WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2023

Options

Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,539 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Margaret ... well said.

Thank you ladies for the kind words about my grass seeding photo! We were very tired at that point and acting silly. The grass germinated before it got cold. Yay! It's only going to be in the 40s this week and rain and rain and rain. We have a green sheen over all of that hay ... except for a few places that the chickens ate more seed than I thought. Hopefully it will get a little bit more growing in before winter.

Lanette... yes, the neighbors are supposed to be moving soon. I liked the chickens, but I won't be sad to see their vicious dog go. Of course there are zoning restrictions here and they pushed the envelope. For the number of animals they own, they should be on at least 5 acres. They're on an acre lot. Which is why they're moving ... they told me they had "outgrown their yard."

Rebecca ... I just smile every time you write that you chatted with your oldest and your youngest!

Betsy ... sending prayers that your sister's tests bring good news.

Kelly ... glad to hear that your sister has been getting some good news regarding her cancer!

DrKatieBug ... the talk about vitamins made me realize that a change to my vitamin D might be the cause of increased knee pain. My vitamin D levels are at the upper end of accepted ranges and my doctor asked me to cut back ... which I've done. I forgot that the last time I tried this my knees complained then too. So I'm going to go back to my normal dosage and see what happens.

Attended a wedding last night. A lovely venue where they have the ceremony outdoors and then dinner under large tents and a barn. Sadly, the heavens opened up in a down pour right at the time the ceremony was to begin. They said their vows inside the dining tents, but it just wasn't the same. The sun did peek out for a little bit and I could see that their photographer was making use of it with the fall foliage as a backdrop. Risky business scheduling outdoor weddings in October... and it was cold!

Today, we recorded our Buffalo Bills playing football (they were in London) so we could watch the game after church. Hoped no one would give updates at church, but of course they did. Still watched the tape. Not a great day for the Bills.

Picked two bushels of apples yesterday from our tree (still loads to pick or let the deer enjoy) and spent the game peeling them for pies that I'll freeze. Fireside Apples. Didn't expect the tree to produce this year but the apples are large and blemish-free. Go figure. Used my new fruit picker! Where has this tool been all my life? Never had to get the ladder out and I made certain to pick the largest apple at the top!

Beth near Buffalo

I smile too. They're just great guys, and my heart gets all warm and fuzzy when I ponder them now. Poor eldest in Guam is getting ready for typhoons #2 of this year! He's got his scooters in the house, and his van and other scooters parked tightly in the garage. Hopefully it will just skim his island.🙏💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 1hr 23min 22sec, 45elev, 2.86ap, 81ahr, 93mhr, 4.08mi= 362c
    Strava app = 500c
    * cut walk short, doing long run later *
    Walk home to gym- 11.30min, .52mi= 55c
    Strava app = 64c
    Treadmill jog- 1hr 33min 30sec, 1st 3mi @ 5.3sp, next 3mi @ 6.3sp, next 2 mi @ 5.6sp, last mi @ 6.0, 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0sp, 145ahr, 163mhr, 10.37min mi, 9mi= 873c
    Walk gym to stores then home- 27.13min, 1.08mi= 128c
    Strava app = 133c

Total cal 1418

Well did my 9 miles
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    I tell you, I am having a reaction to the bug bites I got yesterday. Now my right (unfortunately) hand is so swollen that I’m having a hard time holding a pencil. And is it ever itchy! I remembered the blowdryer thing so by the time I remembered it at least I got a bit of sleep last night. It’s more swollen now than when I went to bowling earlier. Putting ice on it, but don’t know how much that’ll help

M and barbie and everyone else who commented – this is only October, Denise was talking about June. Unfortunately, she has champagne tastes on a beer budget. But like I said, we shall see what happens. I’m certainly not holding my breath. I’ve been disappointed too many times before.

Barbara – thanks for the update about Katla. So sorry to hear about the health issues

Took a walk to Food Lion. Ordered a cake for this guy who is coming back to Newcomer bowling after breaking his hip at bowling last year.

Lisa – hope your cardiologist appt goes well

Annie – yea you used the bike!

Happy Thanksgiving to all from Canada

Rebecca – so glad all’s well

Allie – I’m so sorry that happened to you. At least you realize what happened and are cancelling your cards, etc

Time for dinner then ceramics

Michele NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Rosemary :flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    <3HappyBirthday Rosemary 🎉💐🎈😘😀
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Rosemary!!
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday, Rosemarie!

lzdxyoxj83w7.png
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,192 Member
    Options
    Happy Happy Birthday Rosemarie! <3

And Happy Thanksgiving to our friends up north. Do you have any traditional foods like we in the US usually have turkey (or ham)?

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Yes ... turkey, pumpkin pie.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,192 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Happy Birthday Rosemarie. 🎂
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Ginny - We cross posted... :smiley: Mine's just before yours.
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • vibrantreader
    vibrantreader Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Vibrantreader Thank you. As I said at the end of the post, I meant it when I said I am glad you are here. The discussion made me think deeply about how I respond to language that affects me negatively. I try to meet it with love the best I can. I am sometimes more successful than others. Sometimes forgiveness is where I need to start.

One example I gave showed how a group in charge of a funeral met a family and friends grieving suffering a horrible loss who used raw language in the pain or their loss with love and compassion rather than asking them to stop.

The other example I used was when I was teaching and a student would make bad choices in their language I would tell them they were too good looking to use that kind of language rather than scold them.

Thank you my friends... I feel so fortunate to have all of you with all your love and your wisdom. I appreciate all the support given to me here.

:heart: Margaret

I like the idea of saying .. you too good looking for that. I might use that? More for behavior than bad words. Wedgie pulling 😊

Thank you Margaret.. your one of the reasons I’m going to give this ago again. ❤️

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,629 Member
    Options
    Good Monday,
    In spite of long johns yesterday, it was a wee bit chilly! It was nice visiting with our "Mustang" friends in Cicinnati supporting the Pink Ribbon Girls. Did enjoy cruise in in the evening, but only lasted an hour as I was just too cold. Is it summer yet?

Barbara Thank you for the Katla update.

Grits I hated them growing up! Seriously hated. My mom tells story when I was 3 yo.we were dirt poor. I refused to eat my grits for breakfast. I literally was only served those grits for lunch and dinner that day. I still refused. The next morning she says she finally "blew" them down my throat. After that I ate 3 large pancakes. Stubbornness on both parts. It has only been the last 10 years that I can eat grits, oatmeal, or cream of wheat. Now I love shrimp and grits and chicken gumbo with grits.

Happy birthday 🎂 Rosemarie!

Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian ladies.

Went to Cincinnati for a dealers meeting today. It was good except for lunch. I had to think on my feet. It was sandwiches, salad, and macaroni and potato salads. I had already put tomatoes, cheese, and mayo on my bread when I realized our meat choices were ham or turkey. Turkey aggravates my migraines. Pork not good for my belly. I had green salad, a tomato sandwich, and small servings of the other salads, oh and a brownie. Not enough water. Trying to remedy that now. Got home early. DH wanted to go to shop....I told him no! We came home instead. :)

Ordered the coloring books, markers, and pencils for friend. Have contractor coming tomorrow night for quote on garage addition.

Like Machka I am not sure I have goals (#9). I am concentrating on better life habits that make my quality of life better and daily life easier.

Time to get some training done.

TTFN,
    Kylia sitting under a blanket in Ohio
  • vibrantreader
    Options
    Hi there,

I am here to get my health back. No better time than right before a birthday. I am over 50 and feel very blessed.. to have made it this far.

Aren’t we so proud of our grandchildren and amazed by their achievements, for those that have posted pictures.

@Machka9 I did in Sept. More later as I feel comfortable.
  • vibrantreader
    Options
    @exermom I would jump at chance to spend time with a grandchild.

Sometimes toothpaste helps soothe mosquito bites, if they aren’t to big.
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    vibrantreader-hadn't heard of toothpaste for bites so /I had to google (I google everything unusual I hear/read). In addition to mosquito bites it says also good for ant bites (they are who got Michelle). Baking soda also good. Goes to show much of the time we probably don't need specialty stuff.

Lisa-what a wild solution for you. Of course it figures you would have something unusual. And yes-I have to. google that treatment! How do they come up with this stuff?

Kylia-creative lunch! Good for you going home!

Ginny
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Lisa - am delighted that there is an option that will help lessen the concerns with the afib. Sending good thoughts as you adjust to this as a good option.

Kim in N. California