Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,618 Member
    Options
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,506 Member
    Options
    Below are the pieces that I've made so far in the pottery class - the pinkish pinch pot to the right in the first photo was the very first thing we made. It's got a light underglaze on it. The others are not painted at all. These are at the very first stage and have not yet been fired the first time; that will hopefully happen by next week. The last one, the large platter, also has a very nearly identical twin, it's one of a pair. After they're fired, they can be painted. I didn't create the patterns, just chose from those available. For perspective, the large clay platter is about 24" long and 10" wide or thereabouts.

All but the pinch pot are "slab pottery." The clay is pressed in subsequent passes through what basically looks like a giant pasta machine until it's about 1/4" to 3/8" thick. It's then cut around a wooden form, the patterns that you see are rolled into the clay, then the piece is pressed around that mold to give it the shapes you see.

tcjzhd0r1r83.png

iqz4h2315jxz.png

pjwb8soc14tu.png

Today we made a small coiled pot, just rolled clay wound up to become a small pot, and a basket made of extruded strips. Think basically a giant Play Doh Fun Factory from our childhoods, but stainless steel and taller than me. :smiley:

Later, y'all;
    Love,
    Lisa

Beautiful pottery Lisa!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,785 Member
    Options
    pcf3ewdo5but.jpeg
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    Kim - many, many thanks for the offer. I see my pulmonologist Nov 7 and will talk to him about it.to see what he thinks.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,029 Member
    Options
    Could be triggering for some: Self Harm - Suicide so I’ll put in a spoiler.
    I had a tough school day today. I was taking Suicide and Self Harm Intervention I found the statistics so difficult to learn. I mean I’m not oblivious, I know the numbers are staggering, I’ve had so many people I know affected by it. I was a shocked to learn of the children though. They have a statistical number for 5-9 year olds and my heart breaks.
    Before we learned what a Suicide Risk Analysis was the instructor asked if any of us had completed one before. I responded that I hadn’t. After the lesson and a video I found that I actually had, I just never put a name to it or documented it. I have helped two friends on more than one occasion. That made me feel good and now I’m even more equipped.

We learned about things that can make people start to consider suicide and was shocked when she was reading all of my feelings for the last couple of years in my job. I actually teared up thinking about it. Rodger was shocked when I told him about it.

Tracey in Edmonton

One of the brain's reactions to going on and off antidepressants can be deep depression and feelings of suicide ... which is why doctors will (or should) talk to people about the antidepressant medication and put them on a structured program to ease them onto antidepressants ... or off as the case may be.

When I went onto the antidepressants about 3 months after my husband's accident, I was warned that I would likely feel worse before I felt better and I was warned that I needed to persist with the schedule my doctor put me on because it takes 2 or 3 weeks to start feeling better.

That was all right.

But then my gynaecologic-oncologist wanted me on a different antidepressant which would help my hot flashes and menopause symptoms better. So I had to wean off the one I was on, take a 2 week break, and ease into the new one.
    I hit an extremely low point in my life in that transition, and fought through several days to stay alive. Nevermind thoughts ... I had the whole thing planned. But gradually, I started feeling a bit better.

And now I'm very reluctant to go off my antidepressants.

Like I said earlier, changing doses, going off and on, etc. really messes with the mind and should only be done after talking to a doctor so you know what you're in for.

So many people are on antidepressants now, and do get very casual about their medications ... that alone can definitely contribute to feelings of deep depression and hopelessness.

In both school and work settings bullying is a huge issue ... as you know. And one of the things I learned during my Bachelor of Education is that some teachers will side with the bully, thinking that the one being bullied "deserved it" in some way or that it might toughen up the one being bullied. :(:( So the one being bullied can't even go to the teacher for help.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Routines I am still working on....dealing with both paper mail and emails daily and scheduling routine things in my calendar (change cpap stuffs, pay taxes, etc)

Much love,
    Kylia in Ohio

I have to deal with emails at least every other day or they quickly get out of hand. In 3 days I can have over 100 emails to deal with. Not always, but it can happen.

Fortunately paper mail doesn't come in that often.

And, if I didn't schedule things on my Google calendar, I wouldn't remember!! All my appointments and meetings and events and everything are there. All regularly occurring things are also there.

In addition, my Things To Do list is on my calendar but in a different way from the other stuff.

I have a list of things to do related to my cycling club. That's in one entry (appointment/meeting/event or whatever) and I move it to the next week, and next week, etc. and update it as it goes. So the most important or most urgent thing to do will be in the title (like: Audax - Advertise Next Event), and the whole list in the main body. When I do the most important thing, I change the title to the next thing.

I have a list of things to do relating to the garden. It also gets moved to the next week, to the next week, etc. And like with the cycling club one, the title gets updated with the most important thing: Garden - Plant Drystream Bed, or whatever, while the body contains the main list. It tends to move from one Saturday to the next because I work on the garden on weekends.

I've got one list for the in-house stuff, for paperwork, and several other things. I put most of them in the evenings so I know what I am going to work on that evening. One evening will be cycling club stuff, the next evening will be housekeeping stuff, the next one might be paying bills and doing paperwork, etc. There's always something to do!!

Machka in Oz

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,294 Member
    Options
    Big hugs and sympathy for those whose lives are overwhelming. <3

Today I hope to finish my cutting and pasting. Next Monday I will read through again. I have then to write the blurb and the author description, prior to getting it onto KDP and choosing the cover template. I have a cover photo. That will happen after the holiday, I think.
    NOW I AM is about how I recovered from the long, complex trauma of my childhood, and some suggestions that might help other people. It is also a sort of Credo.
    I'm pleased with it. It's not perfect, but it's an honest piece of work.

Hope my jab doesn't knock me out. I was soooo tired last night. Slept OK.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,755 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Sheesh I had a good sleep until about 3 am and a bad tummy has woken me up.. I think a possible lupus side effect.. either I can go or can't go if you get my drift
    And I have stomach cramps.. so here I am awake.maybe a heating pad will help.
    We are supposed to have rain today and tomorrow and our local fair is this weekend ..it will be a mudpit
    But my friends Sue and Bob are up from North Carolina so im supposed to go tonight and tomorrow night
    I have boots.im just worried about the unevenness
  • Machka9
    Options
    I went with a friend to a lecture on architecture this evening. I really enjoyed it. I have had this friend 16 years and pre-covid and my husband getting ill she and I would go to events around town. I didn't see her too much during covid. Interestingly being a widow now and doing more with her she seems so self centered to me. I enjoy her energy but I notice she doesn't listen to me and she interrupts me. I wonder if she has dementia or anxiety and maybe she was like this all along and I didn't notice because I had my husband. I am not sure what to think about it.

Best,
    Rosemarie from Georgia

Some friends are good for one or two purposes ... such as someone to accompany you a lecture on architecture. Your friend might be suitable for that, but you'll have other friends for other things. Other friends might be people you can really talk with.

M in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Today’s gratitudes: masseuse who listens, T’s presents arrived. Dollar Tree had tiny bowls for bean salad.
    Barbie “I reasoned that if he had been climbing Mt. Everest, I wouldn't feel any safer by going along.” I just love your way of looking at things.
    Lisa con VERY grats on quitting smoking, both you and Corey. I’m with you on whatever helps you to accomplish your aims. And how our own opinions can sometimes be such obstacles. “Play Doh Fun Factory” :laugh: Nice progression, look forward to seeing your coil pot/basket and first thrown pieces.
    Rita when that happens to me I have to wash more carefully/frequently, dry thoroughly and change bras daily. Have some cream from the dermatologist, but think a dusting of antifungal powder would work as well. It will clear up again when the sugar is gone. Good luck!
    Vicki I am so jealous of your water therapy! Sure wish it was available here. Good luck!
    Debbie sometimes tea just doesn’t do it. Hope you can catch that kitten AND sleep better tonight.
    Sue yours to both Rita and Vicki.
    Allie “did some hip and thigh stretches” Brava!!! Be sure to walk around a little before stretching, muscles need to warm up.
    Kay “how always having a car payment had contributed to holding us back from our financial goals.” Truth this. Congrats on the new car!
    Heather Brava on the book! Love hearing about your capsule wardrobe. Sounds stylish and light.
    Lanette well done on the deck maintenance!
    Machka ((hugs)) and more ((hugs)). Thank you for sharing your experience transitioning from one antidepressant to another. Wisdom this.
    Betsy me too, oh me too! I wanna join the flying saucer chicken party.
    Rosemarie could your friend be suffering hearing loss?
    Kylia leg cramps, ouch! And yes getting things done, DOES count.
    Kim yours to Sue. Well done.
    Welcome @kristisadler68 . Lots of support here on this thread though most of us don’t do the mfp “friend” thing. If the gym is torture, is there other activity that feels more like fun? Walking, pickleball, dancing, swimming or ???
    Tracey ((hugs)) thankful from the bottom of my heart that you’ve gotten out of that job. ((hugs))

Got back up on the PT wagon today but fell off the steps mountain. Tomorrow I will do better than today, even if its only one step.
    10/5: Move: 2 sets PT w/d, x&a.
    Steps:3947

Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=-10 CI<CO net=94 vits=1
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AD, AF, massage, Dollar Tree, Post Office. Wt130.3:

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    October: Move more: chair yoga, line dance, dailyish PT, play with dogs.
    Fuel better: less sugar, dailyish vitamins.
    Live NOW: dailyish time with Joe, readings. Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2023: Be of good cheer.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    Machka Thanks for the idea on miniature golf. We have played in the past with the grands. I would have loved the butterflies! Love ❤️ the advise to Rosemarie. I do know I try really hard to be the listening friend when needed. I have a solid core of friends and then others that have come and gone in my life.

Kim and Sue <3 what a wonderful option!

Tracey I too was staggered by the children's rate. I was so unaware growing up of so many things that thoughts like that never occurred to me. There have been 3 times in my adult life that I have planned. I am happy I didn't proceed, but am also thankful for meds to help now. I don't know what the fix is. Kids are exposed to so much more than I was. Video games, lack of family, news, lack of respect, confusion....the list goes on. It is a sad state of affairs. My oldest daughter recognized the symptoms in her son and sought help. He is almost 16 and spectrum autistic and Turrets. He is athletic and loving. He is a victim of bullying. He has been on meds for over a year and doing well. His dad was like all secretive about it, but my grandson told him there is no shame in needing help. Proud Grandma moment. His younger sister homeschooling last year partially for the bullying. This is a somewhat rural school system, so I was shocked.

Need to check emails since sitting in hot tub. Day 3! Yay! DH happy! Body happy!

TTFN,
    Kylia in cooled down Ohio trying to remember which monkeys are in my circus