Replies

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,029 Member
    Options
    Ah, Allie, I'm so glad you got the walking in - and hang in there tomorrow, because your body is probably going to hurt from that much! I'm sorry Carmine was awful. Growing out of these behaviors will happen over time, but it doesn't mean it's easy now...

Machka - Kinda disagree on the family secrets thing. One of the best things I've done was about 20-odd years ago, I sent letters and or emails to the whole set of my siblings with all the family secrets that people had told me about each other, truths all the way around. It was one of the best thing I've done with my family. Took a massive weight off of me, and didn't seem to matter to them. The only person who got upset was one brother, because I wrote that I'd rather put an ice pick through my ear than ever be in a room with his wife again. Believe me when I say some of the other secrets would curl your hair... but that was what upset him. People are weird. But two big things came out of it - I've never been entrusted with any of their secrets about each other again. And I've never been trapped in a room with that sister-in-law again, either. Both make me happy.

Hope your Friday was good, and your weekend is even better.
    Love from AR,
    Lisa

If it works for you. 😀

I just figure there's nothing that important or significant in the past. These days we know that all sorts of stuff happened back when in all our histories. Heh ... watch Midsommer Murders for a list of it all. :lol:

But it made up who we are today and that's what we need to work with and go forward with.

As for current family, I don't spend enough time with them to give most of them more than a passing thought now and then. I am closer to the people at work I see in the kitchen once in a while but couldn't tell you their names or what they did.

M in Oz

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,294 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Woke up feeling so much better this morning that I decided to design a business card!!! It took me around 30 minutes. Then I sent it off to be printed. I often get chatting with people about what I do and what I've written, and it's frustrating not to have something simple to give them as a reminder.
    The one I made is very basic and I forgot to put my Instagram account on there, but I'm sure they can find me. I expect it will arrive while we are away, but my son can collect it from behind the bins, where they usually leave parcels.
    Just 50, to see how I get on with them. I might never get an opportunity to use them, but it wasn't expensive.
    I'm on the lookout for opportunities to give talks and interviews, so this could jog someone's mind. Or they might just throw it in the bin! :p 😜

Edie today!!! Hooray!

Go Lisa! :p<3:p I have no doubt secrets make you sick.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    Aw look, he found the paper I needed...... :#
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Today’s gratitude: able to dance two hours with almost no breaks. Joe’s giddily happy with the Jeep.
    Beth you look amazingly happy considering all the work and those neighbors. SMH.
    Carol ((hugs)) “…just chalk it up…” SMH. Could it be time for a second opinion?
    Rita another thing that helped is “wearing” a handkerchief sized piece of cotton or terrycloth fabric under the breast in the affected area for awhile to absorb moisture. Oh and my dermatologist recommends a light film of Vaseline on any wounds/broken skin. ((hugs))
    Rebecca “…he said I have no stress…” ROTFLMAOWMP! Men! SMH.
    Kay
    sorry no experience with the doTerra supplements, just the essential oils. I remember when you gave yourself permission not to support all your friends’ MLMs and it was liberating for me. And yes I still have some Mary Kay in the bathroom (I should really throw it out) and used my Pampered Chef 2 qt batter bowl yesterday ;) I really should calculate the cost of all the stuff I take, psyllium fiber, niacinimide as skin cancer preventative, calcium/magnesiuim & D3/K2 for osteoporosis, probiotics, Bluebonnet organic whole food ladies’ multivitamins, turmeric gummies, red wine extract/quercetin bromelian, No wonder I get heartburn!
    Tina “I travel with some friends, but I cannot imagine traveling with others.” How wise. Lost a longtime friend through traveling together. I made sauerbraten for the first time in decades last week and enjoyed it very much. Joe doesn’t like it so there are 5 more portions in the freezer for me this fall. ;)
    Debbie can you sleep at your mom’s? Really worried about four days of insomnia. ((hugs))
    Lisa loved the GIFs, gentle ((hugs)) for the pain and thankful for your smart sister. ;) Your Cajun sweet potato frites sound delish!
    Lanette aw shucks. ;) “the lady said well you can explain yourself if you get caught.“ Good gravy indeed! Not sure I agree with Lisa’s find about the “quiet sweetness” of these birds. To be honest they scare me a little, like small, feathered, ruthless, dinosaurs. Think it’s the beady eyes and cruel beak.
    @vibrantreader yours to Barbie about her anxiety drug/antidepressant meme.
    Allie sweet pic of Miles. From the chair to 4-1/2 hrs walking at the fair? No wonder you’re sore!
    Machka not sure I agree either. Some “family secrets” are so toxic the only way to purge them/heal/move on is to get them out into the open, with the support of a trustworthy professional. Yours to Debbie. I’m appalled by her DH’s inconsideration.
    Tracey how stressful to be looking for a doctor. Please keep trying and never give up. At worst are there any telehealth options? Continuity of care will be crucial. Good on Rodger! Hope the hand issue is minor, easily repaired and you can rest today.
    Kylia ((hugs)) what a lot of worries! Wise choice not to mention the HELC to DH while he was in a mood. Trying not to let others’ moods affect us is hard hard work! “. . .to find the good in people.....does that include family?” LOL! But look, he found the paper you need. There’s the reward ;)
    @myvt9v4crh Katla like Kylia hope you’ve made it over to the October thread. Miss you.
    Time to snooze or I’ll try to wimp out from dog group today.
    10/06: Move: 2 sets PT w/x&a, line dancing. Steps:8465
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=16 CI<CO net=529 vits=1
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AD, AF, ptT, ptS, many more bean salad, Post Office, recycling, groom Tumble. Wt: 132.3 note to self, no more TJ’s dark chocolate turbinado sea salt almonds after midnight.:naughty:

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    October: Move more: chair yoga, line dance, dailyish PT, play with dogs.
    Fuel better: less sugar, dailyish vitamins.
    Live NOW: dailyish time with Joe, readings. Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2023: Be of good cheer.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,384 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Quote from Machka- I look at ALL FB ads as scams. A lot of them do come from overseas ... the USA. And I won't buy anything from a random business there!!!

Re FB Ads:
    As I mentioned, I've purchased from FB ads before and this was the first time I encountered one that was likely a scam. One that just popped up in my FB feed this morning was for LLBean, a well-known and respected clothing company here in the US who I've purchased from many times and definitely not a scam. And next is an ad for Cheerios. And the next one for "The Lost Book of Herbal Remedies", which I purchased earlier this year and received and was pleased with it. I haven't taken the time but we can go in to FB and select the type of ads we'd like to see.

Sounds like FB ads are different in your country. From what I know, FB makes its money from advertising and I don't think packing the feed with fakes and scams is the intent because they'll lose viewership that way. I'm not defending them. I know my state retirement is invested in funds that include FB and I hope they keep their act together with legit ads and continue to be successful.

Carol - I hope I get the letter back too. I should have mailed myself one at the same time with a stamp I purchased at the post office since they'd likely take the same route. I was surprised at how inadequate the USPS is in helping customers identify and deal with fake stamps. They must get their training at my local Home Depot. :p (Just kidding - my HD seems to have gotten better in the past year.)

Tracey - oh my word, hope the docs have figured out what happened to your hand. Teensy spider bite maybe? I agree, how nice someone treated everyone to pizza. An entrepreneur could set up a vending cart in our hospital's parking lot and do a booming business too.

Kylia - you have a lot going on in your household. Sending big hugs! <3

Annie - I agree, stay home and rest. Cleaning out the basement would be overwhelming for me if I was in your shoes right now too. It's one thing to decide what to pitch. Then there's the physical labor involved in hauling it to the dump or Goodwill (or thrift store), sorting through everything. When it comes to cleaning this stuff out - and I still have quite a collection I need to address some day as well - I wonder if there's a charity like our Karen used near you that came and got everything and did all the muscle work. Sounds like your mom's "light" is really starting to dim with her not eating, and I wonder if she'll ever be able to come home. Is your dad prepared for her passing or does he have hopes she'll get better?

Barbara - I too have a lot of supplements - I take a lot of what YOU take :) - and I finally broke down my budget to get a clearer view of the expense. I still feel that most of them, if not all of them, are worth the money and are protecting my health which is, knock wood, pretty good right now. I buy them from various sources and try to get the best deal. It used to be Amazon but prices on so many things are skyrocketing there. :( As everywhere.

I did finish staining the deck yesterday... had maybe half a cup of stain left for touch-ups and I was sweating it toward the end, even though I had another gallon I didn't want to open it for just a little bit. When the sun comes up I'll take a photo. The wood was thirsty and it could use another coat but the weather isn't going to cooperate. As Chimney Roger said, even one coat will help right now. I was happy the wood was still in as good of shape as it was considering it hadn't been stained in 6 years since it was built. Very, very grateful.

I need to close for now and get ready for my cleaner who is coming in a couple hours.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :) The last time I saw a post from Katla was on an old thread from October of another year. I posted the link to this thread but I guess she didn't see it. I don't know what to do next. I remember that someone had a way to call her when she was having trouble before but I don't remember who that was.
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) The last time I saw a post from Katla was on an old thread from October of another year. I posted the link to this thread but I guess she didn't see it. I don't know what to do next. I remember that someone had a way to call her when she was having trouble before but I don't remember who that was.

Pretty sure that was Pip who helped her get back to us.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,294 Member
    Options
    Barbie - It was Pip.

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,620 Member
    Options
    Barbie - It was Pip.

Heather UK xxxxxxxx

What did I do
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,620 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »

Yeah, that was me, I had called her
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    Pip We were mentioning that she hasn't posted since early/mid September. Could you possibly reach out to her?

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    This question is for Barbara, but feel free to chime in if you know anything about it. TLDR: i’m thinking of switching vitamin brands and need opinions.

In a spoiler since I am discussing MLMs.
    Barbara mentioned using DoTerra lozenges for a sore throat. I just wondered if you have used their Vitamins and if so, what did you think of them. I used them for a while - the Vitality Pack, the PB Assist probiotic and something called Mito-Max. I liked them, but I felt like I was taking pills all day, and they weren’t cheap. I switched to Ritual for women 50+ and then I added the Ritual Probiotic. They raised their prices and i was getting close to the DoTerra price without getting as much Omega 3 as recommended by my nutritionist. Plus she wanted me to take a couple of others things that added even more to the cost so was back up to the DoTerra cost anyway and I’m thinking the amount of pills to swallow is close as well. The only advantage to what I’m doing now is that I only have to remember to take them with breakfast. doTerra requires breakfast and lunch. My nutritionist really promotes DoTerra. I was a little skeezed out by the MLM aspect, so I passive aggressively got them last time from someone local rather than signing up under her. I mean, I am obviously not a total anti-MLM’er when I use Mary Kay makeup and Pampered Chef.

My two cents on this…. This type of vitamin is not any better than others. Read the article here I know this is not DuTerra but it is in the same level. I’ve looked into this type of thing before and find it really isn’t worth the money for me. Please do more research before purchasing. BUT if you want you vitamins all together in one packet, this may work for you. Just be sure they are FDA approved and have been review by another company to make sure it is worth it.

Now the oils, that is a different animal. The oils are FDA approved for anything and are not monitored for purity. All of these essential oil companies are the same IMO. I’ve tried Young Life (who also have the vitamins) and Simply Earth (also have vitamins) I liked them both as their oils’ scent lasted for a longer time than the ‘cheap’ ones from Walmart.

So all I can recommend is you read and compare labels, also look for reviews and FDA information on any health vitamin or oil you plan to purchase.

I use essential oils, but according Simply Earth they are not useful after a year. Well I swear by Tea Tree oil for skin rashes (I am using it now and have in the part) and boils. But you all have to do what you feel is right for you! I’ve never tried or even heard of DuTerra before today, so more research is needed.k

RVRita
  • kevrit
    Options
    2023 Optimistic October

Word of the Year: appreciate—Today I appreciate the availability of healthy food.
    Meditation: daily. 5/31 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min /23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) /8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min /20

Foods to avoid:
    Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%,100%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 7819, (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%—6458,92%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/3 (800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 215/208—(733%) should be 189 by November 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)73/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4, 172.2 (600%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 3/23 (681%,100,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 38/12
    (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 9/12—(900%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (900%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,0, 500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met——99%
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

Write down three things you can look forward to this month. 1. Another month of sobriety 2. Cooler weather 3. Decorating for Halloween
    2. Find something to be optimistic about (even if it’s a difficult time). I am optimistic about cooler weather.
    3. Take a small step to a goal that really matters to you. I need to call my uncle.
    4. Start the day with the most important thing on your to-do-list. Updating this list and My Fitness Pal.
    5. Be a realistic optimist. See life as it is but focus on what’s good. I usually hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I think this counts!
    6. Remind yourself that things can change for the better. No matter how bad you think it is, it can always get worse. So enjoy life no matter where you are, or what you are doing, or your circumstances.
    7. Look for the good in people around you today. I can do this if I try.
    8. Make some progress on a project or task you’ve been avoiding.
    9. Share an important goal with someone you trust.
    10. Take time to reflect on what you have accomplished recently.
    11. Avoid blaming yourself or others. Find a helpful way forward.
    12. Look out for positive news and reasons to be cheerful today.
    13. Ask for help to overcome an obstacle you are facing.
    14. Do something constructive to improve a difficult situation
    15. Thank yourself for achieving the things you often take for granted.
    16. Put down your to-list and do something fun or uplifting.
    17. Take a small step toward a positive change you want to see in society.
    18. Set hopeful, but realistic goals for the days ahead.
    19. Identify one of your positive qualities that will be helpful in the future.
    20. Find joy in tackling a task you’ve put off for some time.
    21. Let go of the expectations of others and focus on what matters to you.
    22. Share a hopeful quote, picture, or video with a friend or colleague
    23. Recognize that you have a choice of what to prioritize.
    24. Write down three specific things that have gone well recently.
    25. You can’t do everything! What are three priorities right now?
    26. Find a new prospective on a problem you face.
    27. Be kind to yourself today. Remember progress takes time.
    28. Ask yourself ‘will this still matter a year from now?’
    29. Plan a fun or exciting activity to look forward to.
    30. Identify three things that give you hope for the future.
    31. Set a goal that brings a sense of purpose for the coming month.]/spoiler]
    RVRita , Roswell, NM

“There is no need for me to accept blame for another person’s irrational actions. I will deal with my own shortcomings.” ALANON’s One Day at a Time.
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,455 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Good morning from chilly Arkansas... Got down to 34 F (1.1 C) in our little corner of the Arkansas River Valley last night! It's a one-off, though, we'll be back up in the early fall temperatures rest of the week, very pleasant. Had to actually turn the heater on this morning... got that quick smell of burning dust in the system that is always the first sign of truly cold weather to me. It passed quickly, and got the house up to 68 degrees which is long-sleeve and a cardigan temp for me, but bearable.

Tracey - Let us know what's up with your hand! Hope it's very minor. What a lovely thing the man did by getting pizza in for y'all. People can be kind.

Annie - Definitely not the time to bail into the mental exhaustion of dealing with cleaning out the basement. You do enough already, dear heart. Hope you got your day all on your own while your sis took your dad to the funeral. Sounds like something you really need right now... Just a day to recuperate and get back in your own groove.

Debbie - I'm with Machka and Barbara AHMOD on the bedroom noise. Sleep is too important to our general well-being, especially when you're already struggling with insomnia.

Beth - Neighbors are just a weird concept overall. We try to be good neighbors, but seldom seem to find folks that do the same. It's kind of like siblings. You didn't choose them, but you're stuck with them anyway. Hope the seeding and siding projects go well!

OK - Time to go accomplish something.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa

• kevrit
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Sorry about the size! My iPad is not letting me size them! Bird was yelling at me yesterday during my walk. The rest are some things I see at the park.
    s5xcgpwicnl3.jpeg

payh91kb9ffj.jpeg

j4t6bo2xrts6.jpeg
    76e5uo6m1ai5.jpeg

Roswell!