50 year old lady needs to lose 50lbs!!

Options
kickbox3
kickbox3 Posts: 1 Member
edited February 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
I’ve tried on my own. I just can’t find the motivation or discipline. I’m not willing to do anything crazy for a diet, like keto, but I’m in search of a community of women that have found it harder to lose weight as the age.
Ugh!! Frustrating!!!

Replies

• NC_Gardener
    NC_Gardener Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It's definitely harder! That hit me like a ton of bricks when 30lbs flew on and wouldn't budge off. It's crazy.

I finally figured out the combo of things that works for me. It's not really that much different, but man do I have to do it!

Sometimes you just have to do it. If you're like me, you've noticed getting out of shape, etc, too. Middle Age can be rough, no doubt. But I know from my yoga teachers and such that it just takes consistency to get over the new obstacles. Good luck!!
  • hoodlisa1979
    hoodlisa1979 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    kickbox3 wrote: »
    I’ve tried on my own. I just can’t find the motivation or discipline. I’m not willing to do anything crazy for a diet, like keto, but I’m in search of a community of women that have found it harder to lose weight as the age.
    Ugh!! Frustrating!!!

Its got to come from you, no one here can give you the motivation if you don't have it no matter how many you find in a similar situation, I'm sure they can certainly empathise but that won't help you shift the weight, I don't say that to be mean because I've been in your shoes, this time something has clicked in me, I'm 43 but in my 30s I could drop weight easily, now it just sticks to me like a limpet, health reasons such as high blood pressure and cholesterol haven't massively inspired me to do much previously but when my dose of bp meds needed to be increased I realised if I want to make it to retirement I have to work at it, i recommend walking, do 20 minute increments, take a look at what your eating and calorie intake, weigh food as a portion is usually half what you eyeball is correct, a diet doesn't have to be miserable you can eat what you like by reducing portion sizes to maintain a deficit, pinterest has 1000s of recipes that can inspire you, Instagram has supportive groups of menopausal women who are in the same boat & give help and advice, they share their successes and failures(I don't have fb but they probably do too) ultimately you may have just wanted to have a rant as its pants I know but I do hope you can find a happy medium that helps you to lose what you need to, don't think 50lb think 2lb its a much easier target, good luck
  • carrieneary71
    carrieneary71 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am with you! I am 51 and have noticed how hard it is to lose weight. I was underweight until I had my kids so unfortunately I got used to eating what I wanted without it impacting my weight too much. Not anymore! I am going to make an effort to do better with my eating.

There is so much information out there and it's hard to know what to believe - if you exercise too much you won't lose weight, if you do the wrong type of exercise you won't lose weight, if you don't eat enough you won't lose weight. If your hormones are out of whack, you won't lose weight. It boggles my mind and I tend to get caught up in all the misinformation and then do nothing.

I am going to try to be accountable by checking in everyday and prepping some of my foods. I already go to the gym 3-4 days a week so will continue that.

I am open to any advice and look forward to making some improvements!
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,339 Member
    Options
    I am with you! I am 51 and have noticed how hard it is to lose weight. I was underweight until I had my kids so unfortunately I got used to eating what I wanted without it impacting my weight too much. Not anymore! I am going to make an effort to do better with my eating.

There is so much information out there and it's hard to know what to believe - if you exercise too much you won't lose weight, if you do the wrong type of exercise you won't lose weight, if you don't eat enough you won't lose weight. If your hormones are out of whack, you won't lose weight. It boggles my mind and I tend to get caught up in all the misinformation and then do nothing.

I am going to try to be accountable by checking in everyday and prepping some of my foods. I already go to the gym 3-4 days a week so will continue that.

I am open to any advice and look forward to making some improvements!

So let’s break this down a bit: exercise is awesome for your health (especially as we get older), and we should all be doing it. But losing weight comes from eating fewer calories than you expend. Now, you can create a calorie deficit by exercising but -personally speaking - exercise makes me blooming hungry. So it’s easy to eat more which then cancels out the calorie deficit. Different types of exercise will NOT stop you losing weight as long as you are still in a calorie deficit - that’s *kitten* from influencers with bubble butts trying to sell you their programme.

Find some activity or exercise that you enjoy (I love lifting, but others like hiking, rowing, cycling or dancing). Do that activity and have fun.

Put your stats into MFP and choose a slowish rate of loss. Eat what you enjoy within your calorie limit and you WILL lose weight. It genuinely is that simple but that doesn’t sell books, weight loss programmes or bubble butts.

Just to clarify - I’m not saying sticking to a calorie deficit is easy or simple for everyone - but the concept is. For reference, I’m 48 and defo in perimenopause.

• LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of women here over 50 who have lost and kept off 50 plus pounds. :)

So, if we can do it, you can do it.

My suggestions are:
    1. Log your food. Most important thing I did was create and stick to that habit.
    2. Step on the body weight scale and record it somewhere.
    3. Take a 30 minute walk five days a week. (Minimum exercise)

Then I'd say join in some of the Challenges threads here on this site and check in every day.

I agree that motivation has to come from within. If you don't really want to be smaller and healthier and happier, I'm not sure we can give that to you.

Plug in here. Connect with others. Read the threads, post, log food. The rest of it (and there's a lot of changes coming if you stick to it) will happen a little at a time.

This is exactly how this 52, now 53 year old, female did it. Tracked my calories religiously, weighed daily, had few splurges, and walked a little very day. Biggest thing was to find my "why" and then just do it.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    It isn't harder at 50, you just haven't developed habits that will help you. Losing weight comes down to eating slightly below what your maintenance calories are. If you set up MFP correctly, and put a reasonable weight loss like 1 lb per week, then MFP gives you the calories you need to eat up to to lose weight. Track your calories by using a food scale so you know exactly how much you are eating, and put it in MFP so you can see where you are each day. It is just learning a new habit or two.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Good luck .. and get 'crack a lackin' .. Cause you don't want it to turn into a 60 year old needing to lose 60 pounds, or worse! a 70 year old needing to lose any weight at all! .. Hope that's some motivation building thought for you!
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    About to turn 47 in a few weeks and I'm 45lbs lighter than I was and am at my goal weight now.

It wasn't really that difficult once I made the decision to do it. But I did have to make that decision and COMMIT to it. Only you can decide how important is it to you and what you're willing to do to achieve your goal. You can read through thousands of MFP success stories for inspo, but the decision to do the work has to come from you.

Once you're ready, just know you've got a great support network here to help you. Good luck!
  • Rockymountainflyer
    Rockymountainflyer Posts: 26 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I'm 55 and have lost 30 pounds over the last 14 months now. Track EVERYTHING -oil, spices, every bite. I also walk 2-4 miles a day. I walk around the house, do laps at Walmart and put on a backpack and walk to the supermarket. Find things that make you feel full. It is a marathon and lifestyle change. Focus on living life, not eating. Eat to live, don't live to eat. Don't drink your calories, they are precious! If you get a craving, have it, but log it. Sometimes I have ice cream or chips, but keep the calories the same for the day at 1200-1300. I am hungry when I do that, but it is sometimes worth it. Buy clothes when you lose 10 pounds, not celebratory dinner. Do NOT keep things you can't resist in the house. For me, even Jiff peanut butter is irresistible. I buy Skippy for my husband because I don't like it.
  • NC_Gardener
    NC_Gardener Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I really do have zero shame about saying menopause is harder. Because it's harder for me, lol! I have to be more on top of things than I used to. And it's slower. And I'm actually pretty hungry a lot of the time, for real (I know that goes away).

But the only thing I can't deal with is "impossible". "Harder" happens all the time in life. Running into impossible things is the only thing that gets me down 🙂