WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2023

Options

Replies

• vibrantreader
    vibrantreader Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    @margaretturk

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences.. it’s much appreciated by me. Sorry it’s gone.

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    CarolGaGal wrote: »
    Margaret ~ How wise you are!

Kim ~ I LOVE grits. I eat a bowl of grits with an added cooked egg several times a week and often for lunch. Follow the directions on the package for cooking and add salt and butter to taste. You can add cheese. Also, Shrimp and Grits is a very popular dish in many restaurants.

Rebecca ~ Is this the sister you visited who does the beautiful paintings. She is so very talented.

Today is my son's 49th BD! We will visit him this afternoon for a steak dinner as he is a very talented cook.

Friday was my grandkids 7th and 8th grade homecoming dance at school. I kept both of these children when they were babies and can hardly believe how grown up they now look.

2fh2d7mj6zgu.jpg

Carol in GA

Yep!
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Regarding the grits question from Kim, I keep forgetting to add - one of my absolute favorite treats is grits made to the directions on the box, with added cheese of your choice melted into them then topped with toasted French-fried onions. I don't make them anymore for obvious reasons... You can also just treat grits as if they were cream-of-wheat cereal. My sister fed it to her kids for years for breakfast, with a little milk and honey.

You can also use them half and half with cornmeal to make cornbread. I think you may already have said it, but it basically is polenta, just made from white corn instead of yellow corn. I like polenta if it's spread out on a cookie sheet until it's about a half-inch thick, and refrigerated until fairly solid. Then cut into round or square patties, and brown with just a little cooking spray. Gives a wonderful, nutty flavor, and you can put meat sauces over it, like spaghetti sauce, or Chinese dishes, in place of rice. Has to be browned in a nonstick pan, it's sticky stuff! Grits have significantly fewer calories than the polenta that you buy premade in stores, too. I like grits, can you tell? :smiley: Shrimp and grits, with a lovely garlic sauce, is one of the better dishes ever in my estimation.

Regarding vitamins, I just take the ones I can snag at Walmart or Sam's. I have prescriptions for minerals, including iron, zinc and potassium. For vitamins, I take B12, folate and one Women 50+ multivitamin. At the moment, I seem to be near equilibrium with the vitamins, minerals, and meds, so I don't change up a whole lot.

Later,
    Love,
    Lisa

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,967 Member
    Options
    :) I want to echo Heather's recommendation of Dr. Chatterjee's podcasts. I have listened to a lot of them. I get them from iTunes so I can download them to listen to on my phone while I walk. They are also available to watch on YouTube. If you are seeking a solution to what ails you, Dr. Chatterjee probably has a podcast or several that will be just what you are looking for.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,770 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Regarding supplements - If I could only take three supplements, they would be: 10,000 IU of Vit D3, 100 mcg of Vit K as MK7, and a high absorption Magnesium. All taken together, daily. So much has come out in the past few years about the benefits of having D3 levels above 60 ng/ml. Mine's at 67 and I intend to keep it there. Higher levels of D3 keep our immune system strong - so anti virus properties; good for bone health and work as a cancer preventative. My system needs support in all those areas. ;)

Carol - wow your grands have grown fast, I remember when they

Another UPDATE - Beth - interesting your higher Vit D level might be causing your knee pain. A good reminder that we are all individuals here and react to supplements in different ways, and to check with our medical folks. My doctor gave me the go-ahead to keep my levels high for the reasons I mentioned above.

Also Beth - what a nice surprise your apple tree gave you!

Lanette … I didn’t mean to write so confusing. My doctor thought my vitamin D was too high at 90 so she cut me back. Since I’ve been taking less, my knees have started to bother me again. I’m going to go back to my regular dose to see if the pain lessens. I was taking 35,000 iu per week, dropped to 15,000 and I’m going to go back to 35,000 per week.

Beth

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,647 Member
    Options
    Carol and Lisa - Help! it is in a tupperware container, no directions on package! Do you have a package with directions? this gal told me she had to order it online because she could not find it in our stores. I have never seen it on a menu. California just isn't very southern LOL!

thanks Kim in N. California
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Weekly Check in.
    bwcetc wrote: »

Regarding supplements - If I could only take three supplements, they would be: 10,000 IU of Vit D3, 100 mcg of Vit K as MK7, and a high absorption Magnesium. All taken together, daily. So much has come out in the past few years about the benefits of having D3 levels above 60 ng/ml. Mine's at 67 and I intend to keep it there. Higher levels of D3 keep our immune system strong - so anti virus properties; good for bone health and work as a cancer preventative. My system needs support in all those areas. ;)

Another UPDATE - Beth - interesting your higher Vit D level might be causing your knee pain. A good reminder that we are all individuals here and react to supplements in different ways, and to check with our medical folks. My doctor gave me the go-ahead to keep my levels high for the reasons I mentioned above.

Also Beth - what a nice surprise your apple tree gave you!

Lanette … I didn’t mean to write so confusing. My doctor thought my vitamin D was too high at 90 so she cut me back. Since I’ve been taking less, my knees have started to bother me again. I’m going to go back to my regular dose to see if the pain lessens. I was taking 35,000 iu per week, dropped to 15,000 and I’m going to go back to 35,000 per week.

Beth

Beth - ah, that makes sense. I guess I'm getting around 70,000 iu per week now. :o I dropped it down a little during the summer when I was out in the sun more and got it up to 67.

My doc is OK with levels up to 100 - I think that's the recommendation from the lab. But I've heard of higher levels with no bad effects.

Thanks for popping in on this. It's an interesting topic.

Lanette
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,647 Member
    Options
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,613 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,063 Member
    Options
    @auntiebk :)

Good Saturday morning!

So sad to see bad words used here about our loved ones.

My Grandmother taught me If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.

Not sure this is the place for me?

I have to remember that not everyone has been using forums for the decades that I have done. I presume you're new to forums.

Welcome here and a few tips:

- Introduce yourself. Usually most people who are new to a forum (like MyFitnessPal) or a subforum (like Motivation and Support) or a long, ongoing thread, like this one (Women Ages 50 For October 2023) introduce themselves in some way rather than leaping right in.
    - Observe. Get to know who's who in some way a little bit.
    - Familiarise yourself with the Community Guidelines: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/community-guidelines. These are for the whole MyFitnessPal Community.
    - Stay away from politics and religion ... and other controversial topics.

That said ...

This is Me: Machka the Canadian-Australian. I'm 56, still working and doing a whole lot of other things.

hzhmkjd6hxua.png
    https://wordart.com/create

Sports I have done or would like to try:
    cagtx6esk18v.png

Why I cycle ...
    6nly3hrym42g.png

Create your own Word Art: :)
    https://wordart.com/create

Or introduce yourself in another way. :)

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Quote from Machka- I look at ALL FB ads as scams. A lot of them do come from overseas ... the USA. And I won't buy anything from a random business there!!!

Re FB Ads:
    As I mentioned, I've purchased from FB ads before and this was the first time I encountered one that was likely a scam. One that just popped up in my FB feed this morning was for LLBean, a well-known and respected clothing company here in the US who I've purchased from many times and definitely not a scam. And next is an ad for Cheerios. And the next one for "The Lost Book of Herbal Remedies", which I purchased earlier this year and received and was pleased with it. I haven't taken the time but we can go in to FB and select the type of ads we'd like to see.

Sounds like FB ads are different in your country. From what I know, FB makes its money from advertising and I don't think packing the feed with fakes and scams is the intent because they'll lose viewership that way. I'm not defending them. I know my state retirement is invested in funds that include FB and I hope they keep their act together with legit ads and continue to be successful.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

I use software so that I do not see advertisements.
    However when I could, they've often been from the US.
    The main problem with ordering stuff from the US is that, from my experience of looking online for cycling stuff, shipping is as much as the product, or more. Whereas getting the same or similar products from other places such as the UK, the products are reasonably priced and shipping is free or next to it.
    Another problem is that I don't know what the place of business is. It's not familiar to me.
    Another problem is that the product won't work in Australia.

But lots of the advertisements found on places like FB are s c a m s. Open Google and type: 'are facebook ads s c a m s'

FB does make its money from advertising ... and in many places and situations, doesn't really care what the ad is as long as it makes money.

If I happen to see a product that looks interesting on FB, I look up the business or product elsewhere.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    2023 Optimistic October

zdambv1l6md6.jpeg

1. Write down three things you can look forward to this month.
    Daylight Savings Time!! - which occurred early in the morning of October 1.
    Spring's developments
    Thanksgiving

2. Find something to be optimistic about (even if it’s a difficult time)
    There's lots to be optimistic about!
    Daylight in evenings so we can start exercising outdoors after work. :)
    Work going well. Finished that instruction manual and got myself in a good position to make improvements to the project I'm working on. :)
    Reading books. Colouring. Doing sudokus.
    Getting stuff done on my home computer.
    The garden!
    My family.

3. Take a small step to a goal that really matters to you.
    Taking steps toward the "organise the house" project.

4. Start the day with the most important thing on your to-do-list.
    I've actually done quite a few things already today. :)

5. Be a realistic optimist. See life as it is but focus on what’s good.
    I'm definitely not a pure optimist. Too much has happened, especially in the last 5 years, for me to call myself an optimist, but there are a lot of good things going on too.

6. Remind yourself that things can change for the better.
    I know!!

7. Look for the good in people around you today.
    Most people have been really helpful and nice lately.

8. Make some progress on a project or task you’ve been avoiding.
    Not quite yet. Maybe at some point next week.

9. Share an important goal with someone you trust.
    I don't make a lot of goals these days.

10. Take time to reflect on what you have accomplished recently.

11. Avoid blaming yourself or others. Find a helpful way forward.
    12. Look out for positive news and reasons to be cheerful today.
    13. Ask for help to overcome an obstacle you are facing.
    14. Do something constructive to improve a difficult situation
    15. Thank yourself for achieving the things you often take for granted.
    16. Put down your to-list and do something fun or uplifting.
    17. Take a small step toward a positive change you want to see in society.
    18. Set hopeful, but realistic goals for the days ahead.
    19. Identify one of your positive qualities that will be helpful in the future.
    20. Find joy in tackling a task you’ve put off for some time.
    21. Let go of the expectations of others and focus on what matters to you.
    22. Share a hopeful quote, picture, or video with a friend or colleague
    23. Recognize that you have a choice of what to prioritize.
    24. Write down three specific things that have gone well recently.
    25. You can’t do everything! What are three priorities right now?
    26. Find a new prospective on a problem you face.
    27. Be kind to yourself today. Remember progress takes time.
    28. Ask yourself ‘will this still matter a year from now?’
    29. Plan a fun or exciting activity to look forward to.
    30. Identify three things that give you hope for the future.
    31. Set a goal that brings a sense of purpose for the coming month.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    And thinking about this in exercise and movement terms:
    This is what our bodies are designed for. Lifting and moving things. Carrying heavy items. Stretching to reach high shelves and squatting to retrieve things off low shelves. Hammering nails. Getting on our hands and knees from time to time. Sweeping and scrubbing. Sawing and chopping wood. Raking leaves. Dragging limbs. Painting decks. Pushing mowers. All the things our ancestors did before we had modern appliances and computers and TV's that keep us sitting and stationary so much.

As our Barbie often says, I need to remind myself to choose every opportunity to stay active-as active as I can without hurting myself. I know I sleep better when I'm tired from working on a project.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Absolutely!!

I've always said that we humans are meant to be active. We're built to be active. Our bodies operate best when we've developed our muscles and are fit and strong.

Since beginning long distance cycling, I've also discovered that most people are capable of much more than they actually do.

Of course if we haven't done much recently ... because we've been ill or because we had to deal with something else or whatever ... we do have to ease into it slowly but regularly or we risk hurting ourselves. But keep going and we begin to discover what we're really capable of!!

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Tracey - glad your wrist doesn't have anything major going on with it. Did the doc suggest ice? My DH's cousin lives in Quebec and came to visit ten years ago. He was not happy back then with the doctor situation and said he knew of folks that drove down to the states to get medical attention. Haven't spoken with him recently so I have no idea if that's still the case. We are seeing doctor shortages in the US in some areas too. I think the pandemic wore them out and they made the decision to retire early. I know of a couple that went into telehealth.

Margaret - you summed it up quite nicely. I appreciate that we can vent frustration and sadness here in a safe place. The comments and conversation this afternoon made me think of my maternal grandmother who lived on the farm next to us when I was a kid. Every Sunday she'd go to church and every morning she'd read "The Upper Room." She talked to Jesus all day long. She didn't drive but walked all over the neighborhood to look in on sick neighbors, and take them produce from her garden in the summer. Sometimes she'd take one of us grandkids along to walk with her and we knew to sit quietly while the adults talked. Some of the neighbors had rather coarse language, but she never mentioned anything or was critical unless we made a comment to her later. She'd say something like "We aren't supposed to talk like that, but we are all sinners and Jesus loves us anyhow." But if she discovered anyone was a thief or liar, she had plenty of criticism for that type of activity. :p Whew! Gosh I miss her. I think she's in charge of the band of Angels doing their darndest to keep me out of trouble, lol.

What a lovely flower - water lily?

Kim - when I saw the picture of that troll I thought "where's its outfit?" :D I think we had clothes for them too. And we called them "Dammit dolls". No idea why.

Rebecca - I know I've asked before but can't remember what you said - does your sis sell her paintings? I remember the beautiful ones of birds painted on sheets of music. Eli is growing so fast. Thanks for the photos, as always.

Terri - B)<3

Annie- having your sis come after she retires and spend some time to do the cleaning is a great idea. Glad you found the bills! Again, many hugs - you are in the position of being both parent and child. I think you are handling it well. All you can do is the best you can. <3

Well, ladies, here's the newly stained deck. I should have taken before photos - prior to Roger pressure washing it. It could use another coat of stain but I'm not concerned. It's better than it was and will be mostly waterproof this winter.
    zszryzhdoavw.jpg

3ge7ura1i395.jpg

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Yes she does sell them at a arts and craft fair that's coming up. Its down in the Salem Oregon area. She is excited and hopes to paint about 30 items to sell. I like that her paints are so sweet. Simple.🤗💖
    u62bjtz0jg4b.jpeg
    qnto1r7hbds3.pngr7w94riwh55t.png
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

She does incredible work!!
  • Machka9
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Picked two bushels of apples yesterday from our tree (still loads to pick or let the deer enjoy) and spent the game peeling them for pies that I'll freeze. Fireside Apples. Didn't expect the tree to produce this year but the apples are large and blemish-free. Go figure. Used my new fruit picker! Where has this tool been all my life? Never had to get the ladder out and I made certain to pick the largest apple at the top!

Beth near Buffalo

Our apple trees are just blooming. :)

• Machka9
    edited October 2023
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Denise called to tell us that they are planning a trip (her and Pete) to London next June and would we sit for PJ at their house?

Michele NC

Exciting!!

I chose to travel rather than buying a house and doing those traditional settling down kinds of things. No regrets!!

And nice for you too that you get to spend some time with your grandson. :)

M in Oz