WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,238 Member
    Options
    I am recording a 1968 film to watch tonight. 'Carry On Up the Kyber'. I don't know if you in the US are familiar with the old Carry On films, but this one is about the best. We hope to laugh our way towards the new year. :p

Had a long phone chat with my friend L. Her ex husband has just died. It all adds to the gloom for her of this time of year with the first anniversary of her partner's death plus the first one of her BIL's death. But she is surviving. She has the same horrible cough that my other friends G and P have. A lot of it about, as they say.

Haven't heard from the family about the move. They should have got the keys to the apartment today and their lease starts tomorrow. Won't be able to move in properly until the bank holiday is over. We are having the kids for most of Tuesday while my DDIL works.
    Then Max on Wednesday.

Love you all. Welcome Carol.
    Heather UK xxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,058 Member
    Options
    Agree about sugar and inflammation. Unfortunately DH decided since we celebrated Christmas late because of the weather he hit the after Christmas candy sale. He gave me 5 boxes of Chocolate for Christmas. Unfortunately I bought some after Christmas candy too. I will take some to church to share and to my painting group when I start up again. I will limit myself to one to two a day. The up side is it makes me not want to have any candy in the house period. Funny how overload makes you feel that way.

Hectic past two days. From Thursday - Friday Celebrated Christmas. Had to drive DH to his appointment because our garage door broke on Tuesday and my car was the one left out. Garage fixed on Friday morning. They woke me up at 7 to fix it. Driveway icy and my car covered in snow and ice. Needed to move both cars so he could work on it. The tech actually shoveled Driveway while waiting for me to dig out my car. I did tip him. I had friends over in the afternoon. An hour before they came over the thermostat went out and I used a space heater and our ductless heater to compensate.

Garage is now fixed...Driveway freed on ice.. Had a great time with my friends...DH was able to fix the thermostat in the evening...When I had the garage fixed I was glad DH was not up because for Christmas I upgraded the rollers so it is quieter to operate. DH did notice and commented on what a great job the tech did. I probably should have left it at that but I admitted the truth. He did frown somewhat at the additional cost. At least I didn't say this is my present to myself to make up for the 5 boxes of half price candy. He also did make up for it in fixing the thermostat so quickly. With it being New Years it would not have gotten fixed til the middle of next week and would have cost more than the roller upgrade. Plus we would have had to use space heaters and our ductless unit. Heating this way is much more expensive than having our furnace working.

Today I was supposed to meet friends for lunch and then we are seeing the Uffizi exhibit at the Art Institute. This art collection rarely leaves Italy and there is only one week left to see this exhibit. Due to how hectic the past two days were I will skip the lunch and just meet them there so then I can check on our son's house after the exhibit.

Time for a nap!!!

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,565 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    29 A place you love to visit. Lone Ranch Beach
    30 A tool you find incredibly useful. My iphone. Calendar, alarm clock, reminders, flashlight, internet interface, email. Would be lost without it.

Another note on checks vs cards. Our dentist gives us a 5% discount if we pay by check instead of card. He accepts CareCredit which lets us stretch payments out over 6 months with no interest. That and our mortgage is the only recurring debt we have. Card fees keep going up so I use checks for all donations and gifts (for the same reasons as Barbie gave.) Cell phone, Cable and Internet are autopaid from a credit card that gives reward points. Groceries and Amazon also paid by credit card for reward points, which I redeem every month as a credit toward the balance due.

Michele be careful to investigate what kind of jack is on the drum set. I’m struggling with jack incompatibilities, between my iphone (and its charging cord), my wireless earbuds, my laptop and the jacks in my car to get the music from the iphone to the radio speakers. Fooey!
    Beth no tattoos here either, too needle-averse.
    Ginny have you made an appointment with Social Security/Medicare? When I was 64 the wait time for an appointment was two months. I wasn’t going to retire at 65 but needed to learn about Medicare including Part B and Part D. My employer’s heath insurance acted at Part B and D supplements until I retired, needed to have new plans setup before I left.
    Kylia 10K steps and arm twirls/body twist despite migraine? Brava! Like you I do know what needs to be done and struggle to actually do it. Alas, I also tend to analyze to paralysis… spending hours on a spreadsheet calculating percentages of goals met when I could be getting up off my butt and actually meeting those goals [sigh].
    Karen in VA yours to Heather about the cards not doing the wonderful original watercolors justice. As for your truly ugly painting, some of the most powerful art is NOT pretty.
    Heather the cover that you asked “Too complicated?” is the one I like best. Also liked Kylia’s suggestion about the line separating your eyes from the rest of your face and all of Lisa’s comments/interpretations.
    Machka not so scary at all… you’re healing beautifully and the scars are flat not thickened. Hooray! They will not be noticeable after awhile. Trust me.
    Katla hope your headache went away quickly.
    Lisa “spending more time writing about what I was doing than just doing it.” I resemble that remark.
    Lanette stress takes a terrible toll on our hair.
    Pip what Karen in VA said about that pic of you walking the pack. That is a Christmas card I’d like to receive!
    Allie when did Myles start eating with a spoon? They grow up too darnedfast!
    Rita the arthritis foundation also cautions against aspartame. https://www.arthritis.org/health-wellness/healthy-living/nutrition/foods-to-limit/8-food-ingredients-that-can-cause-inflammation
    Rebecca your plate of heaven really does sound heavenly (except for the tomatoes :sick: ) After a week of soup, I really craved raw veggies/salads.

After staying home for a week, finally felt strong enough to venture out to post office, liquor store (for champagne), Freddie's and to do the recycling. Wiped me out. Will go to dog group tomorrow if there’s a break in the rain, otherwise will keep de-cluttering, filing, organizing and excavating the office. The piles of paper are shrinking!

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2022: Be still and listen.
    December: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.

Awww thanks

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,565 Member
    Options
    Thinking of you katla
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,567 Member
    Options
    teklawa1 wrote: »
    Wishing everyone well as we go into a new year. Especially today thinking of Katla and hoping today brings good news. Kelly thinking of you as you join your family. Such a sad time losing a loved fur baby and without any notice.

I'm working on my word for 2023 and it hard to narrow it down to one word. I have so many issues that I know I have to work on. I'll make a decision by the end of the day.

I"m throwing a situation out into a spoiler. Would appreciate any thoughts people have.
    My husband died last March. He was a Methodist and me a Friend (formerly Quaker). His brother and wife converted to Church of Latter Day Saints many years ago. They are wonderful people and I love them. They have often brought up religion over the years and Jack and I firmly and gently let them know we are happy with our beliefs and have no interest in converting. Well now I'm getting phone calls with lots of pressure to give permission for Jack to be converted after death... with baptism and a ceremony sealing our marraige. They say they can do this w/o my permission but would like my permission. Also they say they would still "love" me but our relationship would be different if I don't agree.
    Jack would not be happy with his brother and family. He wouldn't want the babtism or sealing in the temple. I'm sad and I'm feeling pushed. Religion for Jack and myself was very personal. I am sure neither the Methodists or the Friends wouldn't claim either of us.

Last day of the year..... still working on my word and on what the highlights of my year might have been. I'll be back later today.

Betsy in NW WA

Regrading the spoiler issue, that's a hard no. I wouldn't appreciate the manipulation, it's ridiculous and insulting. The LDS church got into trouble with the Jewish community around this same issue years ago, and they had to stop baptizing and sealing by proxy Jews after they died. I have really strong feelings about this because I have inlaws that are LDS and constantly complain how the Christian churches don't accept them, then I point out that they obviously don't accept us because they are constantly trying to convert us, even after we're dead!

Sorry you are dealing with this.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Oh Katla... saying prayers for you and DH.

Hi Carol, welcome.

Happy New Year, Machka!

Personally, Betsy, DO NOT ALLOW anyone to tell you what to do with your husband's remains, especially WITHOUT your permission! That they would even think about doing something like this without your permission and AFTER his death is absolutely apalling, IMO. You need to put your foot down and tell them, in no uncertain terms, that it will not be tolerated and if they attempt to do anything like that, IDK... you'll take legal action. (if you can) I agree with Heather about words that cannot be said in polite company.

31 A daily habit you’re happy you’ve cultivated: coming here to chat with all of you friends!
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN

If anyone is interested... I have come up with a new "gratitude list" for January. It's quite different, I think. Certainly not something you have to respond to everyday, just do or don't, but I thought I'd share today in case you want to use it.

I really, REALLY like this gratitude thing, so I grabbed a boatload of these lists and I tweaked it big time! So I'm going to keep it going... myself. One day you're doing, or NOT doing... like the 1st, the next day you're thinking/reflecting.
    1 Sit in silence for three minutes... it's harder than you think
    2 List 5 things using each of your senses
    3 Let go of at least 5 items in your house
    4 What was your favorite Christmas gift? (this year or ever)
    5 Move for at least 30 minutes today
    6 Share a goal you achieved last year
    7 Slow down and savor one meal today
    8 Who was your favorite teacher
    9 Create something today
    10 What is your favorite lyric from a song
    11 Send a card/note to someone today
    12 What are you looking forward to in 2023?
    13 Tell a random person they look "good" today
    14 Tell us three amazing things that happened recently (you decide what "recently" means...lol)
    15 Call or text someone you haven't talked to in at least a week
    16 What made you smile today
    17 Take a photo of something you're grateful for
    18 What material comforts are you most thankful for? You can make your list as long as you like...
    19 Write a positive review for a company for goods or services you've received recently
    20 Write down five things you like about yourself
    21 Pay it forward in some way
    22 What do you most desire in your life right now?
    23 Go an entire day without complaining
    24 What about you makes you special?
    25 Spend time with a loved one
    26 When was the last time you felt pure joy?
    27 Hold the door for a stranger... or a friend
    28 What fear have you overcome?
    29 Engage in a random act of kindness of your own choice
    30 When was the last time you laughed so hard you almost peed?
    31 Now try to "meditate" (sit in silence) for ten minutes...
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,353 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    teklawa1 wrote: »
    Wishing everyone well as we go into a new year. Especially today thinking of Katla and hoping today brings good news. Kelly thinking of you as you join your family. Such a sad time losing a loved fur baby and without any notice.

I'm working on my word for 2023 and it hard to narrow it down to one word. I have so many issues that I know I have to work on. I'll make a decision by the end of the day.

I"m throwing a situation out into a spoiler. Would appreciate any thoughts people have.
    My husband died last March. He was a Methodist and me a Friend (formerly Quaker). His brother and wife converted to Church of Latter Day Saints many years ago. They are wonderful people and I love them. They have often brought up religion over the years and Jack and I firmly and gently let them know we are happy with our beliefs and have no interest in converting. Well now I'm getting phone calls with lots of pressure to give permission for Jack to be converted after death... with baptism and a ceremony sealing our marraige. They say they can do this w/o my permission but would like my permission. Also they say they would still "love" me but our relationship would be different if I don't agree.
    Jack would not be happy with his brother and family. He wouldn't want the babtism or sealing in the temple. I'm sad and I'm feeling pushed. Religion for Jack and myself was very personal. I am sure neither the Methodists or the Friends wouldn't claim either of us.

Last day of the year..... still working on my word and on what the highlights of my year might have been. I'll be back later today.

Betsy in NW WA

Betsy - <3

I agree with Lisa and Heather and the other gals here - I think it's Ok to say "Jack and I had discussions about this, and he was vehement that it's not what he would have wanted. But thanks for asking. How about this weather?"

You probably can't stop them if that's what they want to do.

"Conditional" love isn't love. I feel sorry for anyone involved in a religion that thinks it is.

Lanette

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    Betsy I agree with what the others have said. If it was a hard no before death, It is STILL are hard NO even after death. I am SMH had the gall of some people.

Prayers for All especially Katla and her family.

Christmas is ready to be taken to the barn. Floors vacuumed. Leaf out of table. I am currently enjoying some empty spaces. I may "forget" where I put some of the items I put away to put out Christmas ;) Husband likes to see lots, I like empty spaces. Not sterile, just not every space covered. I let DH sleep in this morning. He woke up about 830! That is really late for him. By then I had all the light strings back in boxes, power cords in their tote, and a lot of the little stuffs in the totes. Couldn't do the tree as I didn't want to wake him up pulling in the ornament trunk. He helped me with that.

Have to go to shop today as for some reason my computer is shut down. I need to do work, but can't get logged on. Hopefully that will only take a minute. Onward and upward!

Kylia in rainy Ohio
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Betsy ... I echo all of the comments made so far regarding your husband's family ... they are NOT "wonderful people" by the way if they are bullying and using manipulation. Sadly, there is probably nothing you can do to stop them from going through with their plans, but I would certainly not give them your blessing. Hugs to you.

Katla ... I am praying for you and your husband.

Carol from Mexico ... Welcome!

Carla ... I'm in on the January gratitude calendar. Got lost this December and just couldn't keep up with that one.

Machka ... Happy New Year!

I'm looking back at 2022 and working on the 2023 goals. I'll post tomorrow.

Beth near Buffalo
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,567 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Thank you for your kindness for the situation of DH. My daughter will be taking me to the hospital today. Hopefully the hospital is helping him breathe better. I can hardly wait to see him.

Praying for you and your hubby, Katla. This has been a tough time.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    ‘What foods cause inflammation?
    There's more bad news: The problem foods are ones that happen to be abundant throughout the typical American diet.

The five types of foods that cause inflammation include:

Red meat and processed meats, including bacon, hot dogs, lunch meats and cured meats
    Refined grains, including white bread, white rice, pasta and breakfast cereals
    Snack foods, including chips, cookies, crackers and pastries
    Sodas and other sweetened drinks
    Fried foods

What these foods all have in common is that they contain added sugars, saturated fats and/or trans fats. With the exception of red meat, these are also all considered processed foods.

Alcohol can also cause inflammation.

What's more, alcohol is often combined with the aforementioned inflammation-promoting foods. When combined with refined grains, added sugars or mixed with soda, alcoholic drinks become a double whammy.”

RVRita in Nm

Rita - I love this! Great compilation. Where did you find it? I've been making an effort to shift away from most of these foods, only fall off the wagon was the "Snack food" category this past week.

Lanette

I did a search online. I also have a list from my doctor. He is a functional health professional and believes in prevention. Hence, I get bloodwork every 3 months that check different vitamin levels, cholesterol, hormones, and other markers including inflammation.

RVRita
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies!

Katla thinking of you in this troubled time.

Betsy, I like to think that any large group of people, like a religion, has both good and bad behavior in it. And I agree with the others, this is terrible behavior.

I had a good morning. My new bookcase is assembled and half full. My floor is more open and I feel better about the whole room. There's lots more to do, but so far so good. There are a lot of books that aren't even mine; they belong downstairs.

Well time to change out the laundry. I will keep thinking about a keyword.

Annie in Delaware

• kevrit
    Options
    2023 GOALS
    Word of the year: Appreciate :Definition—Recognize the full worth of.

cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week.
    Average 7,000 steps a week.
    Update budget every 2 weeks
    Contact close family every week (4x)
    Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)
    Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140.
    Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week.
    Read 12 books at least this year.
    Pay off credit card debt by January 2024
    Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)
    Grateful:
    1 What is something that makes you laugh? My two dogs, Wicket and Brownie every day the do something to make me laugh.
    2 Something about the current season you’re grateful for. The Christmas spirit making people nicer at this time of year.
    3 What about your body do you love/are you grateful for? My hair. It is white, pretty full with lots of body. Hairdressers always comment on how they like to work with my hair. Growing it out this winter. We will see how long I leave once the heat comes back!
    4 Who is someone in your life that you’re grateful for? My children and grandchildren.
    5 What is a book that changed your life? The Blooming of a Lotus by Thich Nhat Hann
    6 Think about something you’re good at. Customer service.
    7 What is a lesson you’re grateful you learned? To forgive myself.
    8 A basic need that has been met. My housing at the campground. Free for hosting
    9 What are you most grateful for in the city/town where you live? The blue skies and 300 days of sun!
    10 What rejection in your life are you most grateful for? Losing my job at the print shop. It allowed me to take early retirement, buy this camper after selling my house and travel!
    11 Something you use every day. My phone. I know I know, but like others, everything is on it!
    12 Something you don’t need anymore. A big house
    13 Refuge – space you love in your home: My bedroom
    14 Item of clothing—The coat I bought last January in TN
    December 15 Taste—sweets!
    December 16 Touch—The loving touches from my fur babies!
    December 17 Smell ——Baking bread
    December 18 Sound—birds singing
    December 19Sight —-Snow on the mountains (but not where I am! Lol)
    December 20 Texture—-The soft skin of a baby
    December 21 Color—Sky blue
    December 22 A song that makes you happy.—-Rock Around the Christmas Tree
    December 23 Type of weather you love. Sunshine and about 75 degrees
    December 24 —Professional who helps you. My therapist
    December 25 . Something you take for granted. The love of my family
    December 26 A TV show that you look forward to watching. The Simpson
    December 27 A movie you watch over and over.—Harry Potter
    December 28 An opportunity you’re grateful you had. To travel in June 2021 to visit families in TN and in New England.
    December 29 A place you love to visit.—The East Coast Ocean. I love to just walk the beaches.
    December 30 A tool you find incredibly useful.—I consider my cell phone a tool as I use it for ‘everything!’
    December 31 A daily habit you’re happy you’ve cultivated.—Coming to this forum every morning at breakfast!
    Kindness Calendar:
    December 1. “Spread kindness and share the December calendar with others”: Sharing on here and hope it helps someone.
    December 2.:Contact someone you can’t be with to see how they are: to be determined. I ended up talking to my uncle and a friend, both who live 2,000 miles away!
    Decembrist 3. Offer to help someone who is having
    difficulty at the moment. - I helped a mom fix her son’s bicycle.
    December 4. Support a charity, cause, or campaign you really care about. - I use Amazon Smile to
    5contribute to St. Jude’s Children Hospital
    every time I buy something, including gifts
    December 5. Leave a positive message for someone
    else to find. Left a note for DH with a
    chocolate kiss!
    December 6.Give a gift to someone who is homeless or feeling lonely. I made a person smile who was having a very bad day trying to get a campsite. I gave them one.
    December 7. Give kind comments to as many people as possible today. Done! Campers and DH
    December 8. Do something helpful for a friend or family
    member- I made an appointment for DH to get new glasses.
    December 9. Notice when you’re hard on yourself or others and be kind instead.
    December 10. Listen wholeheartedly to others without judging them.
    December 11. Buy an extra item and donate it to a local food bank.
    December 12. Be generous. Feed someone with food, love, or kindness today!
    December 13. See how many different people you can smile at today.
    December 14. Share a happy memory or inspiring thought with a loved one
    December 15. Contact an elderly neighbor and brighten up their day.
    December 16. Look for something positive to say to everyone you speak to.
    December 17. Give thanks. List the kind things others have done for you!
    December 18. Ask for help and let someone else discover the joy of giving.
    December 19. Contact someone who may be alone or feeling isolated. - Going to cal my Uncle
    December 20. Help others by giving away something that you don’t need
    December 21. Appreciate kindness and thank people who do things for you!
    December 22. Congratulate someone for an achievement that may go unnoticed.
    December 23. Choose to give or receive the gift of forgiveness.
    December 24.Bring joy to others. Share something which made you laugh.
    December 25. Treat everyone with kindness today, including yourself!
    December 26. Get outside. Pick up litter or do something kind for nature. We give breadcrumbs to the Southern
    Meadowlarks that come around our RV every winter. And we pick up litter every day!
    December 27. Call a relative who is far away to say hello and have a chat. (Did this yesterday. Called my uncle and talked to him for over 1.5 hrs)
    December 28. Be kind to the planet. Eat less meat and use less energy.
    December 29.Turn off digital devices and really listen to people.
    December 30. Let someone know how much you appreciate them and why.
    December 31. Plan some new acts of kindness to do in 2023.

RVRita in NM
  • kevrit
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Let's hear your highlights from 2022.

:):):)

My DD wedding in TN in January
    My son’s recovery from a mental break
    Starting therapy
    Change in depression medicines and finding one that works for me
    Sinus ablation
    Tooth pulled
    Teaching adults basic computer

RVRita
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    Carla I am in on the January Calendar too! Already copied and pasted to a Word Doc to keep track.

Kylia