WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2023

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,914 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Even with my sliding on the detail work, we're on track to pay off the house next month, which will be exactly five years since we bought it. When I retired early at age 60, it slowed us down by about six months, but didn't stop us, and I'm really pleased for that. The amount of interest we've saved by paying off a 30-year mortgage in five years just staggers me.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa

Congratulations!

I (on my own) and my current husband and I have always paid down our debts faster than estimated time. It does save a lot of money. :)

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    misssixtea wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I am a serial MFP lurker looking to get more active in the MFP online community! I'm almost 48, just wondering whether you mind if I join this board?
    I am 5'8, 65kg with a goal weight of 60kg, I am pretty active, run and cycle a lot, but I don't really eat very well all the time. A lot of stress/boredom eating and poor habits which I'd like to tackle.
    Really happy to talk about fitness, sport, nutrition generally. I have coeliac disease and am largely veggie.
    I'm also really interested about how to maintain fitness without resulting in injury - I am almost exclusively cardio-based and my body is definitely objecting, so doing a lot of thinking about how to move into strength/flexibility stuff as my body gets older!
    That was a bit of an essay! Feel free to add me as a friend if anyone is so inclined!
    Thanks
    Clarie

Hi Clarie,

I'm also fairly active, especially cycling, walking and rowing. And a little bit of running.

But I have added gardening, Pilates, a bit of weight lifting which has added the strength/flexibility stuff.

And my diet leans toward being vegetarian. Some days it is vegetarian ... other days we add a little bit of chicken or very occasionally something else.

Machka in Australia
  • Machka9
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Update from Destiny's mom:
    We are not saying anything to des all she thinks is that the blood she is coughing up is from her throat or her nose bleeding down her throat . Which could be what is actually happening they really do. Not know
    So today was fairly a good day for her. She got up and was in less pain than the day before. But then tonight we got some shocking and devastating news today. Destiny has been coughing up blood clots. was just told that she could start bleeding a lot to where they can’t control it and could pass away. It could happen tonight, weeks or months or not at all( hopefully the not at all)

So sorry and so difficult.
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    It is foggy this morning. I hope the fog will bring a bit of moisture to the lawn here & corn field across the road from us.

Katla in Illinois
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Machka I'm really surprised that elbow isn't broken. Such bruising! Hope your busy week goes smoothly.

My dad has a massage this morning, and then endocrinology up north. He will have to drive on the interstate. I'm a little worried about him driving. We tried to move all his appointments closer, but couldn't. I would have driven him, but he's going straight from the massage. And I have to go buy groceries. This transition period is awkward, especially since he won't admit needing help. Oh well I worry too much anyway.

Annie in Delaware
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,569 Member
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,718 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Here with Miles who is sleeping.. going to pack the car this afternoon to be able to just pick up Alfie after taking care of Miles tomorrow and then drive up to the lake.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,355 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump Day ladies! <3

Rosemarie - I am sort of a fan of WW, have been on and off the program since I was 18 and credit it for keeping my weight in check throughout the years. I really liked the accountability of weekly weigh-in's, but that was a love/hate relationship. Super happy to have a loss recorded, but terribly depressed to have gained a fraction of a pound. It helped me to keep an Excel chart and see the trend over the months. As I mentioned recently in this group, I gave up on it though because it seemed the focus was on the app and they didn't give much support to folks using the web. So I came here. :p

Rita - many ((HUGS))) re the situation with your son. Hope it gets resolved and he is safe. I am following your doc visits. Didn't you say this (gal?) is a functional medicine doc? These aches and pains can get a person down.

Regarding IF, seems like lots of docs are recommending it to help with diabetes, insulin resistance and other health benefits, including but not exclusively .... weight loss. IF takes many forms - for some, it's not eating for 12 or 16 or even 20 hours per day. Some choose Krista Varady's alternate day fasting which the NPR article focused on. Some water fast for two or three days twice a year, etc. I think Michael Mosley's "Eat, Fast and Live Longer" BBC documentary gave a great overview of the various types and positive health effects. As I've mentioned before, I like to watch it at least once a year. I need constant reminders about how restricted eating now and then helps me in many ways. These days I "fast" from 12 to 16 hours, depending on the day and how hungry I am and what I have going on. Leaving the junk food alone after supper has been my biggest challenge, but focusing on plenty of protein throughout the day is helping.

Flea and Heather - thank you for sharing the vacation photos :) Has anyone heard from Penny? Are they finished with the North Pole project?

Pip - that fountain will be so neat to have in your private nook. That dog carrier is a great idea.

Debbie - Destiny's positive attitude is astounding. Sending massive hugs to her and her folks as they go through this.

Welcome new gals, by the way. <3

Sending cooling thoughts to those of you baking the the south and parts of the Midwest. Two years ago this week the Pacific Northwest saw temps above 105f for several days. So far there's none of that in the forecast.

Make it a good day!

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• Machka9
    Options
    Meanwhile ... it's midwinter down here!
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    The air quality here is poor due to smoke from fires in Canada. I hope our Canadian friends are safe.

Katla
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Heather - love your pics. Looks amazing!

Katie - Hope air quality gets better for you. In Alberta where I am we have nice clear blue skies now. My DS in Ontario still dealing with very poor air quality due to fires in Quebec.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have not been a fan of WW since they switched to points. I loved the program when it was exchanges. I thought that was the healthiest diet that made the most sense of any diet out there. I kind of sort of still eat that way subconsciously. How long has it been? I think they switched to points in the late 80s. I lost 30 lbs on the exchange system. Having said all that, I agree with Barbie when she says the best diet is the one that works for you.