WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    [b

Lisa-I did get a chuckle out of your VW heater-not because you are cold-when I was in college (back in the 770's) he VW Beetles were notorious for heaters going out! Yourstory brought back an image from a college parking lot and us cursing the cold! Congrats on new car!!!!! I love the color,

Busy day-tired after meetings-they take a lot of energy on my part. Came home, got internet issue settled. New service I was testing cancelled. Received email for return of equipment. Will take to UPS store Friday at lunch time. Old service still here-got price reduced to match Spectrum (it's almost like they knew I had a spectrum tab open on computer). So-will leave as is. I have an email address through ATT that many folks have and I don't know if I would lose that if I cancel the internet and email. I am working on transitioning away from it (it is actually an old Yahoo) and I get so much spam/junk from it. Maybe this will motivate me to follow up on cleaning up and separating email accounts before I move.

Need to go get kitchen cleaned up-it is a wreck. Had a good walk. Ate dinenr and caught up with you all.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

My old '68 Mustang had a problem with the heater so when I would drive the 45 min to see now current dh, I would plug in one of those seat warmer/back massagers in to the cigerette lighter to stay warm for the drive.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,906 Member
    Options
    7aufgr80fy5u.png
  • Machka9
    Options
    Looks like the eye of Heather's storm is just off the coast.

kmwgwixvg6p4.png
  • Machka9
    Options
    This pretty much sums it up ...

Cycling
    Colouring
    Gardening

gzj4cqp4lf6m.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,716 Member
    Options
    Went over to see Tracy and Miles
    She thinks I should just keep the car and drive it till it dies..
    But I really want to have something that at this stage of the game isn't going to start going to pot and need things done to it all the time.
    So im between a rock and a hard place..with buying one i have an asset ,leasing one I don't. I dont want to finance one would rather buy one outright and maybe haggle a bit..but if I don't have a car to trade in.. that makes it all the harder.
    Geesh im in a pickle.. any recommendations ladies?I would love to hear what you got. Now i am not flush with money and would have to take it out and pay taxes on it.. but at least I would have a good running car that wouldn't need work for a good long while.
    HELP 😆
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,170 Member
    Options
    Barbie: Thanks for the new month.

☘️
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Kim,no biggies in the last year except for new tires and back brakes..it needs new wiper blades but other than that,i take it in for oil changes when its needed and all.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,353 Member
    Options
    CarolGaGal wrote: »
    This is the maple tree seen from my kitchen window that son and I planted 30 yrs ago!

ua7io8f1vl0m.png

Carol - when and IF I ever get that teleporter out of the shop, I'll zip down your way and have a cup of tea with you on that lovely porch. <3

Lanette B)
  • CarolGaGal
    CarolGaGal Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Allie ~ How old is your car? Sometimes we do things on impulse when we need to stop, think, and ponder. Do I need a new car or do I just want a new car?

Just my thoughts!
    Carol in GA
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,353 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    But I really want to have something that at this stage of the game isn't going to start going to pot and need things done to it all the time.
    So im between a rock and a hard place..with buying one i have an asset ,leasing one I don't. I dont want to finance one would rather buy one outright and maybe haggle a bit..but if I don't have a car to trade in.. that makes it all the harder.
    Geesh im in a pickle.. any recommendations ladies?I would love to hear what you got. Now i am not flush with money and would have to take it out and pay taxes on it.. but at least I would have a good running car that wouldn't need work for a good long while.
    HELP 😆

Allie - what kind of car do you have right now? Sometimes I just sit down and make a list of pros and cons when I'm considering a big money purchase - that's what I did when I was considering getting rid of my 2 older cars last summer and shopping for a newer SUV.

I ended up deciding to keep the old cars. Put about $2500 total in the Subaru. It would have been 3 car payments on the newer Toyota SUV I was drawn to and payments I'd be making for 4 years.

And now I'm done putting money in that Sube for hopefully many years. The old Camry is running great and gets me around town just fine.

In your case, you know your budget. You have an idea of future bills that will need to be paid. You know your income. If you spend a certain amount on a new car, will you have to cut back or cut out other things you like to do? Will you be able to have a reserve if something goes haywire with the new car and isn't covered by a warranty? Can your mechanic tell you what to anticipate going wrong with your old car and what it would cost to repair it? The owner's manual might give you some clues.

Those kinds of questions. Good luck. I know these decisions can be hard!

And one more thing.... can you just let the pot soak for a couple weeks or a month? Is there a need to decide right now? I'm thinking of Lisa who researched and planned the eventual purchase of her new car for months and got a really nice one!

Lanette B)

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    Barbie Thank you for our clean slate
    Rita Three things to do this month 1) Write Christmas cards 2) Enjoy Thanksgiving 3) Make more time for fun!

My calendar in my bathroom for November says "You are worthy of all the good stuffs!"

Halloween- It was so COLD! We don't have trick or treaters as we live in too rural of an area. I sort of miss the days of going with the grand kids, but they are all now teens. I did wear my cat ear head band that has a witches hat on it to work. The customers liked it!

I feel like another year has flown by. I really need to figure out how to make more of my years. For whatever reason, time passing by is playing heavy on my mind.......

Allie I think many of the ladies have offered many insights. You have a lot of pros and cons to weigh. Need vs want. Cost vs budget. Peace of mind or worries. Let us know what you decide when you decide. You know what you are comfortable with.

Healing thoughts!
    Welcomes!
    Thankful for all of you!

Day one of Thankful November, I am thankful to be a part of this community of caring and supportive ladies!

Much Love,
    Kylia in not quite as cold Ohio
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Thank you ladies
    All valid points.. yes im impulsive sometimes, and would I like a new car sure.,do I need a new car no..I am taking it in friday to my mechanic to have it looked over.see if it needs anything. I have no car payments and having a car payment wouldn't be great.
    Plus the taxes here in Ct suck wind.
    I dont drive very far but im putting 60.00 dollars in the tank every other week.it would be nice to get something with a bit better gas mileage.
    Im going to weigh my options. Take a test drive tomorrow. And do alot of praying and thinking...
    Thanks ladies 😉
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,494 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Barbie thanks for the fresh start, and Brava for Annie letting you sleep (almost) through the night. Sounds like you found a good match in the trainer.
    Belated welcome @B23_Kate in TN, and congrats on taking off 70 lbs, well done!
    Rebecca :love: the pics, and the sneaky grandma swim lessons. ;)
    Tracey couldn’t find the 8th fire documentary on Amazon Prime nor at my library, so requested they get it. Fingers Xd.
    Lanette, Ah, YouTube, now why didn’t I think of that? “How can it be 50 years zipped past?” Amen, sister, amen. Attagal Rosie! Yah, if any bad actors heard Tumble’s frenzied barking or Shadow’s deeply impressive “Woof Woof Woof” (she barks with her whole 60 lb body), they’d surely decide to mosey on down the lane… ;)
    Rosemarie bless you for fostering Momma, Shirley and the 2 boys. When my Petunia was a very very sick kitten, I put a dab of Gerber’s trained chicken or turkey on her tongue. The day she pushed my finger away and started to clean herself was the day I knew she’d survive.
    Rita thanks for that link about the benefits of Aloe Vera. Didn’t know it was antifungal too, will try it on my persistent belly fold sweat rash. My one plant that produced off shoots now have five. Unfortunately they’re taking up too much space on the plant shelf if my study. Will try transplanting a couple outside on the southern exposure of the powerline easement and pray they survive the winter and the wet … ;)
    Sue once I got a car with heated seats I was hooked. Now no longer a luxury but a necessity ;)
    Speaking of cars, I’ve never found one I could sit high enough in to easily see over the hood. At a long legged, short waisted, 4’10” I always have to sit on a cushion. Even the adjustable seats just don’t go high enough. Any suggestions? I drive a 2014 Ford Escape… for now ;)
    Annie my one NSV lately is that this year I bought NO (zero, zilch, nada) Hallowe’en candy.
    Okie :love: the Hallowe’en pic!

Whew finally through October. Summary and November catchup tomorrow.
    10/31: Move: 2 sets PT w/d, chair yoga, dogs to powerline, Jeopardy walking. Steps:8061
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=17 CI<CO net=532 vits=0.75
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AD, AF, ptT, ptS, Wt: 132.5

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    October: Move more: chair yoga, line dance, dailyish PT, play with dogs.
    Fuel better: less sugar, dailyish vitamins.
    Live NOW: dailyish time with Joe, readings. Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2023: Be of good cheer.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,565 Member
    Options
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,567 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    HELP 😆

You and I are of similar ages. I agree with Tracy. Save your money. A car should not be considered an asset because of depreciation.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Allie - Take your time, baby girl, you'll make the right decision when you're ready. I will say, when we bought the Kicks we used the trade-in amount as well as paid 20 percent in cash. It kept us from having to put out an excessive amount right now, and we will decide as we go whether to pay it out slowly with low payments or pay it off within a year or so, as we have done with financed vehicles in the past.