WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2023

Options

Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,539 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I had imagined that this winter (just ending) would be slow and relaxing. I envisioned getting the puzzles out and doing lots of reading. I even imagined I would make progress on the office mess.

Then I blinked and it's almost the end of winter. I am well behind on several things. Plus the puzzles and office haven't been touched.

So many other things came up!

On bees ...

A queen lives about 5 or 6 years while other bees (scouts, guards, nurses, foragers, etc.) live 3-6 weeks.

Early in her life, the queen takes a flight where she mates with a drone. She returns to the hive and proceeds to lay eggs in the honeycomb cells. The brood is tended by the nurse bees and most of the brood grow up to be scouts, guards, nurses, foragers, etc. This process keeps going and going because the scouts, guards, nurses, foragers, etc. have short lives.

But in the spring, sometimes the nurse bees choose a few female larvae, feed them royal jelly, and raise them up to be queens.

When one hatches, the old queen will usually leave and will take about 2/3 of the bees with her ... in a swarm. If you ever see a swarm, leave them alone, contact your local beekeeping association and someone will come and get them. Those swarms are highly valued.

Meanwhile, the new queen will kill all the other would-be queens and will set up shop in the hive. If the old queen doesn't leave in time, she'll be killed by the new queen too.

The old queen and her followers will be collected by someone (or will set up a hive in a tree or chimney or something), and the year will pass. Next spring, the same sort of thing might happen.

Our bees were a caught swarm, so we can't know for sure how old the queen was. She could have been nearing the end of her life.

The brood box was empty so I figure she passed on at least 3-6 weeks ago, the nurse bees got the last set of larvae hatched, and then there was no more.

So yes, it happens from time to time.

The Queen Bee: her birth, life and death
    https://www.geesbees.ca/post/the-queen-bee

And yes, we'll clean things up and see if we can obtain another swarm. :)

Machka in Oz

I find the world of bees fascinating! When you tell it, it sounds like a Medieval kingdom, I can picture the story in my head. The old Queen with her loyal followers, retreating to another part of the kingdom in the dark of night. Truth be told, I am scared to death of them. One of my phobias.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 13/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 1/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) 1/8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min 3/20

2023- Altruistic August

Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate my volunteer work at the park.

Meditation: daily. 20/31 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%)

Walking and exercising slowed down because of record heat this month. Had bad asthma attack sending me to ER.

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 7/8–(100%,100%,0%,0%,0%,0%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5418,4157,6745 (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 3/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%,100%, 100%.100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 174/208—(100%,100%,100%,50%, 83%, 100%, 100%)should be 154 by September 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)70/94 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6 (100%,100%,100%,0%,100%,100%,0%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 11/22 (100%,88%,100%,100%,100%,93%,100%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 30/12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 8/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,(100%,100%,100%,100%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Set an intention to be kind to others (and yourself) this month. I plan to be kind to people I meet and to myself. Not just this month but all the time. It may not be every time, but I will try.
    2. Send an uplifting message to someone you can’t be with. I will text my best friend who lives in Michigan, and my friend that lives in NY. Did this
    3. Be kind and supportive to everyone you interact with. I did this!
    4. Ask someone how they feel and really listen to their reply. I plan to try to remember to do this. Done!
    5. Spend time wishing for other people to be happy and well. Will meditate and do this through a loving-kindness meditation.
    6. Smile and be friendly to the people you see today. Will do!
    7. Give time to help a project or cause you care about. I volunteer at Bottomless Lakes State park and also belong to the ‘Friends of’ group and am on the board as secretary. Does this count?
    8. Make some tasty food for someone who will appreciate it. My DH does all the cooking. Perhaps i will look for something KETO to cook. Otherwise, we give food to our co-host often.
    9. Thank someone you’re grateful to and tell them why. I will!
    10. Check in with someone who may be lonely or feeling anxious. Checked in with my son.
    11. Share an encouraging news story to inspire others. Did this at ER when the diagnosis was given.
    12. Contact a friend to let them know you’re thinking of them. Did this yesterday and will do again today.
    13. No plans day! Be kind to yourself so you can be kind to others too. I need the rest!
    14. Take an actions to be kind to nature and care for our planet. Will do! Need to de-stress!
    15. If someone annoys you, be kind. Imagine how they may be feeling. I will try to put myself in the other person’s shoes. Did this again last night with a camper.
    16. Make a thoughtful gift as a surprise for someone. Will have to think about this! Did not do this. :(
    17. Be kind online. Share positive and supportive comments. Will do!
    18. Today, do something to make life easier for someone else. I did try to accommodate a camper.
    19. Be thankful for your food and the people who make it possible. I am.
    20. Look for the good in everyone you meet today. Sometimes that is hard but I am getting better at it. Maybe not right away but after I thought about the person’s reactions and what could cause it.
    21. Donate unused items, clothes, or food to help a local charity. I will have to think on this. Not planning on going to town today.
    22. Give people the gift of your full attention.
    23. Share an article, book, or podcast you find helpful.
    24. Forgive someone who hurt you in the past.
    25. Give your time, energy, or attention to someone in need.
    26. Find a way to ‘pay it forward’ or support a good cause.
    27. Notice when someone is down and try to brighten his day. (My DH’s birthday. He always gets depressed on this day. Worse this year as he turns 70 today).
    28. Have a friendly chat with someone you don’t know very well.
    29. Do something kind to help in your local community.
    30. Give away something to those who don’t have as much as you.
    31. Share Action for Happiness with other people today.

RVRita in Roswell, NM

The best predictor of the future or future behavior is the past. If until this point the relationships, hobby, friendship, job, etc. has not served you in any positive regard, it likely won't in the future.
    — YALDA SAFAI, MD, MPH
    A Word From Verywell
    Sunk cost fallacy can be tricky to wrap your head around, and it’s not without nuance. For more clarity in these complex decision-making moments, completely disregard how much you’ve already invested so that it doesn’t hold influence. Then, look at the facts.
    \

Thrive Market EFGT code

Are you satisfied? Have you repeatedly been met with dead ends? Is there still potential for a positive outcome if you continue investing your resources and energy? What are the benefits of walking away and opening a new door? These are the factors that should influence your decision rather than any previously sunk costs.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies!

The day got away from me. It's hot and smoky here right now - windy too. It's been worse in past years but still, not a good idea to be out in it for long. Should be starting to clear by this time tomorrow. With all the hot hot weather we had, trees are dropping leaves and it looks like fall already.

A reminder, if anyone wants to add info to the accountability post tomorrow, please message it to me on MFP.

Tracey - I just sent you a message, hope you got it. In the past I've been able to message folks I'm not "friends" with, but MFP seems to have changed that.

Wondering how Evie in Vancouver is doing with the smoke.

Been reading posts as I am able - hope to catch up tonight or tomorrow. :)

Lanette
    SW WA State

I just sent you a message. Hope you got it!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,364 Member
    Options
    Rita - Love the quote! <3

Barbara - I don't really have any tips as such. I think, for me, it is a general consequence of all the work I have done on myself, and writing my memoirs. I am just happier and less demanding of myself. By no means do I think I've got it taped, but I do take things more easily than I did. I think I am more aware of the processes in my brain that are push/pulling me around. It certainly is a less painful place to live. Love to you. <3 Awareness is the first step. :) You are there.

Kids here. Girls painted the mugs I bought. Max tried to work out how to create a pentagon in the Ancient Greek method. Both he and DH failed.
    Then we played boules in the garden, and the girls showed us how to play marbles with the balls. Edie and I won every time.
    I painted a couple of random blob pictures. Max is reading. Edie painted puffins. Bea playing a self -invented board game. Pick up very soon.
    The poor cleaner had to work her way around us and the kids and a table full of art stuff.

Frittata for dinner. Broccoli, (i blanched it) artichokes, broad beans, peas, scallions, feta. 6 extra large eggs. We love the leftovers for lunch the next day.

All good, but tired. Hope my son and DDIL have got Bea's room sorted. It has been used for storage and is really dusty.

Looking forward to relaxing.
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - that is a beautiful picture of sis and Tucker.

Kim
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,034 Member
    Options
    cool morning- slept in which felt great. Having my tea then heading out to clean the catio. Will be great when dh finally puts the door on where the playhouse/litter box is so I don't have to lean through the little window and make a dozen trips with a little bucket to clean it out. Will go pick up another 40lb bag of pine bedding pellets to put in when I am done. So glad we tried them. They work great and really keep the smell down and super cheap compared to regular litter. The more they pee on them, the better they smell.
    Will pick some tomatoes and check the rest of the garden. No other plans. Nice to have my day off- will take some time to get used to having M,T,W off.
    Class tonight. Skipped walking this morning.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,364 Member
    Options
    We have Edie and Max on Wednesday afternoon. Max will only stay a short time as he has sailing classes. They haven't finished Bea 's room.

They were meant to have a shower while they were here, but we all completely forgot!

Wednesday morning I am going to the park for a French Circle meet up. The woman I connected with will be there. I emailed her. :)

Thursday afternoon I have a Zoom call with Saga, for which I will get a £25 voucher for half an hour. Last time I got £100 for 90 mins and bought my white leather trainers. :D It's about being a grandparent and looking after the kids in the school holidays etc. It's Saga 'Experienced Voices', a market research group. Happy to get a voucher! I might put it towards a wedding outfit for my niece's wedding.

Relaxing now. Quizzy Monday on TV. DH loves it.
    Frittata was amazing. B)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,428 Member
    Options
    MFP Accountability Post for August 21, 2023

Tracey in Edmonton - This week's average weight was 197.7. Down a bit. I won’t be weighing most of this week and next because I’ll be away, but will start up again in September.

Lanette SW WA – up 1 pound, 6 pounds to goal range. So no improvement on pants fitting looser. Still delaying breakfast 12 to 14 hours, still cut back on processed foods and sugary treats but too many salty peanuts before bed this past couple days.
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    The older I get, the more I fidget - I don't even recognize it most of the time, but Corey is aware of it. He says I am never still: https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20230814-why-fidgeting-is-good-for-you
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    Tracey, connections is on the NY Times website, along with Wordle. I have Wordle bookmarked. I play it first, then click on the menu bar on the top left and click on connections from there.

Barbara, today was not the best day to try Connections. Neither Dave nor I got it. I struggle if one of the categories comes from pop culture, and two of them did today. I knew three of the categories but couldn’t figure out the other one, so I made too many wrong guesses. I only had one category completely right, and that was after I wasted two guesses on it. One day, all of the choices were two letter words. The categories ended up being musical notes, state abbreviations, periodic table abbreviations, and something else. I can’t remember. It takes a few tries before you get the hang of it, and even then, some days, like today, are just hard.

Wordle, Connections, and Phrazle are my 3 mind games I play on the internet. Then I play Sudoku and one more word game on apps. I may play a few too many, but I am terrified of dementia. I’ve got to do what I can.

If you want one that will really make you say inappropriate words, try Contexto. My daughter had me addicted to that for a while, but I gave it up. You just guessed random words and the game told you how close you were in context to the word of the day. It was ridiculous. I still play every now and then, because it’s kind of like a train wreck. You feel pretty smart if you can guess it in 20 tries, but it is crazy!

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I had imagined that this winter (just ending) would be slow and relaxing. I envisioned getting the puzzles out and doing lots of reading. I even imagined I would make progress on the office mess.

Then I blinked and it's almost the end of winter. I am well behind on several things. Plus the puzzles and office haven't been touched.

So many other things came up!

On bees ...

A queen lives about 5 or 6 years while other bees (scouts, guards, nurses, foragers, etc.) live 3-6 weeks.

Early in her life, the queen takes a flight where she mates with a drone. She returns to the hive and proceeds to lay eggs in the honeycomb cells. The brood is tended by the nurse bees and most of the brood grow up to be scouts, guards, nurses, foragers, etc. This process keeps going and going because the scouts, guards, nurses, foragers, etc. have short lives.

But in the spring, sometimes the nurse bees choose a few female larvae, feed them royal jelly, and raise them up to be queens.

When one hatches, the old queen will usually leave and will take about 2/3 of the bees with her ... in a swarm. If you ever see a swarm, leave them alone, contact your local beekeeping association and someone will come and get them. Those swarms are highly valued.

Meanwhile, the new queen will kill all the other would-be queens and will set up shop in the hive. If the old queen doesn't leave in time, she'll be killed by the new queen too.

The old queen and her followers will be collected by someone (or will set up a hive in a tree or chimney or something), and the year will pass. Next spring, the same sort of thing might happen.

Our bees were a caught swarm, so we can't know for sure how old the queen was. She could have been nearing the end of her life.

The brood box was empty so I figure she passed on at least 3-6 weeks ago, the nurse bees got the last set of larvae hatched, and then there was no more.

So yes, it happens from time to time.

The Queen Bee: her birth, life and death
    https://www.geesbees.ca/post/the-queen-bee

And yes, we'll clean things up and see if we can obtain another swarm. :)

Machka in Oz

I find the world of bees fascinating! When you tell it, it sounds like a Medieval kingdom, I can picture the story in my head. The old Queen with her loyal followers, retreating to another part of the kingdom in the dark of night. Truth be told, I am scared to death of them. One of my phobias.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

One of the neat things about the bees is that all of them, except the drones, are female. So all the worker bees - nurses, guards, scouts, foragers, etc are female.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options

Tracey in Edmonton - This week's average weight was 197.7. Down a bit. I won’t be weighing most of this week and next because I’ll be away, but will start up again in September.

Lanette SW WA – up 1 pound, 6 pounds to goal range. So no improvement on pants fitting looser. Still delaying breakfast 12 to 14 hours, still cut back on processed foods and sugary treats but too many salty peanuts before bed this past couple days.

Peanuts make me bloat and cramp something awful. They fairly high in calories too. So I rarely eat them.

I've been the same weight for about 3 weeks. Not bad, I guess with a week of travel in there. But I have started climbing stairs again so hopefully I see some movement downward by the end of the week.

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,428 Member
    Options

Missed one - need to add:

Debbie in CA - weight 151.4 dressed(forgot to weigh before getting dressed and too lazy to take them off to weigh)- down aprox. one pound this week.