WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2023

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,351 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Karen I tried that. Thanks, but it didn't work. The smoke alarm is wired together with the others. Hmmm.

Annie in Delaware

Annie - OK. Maybe changing the batteries in ALL of the detectors (whether they are beeping or not) wired into the circuit might do the trick. If that doesn't help, then I'm afraid the whole wiring might need to be replaced or upgraded. I'd call an electrician and just ask, they might have a simple solution too without coming out.

If I remember right, I removed the chirper that wouldn't die and put it out into the garage so I wouldn't have to hear it. And the other three soon joined it.

In the meantime I got a little smoke detector from Home Depot and put it at the end of the hall close to where the others were wired in (bedrooms) Better than nothing. Good luck!

Lanette B)

PS - also, you might call the business office of your local Fire Department. They probably know about all kinds of smoke detectors. ;)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    Yay! Success! Thank you for helping me through this little challenge. It was really driving me crazy, and poor Teddy was frantic!

Annie in Delaware

Sounds like you got it! Good job!

Lanette
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,159 Member
    Options
    Betsy: Safe travels and look forward to seeing you back here in September.

We had torrential rain on and off most of the day. Family Skype after lunch. There were thunderstorms on their way up the coast, so first we had them then DED who lives on the coast about 40 miles north of us. There was a short window of hot sunny weather about 90 minutes between lunch time and our Skype session, so I did get outside for a while.

🤗 🤗 🤗 and 🙏 🙏 🙏 to one and all.

☘️ Terri
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,051 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies!

Today I ate way too many calories. It was a rest day but I've been reading about active recovery and decided I could do twenty minutes on the bike. I was still way over calories. Oh well, tomorrow we start over.

Tomorrow is the neckbone and navy bean soup. I will be cooking for hours but hope I won't eat. We are expecting thunderstorms.

Annie in Delaware
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    <3
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,230 Member
    Options
    We are moored in Honningsvåg. The most northerly 'city' in Europe. Soon we are off to the North Cape, the most northerly point of land. The weather is cloudy, but visibility OK. Some people are flying in a helicopter, but we are going in a coach.
    I slept for ages last night. :D
    This afternoon we hope to take the short walk into town and wander around. If we can find a supermarket, we might buy some cured meat and fish to bring home. Plus liquorice.
    Love to all, Heather, in the North xxxxxxxx

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies!

Today I ate way too many calories. It was a rest day but I've been reading about active recovery and decided I could do twenty minutes on the bike. I was still way over calories. Oh well, tomorrow we start over.

Tomorrow is the neckbone and navy bean soup. I will be cooking for hours but hope I won't eat. We are expecting thunderstorms.

Annie in Delaware

For the most part, I use active recovery. I rarely have a day with no exercise but my exercise quantity and intensity will vary.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited June 2023
    Options
    For those of us with kidney issues ...

Nutrition and early-stage kidney disease
    https://www.health.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0021/146442/renal-ckd.pdf

Enjoying a healthy diet is important for everybody. It is especially important for people with kidney disease. Your diet can help slow down the decline of your kidney disease. The types of food you eat play an important role in:
    • Achieving a healthy weight
    • Controlling blood pressure
    • Managing blood glucose levels if you have diabetes
    • Managing cholesterol levels
    All these factors can lead to better kidney and overall health.

In my case, I'm working on losing weight, controlling my blood pressure, and managing cholesterol levels.

These are some general tips:
    • Eat regular meals e.g. breakfast, lunch and dinner
    • Eat a variety of foods from all the food groups - especially plant-based foods and wholegrains
    • Aim for a colourful mix of fruit (2 servings a day) and vegetables (5 servings a day)
    • Don’t eat too much protein (see explanation below)
    • Use herbs and spices to flavour foods instead of salt
    • Cook fresh as much as possible, and eat less unhealthy options such as ultraprocessed foods, takeaways, and soft drinks

And about exercise ...

It is recommended that all Australians exercise for 30 minutes most days of the week. ... If you want to lose weight, you may need to do some longer exercise sessions (45-60 minutes) and follow a reduced energy diet.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    tk6x4uewxtiv.png