WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Mary from southern Illinois. We are almost neighbors. I live in Evansville, Indiana which is in southwestern Indiana, practically the Indiana and Illinois border.

Time to fill all the medicine keepers for the week. It is a chore and a half. I keep on trying to get my husband involved but no go.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello friends!
    Happy sunday to all!
    Grandmallie and Joyce well done:drinker:
    Yanniejannie no I dont have the facility to ride here, but did when hubby was in the army. Glad u use your meditation tapes and they help.:happy:
    Katla happy to hear about all the good things, praying for your family .:heart:
    Welcome to all the new ladies.
    Heather how r u after knocking off the socks from everyone? Am waiting to read that story. Congrats to your son.
    Gardengail I could actually feel the joy of walking through the beautiful garden u described.
    Am trying hard to drink more water, hold my plank and increase my push ups. Does it count if we move our feet like in a sideways march while in plank or should it be a focused holding?
    Last night I tripped, pizza night, half way through I remembered all of you and the urge to plough through vanished. The good thing didnt feel guilty or unhappy with myself. Thanks friends.... that's a huge one for me.
    Prayers for all who need it and cheers to all who deserve it :bigsmile:

Anamika
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :embarassed: :embarassed: Hi everyone (I hope you remember me, I've not posted since July) :embarassed: :embarassed: Hope you don't mind if I join you again.

:ohwell: I need to get back on track as I feel I'm back to square 1! So what better way than to get back to you wonderful ladies with your motivational posts :smile:

Life is still the same here with me, and it will take a while for me to catch up with you all again, but I'm looking forward to it.

I can't promise to post every day, but I will try at least a few times a week!

I'm still very busy at work, and looking into taking early retirement, I doubt I'll be able to afford it - in any case I will need to get another part time job - but if I could take a lump sum now and a small pension from work - well you never know, It would surely help my work life balance - I can but dream.

I'm going to have a quick look at the posts to see what has been happening with you then I'd better get some work done.

Love
    Viv
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    Well Sweet Mother of God~ I finally hit the 50 lb mark.... Today is a very joyous day for me:drinker: :bigsmile:
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: grandmallie congradulations to you ,that has been a long time in coming for you and quite an accomplishment, doing many happy dance steps to celebrate with you!!:drinker: :drinker:
  • seinfeldlove
    seinfeldlove Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Good morning and happy Sunday. I'm fairly new to MFP and have been lurking here on your thread for awhile. Coming out of lurking to ask how you ladies manage your MFP plan. My goals are set at 1200 calories a day, but my TDEE (according to the 2 sites people are directed to repeatedly) is between 1400-150-0 a day. I've lost about 15 lbs, but have not lost in nearly 3 weeks. I'm wondering if the same advise applies to us as to the younger people on here, that is to eat back all your exercise calories. I ride a stationary bike, sometimes burning as much as 600 calories a day, others a lot less. But I hardly ever ate them back. I kept hearing that it's harder to lose as you get older, so I don't know if my being stuck now is due to age or too few calories for the amount of exercise. Any insight or advice would be so appreciated.
    p.s. I don't open my food diary, just don't want everyone to see and criticize my choices. Some of these people on here can be brutally blunt! I'm willing to open it this if it helps anyone on this thread point me in the right direction.
    Thanks
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Good Morning;

****** Yanniejannie- Sounds like your cat either brought you home a *gift*...or the mouse wanted a bath...I am your cartoon lady who jumps on a chair and hopes the mouse will leave..unless it is already dead...but our cat mostly brought them home alive

****** Grandmallie- Good for you..you should feel proud of the lbs lost...there is a lot of sweat and tears into losing each one of those stubborn lbs :grumble:

****** Teenysmom9- Welcome to the group!!!

****** Pat- I understand how you feel about getting a mauled haircut...I looked like minny mouse after one I got....the hair was almost gone and my ears stuck out like rabbit wires on each side :noway: :grumble:

****** Jane - Congrats on being an aunt again!!! :smile:

****** Joyce - A bridal shop is where my daughter bought her prom dresses the last couple of years in school...and they are no more expensive then buying them at another dress shop...good luck!! There was nothing like spending $$$ on a gown they only wear once :noway: But their lovely face when they pick out their dream dress...at least until they marry...

****** Gail - The gardens you visited sound so soothing and beautiful...

****** Barbie - Sounds like you went hungry at that meeting

****** Nancy - Sounds like fun making decorative cookies..I used to decorate my own cakes but when the sickness and pain moved here... I gave it up

****** - Jodios- Going for a bra fitting is something I have been putting off...because I haven't lost the weight I want...my daughter had hers done and she says it makes a big difference in how her clothes fit also...especially fitted.....

****** Michele - Sounds like you had a nice relaxing time by the pool..that is a great way to spend a few hours especially if the heat is still sticking around

****** Katla- You need a gold star for doing your deck yourselves...tried it..hated the sanding part the most..

****** Anamika - You did so much better then me eating your pizza..I couldn't stop at one piece :sad:

****** Viv - I also post sporadically.....I come on and read some posts and do not post every time..I love reading how they spend their days...I have little to write about...

I am slowly getting back to exercising..but boy I need to watch *what* I eat... and look for an item like it ...in less calories... I hope everyone has a great Sunday.....Take Care!! :flowerforyou:

Liz from Halifax NS
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Well Sweet Mother of God~ I finally hit the 50 lb mark.... Today is a very joyous day for me:drinker: :bigsmile:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Doing the happy dance with you. :bigsmile: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • SunnyD0913
    Options
    Good MORNING MFPals..............:yawn:

Katia49 - Good Luck with the deck. :glasses:
    Joyce - 39lbs, WTG :bigsmile:
    Anamika - Drink your Water :drinker:
    Wizzywig - Welcome
    Grandmallie - CONGRATS, 50 lbs :bigsmile:
    Seinfeldlove - Welcome

Just went to breakfast with my Hubby :heart: . Just had eggs and toast. I have another cold, YUCK :sick: Not too bad .I'll live. Not much planned for the day.

Happy, Happy Sunday. :wink:

Darla from OHIO
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Good Sunday Morning, Ladies-

I am rather sad this morning. A wonderful, vibrant woman with whom I taught for many years passed away a few weeks ago. She was kind, caring, generous, and carried her family financially & emotionally for all the years I knew her. Well, I just got off the phone w/ my niece, who also knew & loved her, who related the story of the woman's funeral. Her daughter's held it in a bar w/ a bar table serving to hold the urn. I am so sad for her. She deserved so much more. I know that I shouldn't be so judgmental, but could they not have at least held it in the mortuary? I just don't get it.

I can't really think very clearly right now, so I will come back later, after I have calmed myself.

Pat

These are the notes I had made before the phone rang:

Jane- Congratulations on the shopping success and the new nephew! I can imagine that awesome new baby smell and those soft little feet! I think I need a baby hug!

Joyce- It might not have been a good walk for you, but you got to be with your daughter and with animals outside. That's a positive. The large t-shirt is also a positive, afterall, you can get into it, you know it will fit soon, and you can be proud of that. Good for you!

Gail- Gibbs' Garden sounds wonderful.

Nancy- I have not been able to get anything but vincas to grow here in Green Valley. I have the yard where plants come to die! I have even taken classes from the Master Gardener's out of the U of Ariz, and I still can't figure out how to grow things. I am giving it up, and I am only planting cacti from now on. I applaud you for doing so well with the cookie artists. That would have set me off, for sure! Congratulations on that NSV.

Judios- Thank Heaven's the puppies were OK. It was nice of the store to call you instead of animal control. I hope you called the guy who left the gate open and gave him the 'whatfor'.

Michele- You are right, the cravings for sugar are pretty strong, according to the people I know who are in AA. Up in MN, the little local cafe always donated donuts and rolls to the AA meeting because the owners knew that craving was strong. I guess Dr. Oz is right when he says salt, sugar and fats are the most addictive natural substances.
    They do ask about meds when you give blood. I have never been able to donate because of that and the low iron/red blood counts. I wish I could.

Katla- Congrats on the deck work! You have every right to be proud of your hard work.

Grandmallie- Awesome! Congratulations! Bravo! You really are awesome, ya know!

Seinfeldlove- Happy Sunday! Welcome to the group, you will find lots of supportive people here. It is true that we wise women over 50 do lose slower than the younger ones, but we can & do still lose. It just takes a little more work, a little more dedication and a whole lot more patience! You will do just fine.

I can't really think very clearly right now, so I will come back later, after I have calmed myself.

Pat
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,329 Member
    Options
    Grandmalie- Congratulations! :flowerforyou: What are you going to do for a celebration? I bought a bright red yoga bag and DH bought me my slinky running jacket. It's a huge milestone.:flowerforyou:

Well, yesterday was quite a tale.
    Friday night DH had the worst panic attack ever. He was clinging on to me, shaking and saying he could not stand it any longer and was going to kill himself. I knew I had to get to London for the Grand Opening of my son's brewery, so I made him get up and go downstairs and listen to his relaxation CD. I had to get back to sleep, so I did my own relaxation, yoga breathing etc and managed to drift off eventually.
    I came downstairs at 6.45 to find him curled up and desperate, having not slept for the 6th night in a row. He was meant to be driving to football, but that was beyond him. I made him make breakfast and get on the gym machines, but called his sister at 7.45, who lives 60 miles away and she said she would come down straight away. So I was able to get off to London. Phew!
    I took sushi up for my friend and then we set off on the local train to the brewery. DS#1 was there, his very nice new girlfriend, DDIL's parents, sister, brother and spouses and, of course, DGS. Aaaaaah! EX was there with wife and children. At first I was a bit edgy as DS#1 spent all his time talking to EX who I was avoiding, but I decided to swallow my fears and went over to chat to them, dragging my BFF with me for moral support. It all went fine and I ending up chatting to Ex's wife and enjoying myself. Ex didn't mention my weight loss, but looked at my trainers and asked me if I had been jogging! I wasn't sure how to take that!
    The opening was great with fabulous food, beer of course, and fun music. There were Pearly Queens and Kings from the East End, Morris Dancers from Blackheath, (you may have to google these!) and a Carribean steel band. It was very chilly though. I felt I looked OK in my purple skinny jeans a pink, silky cowl neck top, my celebration necklace and my spotty jacket. Unfortunately I could not take the jacket off as it was so cold.:laugh:
    Got back at 7.30 to find that DSIL , who is a counsellor, had decided DH was not on the right sleeping meds so they had gone to the emergency clinic at the hospital. They got him some zopiclone. Last night he slept like a log.
    So pleased for him. He is much better today and DSIL has just gone home. We all went for a lovely 'jalk' this morning and I got some rowing and strength training in.
    Ate nothing at the opening. Had two small beers. Ate sushi at lunch and on the train going home!!!
    Hope DH is turning the corner. The terrors could be caused by the Seroxat just beginning to kick in. So the hospital said. Horrible while it lasted, like he could not wake up from a nightmare.

Oooooofffff! So we might both get to Rome after all!
    My EX said he would be in touch soon ? I hope that means about the legacy from his mum. I need the money as my tenant has not paid up this month.:explode: Something to do with the bank not putting through the standing order. I have NO money. Grrrr.

Love to all from windy, rainy Hampshire, with a snoring husband!
    Heather UK
    PS Colerado floods have been on our news. Much love to any suffering.:heart:
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Yanniejannie and Lizplus - I totally feel your pain about mice. A few years ago when our neighbors house was being built, I saw a mouse in my kitchen and went screaming out into the yard in my Jammie's. The workers next door came rushing over because they thought something horrible had happened. After I stopped crying and jumping up and down and screaming I managed to relay that I saw a mouse. They all had a good laugh and went back to work. I had to call my husband from the phone in the garage and he came home to "dispose" of it. Whether he truly did find it and get rid of it, I don't know, but he told me he did so I chose to believe him. He is very sweet about stuff like that.

We spent last night at our lake cabin. It was the first visit since we got puppy Bruno, so we weren't sure how he would do, but he did great. There's no fenced yard or doggie door, but he let us know when he needed to go out. He wasn't sure about the stairs up to the bedroom, but Bill carried him up once and after that it was OK. He was a very good boy except for one small transgression where he chewed an extension cord. Luckily it wasn't plugged in. We had words about it and he agreed never to do that again. We stay out here till about noon and then go home. It's only about 30 miles, so we usually come every weekend.

Today is my day off from the gym, unless my grandkids want to go swimming this afternoon. I have no bathroom scale out here, so I'm suffering withdrawal from not being able to weigh myself. I have an appointment with the cardiologist Monday, so I'm hoping to impress her with my weight loss. I'm down about 40 pounds since my last visit. I'm hoping to get off one of my BP meds.

Congrats to Grandmallie! Way to go!

Sylvia
  • KABH74
    KABH74 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Need the inspiration of this group. Finding myself slipping after many months of success. Just reading your posts is like a lifeline. Must remember each journey begins with a single step. Kathy, SE WI
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Nancy in AZ - is that Sandia Peak behind you in your picture?

Jodios – I was expecting you to say the animals had hitched a ride in the back of the hhgregg truck!

Grandmallie – CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Hooray – that is wonderful.

Seinfeldlove – you joined by posting, so welcome. I don’t have an open diary either as I feel I am accountable and responsible on my own…AND the flaming you can get from random people. You won’t find that at this particular thread, though, if you choose to open it.

Jane – congratulations to you, too, on the new baby to enjoy. I have grandchildren vicariously in my dear niece’s children. Happily my sister allows me to share them as I wish.

Joyce – good for you!

Hope you feel better soon, Darla.

Pat (Phoo) – when we lived in Mesa the things that did great were oleanders (but these are poisonous if ingested), bouganvilla (it would die to the ground in the winter, but came back with a vengeance in the spring – I think they have ones now without thorns), and surprisingly, gardenias. They went wild!

Cityjane – I hope your DH finds relief soon.

Despite restaurant Mexican last night I was down another ½ pound. I’m working my way back down from a sodium-induced gain earlier in the week, seemingly ½ pound at a time. (One night this week DH prepared corned beef sandwiches to go with the chicken-vegetable soup I had made. The next day I was up almost 4 pounds, so it was the corned beef lunch meat. I keep working at gently educating him on my sodium issue, but sometimes I just eat whatever the thing is to show how much I do appreciate him.)

Well, off to the rest of the day. Hope everyone has a good one!

Gail, metro ATL
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hello, ladies,

Beautiful day here; could have helped at a triathlon this am but passed in favor of time in my own bed after not being there the night before. Must get on the paperwork for the running glub today!!!

Granmallie..............MAJOR congratulations!!! 50 pounds--WOOOHOOO!!!!!

Janemartin..............double happy dance for both your dd's beautiful dress and your new nephew

jodios..........HA!!! Welcome to the wonderful world of the elusive 32DD! I've had some luck with a brand named Wacola. Wonderful that you got your dogs back; I stressed out something major every time on of mine got out.

Michele.........absolutely no idea how mr. mouse found his way in to the sink.........I'm still going overboard with the Clorox on every surface and washing every dish, glass, and pan before use. I couldn't even yell coherently for dh; it just came out a cross between a scream and a wail...........I was so surprised.

Anamika...........glad you stopped the pizza binge; eating better is a habit and you will get better!!!

Viv............nice to see you back!

Liz...........no kitties here, so it wasn't a "gift"

seinfeldlove.........I reached goal by eating 1200 and paid no attention to exercise cals. 7months---almost 30 lbs. been at goal + or - 2lbs. since mid-July

Heather..........hope they have found the right balance for your dh's meds; sounds like everything went very well at the opening; major congrats to your son and to you for how you handled what had to be a very stressful time for yourself also.

Sylvia........smiling to think of you running around in your jammies.........my dh locked me out of the house wearing jammies in our back yard when he went to work once.......something he has yet to live down........

Pat...............good grief, a bar, really????? I'd be upset too if it was a friend of mine!!!!!!!!!

Welcome newbies..........please give us a clue where you are located.

Take care all,
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Wizzywig aka Viv: Welcome back!:flowerforyou:

Pat: Funeral celebrations are for the living. I doubt the girls meant any disrespect at all. At least she had a celebration in her honor. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I’m so glad that your DH has new meds and is feeling better. You were very brave to go off to the brewery opening with only your friend. I’m happy it went well for you.:drinker: :bigsmile:

Gail: Sodium is such a wily predator. I won’t have any issues for a long while and then, bang, I have swollen hands and sore joints. At least it doesn’t impact my blood pressure, as it does to DH. Drink extra water to wash it out of your system.:drinker:

Yannniejannie: We had mice in our old house that were coming inside through holes cut in cabinetry for plumbing. We couldn’t keep them from getting under the house, but we used hardware “cloth” to cover up the holes in the cabinets and then filled in with spackle. We never had another mouse in the kitchen or bathrooms, plus it cut out some mysterious drafts in those rooms. Good luck.:flowerforyou:

Rain is turning this into a day of rest on the deck project. DH is working on the deck posts to get them up to snuff for re-installation, so it isn’t total rest. I wish it was dry and we could finish and put things back together NOW. I’m really happy we got the primer coat on to protect from the rain. We have several days of rain in the forecast and hope to be able to finish the project on Thursday.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

September goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
    3. Drink at least 4 glasses of water daily.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies,
    just parking myself now...
    I have been running non stop and it feels good.. 3 loads of laundry, made chili, pork chops,cookies for the DH,cleaned the hall closet and one of the bedroom closet's , with all the DH old stuff that he doesnt wear anymore.. swept floors, walked the dogs, bagged stuff up to go to goodwill, and stuff for the consignment shop.. oh and stripped and made both the beds
    3 1/2 weeks till we go to Florida and I am super excited...
    I just got a call from friends of ours, the ones that we cruise with, Lola ,Linda's Scottie Terrier wasn't feeling well took her to the vet and she has kidney failure... how heartbreaking:sad:
    I know I will be somewhere in the 140's before florida,so that makes me Happy
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Nancy – I love that saying “hunger is not an emergency”.

Pat – You are in my thoughts & prayers. I'm so sorry for the loss of your old friend. You have every right to be upset. She sounds like a wonderful person and did deserve much more then what she got. :heart:

Jane – Awesome that you found a dress for DD. I guess the up side to all that shopping is the extra steps. Congrats on the new addition to your family.

Joyce – congratulations on doing the walk and getting the smaller shirt.

Granmallie - doing the happy dance for you...50 lbs woohoo you are certainly one busy lady.

Heather – I hope the new meds continue to work for your DH, sounds like you have both been through a lot.

Went to the Y again this morning. I did 50 min on the bike and a mile walk on the track. Grocery shopping done and some meals have been cooked. I got over 10,000 steps for the first time with my fitbit yahooooo :bigsmile:

I am tired, I wish I could sleep better. I'm recovering from yet another migraine. It will be an early night for me.

I finally had a chance to chat with my DS last night, he has hurt his knee quite badly. He has always been the kid that has done everything hard, plays, works etc 150%. He doesn't really feel pain like most people. At least there was nothing broken this time.

And another week begins...ugh :noway:

Sleep well everyone.

:heart: Sandy from ON
  • SandyC04
    Options
    Hello ladies... Just why is it that that weekends fly by... I am pooped and just the thought of going to work in the morning is depressing me :-) I have a very busy week and not looking forward to it!

Today I have been on the go... food shopping in the AM then preparing some food for the week... decided to take a break, update my dairy and check in... Have to say I am exhausted! Made a big batch of Lemon Garlic Hummus, Its been my go to snack recently, then cooked up some steal cut oatmeal for the week and have a chicken in the slow cooker... I had plans for a Quinoa and Pomegranate Salad with Asparagus and Walnuts but I have run out of steam.. Maybe I will just put up the Quinoa and do the rest tomorrow night... I really need to work on my time management :-) Grandmallie... Boy you were very industrious... I think you just gave me some motivation to finish that last dish!!!!
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi to all my wonderful friends. I am not even going to try to catch up since I don't think I've been here for four days now. So I am just starting fresh,

The funeral was nice although awfully short. I was surprised that it was not better attended. But then she was the last of that generation, so many who would have been there are already gone. Funeral food is always comfort food, but in Oklahoma it is really not healthy! I don't think I saw a "green thing" once LOL. I did do well in avoiding the desserts...heavy on chocolate which I don't like although I did have a tiny piece of the best german chocolate cake I have ever had.

Today was parent daughter day and I had DD#1. We had a very nice time. she took me to lunch then we shopped around for fun then she asked if she could go grocery shopping with me! The first thing she said was "I miss living at home". Really???? Turns out the boyfriend just lost his job but his mom pays his rent so no danger of being evicted. He wants to meet us so if she is not working next sunday I suggested brunch after church. She seems a little sad and I think the reality of having really left home is setting in. I accidentally opened a letter to her from the cosmetology school and she has to make her first month's payment of $1495 next week or lose her spot in school. She has waited too long for financial aid so she is now on the cash plan until she can file for government aid. She only brings home about $450 a month, but told me she could manage saving $1000 a month for school when I predicted she would be paying cash.

You know being stubborn has some good points, but there is also "stupid stubborn". She has had months to go in and discuss financial aid but has refused to do it because I told her she should. Oh well, this one will be a tough lesson.

OK ladies I'm sorry this is short I missed all of you while I was gone but I am too exhausted to write much more. My usual stress response is sleep and I feel like someone pulled a plug out somewhere and I am "leaking" away!!!!! More sleep is in order. Take care, Meg from cool and wonderfully rainy Omaha.