WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2023

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,766 Member
    Options
    Well yup im still awake from 3 am. The heating pad did help my tummy thank goodness.. Im hungry but not hungry my tummy has been growling for a few hours.
    Maybe a cup of tea is in order..
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    B)

Betsy in NW WA
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Hello, all, and welcome to those who are new. If you've just found your way back to us, welcome again. I know we can be overwhelming, as there are so many conversations going on, but your contribution is always welcome.

Someone else called this thread a cafe, where you can sit at any table you like and join that conversation, and then pop up and join another if you like. Lots of noise and joys and support for what ails you, whatever that may be. We're all talking to each other as we make our way toward health on a daily and ongoing basis. Each month we start again with a clean slate. Glad you're here!

Kim - You are a generous soul.

Allie darlin' - You know we're not busting on you, I just know from this last few years how much easier it is to sit. When you're tired all the time and not sleeping and don't feel well, just curling up in a chair is sometimes the only time you actually feel halfway decent. These autoimmune diseases are just hard to live with. But if you get up and move just a little, and maybe a few steps more tomorrow, and again the next day, you can get your old energy back. When you sit, your body starts breaking down. I know because I watched mine deteriorate, and it's just starting to come back. Good for you for the hip and back stretches, that's exactly what I'm talking about. You can do this, Allie, we have faith in you. And a cup of tea sounds wonderful. :smiley:

Tracey - We knew that you were struggling at that job, which is why you got so much support from all of us to move out of it. I just didn't know it had gotten quite that dark before all was said and done. So pleased you found your way out, no matter what it took, and that Rodger supported you in your need to get out of there. I'm glad, too, that your classes are giving you the tools to help these kids. Knowing someone's been in your car is such a scary violation of your space! Time to get that key fob programmed, woman...

More later, my chickens...
    Love,
    Lisa in AR, where the temperatures have finally cooled to fall-type patterns, cool mornings, wonderful afternoons and evenings!
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,613 Member
    Options
    Lisa Great job on the pottery!
    Tina Thank you for sharing pictures! The mountains and water are my happy place.

Today is to remind myself that things will improve. I have lots of support to make this happen especially with you all in my pocket!

Welcomes!
    Healing thoughts!
    Much love,
    Kylia in Ohio
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,312 Member
    Options
    Aching all over. :# I know it won't last long, and I'm glad today is not expecting too much of me. I did all my exercises and got my copying and pasting done. Other than that, just listening to inspiring podcasts. :D One was about being a carer, both professional and familial, and the other was about the importance of confronting family secrets.

Homemade pizza tonight, half a thin one each. Green salad. Right now I don't feel like anything, but that will pass.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    I went with a friend to a lecture on architecture this evening. I really enjoyed it. I have had this friend 16 years and pre-covid and my husband getting ill she and I would go to events around town. I didn't see her too much during covid. Interestingly being a widow now and doing more with her she seems so self centered to me. I enjoy her energy but I notice she doesn't listen to me and she interrupts me. I wonder if she has dementia or anxiety and maybe she was like this all along and I didn't notice because I had my husband. I am not sure what to think about it.

Best,
    Rosemarie from Georgia

Rosemarie ... does she have a hearing impairment? If it's undiagnosed/untreated she may not even know she is missing what you say or interrupting. Or, she may just be as you say ... self-centered.

Beth
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,648 Member
    Options
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,914 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Looks like a trip to town today will be necessary!

RVRita

2023 Optimistic October

Word of the Year: appreciate—Today I appreciate electricians.
    Meditation: daily. 5/31 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min /23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) /8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min /20

Foods to avoid:
    Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%,100%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 7819, (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%—6458,92%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/3 (800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 215/208—(733%) should be 189 by November 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)73/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4, 172.2 (600%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 3/23 (681%,100,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 38/12
    (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 9/12—(900%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (900%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,0, 500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met——99%
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Write down three things you can look forward to this month. 1. Another month of sobriety 2. Cooler weather 3. Decorating for Halloween
    2. Find something to be optimistic about (even if it’s a difficult time). I am optimistic about cooler weather.
    3. Take a small step to a goal that really matters to you. I need to call my uncle.
    4. Start the day with the most important thing on your to-do-list. Updating this list and My Fitness Pal.
    5. Be a realistic optimist. See life as it is but focus on what’s good. I usually hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I think this counts!
    6. Remind yourself that things can change for the better. No matter how bad you think it is, it can always get worse. So enjoy life no matter where you are, or what you are doing, or your circumstances.
    7. Look for the good in people around you today.
    8. Make some progress on a project or task you’ve been avoiding.
    9. Share an important goal with someone you trust.
    10. Take time to reflect on what you have accomplished recently.
    11. Avoid blaming yourself or others. Find a helpful way forward.
    12. Look out for positive news and reasons to be cheerful today.
    13. Ask for help to overcome an obstacle you are facing.
    14. Do something constructive to improve a difficult situation
    15. Thank yourself for achieving the things you often take for granted.
    16. Put down your to-list and do something fun or uplifting.
    17. Take a small step toward a positive change you want to see in society.
    18. Set hopeful, but realistic goals for the days ahead.
    19. Identify one of your positive qualities that will be helpful in the future.
    20. Find joy in tackling a task you’ve put off for some time.
    21. Let go of the expectations of others and focus on what matters to you.
    22. Share a hopeful quote, picture, or video with a friend or colleague
    23. Recognize that you have a choice of what to prioritize.
    24. Write down three specific things that have gone well recently.
    25. You can’t do everything! What are three priorities right now?
    26. Find a new prospective on a problem you face.
    27. Be kind to yourself today. Remember progress takes time.
    28. Ask yourself ‘will this still matter a year from now?’
    29. Plan a fun or exciting activity to look forward to.
    30. Identify three things that give you hope for the future.
    31. Set a goal that brings a sense of purpose for the coming month.]/spoiler]
    RVRita , Roswell, NM

“There is no need for me to accept blame for another person’s irrational actions. I will deal with my own shortcomings.” ALANON’s One Day at a Time.
  • kevrit
    Options
    teklawa1 wrote: »
    Lanette and Rita, can I join the flying saucer party? Sounds like fun.

Betsy in NW WA

The more the merrier! 🛸🛸👽
  • kevrit
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Good evening,

Routines I have subconsciously gotten into that make my life easier. I empty the dishwasher before I pour coffee in the morning. If I don't the dishes will stay in the sink for sometimes days. Emptying is a chore I dislike. Another is laundry on Wednesdays. Doesn't always work but prevents running out of things and frees up weekends. Routines I am still working on....dealing with both paper mail and emails daily and scheduling routine things in my calendar (change cpap stuffs, pay taxes, etc)

Well.....I was doing well eating until.....cracker barrel for dinner. My friend's dh had to go out of town for his family. She doesn't like to be home alone. My dh invited her for dinner and had me order. We had a good visit. Just another example of differences between us. I look forward to nights alone at home.

Legs cramps are plaguing me right now. Currently sitting on a tennis ball. It starts in the buttocks and moves down to foot. Ouch!

All in all I am grateful for being with you ladies!
    I am thankful for what I got accomplished today.
    Realistic optimistic....I get things done in a timely manner....they get done.....(does that count)

Heather Enjoy your trip and Congratulations on finishing your book.

Much love,
    Kylia in Ohio

I got rid of my leg cramps by taking 2 magnesium capsules at night before bed. My DH needs it throughout the day b/c he has very poor circulation in his legs. He says he can’t believe how much it helped him. Wouldn’t hurt to give it a try! Buy the Chelated version or it can cause diarrhea. This versions doesn’t trigger my colitis, so I’m good with it.

Good luck!
    RVRita
  • kevrit
    Options
    Machka, you are absolutely right. I shouldn't have stopped taking them in the first place. Then when I was over thinking things, I thought I should be back on. I have been taking them for 4 days now, and will continue until I see the doctor to renew prescription. Why do I have issues about this? It was a knee jerk response. Realizing just because I have heard from son, I'm not magically cured from feeling overwhelmed. I need to not be so reactionary.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

I tried getting off mine 3 times using the recommended cut back process. All 3 times I ended up back on because of panic attacks. The second and third times I ended up in the ER thinking I was having a heart attack. First time, I had cut back to 1/2 pill every other day before the attack. The second time, I was doing what the psychologist told me. We were trying to replace it. That was an ER visit b/c it was too fast. The third was another ER visit doing what the psychologist told me. So know I am on 3 types of these pills. 2 for anxiety and depress (one is the one I’ve been on for over 20 years) the third is to help me fall asleep and keep me asleep. It is a good one as I don’t have any morning BLEH feeling.

My advice, only my opinion is combine what your therapist tells you with online research and how to are reacting to the changes. There is nothing wrong with long term medication. In my case it will be for life b/c I am diagnosed as a generalized anxiety (which includes both depression and anxiety), a brain chemical deficiency. It is medical and “not in my head”!🤪

RVRita
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Terri - the stocking is for a volunteer fire captain I think he’ll like it.
    I am debating on when to get another Covid shot. I should talk to my pharmacist.
    I love my crafting days with the girls and their friends. I am so blessed.

Heather - I don’t know how you would have done without a laptop support in bed. I can’t sit in bed for more than a few minutes without my back aching.
    When do you leave to go to France?

Barbie - I’m glad Jake had a chance to see his friend and to try out the distance for the new car.
    I agree with jumping to pills without trying other methods too. I tried for a long time to deal with my depression without them and it just kept getting worse. I think I’ll be able to wean off them in the Spring hopefully. I was ready to try now, but my doctor didn’t want me to try it in the Winter due to lack of sunlight. She said it’s harder on us than we realize.

Lisa - I used Champix to quit smoking in 2009. I have friends that have tried it and had terrible reactions. My DH really needs to quit smoking. He had a king capacity test this summer through work and they told him his lungs are 63. He is 58. He thought it was good, o thought it was bad. A matter of perspective I guess.
    I love your pottery.

Rita - I use a cortisone cream for that. Just over the counter stuff. I get it too. It’s why I go braless as often as possible.

Vicki - I hope you enjoy the water therapy.

Sue - I think I may need to look into water therapy when our pool opens again. I agree about the sticky. I don’t like it even after a bath.

Debbie - I hope insomnia leaves soon. It’s so frustrating when something our bodies need won’t come easily.

Allie - I am working on a few minutes at a time too. Eventually it will get longer and we won’t even realize how it happened. We’ll get there.

Katie - congratulations on the new car. I need to get our finances straightened out but without some cuts that DH isn’t making I don’t know how to even start.
    I’m glad you have your old cleaners back. I have found that people performing services in any manner are running behind. I think they have to take on as many clients as they can to make ends meet that they can’t give 100% to everyone. I wouldn’t want to be in their shoes.

Rosemarie - I find it hard to back away from friendships, I have managed to do it if I felt it was one sided though. You have to enjoy the friendship and be heard too.

Kylia - I always do laundry on Sunday. I have for 20 years at least. I love the idea of Wednesday evening though. I’m going to have to rethink this.

Rebecca - I’m glad you are taking them again. I understand your reaction to your son calling, but I’m sure there are still a lot of feelings to sort through.

Kim - How kind of you to offer a solution to Sue.

Could be triggering for some: Self Harm - Suicide so I’ll put in a spoiler.
    I had a tough school day today. I was taking Suicide and Self Harm Intervention I found the statistics so difficult to learn. I mean I’m not oblivious, I know the numbers are staggering, I’ve had so many people I know affected by it. I was a shocked to learn of the children though. They have a statistical number for 5-9 year olds and my heart breaks.
    Before we learned what a Suicide Risk Analysis was the instructor asked if any of us had completed one before. I responded that I hadn’t. After the lesson and a video I found that I actually had, I just never put a name to it or documented it. I have helped two friends on more than one occasion. That made me feel good and now I’m even more equipped.

We learned about things that can make people start to consider suicide and was shocked when she was reading all of my feelings for the last couple of years in my job. I actually teared up thinking about it. Rodger was shocked when I told him about it.

I had ceramics tonight, when I got in my car to leave I realized that someone had been in it. The glove compartment was open and the two passenger doors were ajar. I never leave anything in my car for this reason so they didn’t get anything. I hadn’t locked it because my fob won’t unlock it so I set off the alarm every time. I bought a new fob a couple weeks ago, I just need to program it and get the key cut.

On my way home from ceramics I saw a guy with a shopping cart coming into the park. He had a hoodie over his head. We have a homeless problem here now and it’s showing.

Another long school day tomorrow so good night all.
    Tracey in Edmonton

Yeppers. I explained to my husband that I was back on them again. He was at first confused because he said I have no stress. Men can just be so black or white huh? But I explained the anxiety is still there, with yes an excitement overtone. I'm still overthinking, and fixating.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,766 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies again
    Took a little morning nap..
    Woke up not feeling wonderful.. feeling nauseous and a bit woozy I did get over and take of Homer .
    Im supposed to go to the fair with Mary and Zina tonight but if Im feeling the way I do now its a no go.
    Im having some Moroccan mint green tea the bottled kind.
    I know I need to get up and get moving but doing it today is not an option..
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    This question is for Barbara, but feel free to chime in if you know anything about it. TLDR: i’m thinking of switching vitamin brands and need opinions.

In a spoiler since I am discussing MLMs.
    Barbara mentioned using DoTerra lozenges for a sore throat. I just wondered if you have used their Vitamins and if so, what did you think of them. I used them for a while - the Vitality Pack, the PB Assist probiotic and something called Mito-Max. I liked them, but I felt like I was taking pills all day, and they weren’t cheap. I switched to Ritual for women 50+ and then I added the Ritual Probiotic. They raised their prices and i was getting close to the DoTerra price without getting as much Omega 3 as recommended by my nutritionist. Plus she wanted me to take a couple of others things that added even more to the cost so was back up to the DoTerra cost anyway and I’m thinking the amount of pills to swallow is close as well. The only advantage to what I’m doing now is that I only have to remember to take them with breakfast. doTerra requires breakfast and lunch. My nutritionist really promotes DoTerra. I was a little skeezed out by the MLM aspect, so I passive aggressively got them last time from someone local rather than signing up under her. I mean, I am obviously not a total anti-MLM’er when I use Mary Kay makeup and Pampered Chef.
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Lisa, Michelle-Thank you. The pictures really don't do the scenery justice.
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Today I attended the funeral of a 94 year old woman from our church. Married for 72 years, her 94 year old husband was beyond heartbroken. My floodgates opened ... :'(

Beth

That would do me in too. :'(

Heather-Glad I can help with your bucket list. :smiley: Congrats on completing the book.

Machka and Tracey-We did drive up the Icefield Parkway, but stopped at Bow Lake. When we were there, a man told us we should visit Jasper. However, we just didn't have the time left in the trip by that point. I originally wanted to get all the way up to where you can take the vehicles out onto the glaciers, but we were limited to 2.5 days in the park and had to make some choices. We will go back, however, and stay in Jasper. It'll be in the summer, probably. I hate that it'll be much more crowded, but if we plan, we should be able to do what we want. We didn't plan much for this trip and we weren't able to get to Moraine Lake, which we were told was beautiful too. They no longer let personal vehicles on the road to it until after the first week of October and the buses were booked. However, there are so many beautiful lakes, I don't really feel the need to sit on a bus with a bunch of people to see that one.

I really did enjoy Calgary too. If I were to move from here (which I do hope to do someday), I would consider it. I still cannot believe how quiet it is there.

Kim-What a nice gesture to Sue.

I agree that we should have friends for different purposes. I have friends to have dinner and conversation with, but others that I go to sporting events and concerts with. I travel with some friends, but I cannot imagine traveling with others.

Lisa-You are so much better at the pottery thing than I was when I tried it. I could not get the pots larger than a mini size. Throwing the clay was so hard for me. I had to have a lot of instructor assistance.

We have a digital frame and I keep seeing pictures of me and I don't like the recent ones. I hope it will motivate me to keep up with my resistance work. I used to have nice, toned arms. Now, not so much.

Of course, I don't like the greys that won't color anymore either. Ugh. I am not one that will accept my greys. I plan to color my hair forever. Thankfully, there are products making it easier to keep it up now.

Enjoy the day!

Tina in CA where it is really stupid hot.

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,006 Member
    Options
    Night # 4 of insomnia- I went to sleep after not too long of being in bed- got a whole 7 min. of deep sleep then awake for 2 1/2 hrs- got out of bed a few times, took a warm massaging shower and two melatonin and finally got to sleep. Really wanted and needed to sleep in but dh had his alarm set or maybe just got up to use the bathroom at 7:45 then laid in bed talking to the cats then watching vidoes on his phone. Was going to try and go back to sleep when he went into the bathroom- he is in there a good half hour or more- nope, he came right back out and said the recycling was a little too close to son's car(he called in sick this morning) and if it is too close, they won't pick it up, so, got pants on and moved it. While out there, of course the stray cats wanted food, then the inside cats all wanted to eat- no going back to sleep after that.

Going to be hot again today 93 with 32% humidity(we don't usually get much of that). I will walk a short path around the wetlands while waiting for Ezie - will remember to take both the cooling towel and a bottle of ice water(not really to drink but to pour on the towel when it starts to warm up. ) and have a water bottle in the car for when I am done. I don't drink while walking- there are no bathrooms, just bushes around the whole wetlands.

Walking with my friend tonight beings the Sip and Paint we were going to go to was sold out before she signed us up. Should be cool and perfect breeze by 6:30 to walk an hour.
    Hopefully I will sleep better tonight.
    I want more than a total of 11 min. of deep sleep tonight. (had 7 min one time and 4 the other)

Baking tomorrow for potluck at church. Round up Sunday- Western theme- Need to figure out what I will wear. I was hoping to wear the Gunne Sax dress I made and then later altered but not going to happen. It will go back in my closet.

Debbie
    Napa Valley, CA