards. Our dentist gives us a 5% discount if we pay by check instead of card. He accepts CareCredit which lets us stretch payments out over 6 months with no interest. That and our mortgage is the only recurring debt we have. Card fees keep going up so I use checks for all donations and gifts (for the same reasons as Barbie gave.) Cell phone, Cable and Internet are autopaid from a credit card that gives reward points. Groceries and Amazon also paid by credit card for reward points, which I redeem every month as a credit toward the balance due.

Michele be careful to investigate what kind of jack is on the drum set. I’m struggling with jack incompatibilities, between my iphone (and its charging cord), my wireless earbuds, my laptop and the jacks in my car to get the music from the iphone to the radio speakers. Fooey!
    Beth no tattoos here either, too needle-averse.
    Ginny have you made an appointment with Social Security/Medicare? When I was 64 the wait time for an appointment was two months. I wasn’t going to retire at 65 but needed to learn about Medicare including Part B and Part D. My employer’s heath insurance acted at Part B and D supplements until I retired, needed to have new plans setup before I left.
    Kylia 10K steps and arm twirls/body twist despite migraine? Brava! Like you I do know what needs to be done and struggle to actually do it. Alas, I also tend to analyze to paralysis… spending hours on a spreadsheet calculating percentages of goals met when I could be getting up off my butt and actually meeting those goals [sigh].
    Karen in VA yours to Heather about the cards not doing the wonderful original watercolors justice. As for your truly ugly painting, some of the most powerful art is NOT pretty.
    Heather the cover that you asked “Too complicated?” is the one I like best. Also liked Kylia’s suggestion about the line separating your eyes from the rest of your face and all of Lisa’s comments/interpretations.
    Machka not so scary at all… you’re healing beautifully and the scars are flat not thickened. Hooray! They will not be noticeable after awhile. Trust me.
    Katla hope your headache went away quickly.
    Lisa “spending more time writing about what I was doing than just doing it.” I resemble that remark.
    Lanette stress takes a terrible toll on our hair.
    Pip what Karen in VA said about that pic of you walking the pack. That is a Christmas card I’d like to receive!
    Allie when did Myles start eating with a spoon? They grow up too darnedfast!
    Rita the arthritis foundation also cautions against aspartame. https://www.arthritis.org/health-wellness/healthy-living/nutrition/foods-to-limit/8-food-ingredients-that-can-cause-inflammation
    Rebecca your plate of heaven really does sound heavenly (except for the tomatoes :sick: ) After a week of soup, I really craved raw veggies/salads.

After staying home for a week, finally felt strong enough to venture out to post office, liquor store (for champagne), Freddie's and to do the recycling. Wiped me out. Will go to dog group tomorrow if there’s a break in the rain, otherwise will keep de-cluttering, filing, organizing and excavating the office. The piles of paper are shrinking!

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2022: Be still and listen.
    December: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,109 Member
    Options
    Katla I hope everything goes well for your husband. Keeping you and your family in my prayers 💕

💕Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,200 Member
    Options
    Katla - Sending lots of love across the ocean. <3<3<3

2022 was a very good year for me. I published another book, 'Where Am I?'' I went on two amazing, wonderful, cruises. We continued to be a big part of our grandchildren's lives. <3 And we learnt to paint! Another highlight is discovering inspiring podcasts. And venturing onto Instagram.
    My biggest achievement was to have more everyday joy. :) To be more relaxed about most things. To let things be. To dare more, because I am less afraid of getting things wrong. I have learnt that strong boundaries can expand you.
    I hope to be even more FREE in 2023. Both my husband and I do not have much time left on this earth. I am not going to waste it.

Love to all on this thread as we enjoy the last day of the year. DH is cooking dinner! Hairy Bikers' Lancashire Hotpot, with black pudding and kidney. We are drinking Fullers London Porter with it, a chocolaty beer. At midnight, we will toast the New Year with whisky. :p

Heather UK xxxxxxxx