Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Wishing our friends up north a Happy Thanksgiving! Just curious-I should know this-what are your traditional food dishes?

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

From what I can gather, Canadian Thanksgivings are similar to your but more low key. Smaller meals, not so commercial.

There's often a turkey dinner and pumpkin pie.

My Thanksgivings usually included an outdoor element ... getting out for a bicycle ride.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    vibrantreader-hadn't heard of toothpaste for bites so /I had to google (I google everything unusual I hear/read). In addition to mosquito bites it says also good for ant bites (they are who got Michelle). Baking soda also good. Goes to show much of the time we probably don't need specialty stuff.

Ginny

Yes, toothpaste is something to try for many insect bites. We've got some on hand in case of bee stings with our hives.

We've got a few other things on hand in our "bee first aid" kit as well, such as lemon juice.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    I tell you, I am having a reaction to the bug bites I got yesterday. Now my right (unfortunately) hand is so swollen that I’m having a hard time holding a pencil. And is it ever itchy! I remembered the blowdryer thing so by the time I remembered it at least I got a bit of sleep last night. It’s more swollen now than when I went to bowling earlier. Putting ice on it, but don’t know how much that’ll help

Michele NC

Might be time to take an antihistamine and arrange to go to Urgent (Walk-In) Care.

How's your breathing?

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    amxv8ayp0org.png
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    M and Michele When I was stung by over ten wasps two years ago I made a paste of Benodite Clay and vinegar. My dad would use mud on a bee sting. That is what gave me the idea. I also used ice too. I carry a kit during the summer. I now also carry a homopathic remedy after how badly I swelled from those stings.
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Lisa- wish my cardiologist could have done that for me..
    Nope ive been split open like a spatchcock chicken twice..and poked and proded till the cows come home..
    But im still here and walking talking and for that im eternally greatful
    Allie - You're absolutely spot on, darlin', and open heart surgery of any kind was my biggest fear walking in there. I'm so pleased they sewed you back up again and sent you back to us. We're grateful for you, dear heart, always.
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Lisa - am delighted that there is an option that will help lessen the concerns with the afib. Sending good thoughts as you adjust to this as a good option.
    Kim in N. California
    Kim - I will adjust, as you say. It's a good way to put it, darlin' and thank you for the good thoughts. Today I'm tired and cranky--it was more exhausting and tense than I knew, and of course, it was two hours wait, much of it spent hoping they didn't call my name while I was in the bathroom twice! A good night's sleep and a couple hours of research, and I'll be as delighted as you are, my friend... :smiley:
    Lisa-what a wild solution for you. Of course it figures you would have something unusual. And yes-I have to. google that treatment! How do they come up with this stuff?
    Ginny
    Ginny - At one level, I'm pretty glad I'm not normal. Part of my comment above to Kim is that I'll be happier tomorrow, and one of the big reasons for that will be that every other solution involved blood thinners and/or open-heart surgery, which as I said to Allie, was a big fear. All that's off the table for me. Without blood thinners, they just won't even try them. Right now, I'm dealing with the AFib pretty well with just the minimal medication to keep my heart rate from going completely off the charts. At peak effort, I'm up around 148 heart rate, which for age, rate and gender, is at the bottom end of my max range - and that's because of the meds I'm taking. Here's a link for anyone who wants to know what their max should be. If you're regularly exceeding your max, you might want to talk to your doc. To find it, you will need to translate to cm for your height and kg for your weight. Lots of good explanations on those pages.

For now - time for bed about an hour early. I'm exhausted...
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Lisa-yup on blood thinners the rest of my life,they had to knock me out a couple of time to zap my heart back into rhythm.. and yes on meds to keep that in check too .oh dont forget..congestive heart failure ,so on lasix and Cardizem for that all thanks to my dad.. kidney stuff thanks mom...sheesh ,I got the ol 1-2 didnt I lol
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Vibrantreader – these aren’t mosquito bites, they’re red ants. The most effective thing I’ve found is aiming your blowdryer at the itch and holding it there as long as you can possibly stand it. This temporarily relieves the itch. The reason it does is because the heat breaks up the histamines that cause the itching.

M – oh, breathing is fine. Urgent Care really can’t do anything. It’ll go away. The ice I put on it earlier really didn’t help, guess it’s been too long since I got the bites. Thanks for your concern. Actually, the heat from the blowdryer works faster than an antihistamine. The antihistamine has to go thru your system first, the hot air works immediately

Margaret – benodyte clay and vinegar? Never heard of it, but that makes sense. I know when we went camping, we used this stuff called “After Bite” which I think was basically either vinegar or ammonia. I remember it worked really well.

Lisa – so glad you won’t have open heart surgery.

put my toucan in to be fired at ceramics. Now working on this fish placque.

Off to watch some TV and then bed.

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Options
    Australia has a government cybersecurity website which teaches aspects of cybersecurity. I also follow the site on FB.

https://www.cyber.gov.au/learn-basics
    https://www.cyber.gov.au/learn-basics#toolkit

This might be a similar US cybersecurity website.

https://www.cisa.gov/resources-tools

And one for Canada.

https://www.cyber.gc.ca/en

These days, it's important to keep up to date with this stuff! Unfortunate but true.

Machka in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,627 Member
    Options
    Lisa one of our friend's had the watchman installed a few months ago. He wanted off the eliquis. He has had no issues with it. He too has afib. He has had 2 ablation that didn't work. I am thankful that the ablation for my DH worked and he is no longer on blood thinner. He is however still on a low dose beta blocker.

Michele Fireant bites are the worst! I was trying to remember what my mother used when we lived in Alabama. I was thinking baking soda paste, but could be wrong.

Loves,
    Kylia in ohio
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    My mother used to take my arm with the mosquito bite, lick her finger, and make an X with her finger nail on the bump. I would be yelling like I was dying. The X was to release the poison out of the bite, and let it drain, well that is what my mom said. Of course she probably introduced bacteria into the bite from her nails or her saliva!😂😂😂
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Machka9
    Options
    My mother used to take my arm with the mosquito bite, lick her finger, and make an X with her finger nail on the bump. I would be yelling like I was dying. The X was to release the poison out of the bite, and let it drain, well that is what my mom said. Of course she probably introduced bacteria into the bite from her nails or her saliva!😂😂😂
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

Uh ... yeah. Not a great idea!!

However, if she didn't break the skin, it would be along the lines of "kissing it better".

M in Oz

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,887 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    6cen9u5ottz8.png

1. Databases
    2. Cycling
    3. Colouring

:smiley::smiley::smiley:

Machka in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    If anybody wants a long read, this is about Svalbard, where Penny used to live in Longyearbyen, and where we visited her and her husband. The cruise took us also to Barentsburg and Pyramiden, and it was a surreal experience, but very worthwhile.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/10/barentsburg-the-norwegian-town-feeling-the-chill-of-the-ukraine-war

I will start a bit of packing today, just fiddly bits, like decanting liquids etc. I slept OK, with a quick read in the night, and woke up early, but not silly early.

Bea pick up today. I will ask her how her 'spider therapy ' went on Sunday. :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Lisa - I'm glad you won't need actual surgery. I'll look up your device. :)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx