WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2023

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,395 Member
    Options
    Heather - I found Dr. Chatterjee's interview with Helen Hall on YouTube this morning, I'm anxious to watch it. Now, I need you, your DH, Bea and Edie to come out here and paint some gorgeous murals on the side of the deck. :) When did you say you leave for France? Good thinking on the continental plug converter, always good to have devices charged up as quickly as possible.

Re the deck aches and pains-
    My right shoulder was a bit achey last night. The whole project took 2 1/2 gallons of stain, and they all had to be "shaken". Hard and for several minutes each. Everything was brushwork except the flat parts of the deck proper and stairs, where I used a roller and applied a lot of pressure to push the liquid into the wood. The actual color is more of a reddish/honey hue. It gets terribly icy in the winter so the next step is to staple little mats down for secure footing. As I walked away from the finished job and started gathering the empty cans/rollers/brushes, I could hear my DH, connoisseur of colorful language, saying " All right! You got the B (and I don't mean Brat :D) done!" :p (That would have livened the conversation yesterday!) >:)

Lisa - I'm envious of the projects you and Corey are always doing at your house. The planning, the execution, the conversation as it all evolves. I guess that's why I enjoy working on the chicken house/run on a much smaller scale of course. What do I need to do, what can I do to make it happen.

And thinking about this in exercise and movement terms:
    This is what our bodies are designed for. Lifting and moving things. Carrying heavy items. Stretching to reach high shelves and squatting to retrieve things off low shelves. Hammering nails. Getting on our hands and knees from time to time. Sweeping and scrubbing. Sawing and chopping wood. Raking leaves. Dragging limbs. Painting decks. Pushing mowers. All the things our ancestors did before we had modern appliances and computers and TV's that keep us sitting and stationary so much.

As our Barbie often says, I need to remind myself to choose every opportunity to stay active-as active as I can without hurting myself. I know I sleep better when I'm tired from working on a project.

Betsy - hoping the steriods have helped your sis. I haven't heard any bad pass reports yet - though I know you are an old hand at navigating snowy and icy roads. It's those that aren't that make me nervous, lol. Safe travels to Eastern WA. DH and I used to own some acreage east of Tonasket with eventual plans of moving there before his diagnosis of RA that changed things. Beautiful, rugged country. Good neighbors there too.

Debbie - how did you sleep?

On the menu today - chicken thighs in the crockpot with some kind of seasoning, maybe a sprinkle of curry, with sweet potato and white potato chunked up that I never got around to cooking and mashing together. I want to throw together a Greek bean salad for lunch.

This is our last day of sunshine for a few days, so need to keep working on outside tasks.

Make it a fabulous day! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,613 Member
    Options
    Annie So many hard decisions to make. Remember to care for yourself above all. Your parents need you.

Betsy Good thoughts for your sister and safe travels.

Lanette True statement about movement and modern conveniences. I bet your DH is saying just what you said.

Ginny I hope you are feeling better today.

<3
    Kylia who didn't get far from tablet
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Hi,
    First off I am thankful and proud of the support and protection you all provided in different ways. Just like books, tv programs, or foods, we are all different. The thing is we have choices. If this community isn't right for you, then just move on. I was much more eloquent last night. I think all of your points were valid and well said. Somewhere in society we have forgotten when to quietly slip out the door and when to make a statement. High fives ladies!

:) Very well said. :)

<3 Barbie

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Good Sunday morning, y'all, from the chilly but still green Arkansas River Valley,

Betsy - I do hope the tests for your sister show positive results. I know you'll enjoy your time together on the drive.

Kylia - You're a stronger woman than I am - I really don't like being cold anymore... hurts the joints too much! Sounds like you and your DH had fun, though. Car shows really do seem like the last gasp of summer.
    Lisa - I'm envious of the projects you and Corey are always doing at your house. The planning, the execution, the conversation as it all evolves. I guess that's why I enjoy working on the chicken house/run on a much smaller scale of course. What do I need to do, what can I do to make it happen.

Lanette - Thank you for that. It reminds me that I'm lucky to have him, even when I get frustrated with him. I had to get him to stop and hear me a couple of times, but after the dust settled, it all worked out, and we were both reasonably happy with yesterday's outcome. When he says "can I make a suggestion?" I either have to learn to say "No!" or accept the following suggestion with better grace. I had to walk myself around the corner and give myself a good talking to, but we survived it... :smiley: If we were perfect, we'd be annoying. :blush:

Heather -
    In all the flapdoodle yesterday, I never commented on the pieces that you, Edie, and Johnnie created--I liked them all!

Rebecca - Loved your sister's card, it was absolutely beautiful, and Eli is growing by leaps and bounds... beautiful boy.

Allie - Hope you felt the love in the air yesterday... and hope you got some sleep last night! :smile:

Love y'all!
    Lisa

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,648 Member
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,766 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Slept hard last night,Alfie woke me early fed him and went back to sleep for a bit..
    I dont think I told you but both times I went to the fair I brought my cane,the fairgrounds were mushy and uneven and I didn't want to either faceplant or go the other way..only thing was when I sat its super super hard for me to stand up without help,I can do it but its tough.
    I go see the sleep apnea dr this Tuesday and the kidney dr Wednesday ..im going to try and get out today and get Alfie for a walk ,but after 2 afternoons of fair im in alot of pain and tylenol isn't cutting it .. ugh
    Lisa- yes I could feel the ❤️
    Tracy is still nursing and Miles is almost 2 if any of you have any weaning ideas let me know.. she nurses him before bed but not in his bed and then puts him in his bed and reads him a couple of books,she texted me this morning said that he fell asleep before she finished the 2nd book and slept from 7 pm-4:30 am straight ..usually he wakes up and she has to go sleep with him
    So she is going to try and put him to bed a bit later..
    Today I'll get laundry folded and put away
    Hope everyone is enjoying there weekend.
    Well I guess I was busy this weekend huh? Lol
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,395 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Fake Stamp Update

I forgot to get the mail yesterday so went to the box this morning. Guess what I found. The 2 envelopes I mailed to myself on Thursday with the "fake stamps". They went through the postal system just fine, stamps cancelled at the regional center in Tacoma. No return to sender, no knock on the door (yet) from the FBI or anything. :)

I have mixed feelings. I'm glad I apparently didn't waste my money. But I'm also concerned about why I got the "scam" alert. And why the comments from some folks who said they were fake and there's no way anyone would sell these stamps at a big discount. Did the folks who said they were fake ever try to use them? Or were they just repeating what they heard someone else say?

Did Facebook actually vet this advertiser and decide it was legit because it really was? So them accepting the ad was OK?
    If the stamps were counterfeit, was the counterfeiter really that good?
    Was the equipment at the regional center in Tacoma malfunctioning so these slipped through?
    Does the USPS make enough money from delivering bulk mail and Amazon packages that they aren't really concerned about a few counterfeit stamps people use since most businesses use postage machines anyhow?

I'm going to repeat the test with different sized envelopes this time. I'm still not 100% confident that if I used one to send payment for a bill, for example, that it would get delivered without more proof.

Lanette B)
    Eating crow, happy but scratching her head in SW WA State
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,914 Member
    Options
    2023 Optimistic October

Word of the Year: appreciate—Today I appreciate people who communicate and make sure people know what they need to know. No paid employees communicate. We as hosts get surprises often that we were not prepared for. Yesterday was a case in point. The American Geological Society cans with over 100 people we had no idea about. The employees didn’t even communicate between themselves!
    Meditation: daily. 5/31 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min /23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) /8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min /20

Foods to avoid:
    Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%,100%). 156 days SOBER!
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 7819, (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%—6458,92%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/3 (800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 215/208—(733%) should be 189 by November 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)73/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4, 172.2 (600%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 3/23 (681%,100,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 38/12
    (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 9/12—(900%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (900%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,0, 500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met——99%
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

Write down three things you can look forward to this month. 1. Another month of sobriety 2. Cooler weather 3. Decorating for Halloween
    2. Find something to be optimistic about (even if it’s a difficult time). I am optimistic about cooler weather.
    3. Take a small step to a goal that really matters to you. I need to call my uncle.
    4. Start the day with the most important thing on your to-do-list. Updating this list and My Fitness Pal.
    5. Be a realistic optimist. See life as it is but focus on what’s good. I usually hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I think this counts!
    6. Remind yourself that things can change for the better. No matter how bad you think it is, it can always get worse. So enjoy life no matter where you are, or what you are doing, or your circumstances.
    7. Look for the good in people around you today. I can do this if I try. This was not difficult to do with visitors. Employees were a different matter!
    8. Make some progress on a project or task you’ve been avoiding. I need to clean the cabinets out. I am planning to start today.
    9. Share an important goal with someone you trust.
    10. Take time to reflect on what you have accomplished recently.
    11. Avoid blaming yourself or others. Find a helpful way forward.
    12. Look out for positive news and reasons to be cheerful today.
    13. Ask for help to overcome an obstacle you are facing.
    14. Do something constructive to improve a difficult situation
    15. Thank yourself for achieving the things you often take for granted.
    16. Put down your to-list and do something fun or uplifting.
    17. Take a small step toward a positive change you want to see in society.
    18. Set hopeful, but realistic goals for the days ahead.
    19. Identify one of your positive qualities that will be helpful in the future.
    20. Find joy in tackling a task you’ve put off for some time.
    21. Let go of the expectations of others and focus on what matters to you.
    22. Share a hopeful quote, picture, or video with a friend or colleague
    23. Recognize that you have a choice of what to prioritize.
    24. Write down three specific things that have gone well recently.
    25. You can’t do everything! What are three priorities right now?
    26. Find a new prospective on a problem you face.
    27. Be kind to yourself today. Remember progress takes time.
    28. Ask yourself ‘will this still matter a year from now?’
    29. Plan a fun or exciting activity to look forward to.
    30. Identify three things that give you hope for the future.
    31. Set a goal that brings a sense of purpose for the coming month.

RVRita , Roswell, NM

“There is no need for me to accept blame for another person’s irrational actions. I will deal with my own shortcomings.” ALANON’s One Day at a Time.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,914 Member
    Options
    Well ladies getting my walking in and then some 3 1/2 hrs of walking.I can barely move ,but got some exercise.
    Saw Seth and Carmine Seth came and gave me a big hug Carmine saw me and promptly turned and walked away.. such a little B.

Using profanity.. in reference to one’s granddaughter. Our society has become so desensitized to it, it has been excepted as ok , even normal. As it is here, on this group and defended by other’s here. No Thank you.. I won’t be a part.

I appreciate the explanations and excuses of why the profanity of this young girl is ok here. But it is not ok.

I thought this group wasn’t for you? So why do you continue to criticize? We all are accepting and kind people. This is a safe place to vent. If you really don’t like how we support each other, say nothing and just leave rather than angering everyone with your pretend morals.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,648 Member
    Options