• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,890 Member
    Options
    Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 15/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 1/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) 1/8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min 4/20

2023- Altruistic August

Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate caring people.

Meditation: daily. 26/31 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%)

Walking and exercising slowed down because of record heat this month. Had bad asthma attack sending me to ER. Blood pressure very high making me tired.

Rita
    Stop B12
    Switch DHEA to every other day on sept 6
    Kev
    Add folic acid, once a day
    Add magnesium to 3x a day
    Up Berberine to 3x a day

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 7/8–(300%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5418,4157,6745,7029,6938,(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 3/2 —(800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 177/208—(733%) should be 172 by October 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)72/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6 (500%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 22/22 (681%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 32/12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 8/12—(800%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (800%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,(500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Set an intention to be kind to others (and yourself) this month. I plan to be kind to people I meet and to myself. Not just this month but all the time. It may not be every time, but I will try.
    2. Send an uplifting message to someone you can’t be with. I will text my best friend who lives in Michigan, and my friend that lives in NY. Did this
    3. Be kind and supportive to everyone you interact with. I did this!
    4. Ask someone how they feel and really listen to their reply. I plan to try to remember to do this. Done!
    5. Spend time wishing for other people to be happy and well. Will meditate and do this through a loving-kindness meditation.
    6. Smile and be friendly to the people you see today. Will do!
    7. Give time to help a project or cause you care about. I volunteer at Bottomless Lakes State park and also belong to the ‘Friends of’ group and am on the board as secretary. Does this count?
    8. Make some tasty food for someone who will appreciate it. My DH does all the cooking. Perhaps i will look for something KETO to cook. Otherwise, we give food to our co-host often.
    9. Thank someone you’re grateful to and tell them why. I will!
    10. Check in with someone who may be lonely or feeling anxious. Checked in with my son.
    11. Share an encouraging news story to inspire others. Did this at ER when the diagnosis was given.
    12. Contact a friend to let them know you’re thinking of them. Did this yesterday and will do again today.
    13. No plans day! Be kind to yourself so you can be kind to others too. I need the rest!
    14. Take an actions to be kind to nature and care for our planet. Will do! Need to de-stress!
    15. If someone annoys you, be kind. Imagine how they may be feeling. I will try to put myself in the other person’s shoes. Did this again last night with a camper.
    16. Make a thoughtful gift as a surprise for someone. Will have to think about this! Did not do this. :(
    17. Be kind online. Share positive and supportive comments. Will do!
    18. Today, do something to make life easier for someone else. I did try to accommodate a camper.
    19. Be thankful for your food and the people who make it possible. I am.
    20. Look for the good in everyone you meet today. Sometimes that is hard but I am getting better at it. Maybe not right away but after I thought about the person’s reactions and what could cause it.
    21. Donate unused items, clothes, or food to help a local charity. I will have to think on this. Not planning on going to town today. Did not do this.
    22. Give people the gift of your full attention. I will try.
    23. Share an article, book, or podcast you find helpful. I do when I find something useful.
    24. Forgive someone who hurt you in the past. This one is hard. I will try to forgive my father.
    25. Give your time, energy, or attention to someone in need. Easy! I did that yesterday giving someone a campsite who didn’t know how to use the electronic means to reserve a site.
    26. Find a way to ‘pay it forward’ or support a good cause. I subscribed to a foundation newsletter.
    27. Notice when someone is down and try to brighten his day. (My DH’s birthday. He always gets depressed on this day. Worse this year as he turns 70 today). I’m going to try to brighten DH’s day.
    28. Have a friendly chat with someone you don’t know very well. I do this all the time with campers!
    29. Do something kind to help in your local community.
    30. Give away something to those who don’t have as much as you.
    31. Share Action for Happiness with other people today. Sharing on My Fitness Pal

RVRita in Roswell, NM

The best predictor of the future or future behavior is the past. If until this point the relationships, hobby, friendship, job, etc. has not served you in any positive regard, it likely won't in the future.
    — YALDA SAFAI, MD, MPH
    A Word From Verywell
    Sunk cost fallacy can be tricky to wrap your head around, and it’s not without nuance. For more clarity in these complex decision-making moments, completely disregard how much you’ve already invested so that it doesn’t hold influence. Then, look at the facts.

Are you satisfied? Have you repeatedly been met with dead ends? Is there still potential for a positive outcome if you continue investing your resources and energy? What are the benefits of walking away and opening a new door? These are the factors that should influence your decision rather than any previously sunk costs.

“What can words do to me unless I take them to heart?”

RVRita in Roswell, NM
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,984 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and/or evening, as the case may be,

Life in the country or... this morning's excitement:
    Trying to get my adrenaline down... got up an hour or two earlier than usual, and of course, it's full dark outside at 3:30am. I was putting together an iced coffee in the kitchen, when Egg came running through from wherever she had been asleep and was peering through her little plexiglass kitty door. It was locked, but she didn't seem to want to get out, she was just agitated. So I walked over and flipped on the light, and there were too big old raccoons wandering around our little backyard patio area. Probably three times Egg's size and Egg is not small.

They completely ignored the light coming on, and continued exploring the plants and the area, so I smacked my hand on the metal door a couple times to try to surprise 'em. They didn't even flinch. Then the one started climbing the old phone pole, ten feet from the house, where I have a suet feeder hung up on one side and started yanking on the suet cage.

I grabbed the BB gun and got it cocked, yanked open the door and popped the one on the post in the butt. Not trying to kill or even injure it, just get it to believe this place is not a good place to be... the entire time, the slightly smaller one that was about six feet from me is just kind of staring at me, interested in what I'm doing until that percussion startled it.

The bigger one bailed off the pole, and joined it, and one of them was growly/grunting, so I cocked the gun again and sent a bb in their direction, and they started moving faster. A third pop finally got them to head out.

Had Egg not alerted me to their presence, I'm not sure I would have heard them - the katydids are sounding off like someone's buzzy alarm forever going off in the distance, and we've got windows open all over the house to get the cooler night air in. Good kitty!

Pretty sure, too, that it was the big male that was up on that pole. It could have figured out that suet cage in seconds, and was pretty Arnold Schwarzeneggery, so strong enough to easily yank it down. Wonder if that's what the growly/grunt was? "I'll be back..." in raccoon?

So, thus endeth (one hopes) the excitement for today... whew!

Started off yesterday morning with a short yoga session to get things stretched out a bit, then relaxed after getting all the chores done. Added a short nap in the afternoon, and I think I finally caught up on my exhaustion levels. I woke up this morning with my brain in full design mode, with the decision made (not sure who made it :wink: ) to try making a couple of couch pillow-cover-sized miniature versions of the bookcase quilt I'll be building.

I need new pillow covers anyway, and it will give me the chance to try out a number of design elements in a small space that are new to me, such as appliqué and paper piecing. Also want to try some fabric paints and possibly some inkjet printing of old photographs, and figure out how to include them in a 3D spatial design. Easier in a small area than learning on the fly in the larger materials when I'm making the quilt. Maybe. If it gets too fiddly, I'll just go to the bigger version.

As we hit this last day of August, I'm one pound higher than I want to be on my maintenance range, at 150.8 pounds, as my range is to 145-150, but I do know that I was craving salt yesterday, so may well be up a pound or two from water. I'll keep an eye on it. Really pleased that I've stabilized in this range, and do not want to gain again.

For those who are new, keep your eye out here for the link Barbie will post later today to our new September thread, so we can start the month with a clean slate, and support each other as the year goes on. Don't forget to bookmark it!

Later y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa

Lisa- there is a good chance they will be back for the suet. Once they know there is food out there, they tend to come back. They will stand their ground for sure. Have had quite a few over the past few years- had a few litters born either under our house, or deck or the neighbor's house. The babies are cute but the bigger ones can really tear things up. They have dug up part of the lawn, dumped pots over, one tried to run off with the plastic container of cat food. The worst ones were the ones that tore a huge whole in the catio screen or tore the latch off the pass through door of the catio. Not a fan of waking up and having a coon just a couple feet from my face while I am in bed. We have covered almost all the catio now with chicken wire over the screen(only one wall isn't and it is covered in tarp but we are watching that spot). They will literally stand up to you. We think that is what tore a gash in one of the feral /neighborhood cat's neck a few months ago. Thankfully the cat is friendly enough that we were able to treat it

I really want to try quilting. My friend from Zumba makes some great ones. I have tons of fabric. Just need to get things organized and start one. I love quilts. My favorite is the one that stays on the back of my couch that was made by my great grandmother.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    ❤️

Kate UK ❤️
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Katla … so glad you’re still seeing hummingbirds. How is your husband doing?

Beth near Buffalo
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,429 Member
    Options
    For our folks in the Florida, Georgia and North Carolina, everyone staying dry and safe from Hurricane Idalia? Cindy, Carol, Michele and others? Hope everyone's OK.