WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2023

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,732 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Did Total Body Bean Blaster DVD then went for a walk. I thought I would be able to use the ball but I found that I had to modify too much since the bean is more stable than the ball, so it’ll go to the Salvation Army. No bowling tomorrow since they’re having the senior games at the bowling alley. But we do have ceramics at night.

Speaking of bosses: this one gal at BK was the manager of the day this past week. All she could focus on was “my labor is down” crap. To me, this is crap. There are things that should be done at certain times. Like I like to do the prep early in the morning and be out of everyone’s way when they get busy for lunch. Of course, this makes her “labor” higher. She kept telling me to do this, do that. Really, just leave me alone and let me do my job. I know what needs to be done and I’m not going to knowingly do too much. She kept cutting corners which, to me, reflects poorly on me. But what can I do? Fortunately, she isn’t the main manager that frequently (I think the last time was about a year ago). So I just let her go on. We usually divide the pickles so that I can pick them up on Sat since Jerry isn’t there for me to have him do it. Well, she said that he’d be there yesterday so when I got there another manager was on duty and I asked her “where’s Jerry”. She said he doesn’t work on Sat. I told her that that’s what I figured, but A told me that he’d be there. Truthfully, A was trying to get me out of there asap so her “labor” was down. She was “helping” me with the onions. I had to go back over and redo things. She said “oh, you’re doing it right”. Well, of course. She told me “they can do it over there” (where they make the sandwiches). To me, they shouldn’t have to do my job. They should get the customer’s order done as soon as possible. The customer is the person who is paying our salaries. She said to the other manager “my labor is down wonder why”. So the other manager said “well, you have B working” Dhhhhh…. You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to know that the more people you have working, the more salaries you are paying. Really, she didn’t need to have Jerry working so early. I’ve seen a lot of other managers/workers doing two jobs (the eggs and sandwiches) early when they aren’t real busy. But she has Jerry doing the eggs and she was doing the sandwiches. And after Jerry finished the eggs, he’s walking around looking for things to do.

I did text the store manager and told her how the manager on duty helped me out and that I really think A was just not aware of the changes. Reality is, I think A just wanted to get her labor down

Another manager who used to micro-manager me all the time. I just let her all the time saying to myself “she’s a moron manager”. Well, she transferred to another BK and in about a month she got fired. No surprise to me.

Tracey – smart bother you have there. Lovely shirt. Did you paint that or is it maybe an iron on transfer? I remember one time my father really needed a coat. I knew that he’d have had a fit if he ever found out what I paid (I wanted to get him a good coat). So I told him that it was on sale for ½ price. Sometimes the things you have to do….lol

Got another invoice from the landscaper, still not reflecting the money we already paid him. I asked Vince to call him Monday since Vince is much more forceful than I am. As a last ditch resort, I’m prepared to make a complaint to the BBB. Hope it doesn’t come to that.

Barbara – corporate sometimes doesn’t think. Like Vince was telling me that his company at one time said that the employees weren’t to get their coffee after they’d punched in. They had to get it before. Only thing is...the coffee was in the building and the only way to get into the building was to swipe your ID card which automatically punched you in. What an ingenious move on their part <sarcastic> They FINALLY realized the stupidity of this and put a kureg machine in the lobby.

Yesterday got everything except the cantilever umbrella outside and the items that need to be hung (speakers and clock). Then cut the grass. I was tired so didn’t go for a walk, but I did get my steps in.

Lanette – I love my freezer. So much gets frozen. Right now I’m trying to make room for all the vegetables and fruits that will be coming into season.

Friday night we went to Lowe's Hardware since Vince needed a small bucket to mix the mortar in to use on the spillover. We got the cheapest since it got thrown out anyway. He started the spillover since he wanted it to set for at least 24 hours and they’re calling for rain tonight. Then again, we all know how accurate the weather man is….lol

Carol – we’re staying with the gas powered car, too. For one thing, right now going to FL is a 10 hour drive with one stop for gas. If we had to make a few stops to recharge, it would probably take us 2 days to get there. You know, I honestly don’t think gas powered cars will ever totally go away. You might not have as many to choose from, and the price of gas will be higher. Oh, I remember that in California (I think it was) they had an electric shortage so people were told not to charge their cars. Wonder where all the electricity will come from?

Annie (and Kim, too) – you amaze me you are such great daughters

Looks like we need a new salt water generator. So until it comes, I’m having to buy more bleach. It’s supposed to be here Tuesday.

Tina – when will you be goind on this trip and for how long? Great thing you’re doing, volunteering and taking your friend’s son

Went to WalMart. Really, the time to go is on Sunday in the morning. Then bought gas. That’s the time to buy it, too

Allie – how precious Miles is. How can you resist squeezing him to death? When our kids were smaller, we had the Little Tykes sandbox. What Vince did was drilled holes in either side and then at night we’d put bolts in it to keep the top from blowing off. Something you might want to think of doing, especially in wintertime.

Debbie – free is always good

kylia – so glad to hear that you’re better!!!!

pip – have fun camping. Wish you lived closer. We have so much camping things that I’d like to get rid of since we don’t use it anymore. A 3-person tent, porta potty, things like that.

Barbie – can’t wait to hear which car you finally decide on!

Sirenofthesea – how I miss my water aerobics! See, the class is in the morning and I’m usually working. Plus, I no longer belong to that gym. But fortunately for me, pretty soon our pool will be open. But I do enjoy a class

Debbie – prayers for everyone. What a horrible story (his sending a kiss)

Heather – I’m impressed with all the crafts you do with the grands. Edie has such a great imagination!

Michele NC

Where do u live?
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,098 Member
    Options
    Yes Rebecca it is the one by Annie Duke. It took some time to get it. I got it from the e-library and have three weeks to read it.

Second chapter was about those who seemed like they quit too soon. They seemed to be doing very well at the time. The examples he gave were those who could see that the course they were on was not going to work for the long haul. By quitting it gave them the chance to put their energy to something that was a better fit. Money was not always the driving force.

The third chapter dealt more with investing. One problem in investing is what you invest in you track very closely while you own the stock once you sell it you no longer track it's success or failure thus losing the feedback it it was a good or bad decision to sell when you did.

My cousin who retired from the military said the military mantra was once a decision is made you own it with no regrets. I prefer when I make a decision... What did I learn from it be it positive or negative so then hopefully I have a more successful outcome WIN WIN or have fewer mistakes going forward.

Looking for patterns and gathering constructive feedback is an underlying theme of the book too.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies!

I ate a lot today and did no exercise. Back on the wagon tomorrow!!

Annie
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    B)

Katla in Illinois
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,894 Member
    Options
    <3
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    BP 152/82 this morning highest since May 26 last year. Taken after writing up fire district budget committee minutes. Hmm. ‘nother good reason not to run for re-election :wink:
    Debbie :cry: This must be so hard on your DH, prayers for him too. :cry:
    Karen “The Source” is one of my favorites, long past time for a re-read. Thanks!
    Hugs to all of you my very dears.
    Time to snooze.
    04/16: Move: 2 sets PT Jeopardy and Houses with History walking. steps:8403
    Fuel: plants running count for week so far: CI = 1784 :sick:
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, budget committee minutes, church and council meeting. Wt: 133.6

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer. April: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    I have been a MESS! Am doing better today. Details in spoiler for anyone wanting to know. Just know that I am still here and am doing okay today.
    I have had a migraine since the 4th. Nothing was even putting a dent in it. I couldn't concentrate, couldn't motivate, and apparently have been really grumpy and *kitten* for about 3 weeks or so according to DH, employees, and customers (who noticed I wasn't feeling well). This past Wednesday it all came to a head. I LOST IT! I went to bed crying at 630. All the while praying that I didn't wake up in the morning. I said it was bad. Knowing I am loved and needed kept me from doing anything drastic, but the thought had crossed my mind. I felt I could do nothing right and was tired of hurting. DH tried to talk with me. I couldn't do it! I gave up and went to bed. Still wasn't great on Thursday morning, but calmer. DH wanted me to call the doctor thinking the medicine is the culprit. I told him I hadn't taken anything other than Estradiol since Wednesday morning. I was feeling better by Thursday PM though still not great. Head was still pounding. I finally don't have a headache today and feel more like me. Now that I know that it is a reaction to the medicine(s), I messaged both my heart doctors. Probably won't hear anything back until Monday or Tuesday, but I am not taking that med anymore. I have had this issue for 10 years without meds, I am not going to feel miserable so that they feel better.

So for now, I am better. Oldest daughter and her family are on their way here for a short visit. Weather is 99% chance of rain tomorrow with falling temperatures, so didn't go to farm.

Kylia in Ohio
    Machka9 wrote: »
    kevrit wrote: »
    Another question… Anyone know of a website or App where you can put in all your meds and supplements to look for common side effects and/or problems with the combination? I used to have an insurance company that did that for you but can’t seem to find where to do that anymore.

RVRita

This is one I use quite frequently. I think I've got its app on my phone too.
    https://www.drugs.com/
    https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

This is another one I double-check with.
    https://www.rxlist.com/
    https://www.rxlist.com/drug-interaction-checker.htm

I see that some others have interaction checkers

I've been impressed with Medscape's medical information:
    https://reference.medscape.com/drug-interactionchecker

I see that WebMD has an interaction checker too.
    https://www.webmd.com/interaction-checker/default.htm

You can also just Google 'drug interactions' or Google two medications and you'll get those two sites above and several others.

Machka in Oz

I am glad that you're back to normal again.

If you're given another medication, and you start feeling "off" in any way, check it.

I've had some odd reactions to things in recent years and those sites have been helpful.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    As for forest management, it's not the issue. They are doing a fine job with that here. Usually, it's a human that starts a fire, on purpose or from negligence. We have this cycle where we are dry as can be and fires start (because it's dry) and then it rains (YAY!), but causes the brush to grow and hence, creates more "fuel" for fires. That will be later this year. So, we can't win.

We had one fire in our canyon (in the middle of the city) because someone was living there and tossed a cigarette butt or something like that.

Tina in CA

Same thing here in Australia.

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,631 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    146u0t98dlae.png

Questions
    1. Where are you on the chart above?
    I feel like I've been in the Learning Zone since the mid-1990s ... 25-30 years.

2. Where would you like to be on the chart above?
    Now ... I'd like to figure out what my comfort zone is and spend a bit of time there. Soon, I might want to move on to the Growth Zone. We'll see.

3. What is your comfort zone? How would you define a comfort zone?
    Genuine question because I don't know anymore.

Machka in Oz

How to Leave Your Comfort Zone and Enter Your ‘Growth Zone’
    https://positivepsychology.com/comfort-zone/

"It takes courage to step from the comfort zone into the fear zone. Without a clear roadmap, there’s no way to build on previous experiences. This can be anxiety provoking. Yet persevere long enough, and you enter the learning zone, where you gain new skills and deal with challenges resourcefully.

After a learning period, a new comfort zone is created, expanding one’s ability to reach even greater heights. This is what it means to be in the growth zone."

"In reality, the process of moving from the comfort zone to a growth zone may not be linear. Peaks, troughs, and plateaus often complicate the journey. Sometimes, we even need to retreat to the comfort zone periodically before mustering the strength to leave again. Nevertheless, appreciating the steps can help in tolerating uncertainty."

Comfort Zone
    "The phrase ‘comfort zone’ was coined by management thinker Judith Bardwick in her 1991 work Danger in the Comfort Zone:

“The comfort zone is a behavioral state within which a person operates in an anxiety-neutral condition, using a limited set of behaviors to deliver a steady level of performance, usually without a sense of risk.”

Within the comfort zone, there isn’t much incentive for people to reach new heights of performance. It’s here that people go about routines devoid of risk, causing their progress to plateau."

"It is the space in which we feel safe and in control. Here, things come easy to us. We know what to do and what to expect."

In other words ... I don't have much of a comfort zone.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    215oc9vewrqw.png

my question about this is if your comfort zone is no longer can you go to any other zone?

My comfort zone vanished a long time ago. I live in the learning zone.
  • Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Speaking of bosses: this one gal at BK was the manager of the day this past week. All she could focus on was “my labor is down” crap. To me, this is crap. There are things that should be done at certain times. Like I like to do the prep early in the morning and be out of everyone’s way when they get busy for lunch. Of course, this makes her “labor” higher. She kept telling me to do this, do that. Really, just leave me alone and let me do my job. I know what needs to be done and I’m not going to knowingly do too much. She kept cutting corners which, to me, reflects poorly on me. But what can I do? Fortunately, she isn’t the main manager that frequently (I think the last time was about a year ago). So I just let her go on. We usually divide the pickles so that I can pick them up on Sat since Jerry isn’t there for me to have him do it. Well, she said that he’d be there yesterday so when I got there another manager was on duty and I asked her “where’s Jerry”. She said he doesn’t work on Sat. I told her that that’s what I figured, but A told me that he’d be there. Truthfully, A was trying to get me out of there asap so her “labor” was down. She was “helping” me with the onions. I had to go back over and redo things. She said “oh, you’re doing it right”. Well, of course. She told me “they can do it over there” (where they make the sandwiches). To me, they shouldn’t have to do my job. They should get the customer’s order done as soon as possible. The customer is the person who is paying our salaries. She said to the other manager “my labor is down wonder why”. So the other manager said “well, you have B working” Dhhhhh…. You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to know that the more people you have working, the more salaries you are paying. Really, she didn’t need to have Jerry working so early. I’ve seen a lot of other managers/workers doing two jobs (the eggs and sandwiches) early when they aren’t real busy. But she has Jerry doing the eggs and she was doing the sandwiches. And after Jerry finished the eggs, he’s walking around looking for things to do.

I did text the store manager and told her how the manager on duty helped me out and that I really think A was just not aware of the changes. Reality is, I think A just wanted to get her labor down

Another manager who used to micro-manager me all the time. I just let her all the time saying to myself “she’s a moron manager”. Well, she transferred to another BK and in about a month she got fired. No surprise to me.

Fortunately, you're in the type of job where you can go to work, do your job, and go home ... and you don't have to worry about what the managers think. :)

I liked jobs like that when I was in university. The second my foot was out the door at the end of my shift, I didn't have to think about the job and could focus on other things.

Barbara – corporate sometimes doesn’t think. Like Vince was telling me that his company at one time said that the employees weren’t to get their coffee after they’d punched in. They had to get it before. Only thing is...the coffee was in the building and the only way to get into the building was to swipe your ID card which automatically punched you in. What an ingenious move on their part <sarcastic> They FINALLY realized the stupidity of this and put a kureg machine in the lobby.

I think I've said this before ... I'm glad I don't work for a company like that.

Where I am, we're allowed to get coffee whenever we want!

Wonder where all the electricity will come from?

The sun, the wind, the water.

• Machka9
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Two hours and three cans full of weeds.
    Got a good start but had to take a break- massive headache and back hurting.
    That Bermuda grass is terrible!

Will work on more tomorrow.

Debbie

I can't identify grasses, but we've got one that grows in large tufts here, there and everywhere ... and grows quite tall.