WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2023

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,384 Member
    Options
    Ladies - a reminder that anyone who wants their info included in the "weekly check-in" please send it to me today or no later than tomorrow morning.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,294 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Rebecca - What lovely paintings your sister has done. <3 Real care and attention.

I've been listening and watching videos and podcasts about walking and running. I will put all I've learned into effect. I realise I have a problem with my very knock knees and my patella that does not run smoothly. I do daily exercises to help with this. I was born with feet that did not bend and had regular visits to the big hospital in London. Luckily, the top half of me is fine! :p

We have been doing a bit of research on our first stop. Lyon. I've got a picture of the lie of the land and a few top places to visit. Our hotel is in a quiet spot, but a walk across the rivers from the main action. I hope my legs will hold up. There is a metro. The hotel can tell us about buses. I will take a taxi if I can't manage and DH can go off on his own.
    Lyon is famous for its traditional local restaurants, with hearty fare! The old town is hilly, with a funicular!
    Weather good for the first two days, then some rain, but not cold. I will definitely take an umbrella.

My son is coming tomorrow to pick up the boxes he deposited with us before they started renovations. There are quite a few! I guess most of it will be chucked out. :D I know they have missed one or two things.

Will have a read through of my book tomorrow.
    I'm going to save the tax return for when we get back from France, but then I have to get a move on. I haven't got the headspace to do it now.

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,455 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    We've been food shopping in the freezer and the garden again. I made focaccia bread wayyyy back in July, and froze the majority of it, and Corey has tomatoes that need cooking, plus there was an attempt at lasagna made from frozen ravioli, and a full dinner's worth was put in the freezer at the time. I HAVE to remember to date these things... I think it's a month or two old. :smile: )

Anyway, going to harvest the sauce and the beef and the cheese from the lasagna, because the ravioli masquerading as lasagna noodles was kind of a bust anyway. Corey's going to add those to the tomatoes, which are cooking down now, and then we'll put together something resembling personal pizzas with the focaccia bread. Hopefully, creativity will be its own reward in this case. I've said before that, if you like all the ingredients, you'll probably like the end result. Fingers crossed!

Later, my chickens,
    Love from Arkansas,
    Lisa
  • CarolGaGal
    CarolGaGal Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the photo size as I don't know how to resize here.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,755 Member
    Options
    52bykmrbagxd.jpg
    hl44inzl6mu4.jpg
    Another few amazing photos.. put summer clothes away and am trying to get the fall and winter stuff together..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,620 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Housecleaning etc- 4hrs, vacuum, dust, change bedsheets/duvet cover, laundry fold/put away, clean/refill front patio fountain, sweep front entryway and front patio, water plants, trim hedges, water off back patio= 1062c
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,226 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,384 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Margaret - once again, very nice post. You explain things so well. You and my grandmother would have been good friends. <3

Vibrantreader - do you have any health/exercise/nutrition/weight loss tips or questions for the group? Not sure if you've been on here long enough to notice - many of us have either regained or are working on our health journey using various strategies. This group is great at that kind of support.

Kelly - sorry to hear about your sis and the cancer diagnosis.

Regarding supplements - If I could only take three supplements, they would be: 10,000 IU of Vit D3, 100 mcg of Vit K as MK7, and a high absorption Magnesium. All taken together, daily. So much has come out in the past few years about the benefits of having D3 levels above 60 ng/ml. Mine's at 67 and I intend to keep it there. Higher levels of D3 keep our immune system strong - so anti virus properties; good for bone health and work as a cancer preventative. My system needs support in all those areas. ;)

Carol - wow your grands have grown fast, I remember when they were littles. Happy Birthday to your son. I've never eaten grits. But when I was a kid, my mom often cooked up a pot of cornmeal mush, poured it into a loaf pan, cooled it then turned it onto a platter, sliced it thinly and fried the slices. We'd eat it with butter and syrup. Burp. Loved it.

Lisa - maybe your grandson winging his way back to Texas will stay with Kels longer next time. ;)

Time to do dishes then rake leaves. But first I need to run out and see if Fairy just laid an egg! She's singing her song LOUDLY and I can hear it here in the house. :p

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

UPDATE - yep, nice chocolate brown egg. :D

Another UPDATE - Beth - interesting your higher Vit D level might be causing your knee pain. A good reminder that we are all individuals here and react to supplements in different ways, and to check with our medical folks. My doctor gave me the go-ahead to keep my levels high for the reasons I mentioned above.

Also Beth - what a nice surprise your apple tree gave you!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,620 Member
    Options
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) Jake is quite forthcoming about the fact that he doesn't care for unsolicited advice and yet he is a champion at doling it out, usually prefacing it with "You might want to...." LOL. We've been married for over 30 years and it still surprises me. He loves to tell people especially his friends and loved ones to "be safe" or "lock your doors" and can't understand why his daughter is regularly offended by those statements, taking them to mean that she wouldn't do those things without a reminder from him.
    <3 Barbie

My dh is always giving unsolicited advice or "knowledge". Always thinks he knows everything and he is always right, tries to "prove" he is right, even when I know he isn't.
    Last night I was talking to my friend about the Soda Stream CO2canisters- he was telling me how much he paid. Dh said friend was wrong, that he had checked at Target and the price was a lot higher. Even when I showed dh a screenshot of his order with prices, he still said he could prove that wasn't right-asked me if I wanted him to prove it- Told him no thanks and walked away.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    [

Yes she does sell them at a arts and craft fair that's coming up. Its down in the Salem Oregon area. She is excited and hopes to paint about 30 items to sell. I like that her paints are so sweet. Simple.🤗💖
    u62bjtz0jg4b.jpeg
    qnto1r7hbds3.pngr7w94riwh55t.png
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

Rebecca- those are amazing- so cute!!! Would buy them if she was at the craft fair here.

We are getting ready for a show the end of November- Not crafty like that though- letting the 3D printers do most of the work. Doing Fan Expo in SF. I sure hope it turns out. First time dh is really going to sell instead of just having a few items to sell at his friends both with his friend paying for the booth. This one they are splitting-it is a 3 day show but someone else is doing the Sunday part- He wants me to help on Saturday. He and his friend can do Friday I think. We will have to sell over $700 to just break even for our share of the booth. We have 5 of the six printers going pretty much non stop in the week since he found out he was doing it.
    Lots of different sizes and styles of dragons and a few serpents-One is 27" long. Doing some cats and sharks and cobras now. He wanted 50 dragons done before the show and we are half way there. Hoping we can do some other things for a bit, want a better selection. They are all different colors because of the tri-color or multi color filament.