WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2023

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    Options
    Karen - I have resigned myself to the fact that I need to move on. I stuck out another position for much longer than I should have previously in my life and I don’t want to do that again.
    It’s hard for me, I quit school and although I did get my GED and went on to take a course that gave me accounting and some business I still feel I’m not employable. I suffer terribly through interviews. I know that I have proven myself and have experience but I still have that little voice in my head saying, “you won’t get this”.
    I was also taught to stay at jobs because they were hard to come by. I need to get out of my comfort zone and go for it.

Tracey in Edmonton

I don't know what Canada is like, but places here are desperate for people. Business have reduced their hours because they can't get enough employees. Shops have signs up begging customers to have patience because they're so short-staffed.

If Canada is like that, get your application out there everywhere!

As for the interview, make use of whatever interview practice resources you can find, such as ...
    https://www.ualberta.ca/career-centre/resources/interviews.html

All the best!

Machka in Oz

• teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    <3
    Betsy in NW WA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,821 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Im here with Miles,who is napping..Tracy off to work ,doing a Walmart pick up afterwards.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,732 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

I just figured out my BMI. I have officially moved from obese down to overweight. Yay! That should mean my heart etc. Is a little bit less challenged.

My laptop came back to life last night. I thought I was going to need a replacement but I guess not. Yay! That will help my budget.

On the other hand, Teddy has another lump. I should take him to the vet, which will put a dent in my budget. There's always something.

We are still waiting for my Dad's Covid test results. But I'm getting more optimistic. He is feeling much better and went for his walk this morning.

Tracey, I also do poorly at interviews. I get too tense. I'm retired for now but I dread having to go back to work someday.

Have a great day, my friends!

Annie in Delaware

Good for you! Keep going!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Pip – I live in NC. On the other side of the States from you, unfortunately

Vince mailed our taxes (ouch!) and then picked up some prescriptions for me. I’ll probably take a walk to the dollar store since we need some cards. Made a chocolate pudding pie for Vince

Debbie – Prayers for everyone affected by Nick

M – you have no idea how many times I’ve just said to myself “well, not my business”. I really do like only working 3, 4, 5 tops hours/day. I’ve told them that I don’t want anything more. I’m just glad that Vince’s company saw the stupidity of the coffee incident and rectified it. See, the company was really, really good when the brothers were in charge. They were VERY family oriented. But once the children took over they were looking a lot at the bottom line. The brothers didn’t look at the bottom line. As a matter of fact, for the longest time Dove was a loss. But the brothers believed in it. Being a privately held company, they didn’t have to report to a board. Now look where Dove is….
    Shortening hours because you’re short staffed is the same over here. I think part of the problem is that people get so much in unemployment benefits, that they are making more money not working than if they were working. Sad, huh?

Carol – prayers for your brother

Landscaper: I asked Vince to call since he’s more forceful than I am. He called, it went to voicemail. He said that we are still getting invoices for the full amount, when is the work going to be completed? Well, it worked (I hope). His wife called back saying that he is going to be here later with the plants and tomorrow early he and the skid steer are going to be here. To me, I don’t see how he’s going to do all the skid steer work and the plants in one day, but maybe he’s anticipating having a large crew so getting the plants in shouldn’t be a big deal. I don’t know. I’m going to have to depend on Vince a lot since I have a dentist appt. tomorrow and I’m not sure how long that’ll take. She did say that the invoice on her end reflected the amount we'd already paid so I asked her to email me a copy just in case the (I think it's automated) invoice that I receive still reflects the full amount.

Annie – YEEEEAAAA!

Going to the dollar store right now. Hopefully, I’ll be back before the landscaper comes here. I’m suspecting that he’s bringing the plants here because he doesn’t have anywhere to store them. Why he didn't do the work (soil) before the plants came in is beyond me.

Michele NC
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,035 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Two hours and three cans full of weeds.
    Got a good start but had to take a break- massive headache and back hurting.
    That Bermuda grass is terrible!

Will work on more tomorrow.

Debbie

I can't identify grasses, but we've got one that grows in large tufts here, there and everywhere ... and grows quite tall.

this grass grows long, with new roots starting about every foot or so as it grows along the ground, the vine part is VERY strong, like twine. With all the rain we got and I haven't been up in the garden since fall, it has really taken over, more than in previous years. It is also a bad tripping hazard .
    We are supposed to get rain again tomorrow so maybe that will soften the ground so I can pull it a little easier

Looking up in the identifier - not sure what it actually is called- just what I thought it was. All I know is it is terrible. The leaves grow long and the vines are about 1/4" thick and at least six feet long in some areas.
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »

Vince mailed our taxes (ouch!) and then picked up some prescriptions for me. I’ll probably take a walk to the dollar store since we need some cards. Made a chocolate pudding pie for Vince

M – you have no idea how many times I’ve just said to myself “well, not my business”. I really do like only working 3, 4, 5 tops hours/day. I’ve told them that I don’t want anything more. I’m just glad that Vince’s company saw the stupidity of the coffee incident and rectified it. See, the company was really, really good when the brothers were in charge. They were VERY family oriented. But once the children took over they were looking a lot at the bottom line. The brothers didn’t look at the bottom line. As a matter of fact, for the longest time Dove was a loss. But the brothers believed in it. Being a privately held company, they didn’t have to report to a board. Now look where Dove is….
    Shortening hours because you’re short staffed is the same over here. I think part of the problem is that people get so much in unemployment benefits, that they are making more money not working than if they were working. Sad, huh?

Landscaper: I asked Vince to call since he’s more forceful than I am. He called, it went to voicemail. He said that we are still getting invoices for the full amount, when is the work going to be completed? Well, it worked (I hope). His wife called back saying that he is going to be here later with the plants and tomorrow early he and the skid steer are going to be here. To me, I don’t see how he’s going to do all the skid steer work and the plants in one day, but maybe he’s anticipating having a large crew so getting the plants in shouldn’t be a big deal. I don’t know. I’m going to have to depend on Vince a lot since I have a dentist appt. tomorrow and I’m not sure how long that’ll take. She did say that the invoice on her end reflected the amount we'd already paid so I asked her to email me a copy just in case the (I think it's automated) invoice that I receive still reflects the full amount.

Annie – YEEEEAAAA!

Going to the dollar store right now. Hopefully, I’ll be back before the landscaper comes here. I’m suspecting that he’s bringing the plants here because he doesn’t have anywhere to store them. Why he didn't do the work (soil) before the plants came in is beyond me.

Michele NC

In defense of the unemployed.

COVID benefits are over. My husband has been on unemployment for the past two months. Over six months, the limit he could be on it, he would collect just 10% of his yearly income. Distributed over six months. It was a pittance. So I don't think people are not working because they are sitting at home collecting a living wage from unemployment. During COVID, perhaps, but not anymore. It's not sustainable.

I hope your husband's friend is found safe. But it kind of sounds like he doesn't want to be found at all. That will make it all the more difficult for the family to grieve.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,035 Member
    Options
    1948CWB wrote: »
    My brother is getting his first radiation treatment for lung cancer today! A prayer for him would be greatly appreciated. His COPD is so bad that we all worry about his life expectancy.

Carol in GA

Prayers said!
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,972 Member
    Options
    April 2023 Action for Happiness

Word of the year: Appreciate : today I appreciate a light breeze when it is hot out.
    Exercise goals added
    Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week 7/15(100%,100%,80%)
    Walk 7,000 every day 14/30 (84%,86%,94%)
    6 min HIIT -2x a day start April 1 23/60
    Arm weights twice a week 3/10 (100%, 60%hurt my elbow, hurt my shoulder 30%)
    Meditation: daily. 16/30 (82%(started Feb)94%)
    PT— head. 4/17. Started 4/13/23
    Hands 3/17

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(100%,100%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 9867, 9491, (7,700,100%-9851,100%—9526,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 5/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 28/158/ —(100%,100%,100%)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)35/64–(100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4 (100%,100%,100%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 15/20-(100%,88%,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 15/12 (100%,100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR——4/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25(100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings (100%)
    Decided that if I do more than stated I will not grade higher than 100% 2/5/23

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met
    May met
    June met
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

ACTIVE APRIL
    Commit to being more active this month starting today. I commit to this by adding the exercises from the 6 minute book for over 60’s.
    2. Spend as much time as possible outdoors today. Easy! LOL
    3. Listen to your body and be grateful for what it can do. I do this during walking meditations every day.
    4. Eat healthy and natural food today and drinks lots of water. Yogurt and raspberries for breakfast with 17 oz water bottle and coffee, more to come.
    5. Turn a regular activity into a playful game today. Not sure. Joked with hairdresser while getting hair cut. Everyone was laughing and joining in.
    6. Do a body-scan meditation and really notice how your body feels. I do this often in my meditations.
    7. Get natural light early in the day. Dim the lights in the evening. Morning done. Will do in evening.
    8. give your body a boost by laughing or making someone laugh. I will as soon as I can! Did this with friends.
    9. Turn your housework or chores into a fun form of exercise. Hmmmm tbd
    10. Have a day with less screen time and more movement. I’ll try.
    11. Set yourself an exercise goal or sign up to an activity challenge. Already have goals: Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week, Walk 7,000 every day, 6 min HIIT -2x a day, Arm weights twice a week
    12. Move as much as possible, even if you’re stuck inside. I will do. Vet this morning then normal day, so will be able to do this.
    13. Make sleep a priority and go to bed in good time. Easy Peasy!
    14. Relax your body & mind with yoga, tai chi or meditation. I will meditate and try to find time for yoga too. I did all I wanted to do.
    15. Get active by singing today (even if you think you can’t sing). I can’t sing but will sing along with music anyway. Sang “When the ants go marching in” during my walk.
    16. Go exploring around your local area and notice new things. OOOH, this sounds like fun.
    17. Be active outside. Dig up weeds or plant some seeds. I will tend my container garden. I have watered it but need to remove dead leaves from tomato plants.
    18. Try a new online exercise, activity or dance class.
    19. Spend less time sitting today. Get up and move more often.
    20. Focus on eating ‘a rainbow of multi-colored vegetables today.
    21. Regularly pause to stretch and breathe during the day.
    22. Enjoy moving to your favorite music. Really go for it.
    23. Go out and do an errand for a loved one or neighbor.
    24. Get active in nature. Feed the birds or go wild-life spotting.
    25. Have a ‘no screens’ night and take time to recharge yourself.
    26. Take an extra break in your day and walk outside for 15 minutes
    27. Find a fun exercise to do while waiting for the kettle to boil (or pan of water.)
    28. Meet a friend outside for a walk and a chat.
    29. Become an activist for a cause you really believe in
    30. Make time to run, swim, dance, cycle or stretch today

RVRita
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Oh, I remember that in California (I think it was) they had an electric shortage so people were told not to charge their cars. Wonder where all the electricity will come from?

Tina – when will you be goind on this trip and for how long? Great thing you’re doing, volunteering and taking your friend’s son

Michele NC

Michele-Living in CA and having a chargeable car, I never got any sort of request to not charge my car. My car pulls less energy than our deep freezer chest.

My Honduras trip is in July and only for a week, unless I extend it.

Machka-I love your dry stream. I wish I had the ambition to do something like that.

Tina in CA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,370 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Tracey - You can do this ! You are a wonderful woman. We believe in you. <3 I spent far too long in the fear zone, it was almost my comfort zone.

Felt c..p all day. Woke up sooooo stiff and my ankle was hurting. Took a cup of tea to DH and he said he woke up dizzy. Went for my 5k run. Just about managed it. Reluctantly started my writing, but got 500+ words done. I amaze myself! :p Felt dizzy, stiff as a board, and weird at lunchtime, so I think we have the same mild virus. Low energy.
    The cleaner came and I retreated upstairs and slept. After 25 mins rowing. Made a very nice chickpea curry with the left over chicken from Easter. Cabbage and mixed salad veg. Delicious meal from leftovers. :p
    Hoping for feeling better tomorrow.

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,370 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Sending love and good vibes to Lisa. Hope your consultation gave you some hope. Much love. <3
    "You are always on my mind. "
    Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    Good morning, afternoon and evening, my dears,

Had to go in for fasting labs this morning, nine tubes of blood and I was unable to do the urine test on demand. Was told I could go in anytime this week or next and do it then. Hard to schedule it, because it's a half-hour drive to the lab. I'll get it figured out.

So, after all that was done, I just came straight back home. Corey cooked me breakfast, bless him. He's on his last day of a 4-day weekend, which is why I got a full breakfast. If it was just me, I'd have probably made do with cheese and crackers. :smiley:

Tracey, dear heart, Without exaggeration, I've done quite a few more than 100 interviews in my life. If they didn't think you could do the job, they wouldn't waste their time interviewing you. So all you're selling, really, is how you get along with people. When you're uptight, that makes it hard to show yourself at your best, so the more relaxed you are, the better you'll do. Not easy, I know.

Carol, All good thoughts for your brother.

Machka, love the dry stream, it looks absolutely beautiful. I looked at your zones again, and I don't fit anywhere right now. That's OK, I don't have to. :smiley:

Annie, So pleased your BMI numbers are making you happy. Well done on all the hard work.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    Re: electric cars

My husband and I both have plug in hybrids. His is a Volvo of some sort, and I have a Rav 4. Mine is a couple years newer than his, and I have an electric range of about 40 miles. (his range is about 25 miles) My 40 miles is more than enough to get to work and back with an errand or two during the commute. We each have a 220 charging outlet available, so I plug in when I get home, and am fully charged well before morning. I run gas on the interstate for long trips. I have charging cables in the trunk that will work with 220 or 110. 110 is slow charging, but if I plug in at work, which I have had to do a couple times because I forgot to plug in overnight, I can get enough battery life to get home, about 15 miles.

Our electric bill has not increased enough for me to notice. I think it costs pennies a day to charge both vehicles. My 16 year old will be driving soon, and my husband wants to get him an ev fiat. 100% electric with a range of about 55 miles. We might not need another charging plug because it doesn't take all night to charge, and the plugs are interchangeable with the cars we have. Not so with Tesla.

I'm a huge fan, and I love my car. I know we are saving a lot in gas.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Re: electric cars

My husband and I both have plug in hybrids. His is a Volvo of some sort, and I have a Rav 4. Mine is a couple years newer than his, and I have an electric range of about 40 miles. (his range is about 25 miles) My 40 miles is more than enough to get to work and back with an errand or two during the commute. We each have a 220 charging outlet available, so I plug in when I get home, and am fully charged well before morning. I run gas on the interstate for long trips. I have charging cables in the trunk that will work with 220 or 110. 110 is slow charging, but if I plug in at work, which I have had to do a couple times because I forgot to plug in overnight, I can get enough battery life to get home, about 15 miles.

Our electric bill has not increased enough for me to notice. I think it costs pennies a day to charge both vehicles. My 16 year old will be driving soon, and my husband wants to get him an ev fiat. 100% electric with a range of about 55 miles. We might not need another charging plug because it doesn't take all night to charge, and the plugs are interchangeable with the cars we have. Not so with Tesla.

I'm a huge fan, and I love my car. I know we are saving a lot in gas.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR

Agreed! I love my car too and the fact that I only put gas in it every 4-5 months IF I take a road trip somewhere. Most of my mileage is around town and I have plenty of e-range for that. I hate having to put gas in the car, just because it's smelly and dirty alone.

The last time I put gas in it was January 28 and I still have 100 gasoline miles to play with before I need gas again.

Tesla is a different story. However, it's possible to get adapters and use the Tesla charging stations, which are super fast. I haven't had the need, so haven't thoroughly investigated it.

Tina in CA

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,732 Member
    Options

Annie – YEEEEAAAA!

Michele NC

Boo. We did rent a home in Hilton head. That was a great time, we were there with another couple and their 2 kids