WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2023

Replies

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,028 Member
    Lisa Yay for a day without pain! There is hope!

Annie in Delaware
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,506 Member
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Katla, so good to hear from you. You were missed!

Lisa, a day without pain.... wonderful.

Heather, great pictures of the family.

(((Allie and Carla)))

Happy Mother's Day to all celebrating,

Betsy in NW WA
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,811 Member
    <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    edited March 2023
    Lannette and Ginny I love the resistance bands. I have been working with them with my PT to rehabilitate my shoulder injury. They built strength and now I use them only for warmups and stretching. They made it possible for me to be able to swing my kettlebell again and do the counter push up.

The souping of my bone broth with all fat is really quite amazing. I have been doing it for about 4 days and I can see a difference in the texture and former dryness of my skin. I also think it makes me less hungry. The added protein and collagen is making my skin very happy 😊 let’s hope for continued improvement.

💕Mary from Arizona/Minnesota

• evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    Kim, for the toilet could you use something that actually fits on the toilet? My parents had them on theirs, unfortunately I can't remember what they are called, something like toilet assist bars. And I can't remember exactly how they worked, but they made the toilet kind of like a chair with "armrests" that one could use to push oneself up into a standing position. They would also assist in the sitting down process. Totally ridiculous that the nurse couldn't tell you the time and date for the x-ray..... smh Just saw Ginny's post and the set up that my parents had was very similar and worked very well for them.
    Allie, so sorry to hear of your friend Lil passing away.
    Carla, so sorry to hear of your hubby's friend passing away.
    Annie, congrats on getting your dad's taxes done! I'm sure that's a huge relief!
    Lisa, YAY for the pain free day!! Wishing you many more of them!
    Heather, looks like a lovely meal out with the family!

Went to the gym this morning, but my knee started giving me grief after just 10 min on the elliptical (I usually do 30 - 35 min), so I decided to go give the TRX a try, no problem there and when I finished that (45 min) I decided to just do my stretching and head home. Knee hasn't so much as twitched since..... oh well, there's always tomorrow! lol
    It was such a lovely day yesterday, I got out into my garden and planted some primula and pansies that I bought a few weeks ago. They were starting to look a little sad (were very root bound, poor things) but the weather had not been cooperative. This morning I looked out at them and one was out of the ground, like I had forgotten to plant it. I'm pretty sure I did plant it as I sprinkled egg shells around them to keep the slugs away and put tomato cages around them to keep the deer away. The cage was there, the egg shells were there, but the plant was out of the hole and laying on the ground just outside the cage. Will be interesting to see what happens tonight.... Squirrels might be looking for a quick meal, they have eaten many of my bulbs and tubers over the years, grrr.
    Well, look at that, it's getting late, again. I must go to bed, I have been staying up way too late, then sleeping in and I just accomplish more if I get up earlier.
    Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    tnyp4qfe48h9.png
  • Machka9
    I try to do something every day to honor my husband. He loved music so I have been listening to a Great Courses course about musical composers each day. Last night I listened to a lecture on physics because he had a degree in physics.

I cook dinner and eat at 6pm every night to have some ritual to my day. And my husband and I did this for years!

Best,
    Rosemarie from GA

Very nice :heart:

• Machka9
    Wmy legs and ankles are swollen up

You were on a flight, right? Did you wear compression stockings?

M in Oz

• Machka9
    kevrit wrote: »
    I am doing this Happiness calendar for March. Feel free to copy or simply use it if you’d like!

March, 2023 Action for happiness.org
    RVRita
    1. Set an intention to live with awareness and kindness. I intend to live with more awareness and kindness every day.
    2. Notice three things you find beautiful in the outside world.

Sky, sand and ocean
    15jmjq5nsagk.png

3. Start today by appreciating your body and that you are alive.

Yesterday's 54 km bicycle ride and 5 km walk on the beach ...

4. Notice how you speak to yourself and choose to use kind words.

19nper8umeoo.png

5. Bring to mind people you care about and send love to them.

:heart:

6. Have a ‘no plans’ day and notice how that feels.

The only plans we had yesterday was a stroll through a neighbouring arty town to look at the shops.

7. Take three calm breaths at regular intervals during your day.

I do box breathing at some point just about every day.

8. Eat mindfully. Appreciate the taste, texture and smell of your food.
    :)

9. Take a full breath in and out before you reply to others.
    Many times.

10. Get outside and notice how the weather feels on your face.

Afternoon walk ...

gk9c2ciwlcx2.png

11. Stay fully present while drinking your cup of tea or coffee.

Not so much today. But usually. :)

12. Listen deeply to someone and really hear what they are saying.

Haven't talked to anyone other than husband today.

13. Pause to watch the sky or clouds for a few minutes today.

Love watching the sky. :) Our house is especially well located for that, and at certain times of year, we get fantastic sunsets!

jomkq0tqutyd.png
    05wmx6w4ig4u.png
    7vc4lxr8ihsj.png

14. Find ways to enjoy any chores or tasks that you do.

Laundry! I don't mind doing laundry. :)

15. Stop. Breathe. Notice. Repeat regularly.

That's about all I can do today. I haven't done anything which requires effort.

I looked up the vaccine I had yesterday. Boostrix: diphtheria-tetanus-acellular pertussis (whooping cough). I am set for 10 years!

But headache, tiredness, body aches, sore joints and nausea are common side effects ... which I am experiencing.

My doctor also informed me that the antibiotic "cocktail" I've been prescribed will make me feel ill and give me a horrible taste in my mouth. But it is only for 5 days and should do the trick.

16. Get really absorbed with an interesting or creative activity.

I've been colouring these days because I'm not allowed to do much more. Fortunately, I enjoy colouring. :)

I've also been putting away laundry and rearranging a closet.

17. Look around and spot three thing you find unusual or pleasant.

The place is slightly neater and cleaner than usual. That's both unusual and pleasant. February was major house-cleaning month, then we went on holidays so the place is still clean.

I'm at home, surrounded by things I like.

There are photos I have taken recently showing on my second computer screen.

18. Have a 'no plans' day and notice how that feels or If you find yourself rushing, make an effort to slow down.

Today, I casually worked my way through part of the garden, catching up on some of the weeding.
    And we went for a short 10 km bicycle ride.
    And I've been colouring. :)

19. Cultivate a feeling of loving-kindness towards others today.
    :heart:

20. Focus on what makes you and others happy today.

Walking - 3.57 km

Cycling - 10.27 km

z6nik83nkcds.png

21. Listen to a piece of music without doing anything else.
    22. Notice something that is going well, even if today feels difficult.
    23. Tune into your feelings, without judging or trying to change them.
    24. Appreciate your hands and all the things they enable you to do.
    25. Focus your attention on the good things you take for granted.
    26. Choose too spend less times looking at screens today.
    27. Appreciate nature around you wherever you are.
    28. Notice when you are tired and take a break as soon as possible.
    29. Choose a different route today and see what you notice.
    30. Mentally scan your body and notice what you are feeling.
    31. Discover the joy in the simple things of life.

Machka in Oz

bptvso6ng5vj.png
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,326 Member
    Kim-I forgot she was more of the toe tap restriction and on the petite side. The frame device would work (if it comes with pot it is removable). I am sure you will find a way to make the walker work as an assist-maybe ask nurse for tips before leaving?

Lisa-so glad to hear you had a full day of no pain! That is terrific. If someone hasn't had chronic pain they don't know what it can be like.

Joyful-congrats on weight loss!

Annie-good job on getting taxes done. I may tackle mine this weekend. I have a feeling with DH social security added in to my salary I am going to owe!

Evie-maybe do stretching routine before elliptical (or at least part of it). I miss TRX I used when my gym was open. Didn't do lots with it but great way to get back stretch.

Machka-you find some of the greatest motivational posters. Thanks for sharing them. Today's really struck me,

Off to another Monday-sleep was somewhat better last night. Work up for trip down the hall a few times (antibiotics are kicking in though). I was able to drift back off each time and alarm woke me up.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Weights, resistance bands, etc. - I have a decent set of weights and weight bench, several resistance bands, and a Pilates trainer.

I like them all. :)

Childhood clothing - I grew up in a fairly strict, religious family.

I was allowed to wear pretty much whatever I wanted. In fact, thinking back on what I wore on occasion, I'm not sure I'd allow my daughter (if I had one) out in those clothes! I have a few "what was I thinking??" moments.

But I was a teenager in the mid-80s. :smiley:

Big crimped hair with bows and scarves and things in it. Lots of makeup. Bright colours. Plastic bangles. Huge earrings. Acid wash jeans. Bright tights. Neon.

And no, I don't have any photos to post of me in that time period. :tongue:

By the mid-90s, I had switched to all black. So much so that people would quietly suggest I try wearing a bit more colour now and then.

Machka in Oz
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,355 Member
    <3
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,297 Member
    :)