WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2023

Replies

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,296 Member
    Katla ~ Glad to see you here again. You have been missed!

Carol in GA
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,326 Member
    Happy Mother's Day to those celebrating today.

Katla-so good to hear from you-we have all been worried.

Resistance Bands-I like them because they are portable and versatile. I also think (and could be wrong) that there is less chance of me hurting myself because they are using my own body weight. I really like kettle bells but my issues last year didn't make any weight a good idea. Mary is inspiring me to try again.

Ginny in Ohio
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,803 Member
    Katla!WELCOME BACK! We missed you.

Thanks for the links to medicine Machka helped me find what I was looking for.

I forgot who recommended I get a therapeutic massage. My pharmacist can’t recommend that but my doctor and therapist would. I think a good chiropractor would help too. I do LOVE massages however, just haven’t had one in ages. Cost of them prevents me. My daughters got me one for my 60th birthday 7 years ago. I think that was the last time I had one.

I love raspberries and blackberries. We used to go pick them every summer either wild ones or farmed ones. The raspberries never seemed to have thorns but the blackberries…… Once my DH and another couple went raspberry picking. We had so much fun! The ‘boys’ had a raspberry fight over the bushes. I think we ate and wore more berries than we bought. LOL

RVRita
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,505 Member
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,931 Member
    edited March 2023
    Machka9 wrote: »
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

Debbie

Unfortunately, without contracts etc., we can't count on other people. Everyone has their own lives and their own priorities.

I really don't like doing things where I have to depend on other people.

I hated group work in university and all the other courses I've taken. Love taking courses. Love learning things, but the moment I discovered that the instructor included group work, my heart would sink.

She may need to downsize to something she can handle on her own.

I just wonder what her answer would be to the question: If you could live wherever and do whatever you want, what would that be?

M in Oz

The answer to your question. She is where she wants to be. She has told us all she never wants to leave.

Totally agree on the contract. When money is involved, it gets done sooner.
    I have told her she might have better luck getting help with the bigger jobs that the neighbor has offered to do if she offers to pay him a certain amount to have it done when she wants it done, not when he has time(he has offered to do it for free for her)

I will talk to her tonight, see when she wants me to come up to help with planting the green house. Leave it totally up to her, as long as I am free that weekend. Kind of see how she is feeling about planting this year. All will be up to her.

As for the blackberries we have. They are the thornless ones. I have picked from the wild ones as a kid. These are so much easier to pick and when they get enough water, they get really big(plants and berries) With all the rain we have been getting this winter, they should have a good start, hopefully.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,904 Member
    :) Regarding resistance bands----the best exercise is the one that you'll do. Resistance bands are less expensive. easier to store, and lighter weight than hand weights so that might make them more attractive to someone starting out. Also the feel safer to do something overhead. But since I already have hand weights, wrist weights, and ankle weights, they don't seem as attractive to me.

:)Katla, good to hear from you and know that you and your hubby are doing well.

:)Rosemary, you sound like you are developing some plans for this new chapter in your life. My dog walking friend cared for her husband for several years of Alzheimer's and after his death she spent a while getting settle then joined a line dance club, a service club, and a garden club. She has waves of sadness and tears and just keeps on keeping on.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Did Denise Austin Yoga dVD. Won’t do anything formal tomorrow since I’ll be driving all day and hope to leave early (boo for leaving...but I know I’ll be back!)

Tracey – lovely shirt and bag. You are so talented

Finished most of the cleaning. Just need to clean my shower tonight after I take a shower. Did 2 loads of laundry. See, I leave the clothes down here that I wore the day before we left and just wash them when we get back down here. I’m leaving more and more clothes here. This time I’m leaving most of my exercise clothes since I don’t use them very much now that I’m at BK. And I’m leaving socks since I bought new ones to have in NC

Ginny – I was allowed to wear pants to school….but only IF it was cold out and IF we wore them under our uniforms and IF we took them off when we got to school. But we were still allowed to wear them….lol

KJ – hope you get a lot of volunteers

Lanette – I use the bands frequently and really like them. You can get a really good workout using them. They ARE good for a change from the dumbbells. I never use an anchor so I had to go back and watch the video closer. You know, every time they used the anchor, what I do is put the band under my foot (at the arch) instead of the anchor. Like when they attached the band to the wall and pulled it back for the back, I always sat on the floor with my legs in front of me, wrapped the band around the arch of the foot (or around my feet) and pulled back. So sorry about your friend. He sounds like he was a hoot

Katla – So very glad to see you. I was getting worried

Rita – It’s been a while since I’ve had a massage, too. Probably about a few years ago. Honestly, I just can’t justify the cost unless it’s absolutely necessary

I love picking any kind of berries. I remember picking blueberries when I was young and then my aunt making blueberry jam.

Got most of the things down into the car. We didn’t buy as much bisque this time as before, mainly because we couldn’t go a lot of places

No idea when we’ll be packing up the laptops so better post this now.

Michele feeling sad
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Afternoon ladies
    Slept until 9:45 am then had points amd went to Costco and picked up some stuff for here.. having a blast.. my ankles much better..
    I have 2 of the cousins writing down there home schooling ideas for Tracy as they homeschool there kids.
    I have to contact the rental car company as they are trying to overcharge me.
  • pipcd34
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,558 Member
    Thank you for checking in, Katla. We all worry about you.

Allie, I'm so happy that you are having a good time with your family. I know how reinvigorating it is for you.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,319 Member
    Annie - hooray for finishing the taxes, what a relief to have that done I'll bet. :)

Michele - thanks for the resistance band info. As I was watching the video, I noticed Mike also held them under his feet too. I have a heavy oak table - I could loop it around the leg - I don't think it would move. :o Have a safe drive home. Time sure goes fast, doesn't it?

Katla - great to see you pop on here! We missed you a lot! <3

Joy - that was some cruise! Your granddaughter will always remember it. Bet those apple pies will be great.

Carla - so sad to hear of your friend's passing, I bet it's super hard on Freddy to lose a good FUN friend like that. We need all we can get of those these days. Seems like every time I turn around a friend or acquaintance has passed away or has been diagnosed with cancer or a potential life threatening illness. :'(

Ginny - glad to hear you use the bands and like them too. I feel like a hick - I'd heard of them for years but never knew much about them until I watched that video. :p

Heather - what a nice lunch with your family for Mother's Day! Thank you, as always, for sharing photos of them. Those kids sure are growing so fast.

I was busy all day, or at least until now. Got a nice walk in, did laundry, weekly email to siblings.

Raked and bagged more leaves (our oak doesn't start shedding leaves until late winter.) and dismantled some old rotten whisky barrels that had been my tomato planters for years. I'm getting good with my battery operated drill/screwdriver! I know DH would have been proud of me, and surprised I'm picking up on these tasks that used to be his domain. ;)

Got a nice walk in with my neighbor yesterday. She told me her Cologuard test came back positive. She'll have a follow-up colonoscopy once her insurance company goes through its gyrations and approves it. We're hoping it's a false positive. She has had IBS/gluten sensitivity for years, maybe something with that triggered the positive on this test.

OK ladies, have a fabulous week! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    (((Carla)))
  • pipcd34
    Stats for the day-

Housecleaning etc- 3hrs 1min 5sec, vacuum, dust, laundry fold and put away, change bedsheets, make new. Hummingbird food, etc= 856c
    Zwift home spin bike- strava stats- 45.47sec, 289elev, 133aw, 19.8amph, 36gear, 104ahr, 122mhr, 15.09mi= 279c
    Strava app= 350c
    Zwift stats- 45.50min, 289elev, 133aw, 53arpm, 19.77amph, 15.1mi= 350c

Total cal 1135
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,326 Member
    Kim-Such a job! When I had my hip replacements I had one of the adjustable toilet seats/risers

https://a.co/d/2cFqKVo I found it very helpful-I never needed it as bedside, but the frame is adjustable and fits over toilet. You can adjust height so she isn't just dropping on the seat. The simple up and down movements we take for granted are completely different when hips are on the mend. You could set to up so she could go in with walker and turn to the higher seat. The arms are helpful and toilet keeps it from moving. Oh-and if she is using a walker, get a tray to go over it like this https://a.co/d/6uc21Ks. Makes a great dinner try and I was able to put my meals on it and walk to lift chair. (I got all sorts of stuff since I was handling it on my own).

Allie-sorry you have had another friend pass.

More productive day today than yesterday. Went to grocery, got some stuff done for work, ironing and took a walk. Did lots of resting in between.

Surprised I have made it until almost 9-time to call it a day.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio