WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Happy weekend. I went to zumba this morning and have a wedding to attend this afternoon. I should clean my house a bit, but I might not get to that.

Renny, I used to donate blood (not for money though), but the last few times I passed out as soon as I was done. They gently suggested that I don't come back...

Also have a question...My son invited us to go to the Marine Corps Ball this November, and we would love to go. But does anyone know what moms wear to that? I know the young wives look like they're going to a prom or something, but I'm a bit old for that. And where do you shop for fancy clothes? Dresses seem to be really hard to find anymore! The ball is in Yuma, AZ so I don't need to think about winter....:wink: I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Eileen in sunny San Diego
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Eileen,

If you have a chance to go to a Marine Corps Ball, don't miss it! I went to one when I was stationed in Athens, Greece and it was great. I can only imagine how nice it would be in San Diego! Keep in mind that this was 35 years ago, but when I went all the women were wearing long dresses. Even the ones in uniform. I don't think I noticed if any were moms or not, but I think you would be safe in a sort of mother-of-the-bride dress. Not too flamboyant, but don't try to be dowdy either.

Be sure to take pictures.

Sylvia
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I missed the part about it being in Yuma. Still, I don't think you should miss it. It will be fantastic.

Sylvia
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,698 Member
    Options
    Thank you Barbie for leading me back to this thread. Now I know how. :smile: I was another person who wondered why nobody had posted all day. So not this group! :laugh:

(Sorry, I'm so bad with names.) The people who wanted to set up goals, did you find it? My Home > Goals (in option bar) > Change Goals (at bottom) > pick "Guided" for MFP to set them; or "Custom" to do it yourself. (I have a laptop if that makes a difference.)

All my prayers with everyone and their family in Boulder, Colorado. Torrential rains and flash floods - OMG! It's so shocking when 100-year floods occur - they're so out of the blue!

Back in California, it's that kind of "sunny overcast" where the sun's rays make the thin clouds look bright - feels cool but pleasant. I wish everyone were so blessed.

Our house is not officially on the market, so it isn't spruced up. But we've been looking, leisurely. We found an interesting house, whose owners are looking in our area. So we may have fallen into a semi-swap situation. We had 3days notice to clean our house for them to see. We're neat-nicks, but still what a lot of work. DH has been cleaning nonstop while I'm at work 12hrs. I pitched in last night and was still going when they got here this morning. What a nice family.

What a workout. I swear a vacuum cleaner, sponge, dust rag and heavy boxes make some of the best workout equipment. DH asked if we should check out other open houses this weekend and was obviously relieved not to. We're both exhausted (but the house looks great).

Paula in SFBay area
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Worked in my flower beds for 4 hours this morning. They were really bad! It was kind of cool (below 90) so we were able to get a lot done. Painters are coming Monday to do the outside eaves and doors and also the master bathroom. Haven't even started working on that!
    Michele - glad you heard from you DS. It's a start so keep the lines of communication open. My squash was perfect. The way I tested to see if it was done was stick a fork in the back of the squash.
    Hope everyone is having a relaxing day. Talk to ya tomorrow.
    Sue in TX
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Sylvia. Now I have to figure out where to look for a dress like that. And I am super glad that I weigh 65 pounds less than I used to...I can look for regular sizes for a change:) Eileen
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hello, all,

Cooler here with no humidity for a change---love it!!! Took my old boss for her cataract surg. yesterday, all went well with it and the immediate post-op period, and I left her house this am in time to make it to yoga. I'm a bit tired, as her spare bed is not my usual. Came home to find a mouse in my sink!!!!! Not quite dead; dh took him outside to let nature take it's course and I washed everything down with Clorox!!!!!.........over and over!!!!!

Vicki and kevrit...........hang in there, as one of you said "baby steps", best of luck!!!

Sandy, Ont.......look at you---looking forward to the gym........fantastic! I can see you making self confidence progress right here in front of our eyes, WTG

Anamika.......I don't ride,my dd loves to, though, we leased a horse for a while..........do you ride often?
    Yes, I discovered meditation tapes when I was having the panic attacks and they helped immeasurably.....wish I had known about yoga and tai chi back then too. When "edgy", I still will use the techniques.

Heather.........I think the opening calls for an absolutely smashing new outfit that shows off your new body!!! Hope your dh finds his balance again.; you seem to be so good for him, just knowing what he needs and patient. It's not easy to find the way back sometimes and the people around you make all the difference.

Granmallie.........pill swallowing is something I struggle with too and have found a big swallow of water just before I place the pill on the back of my tongue helps, then another big gulp is what works for me.........also, there is a throat spray from the drugstore (no script needed ) which will make the pills glide down easier, the name escapes me.

Michele.........I am truly glad for you that Bryan got in touch, hope he continues now that he's done it once

Pat........the sugar thing........very interesting and something I'd never heard but it seems to make all the sense in the world

Renny..........The Red Cross, which does most of the collection of blood in the US, does not pay anyone at the blood drives as far as I know

Bye for now.......Take care,
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    Nice dinner tonight at 99 restaurant- junior size top sirloin,sauteed mushrooms, small baked potato and carrots, with a touch of steak sauce-under 600 calories:bigsmile:
    treated myself to graham crackers and tea..
    I wore my skinny jeans and a sweatshirt, when I went into the restroom at the restaurant,I didn't recognize myself:wink:
    its workin ladies, its workin
  • teenysmom9
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I know this is a stupid ?, but I am very new on this site. And, am not exactly sure about how to post. What is "bump"? I've seen this on some of the posts on this thread. Speaking of thread, I'd like to be a part of this one with you all. I will be 51 next month. I need to loose more then a hundred pounds. :sad:

I hope everyone has a wonderful evening.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    Tenny'smom-you just joined,BUMP means that you are saving your space to find where you left off on the thread. Dont you worry you will love this group of ladies.. and it doesnt matter how much you have to lose , you will find help and support here..
    I promise you that:wink:
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon, Ladies- Well, I have been butchered. I hope y'all like the picture beside my post because I surely will not be taking any others any time soon. I am thinking I will have to start wearing turbans, hats, babouskas, whatever.... I could have done this butcher job on myself, but, no, I paid someone good money to cut my hair. Someone trained, right. Oh, well, eventually it will grow out again. I am just not a happy camper right now.

Took a class at the store today on making jewelry using ice-resin products. It was fun, but it is too putsy for me, and you have to be very careful or the resin will bubble and not set correctly. I made two fobs that will be used for key chains, one pendant using a small enameled Celtic cross as the center, and we even learned to make resin sealed paper. I resined a sheet of music from an old church hymnal. I think that will make the base for a rolled sympathy card. It was a good class.

Food is going ok today, but I am feeling very antsy for some reason. Having said that, I also really don't have a whole lot of energy. Everytime I sit down, I want to fall asleep. I think it is time to go and get my iron levels checked again.

I, too, hope all of our friends in Colorado are safe. I just can't believe the videos from up in the Boulder area. Devastating.

For tonight, I am going out to the craft room for a while. Take care, all, have a great Saturday night!

Pat
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Good eve.Spent 2 days and 10,000 +steps to find a homecoming dress for daughter.Finally found one,beautiful purple and looks good on her(she`s heavy and finding a dress her size,plus she`s short was a task).
    Also came home to find out I`m an aunt again,Baby Joseph was born weighing 7 lbs 14oz.Baby and mom doing good.:drinker: :drinker:
    Have a good night all.
    HUGS:heart::heart:
    jane
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Jane I found out when my overweight daughter was shopping for a prom dress that there were some decent ones in the bridal shops.

Well I finally am done being exhausted after this 'walk' today. One of my daughters good friends went with her also. She has a very large dog and my daughter brought 2 of hers, one is a pretty good size and the other is a little smaller but not small to be considered medium. So that's a lot of muscle. Anyway this girl also has a son. So there were some things for the kids and dogs to do before the walk. I don't have a problems with my actual hips, it's some muscle problems right below the hips and boy can they hurt. If I can maintain a continous moderate pace I am OK. I am not OK with just walking around or stopping and admiring the hundreds of other dogs that were there. Many of them have play dates at the dog park every week with Michelle. So for an hour we are just slowly walking around and doing nothing. I knew my 'hips' would be in trouble. Plus with the neuropathy I have in my feet my body was not happy. But I was determinded I was going to do it. It was only one mile, for goodness sake Joyce, you can do it. Michelle said there would be plenty of places to sit and rest if I needed it. Yeah, the curb. The position your hips are in sitting on the curb is not comfortable. Plus the dogs are stopping every other feet to mark a place, sniff or just whatever. If I ever, ever do a walk again, it will be for walking, just a continious pace. but it was held at the Humane society and when we got done, the boy wanted to play some more and I wanted to see animals my size, KITTENS. So I went in the nice cool building, sat in a chair and collapsed and then played with kittens. my cat had plenty of smells on us to check out when we got home since my husband does appreciate dogs and likes to pet them. I lied the dog we used to have, and only that dog. One good thing is that they were out of 1X shirts. My choices were 2X or large. I didn't want to settle for a 2X. I knew it would end up a sleep shirt and didn't want to pay $35 for a sleep shirt. So I bought a large. They were unisex so it wasn't a misses large. I tried it on when I got home and it does fit. That's a relative term. Some women would wear it as it fits me now but with these belly rolls I'm just not comfortable. So it will hang in my closet along with my size 14 jeans. So that was my day. How was yours???

Joyce, Indiana
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    All you Georgia gals- Gibbs Gardens was fabulous today. We couldn't have chosen a more beautiful day to be there! There are over 17,000 steps/7+ miles on my fit bit after my walk there and after I got home. :laugh:

Gibbs Gardens has a valley garden and a 'manor house' garden. Both my friend and I ended up purchasing an annual pass for repeat visits.

The valley garden is very level, with wonderful soft walking paths and includes a number of areas: water lily garden, Japanese gardens with ponds and bridges, roses, wildflowers, a fern dell, rhododendrons, azaleas, allees of crape myrtles, The Pleasance (just a series of quiet, ferny, tranquil areas) and so much more. There are ponds with fish, waterfalls, and babbling water throughout. It seemed everywhere you looked there was some special touch. And if you looked again you saw something you missed the first time!

The manor house is the full-time residence of the owners of these 300 acres and the tram literally drops you at their house. That would weird me out a bit, but they are so gracious to share their beautiful creation. There is a wide veranda at the house where you can sit and overlook 7 terraces flowing down the hillside. The walk down the terraces back to the rest of the garden is a series of trails through the woods that bring you back to the Japanese gardens. You can also take their tram. There is a little shop where you can buy a sandwich, drink, etc., and tables and chairs underneath a high canopy of trees where you can sit and eat. What a wonderful time we had! (And if you decide you want to go...let me know. I have a season pass, you know. I could meet you there!) :love: :love:

When I got home I went for my usual walk (at a faster pace than the garden walking). Then DH and I went to our favorite Mexican place for dinner - complete with mariachi music on Saturdays. We've gone there for quite a long time and there is a young fellow who plays the horn with the mariachis whom I believe is 12-14 years old. He has become a phenomenol musician and we complimented him on his skills. These particular mariachis play what you would expect, but also things like Orange Blossom Special, Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson, Elvis songs, etc. Very versatile. Well, after complimenting the young man on his skills, we said we wanted to hear something featuring him. I could not have been more surprised when they played .......The Flight of the Bumblebee! :noway: :laugh:

Such a great day - even the thought of having to work tomorrow afternoon doesn't bother me!

Enough gushing.... hope all of you had great days as well.

Gail, metro ATL

....And there are beautiful pots of flowers everywhere, baskets of flowers hanging on the rails of foot bridges, decking, etc. OK, I'll stop now, really!

... Oh, wait... I forgot to tell you there is sculpture throughout, too.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: We were at a meeting that lasted all day. I didn’t log food and exercise but at the event I stayed away from the nut bread and cream cheese, the white bread, cheese, mayo, salad dressing and red velvet cake. I walked the dogs in the morning, as usual, and again when we got home and a few minutes ago as well as walking a bit at the breaks during the meeting.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

25,000 steps today :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • seasonsofjoy
    seasonsofjoy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just Googled Gibbs gardens! Wowsie! I need to add that to my bucket list, it looks incredible! I really love to garden, and experiment in the garden, but since we moved to the Phoenix area 10 years ago (and since I am 10 years older, lol), I find it much more challenging, but still try. I do get compliments on our yards, which I designed. I did better in Albuquerque, where I had real seasons. I would love to somewhere live where there is dark soil, and things LIKE to grow!

To everyone, I am so inspired by your weight losses! You sharing! It is lovely, I say again!
    I am praying for the Colorado families, so sad! We actually were there for our family vacation this year, stayed in Estes Park, and in Denver, spent time in Boulder, etc., it's all so gorgeous!

I spent the good part of the day with fellow cookie artists in Arizona, some of us have businesses (I only sell my non-edible cookie ornaments), some do it for fun, but I stayed on my program! Decorated cookies, ate a small portion of the hostess' lunch, did not try her decadent looking brownies, nor the huge chocolate chip cookies, and drank TONS of water all day! It was so fun to meet new friends and share our tips and stories! And, to stay on my plan. I give MFP and my friends on this site much kudos and credit in this, as the support is key! Thank you!!!!!!

I am jealous of you gals where it feels a bit chilly, a bit like fall! So hot here still!

Nancy in Arizona
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    finally got around to bra shopping today. I went with my sister and her mother in law. All of us have lost weight and clearly needed new undergarments. My sister is on MFP and has lost over 35lbs - she is looking fantastic!!! :flowerforyou: So off the 3 of us go to get measured and try (and try) on bras. My DS strikes gold on the very first one she tries on (perfect fit and comfy)....I was not so lucky. Turns out I am now a 32 DD - a very difficult size indeed. There were a total of 5 bras in that size in the entire store (which took some time to track down) and one fit very funny...they were all different styles so I had to try each one on- not so fun but in the end success - the girls are not sitting up high and proud :laugh: :laugh:

Yesterday I earned a few more gray hairs (a highlight and cut are still on the to do list). We had a couple of guys working on our deck. We didn't realize it, but one of them left the gate unlocked. I was in my home office trying to finish up work and I get a call from hhgregg that my 2 dogs are in their store and would I please come and get them. To get to the shopping mall they had to cross a very busy street at rush hour and a parking lot!:noway: So I grabbed my DH and the dog's leads to drive across to the mall. I went tearing in the store and no one was there! The manager spotted me (not hard to notice a crazy lady running around your store carrying dog leads) and called me to the back of the store. There were both my fur babies getting petted, cuddled and kissed by employees and store customers. I was so relieved to see them safe. I think everyone else was dissappointed I was taking them away. Apparently they just followed a customer into the store. the manager said they were the first canine customers they've had. :happy:

Well off to bed - I have to get up early and figure out what I'm teaching to tomorrow morning's yoga class. Have a great rest of the weekend, Jodios in lovely cool N. Il :smile: :love: :flowerforyou: :smooched: :heart: :bigsmile:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,382 Member
    Options
    Pat - I gave almost all of the left-over desserts from the social to this one lady who was going to take them to the soup kitchen near her. She was saying how a lot of the people there are ex-alcoholics and they really like their sweets as a substitute for the alcohol.

Sandy - good for you getting to the Y and even better that you looked forward to it. See how wonderful habits can be sometimes?

Janet - yea on the inches lost!!! That's the way to go

Renny - I would love to donate blood, but in a way I'm afraid that I would be rejected. Do they ask you things like "what medications are you on". I have this fear that the reclast will be in my blood stream and that they won't want me because of it.

grandmalle - "a tad nippy"???? I'm thinking that I need to wear a sweater while I'm at the farmer's market.

patceoh - going out to eat can be such a hassle. We've going out to this bbq place in a few weeks. Not that I'm really looking forward to it. From their menu online, it doesn't look like they have any veges, at least not on the buffet. The best I'll be able to do are baked beans. Looks like I'll need to have something before we go. But that's in a few weeks. You did as best you could, congrats on staying within calories. Oh, alcoholism is closely related to a sugar addiction.

Sandy - cheat days/nights are fine, just don't go hog wild. And have fun!

Sylvia - the first time I had a flu shot, I had such a reaction! I was at this one gal's house playing mahjongg, she lives quite a distance away. I to this day don't know how I got back. I never again went to her house by myself. Now the next time I got it, I didn't have any reaction at all. I have my routine physical in Oct. and I think that's when I got my shot last year. Hope your hubby feels better soon

Darla - welcome back!!!

I don't know if I'll have time or not, but if I do, I'll do some pilates tomorrow since we won't be working outside (the landscape border won't be here until Tuesday). But I need to go to church tomorrow morning and then Jessica and Kris are planning on leaving around noon, so don't know if I'll be able to get in any exercise.

Mary - welcome! Tell uss about your photo.

Eileen - I don't know what mom's wear to Marine Corps Balls, but if you're looking for a fancy dress, try bridal shops. Department stores do have an area where they sell dresses, probably not as fancy as you may need but if you don't need something real fancy, you can try there.

Paula - the people next dorr to us did a swap thing too. They wanted to be in SC, there was a couple in SC who used to live in this neighborhood and were looking to get back, so they swapped. But they did have to have the houses appraised first and the couple in SC evidentally wound up paying our neighbors extra. Good luck to you

yanniejannie - any idea how the mouse got in your sink?

teensymom - come on in!!!!

Pat - as you say "it's only hair, it'll grow out"

Jane - congrats on the birth!

Gail - Gibbs House sounds so neat! Glad you had a great time.

It was pretty chilly this morning, so I put on my sweater while I was at the farmer's market. The guy with the real sweet corn won't have any more this year, but this other guy had FANTASTIC cantaloupe, so I got 6. They are small but that's OK, they are still sweet. Then went to yoga, came home and cut up three of the cantaloupes and made some low fat raisin oatmeal cookies, we'll have them for dessert along with the key lime pie I made and the cantaloupe. Jessica had to get her car worked on and Vince got his oil changed. I went out by the pool for just an hour, it's my "relaxation" time, listening to the waterfall. We grilled outside today, I had corn on the cob, tried these sweet potato fries that are baked but I think the recipe still needs to be tweaked. Well, Kris was up for trying it so we went for it. I had just the lobster but I know Jessica likes London Broil. Vince and Kris had that. Poor Kris, seems every time he comes down here I try something new. Last time it was the beer can chicken, that turned out real good, I was surprised. This time the sweet potato fries, gotta work on that. Took a shower and now ready for bed. church tomorrow and we'll just play it by ear. I do want to lay by the pool again. The weather was so so nice, not humid, in the high 70's. I did go in the pool, but spent most of the time next to it.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele in NC
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Nancy in Arizona – I grew up and have lived in and around the same areas as you. Lest you have the wrong impression…most of us in GA garden in red clay! (Not the loose, dark soil I had in my garden when I lived in the NYC metro.)

Gail, metro ATL
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Mary from S Illinois: Welcome to the group. You join by posting. Come back often so we can get to know you.:flowerforyou:

Eileen in San Diego: I bought a fancy dress to go to my son’s wedding from Nordstroms on line. I was very pleased with it. I’d get a floor length dress for the ball. I agree with Sylvia about a mother of the groom dress. :flowerforyou:

Pat: At least your hair will grow out again, and you won’t go back to that stylist unless insanity strikes, which is doubtful. You are articulate and sensible from my POV.:bigsmile:

Jodios: The bra shopping outing sounds like fun. It sounds like your dogs also had a fine time at the mall. Do you suppose they’re planning to make a regular habit of it?:wink::laugh:

I am so proud of us! We got the upper deck prepared and primed. Neither of us thought we could do the job, but when no one was available to hire we decided we had to try. We had to sand off the old stuff, which was dirty and sticky and horrible. We prepared the deck and filled some rough places to make it smooth. We applied the primer coat today. It is now waterproof and will take care of itself until we can put on the finish coats. This involved hard work, and taking the deck railings off so we could work all the way to the edges. Taking the railings off was a scary task in my opinion. There may be rain tomorrow but I hope for another dry day because I want to finish this and put my house back together.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

September goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
    3. Drink at least 4 glasses of water daily.