WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2023

Options

Replies

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Allie - Those tastes and smells and even the sound of cooking from our childhoods never leave us, do they. Sounds like a wonderful memory.

Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian friends...

Lisa in AR,
    Heading out for town...
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,539 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Today’s gratitude: hair conditioner that really detangles, maybe I should try it on Tumble? Abundant, clean, hot water.
    Katla (@myvt9v4crh, @Katla49) Thanks for taking my call. It was so very good to hear your voice. Sorry to hear that family health problems have kept you so busy. We all look forward to seeing you back on mfp soon. :heart: ((hugs)) :heart:
    Betsy praying for favorable test results and safe travels.
    KJ always happy to see you popping in. Prayers for your sister and family.
    Rebecca that has to be the cutest toddler snail costume ever!
    Kim my Kentucky born husband has taught me that “grits is good” but I never warmed to the fried leftovers. :sick:
    Lanette your mama’s fried cornmeal mush ALMOST sounds appealing. ;)
    Lisa, Barbie, Debbie, alas, I recognize myself in your husbands’ offerings of unsolicited advice. Strengthens my resolve to not miss more opportunities to keep my mouth shut ;}
    10/8: Move: ZERO sets PT , dogs to powerline, Jeopardy walking. Steps:8241
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=3 CI<CO net=345 vits=1
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AF, ptT, ptS, church, fellowship, called Katla. Wt:132.7

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    October: Move more: chair yoga, line dance, dailyish PT, play with dogs.
    Fuel better: less sugar, dailyish vitamins.
    Live NOW: dailyish time with Joe, readings. Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2023: Be of good cheer.

I thought so! Just rolled up cardboard padding. I love costumes that the kids look absolutely comfortable in. Funny story. When the boys were probably 4, 8 and 13 yrs old, they all decided to wear "Black Ops" tactical gear, with camouflage face paint. We were living on a street, one house after another in Vallejo CA. So with each house one would crouch down giving the hand signals to the other to approach the house. You know, pointing to a brother, pointing to the door, and the fingers making walking motions. I was at the sidewalk laughing, and they would give me the zip it motion. When the door would open they would be normal, because it was candy. The homeowners would ask where was their bucket was and they'd happily each point to their backpack. It was a fun time!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Rebecca, just saw there was a 4.5 quake near Oak Harbor. All ok?
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif

Yep all ok. Lee felt the swaying, but I did not notice it on the main floor here. All's well.😁👍🏼
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving to all the Canadians on here!💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Thanks all for the compliments on my sisters paintings. The fact that she's painting, joining art shows, and getting out socially is testament to her healing from her abrupt husband's passing last year. Its a year of firsts for her, and each thing brings her to tears, but she marches on. If she didn't have the farmhouse and all the work it takes to keep a 1875 home in good standing, her cat Hansel and dog Tucker, and her art, she would be having a worse time of it.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,034 Member
    Options
    Talking about polenta and grits.. my dad didn't cook alot but 2 things he did make were corn oysters at least thats we called them and fried corn meal mush
    And we loved it..
    Both very simple to make
    Creamed corn ,an egg and a couple tablespoons of flour whip together and drop tablespoon size dollops into a hot oiled cast iron pan then flip after a minute or so and then serve with butter. Quick and easy and oh so yummy
    The corn meal mush..
    He used to get the canister of cornmeal and make it per directions and then put it in a loaf pan and refrigerate. Next morning he would take thin slices and fry again in a cast iron skillet and serve with butter and maple syrup..
    Only place I have ever seen it and it was quite a few years ago was Bob Evans restaurant.
    Went over and got Homer outside..now im going to attempt to puy a shoe rack together wish me luck..

my grandma(dad's mom) made fried mush- It was something only she made. She was a simple but good cook- She had to cook a lot with 10 kids.
    I need to make some but will make a small batch as I will be the only one to eat it most likely- Son might eat it.
    Somewhere I have her recipe for chili and her buns-everyone loved both of them
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,192 Member
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Fake Stamp Update

Did Facebook actually vet this advertiser and decide it was legit because it really was? So them accepting the ad was OK?

Lanette B)
    Eating crow, happy but scratching her head in SW WA State

The way these ads work is completely automated. They are usually random or based on things you "like" or previously clicked on or watched. There is no person involved in placing the ads. If one is found to be a scam, that's when people get involved. In this case, it may be a scam, but they also sent you something (as opposed to just taking your money), so it's a grey area.

In addition, it could be completely legit. If someone bought "forever" stamps at a lower rate, they're usable.

Tina in CA

Yes, and sometimes they'll start with something that's a grey area to see if people will click on it. Then, for the ones who did, the next set of ads might be on the blacker side of grey.

As you say, it's all automated ... bots, AI, etc.

Ads and those quizzes and things are dumped into various social media platforms ... AI learns who clicks on those things, and sends out more, all the while gathering information ...

You can kind of shut down some of it by keeping on top of your FB (and other social media settings) ... and by never clicking on anything you haven't specifically chosen to "like" or "follow".

M in Oz

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,428 Member
    Options
    MFP Weekly Check-in for October 9, 2023

Kylia in Ohio - 128.5 ! up 2 pounds! I said eating like I was would come back to haunt me. I am thankful that my hunger has leveled out and I have the tools to get back where I want to be. Now to just implement those tools.

Debbie in Napa Valley CA - Exactly the same as last week. Need to work harder.

RVRita in Roswell NM - Did not do so well this week. Too much Halloween candy! Up 1.5 pounds. But I think some of it is water gain due to some meds I’m taking. Any excuse, right! 🤪

Lanette SW WA State – weight staying under 170 – which is OK for my height (5’ 8 ½”) and age. Goal is clothing fitting better, and making progress overall. Health, at this stage, is priority over what the scale says anyhow. ;)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,428 Member
    Options
    Happy Happy Birthday Rosemarie! <3

And Happy Thanksgiving to our friends up north. Do you have any traditional foods like we in the US usually have turkey (or ham)?

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    👽🛸👻
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    Options
    HAPPY
    BIRTHDAY
    ROSEMARY
    !

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,034 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Rosemary!! Hope you are having a wonderful day

Tina- THANK YOU- I hope so too. Been this was too long. I am finding a little happiness in other things.
    Not going to let his mood bring me down all the time like I did in the past

Debbie
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,114 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Rosemarie!

And happy Thanksgiving!

Annie in Delaware