Looking for stepping up physical activity, open to suggestions and any help

Options
Hello! I'm 6 months in and down 45 pounds but still have 100 pounds to go.
So far I've just been counting my calories and changed my diet to a low carb/keto/carnivore way of eating. Basically cutting out breads and sugars. This seems to be working but I think it's time to step up my physical activity. I do have some arthritis, with ankle and knee pain.
Back in 2015 I joined a gym but really didn't enjoy going, I always felt out of place. I'm not sure I want to go that route but if I could muster up the courage and do away with my insecurities I do believe a gym would offer the best variety.
I would like to hear how you started adding exercises into your plan, what did you start doing and did you just do them at home or did you join a gym?

Replies

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I use an app called FitOn with lots of free exercise videos, a number labeled low impact. Some of them are as short as 13 minutes so not intimidating. Is your neighborhood / area good for walking? You could wear a fitness watch and track calories burned while walking quickly.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I have some social anxiety and get being uncomfortable in new places. :blush:

Every gym I've ever joined has given me 1-3 free sessions with a trainer. This is also a good way to get familiar and comfortable with the gym. Some gyms have also had small group classes for free or very inexpensive. I have taken advantage of this numerous times.

I have pain in one ankle and a knee condition in my other leg. My physical therapist was really happy to hear I joined a gym. I like YMCAs because they often have overhead tracks and a pool. My ankle starts to hurt after 8 minutes of walking, so I walk for 5, recumbent bike for 5, row for 2, or elliptical for 2, then walk another 5, until I've done a total of 20 minutes of walking plus whatever.

While I prefer getting cardio outside, this time of year it's just too hot for me, which is another advantage of the gym.

I spent two years getting over an issue with my elbow, had 6 months of no pain, then fell on my wrist and have been dealing with that for almost two years. I've been afraid to start strength training again, but my physical therapist said I can, and should. So any day now I'm going to schedule that session with the trainer :smiley:

Do start slowly, and slowly build up. In addition to the above, I've also started swimming, have always been doing yoga and my PT exercises, and now have pain in my hip when I stand or walk slowly. :disappointed: I'm frustrated. I think I'll back off the rowing, because it is the newest, and the elliptical, because I hate it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I go on YouTube and search for beginner, low impact cardio or walking workouts and beginner bodyweight workouts for strength. Beginner yoga is good for mobility, strength, and (for me) mental health break.
  • stoyna22012004
    stoyna22012004 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello I am 19 175 and 69-70 kg. I have been trying to loose weight since I can remember haha. When I look back I was skinny before, but after I started training and my body hit puberty I gained weight. I know I am healthy but I feel like I would have more confidence if I was at a lower body fat %. The issue is I eat ap. 1600 calories, sometimes even less. I try to track as accurately as possible, but with no progress. I got scared because a lot if ppl say if you eat less your metabolism slows down and actually makes you gain. So please help, tell me what I should do. For now I will continue to eat healthy like I do, but some tips and support will be appreciated<3
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    In addition to whatever intentional exercise you do, there are lots of ways of increasing your daily movement just living your life. At the grocery store, park in the furthest parking spot from the door and walk from there. If you have to go to the second or third floor of a building, take the stairs rather than the elevator...you can increase the height as you get better. (I personally take the stairs for anything under 5 stories, and would go higher except my wife complains I take too long compared to her elevator ride, lol.) Turn around three times before lying down...oh, wait, that's just my dog, never mind, lol.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,160 Member
    Options
    Hello I am 19 175 and 69-70 kg. I have been trying to loose weight since I can remember haha. When I look back I was skinny before, but after I started training and my body hit puberty I gained weight. I know I am healthy but I feel like I would have more confidence if I was at a lower body fat %. The issue is I eat ap. 1600 calories, sometimes even less. I try to track as accurately as possible, but with no progress. I got scared because a lot if ppl say if you eat less your metabolism slows down and actually makes you gain. So please help, tell me what I should do. For now I will continue to eat healthy like I do, but some tips and support will be appreciated<3

@stoyna22012004, you'd probable get better if you start your own thread, rather than posting a reply on one that's not directly related to your situation.

Brief reply: If not losing weight over a many-week period at a certain calorie goal, you're not likely to ruin your metabolism by going a little lower. You can learn more about what is and isn't true about that "damaged metabolism" thing in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1077746/starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss/p1
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    In addition to whatever intentional exercise you do, there are lots of ways of increasing your daily movement just living your life. At the grocery store, park in the furthest parking spot from the door and walk from there. If you have to go to the second or third floor of a building, take the stairs rather than the elevator...you can increase the height as you get better. (I personally take the stairs for anything under 5 stories, and would go higher except my wife complains I take too long compared to her elevator ride, lol.) Turn around three times before lying down...oh, wait, that's just my dog, never mind, lol.

If that idea appeals to you OP, lots of MFP-ers share their ideas about increasing non-exercise activity in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1
  • John772016
    John772016 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    *kitten*?

Ha! MPF censored the game where you stand outside, across from each other, and throw beanbags trying to get them into the hole on the slanted board.

Well, it was much more entertaining in my mind before you clarified it 😆
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    I was thinking "afternoon delight", but I guess that game works, too, lol.
  • vexedangel678
    vexedangel678 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    nossmf wrote: »

If that idea appeals to you OP, lots of MFP-ers share their ideas about increasing non-exercise activity in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

Thank you for sharing this thread!
  • ehelmsnc
    ehelmsnc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope burns the most calories. I was surprised by this. Just time yourself and build up the time you jump daily or weekly. Start with 15 seconds. Do a few rounds of 15 seconds then try 30 etc. and you can do it throughout the day or whenever convenient. It is the cumulative time that matters. I would suggest buying a mat or some sort of floor pad if you jump in the garage as concrete is hard on the knees.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    ehelmsnc wrote: »
    Jumping rope burns the most calories. I was surprised by this. Just time yourself and build up the time you jump daily or weekly. Start with 15 seconds. Do a few rounds of 15 seconds then try 30 etc. and you can do it throughout the day or whenever convenient. It is the cumulative time that matters. I would suggest buying a mat or some sort of floor pad if you jump in the garage as concrete is hard on the knees.

Maybe.

But if a person hates it and procrastinates/avoids it at the slightest opportunity, it's isn't the most calorie-burning activity for that person. Worse yet if they get injured doing it (high impact, possibly an issue if untrained and at high body weight). Then the person can't even do normal activity for however long it takes to heal, burns fewer calories than normal.

Am I catastrophizing? Maybe.

If exercise were for weight loss (which IMO it isn't), the best exercise is one we enjoy, want to do, would do even if it weren't good for us . . . because things we do burn more calories than things we skip whenever we can. No, fun exercise is not mythical (for most people).

If a person loves jumping rope: Great! It's convenient, takes minimal equipment that's very affordable and even travels well . . . all good stuff.