WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2023

Options
1737475767779»

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,950 Member
    Options
    I’ll read and catch up later. I received the letter from my doctor!

Machka - we did 1 one thousand too.

so glad to read you finally got your letter.
    Make extra copies so work can't say they didn't get it or it got lost and they want another one(that is what happened with dh)
  • Rosemarie2972
    Rosemarie2972 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Allie: Love seeing you in the Party Girl picture! The hanging chair has lasted many years!

Best,
    Rosemarie from Georgia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    Allie - Wonderful!! I love that objects tell a story. <3

Love Heather xxxxxxxx
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,848 Member
    Options
    June 2023 Happiness
    Word of the year: APPRECIATE: Today I appreciate, Social Workers

Meditation: daily. 28/30 (82%(started Feb)94%,100%, 74%.93%)

Feeling overwhelmed and lethargic this month. Taking a break from the list above until I feel more in control. I am also having a bursitis/arthritis/tendinitis attack this month. Doctor prescribed something for me to try. Which seems to be working for my mood. My colitis has also come back. 2 weeks straight as of 6/4/23, and now constipated and nausea. Worried about Brad.

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 8/8–(100%,100%,0%,0%,0%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%- )
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 4/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 114/208—(100%,100%,100%,50%, 83%, 100% should be 103 by July 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)47/94 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,174, (100%,100%,100%,0%,100%, 100%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 14/15 (100%,88%,100,100%,100%,100%, 93%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 23/12 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 6/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200 (100%,100%,100%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met——99 %
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Decide to look for what’s good every day this month. Started with friendly people.
    2. Say positive things in your conversations with others. I will try, but people annoy me.
    3. Re-frame a worry and try to find a helpful way to think about it. This will be about my son. Not sure how to re-frame it but will find a way today. I must realize he is a full grown man and in charge of his own life.
    4. Take a photo of something that brings you joy and share it.
    5. Think of 3 things you’re grateful for and write them down. 1. My family, 2. A roof over my head, 3. Enough food to eat.
    6. Get out into green space and feel the joy that nature brings. every day!
    7. Do something healthy that makes you feel good. 2 walks so far. And therapist today.
    8. Find joy in music: sing, play, dance, listen or share. To be accomplished.
    9. Ask a friend what made them happy recently. Did this on my trip to Lubbock to get my car back finally. Was a great day!
    10. Bring joy to others by doing something kind for them. Will report on this later! Gave a family some Little Debbie cookies.
    11. Eat good food that makes you happy and really savor it. Will do! Yesterday had a salad made from lettuce, onion, peppers, and tomato from my garden. The dressing was homemade too! Mmmmmm
    12. Write a gratitude letter to thank someone. To be done! Sent my GS a thank you note for being my grandchild!
    13. Take a light-hearted approach. Choose to see the funny side. Already happening after a very stressful day yesterday.
    14. Share a happy memory with someone who means a lot to you. Will do.
    15. Look for something to be thankful for where you least expect it. This will be fun to find things. How about turtle eggs on the beach that have to be moved to not be crushed.
    16. Speak to others in a warm and friendly manner. I will try.
    17. Take time to notice things that you find beautiful. Will do! Watched people enjoying the lake on a beautiful Saturday!
    18. Look for something good in a difficult situation. My son is getting help from a social worker who is including me.
    19. Get outside and find the joy in being active.Too hot today, 105 degrees at 1;45 pm!
    20. Rediscover and enjoy a fun childhood activity. Going to color! Didn’t do this. I must make time to do this.
    21. Send a positive note to a friend who needs encouragement. Forgot to do this
    22. Watch something funny and enjoy how it feels to laugh. There is a funny tv show called “The Neighbors” about humans living next door to aliens that makes me laugh. Will watch that today.
    23. Create a playlist of uplifting songs to listen to. I have one already!
    24. Bring to mind a favorite memory you feel grateful for. Boating on the Cumberland River in TN. So peaceful!
    25. Show your appreciation to people who are helping others. Will do if i have the opportunity.
    26. Make time to do something playful just for the fun of it. I will try to remember! I did jigsaw puzzles all day.
    27. Be kind to you. Do something that brings you joy. Going to get some ice cream at sonic today after a Dr. Appt.
    28. Notice how positive emotions are contagious among people. I’ve noticed that just a smile to a stranger changes their visage. [/spoiler]
    29. Share a friendly smile with people you see today.—Always
    30. Make a list of the joys in your life and keep adding to it. Did this in my journal.

RVRita
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Happy Friday Ladies!

Barbie - your post this morning about control and "emotional hangover" really struck a chord with me. I have been stressing over having Sube in the shop. A whole list of silly "what if's" took over my brain, and I had to constantly ask myself "what's the worst that could happen?" Deep rooted fear of some type? My inability to control the whole she-bang? I mentioned this to my friend who picked me up yesterday afternoon to go get the car, and decided it's likely just the change of pattern - change of schedule - some retired people really thrive on new and exciting things to do and places to go every day, and I'm not one of them. Especially when it deals with my wheels, lol. :p

Also, Barbie - good luck in finding the perfect car.

Car repair update:
    I called AAA at 7:30 am yesterday, got thru on the first ring, and a super helpful guy got everything set up for the tow truck. He said it would be at my house within an hour. It arrived at 7:30. It took a few minutes to get it loaded on the flatbed, and it was pretty neat to watch. Roger even came out and we chatted for a few minutes.

The appointment to replace the bearing was for 12 noon, projected replacement would take 2 hours, then 1 hour alignment. At around 1, the mechanic called and said they forgot to put 3 seals on the quote so it would be another $75, I said OK, go for it. He also said they checked the bearing on the other side and it wasn't showing much wear. Good news. He said it would take a little longer than expected but they would have it done this afternoon.

I stalled my ride, but she picked me up and we pulled in around 4. We noticed it was still on the lift with the wheels off. The service desk assured us everything would be done by the end of the day, but not right away. I didn't feel like waiting and my ride brought me back home, she'll be here at 7:30 this morning and drop me off on her way to work at 8, which will be perfect since I can hit the grocery stores early and grab a few things.

OK, I'm back home with the Subaru. Ran into Walmart which wasn't crowded yet at 8 am, grabbed a few things and came home. The car did seem quieter without the wheel bearing noise. Mechanics have trained ears, I guess, like when my dog disappears back under the power line I can tell if it's her barking or the dog across the fence. They know to listen for "metal on metal". :D

Anyhow, all is good. I really love driving that little car and hope to keep it on the road forever.

Tracey - Glad the letter from the doc came through!

Rosemarie - I know I'm late, but sending big hugs to you for your anniversary. Glad you were able to do some things and keep busy. <3 Have fun at WW tomorrow, it will be interesting to see how the "workshops" are now run.

Vicki - glad you hear you've hired someone. I hope she sticks around and is happy with the job. <3

Lee Ann - your vacation looks wonderful! What a beautiful spot - thank you for the photos. Looks like a great place to get away. I keep reading that being in nature and being surrounded by "green" is very healing. I know it is for me - living in the Evergreen State (Washington.)

Heather - so glad you were able to stay with the lady next door. Glad the ship's staff figured out they need to be more responsive to cases like this.

Flea - are you sure you aren't in your 30's? You and your family are having some awesome adventures. :p Very happy for you out there enjoying yourself.

Katiebug - Now you did it. :p I'm going to buy stock in the Oikos company. What a perfect dessert/after supper snack, satisfying and much healthier than a big bowl of ice cream. Even with the reddiwhip it's what - maybe 120 calories at the most?

I'm not a calorie counter and, like many of you, are concentrating on getting adequate protein. I've been buying the "original" Reddiwhip. Looks like not much difference in calories between that and sugar free. The "original" has sugar and corn syrup, which we are supposed to shy away from. The sugar free has sucralose (which is in Splenda) and that is apparently on the list for damaging gut bacteria. :s As Rosanna Rosanna Danna said, "If it's not one thing, it's another." I'm thinking a nice squirt of either one per day isn't going to do much harm in the long run. ;)

Regarding Weight Lifting/Metabolic health: I just finished reading "Stay off my Operating Table" A Heart Surgeon's Metabolic Health Guide to Lose Weight, by Dr. Philip Avadia.

It's pretty interesting - tells of his journey to fitness. He was once quite obese and by gradually incorporating healthier foods and exercise, he is now in good shape.

He uses the X3 Bar weight routine, which is pushing muscles to "failure" and says it's better than the gym workouts most people are used to. I carry watering cans around to water my container garden, they hold over a gallon each, maybe 10#. So last night I lifted them up like I was doing a curl until I couldn't hold them any more - "failure." He says lifting and moving Kettlebells performs a similar function for muscle building! Maybe I'll dust mine off instead of thinking it's "too heavy."

The X3 Bar routine was developed by John Jaquish who wrote "Weight Lifting is a Waste of Time." I have it on order from the library. Here's Jaquish's website if anyone is interested. Lots of photos of guys with big muscles, but it seems like we older gals might be able to utilize this too. Have any of you heard of this?

OK better close. I"ve been working on this for 5 hours, lol. Grateful for the "save draft" option.

Have a great weekend!

Lanette B)
    Sunny SW WA State
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    :)Lanette, Glad all worked out well with your car. Something to add to your gratitude list. I have a difficult time with changes to my routine. I am not seeking variety. I love my routine, For me, the worst part of going to the doctor is the change in my schedule and the need to wear different clothing so I have short sleeves to accommodate the blood pressure cuff. I am rarely upset for the reasons that other people think I am.

:)Tracey, your patience was rewarded with the letter you were waiting for. Big problems take time to solve.

:) I just listened to a podcast about the food people eat on through hikes of the Appalachian Trail. It is almost the opposite of how I eat. They need the most calories from the smallest volume of food with only shelf stable ingredients while I look for the biggest volume and the lowest calories with primarily fresh ingredients.

:) I am 77 years old. I expect that my fitness regime will look different than one for someone 5, 10, 15, or 20 years younger than I am.

:) I'll be posting the new thread for July soon. I didn't want to put it off until the last minute. It's already July in Australia and Japan and lots of other places.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,950 Member
    Options
    So today we got paid. We will go to the commissary again to see if it has power. I want to buy the bag of "Everything" salad. It has just enough cabbage and kale so it lasts longer than a garden salad. I just can't quite eat a head of lettuce quick enough to warrant buying one, so we buy the bags. Those too can get watery if you forget about them.
    I love my fish tacos with the everything salad. I just turn it into coleslaw. A splash of ACV, relish, salt &pepper, Old Bay, mayo, sourcream, and some Truvia its a spoonful of heaven. I mix it in a covered bowl and shake it. Then sometimes I add a wee bit more ACV. I only make up enough for my fish tacos. I usually have 3. I use taco sized tortillas and warm them with a slice of pepper jack cheese. Tat is my glue for the fish to stay put.😁
    I wish eldest son would find out where he is going next. I know the Navy has its own time schedule for things but...sighs.... I know there is no rushing these things.
    Today is buying veggies, dairy and some frozen items. I seem to always buy white mushrooms, tomatoes, hummus, a great avocado, but I will buy some broccoli too. I will saute' with mushrooms. When I was down at sisters she used canned mushrooms. While good in a pinch, fresh mushrooms are so much sweeter. Especially when you saute' them with sweet onions. I don't have to play the math game today, while shopping, but I do try to reign it in a bit.
    Enjoy the Friday ladies! Hugs!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

I got a huge bag of big mushrooms when I helped at food program. Need to figure out what to do with them. I prefer the white ones but hey, they were free. Thinking I will grate them(in the food processor)then saute them down. They are firmer than the white ones after cooking. A bit tough when I have cooked them before.

Made a huge batch of hummus for mom's party and brought most of it home(wasn't a hit I guess).
    Had two red peppers, cut in half and stuffed with hummus again for lunch. Only the second time making hummus and this time was really good. Smooth enough,better than last time.
    We get so many cans of garbanzo beans at food program so good way to use them. Also got the red peppers there too so was a perfect thing to make. I am really enjoying having it ready made and will be making more when I finish this batch- almost done.

Debbie
    Napa Valley, Ca
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    So today we got paid. We will go to the commissary again to see if it has power. I want to buy the bag of "Everything" salad. It has just enough cabbage and kale so it lasts longer than a garden salad. I just can't quite eat a head of lettuce quick enough to warrant buying one, so we buy the bags. Those too can get watery if you forget about them.
    I love my fish tacos with the everything salad. I just turn it into coleslaw. A splash of ACV, relish, salt &pepper, Old Bay, mayo, sourcream, and some Truvia its a spoonful of heaven. I mix it in a covered bowl and shake it. Then sometimes I add a wee bit more ACV. I only make up enough for my fish tacos. I usually have 3. I use taco sized tortillas and warm them with a slice of pepper jack cheese. Tat is my glue for the fish to stay put.😁
    I wish eldest son would find out where he is going next. I know the Navy has its own time schedule for things but...sighs.... I know there is no rushing these things.
    Today is buying veggies, dairy and some frozen items. I seem to always buy white mushrooms, tomatoes, hummus, a great avocado, but I will buy some broccoli too. I will saute' with mushrooms. When I was down at sisters she used canned mushrooms. While good in a pinch, fresh mushrooms are so much sweeter. Especially when you saute' them with sweet onions. I don't have to play the math game today, while shopping, but I do try to reign it in a bit.
    Enjoy the Friday ladies! Hugs!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

I got a huge bag of big mushrooms when I helped at food program. Need to figure out what to do with them. I prefer the white ones but hey, they were free. Thinking I will grate them(in the food processor)then saute them down. They are firmer than the white ones after cooking. A bit tough when I have cooked them before.

Made a huge batch of hummus for mom's party and brought most of it home(wasn't a hit I guess).
    Had two red peppers, cut in half and stuffed with hummus again for lunch. Only the second time making hummus and this time was really good. Smooth enough,better than last time.
    We get so many cans of garbanzo beans at food program so good way to use them. Also got the red peppers there too so was a perfect thing to make. I am really enjoying having it ready made and will be making more when I finish this batch- almost done.

Debbie
    Napa Valley, Ca

You could mix sauted mushrooms with hamburger and freeze? You could mix with spaghetti sauce and freeze.😁
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    Right now it’s 105. The ac is on inside, I’m sitting outside so I can warm up. Tomorrow it’s supposed to be 75 at 5am and 74 at 6am. We’ll start our walk at 5 with a flashlight.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,116 Member
    Options
    ☘️