WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,058 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Allie I bought by 2017 Malibu seven years ago and sold my old car to Mary who I miss here. She was the one who did kettle weights. I liked my old car. I had it for twelve years. I upgraded because I wanted all the safety features. The alerts for telling me the cars are approaching and there is an object in my path have saved me from numerous fender benders. I do feel safer with all the added air bags.

I bought it in December that is actually a good time to buy a new car and waiting until near the end of the month because the dealer is more apt to give you a deal because of quotas. They have more pressure to sell a vehicle.

One thing to consider is renewal tabs. Here the cost is based on what the Manufactor charges for the car not what you pay for it. My car is seven years old and they still value it more than what I paid for it. I did protest this to no avail.

The tabs are only part of what it cost to own a car. Insurance is another cost. Having all the safety features and taking the over 55 course and implementing the work waiver saved a bit on insurance.

Then there is of course maintenance and gas.

So I agree with others owning a car is expensive enough without adding a car payment or taking money out of savings. Right now interest on savings is higher than it has been in years. On what you spend on a decent car 20,000-40,000 you could be making 1000-2000 a year.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,564 Member
    Options
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Hello again. I have a different sort of question now. I need to get some sort of caregiver alert system. The simplest, cheapest and most reliable would be to get a bunch of handbells. The pager systems have a call bell on a lanyard then a receiver that plugs in. Or there's the whole baby monitor option. I'm not sure my mother would actually use any of these; she hasn't used the nurse call button yet at her rehab. But I could at least put a handbell in the bathrooms. What do you all think?

Annie in Delaware
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,633 Member
    Options
    Barbie -
    That neighbor has a weird idea of being helpful... I wish we lived closer you could use my dryer!!!!

Kim in N. California
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Went over to see Tracy and Miles
    She thinks I should just keep the car and drive it till it dies..
    But I really want to have something that at this stage of the game isn't going to start going to pot and need things done to it all the time.
    So im between a rock and a hard place..with buying one i have an asset ,leasing one I don't. I dont want to finance one would rather buy one outright and maybe haggle a bit..but if I don't have a car to trade in.. that makes it all the harder.
    Geesh im in a pickle.. any recommendations ladies?I would love to hear what you got. Now i am not flush with money and would have to take it out and pay taxes on it.. but at least I would have a good running car that wouldn't need work for a good long while.
    HELP 😆

I would buy the used one at only 1,500 miles outright. With leasing, you will, at end of lease, have to give it back or pay more money to keep it. At least if you but it using your 401K, you will most likely get a lot of those taxes back when you do your income tax yet. I double you make enough to pay the full tax. You will at first, but get it in a refunds if I’m not mistaken. I took money out of my 401K before and if I remember right, got some of those initial taxes back when I filed income tax. Also with leasing, no trade in if you ever do want to change vehicle. You have one now right? With that trade in, you may not have to pay as much as you think.

RVRita
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,465 Member
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Allie-I agree you need to do what is right for you. I personally would be nervous about pulling out of a 401 k for car-but I don't know your overall financial situation.
    I purchased my new CRV after my much older Toyota Rav and a rear end accident. The vehicle was getting old and I didn't feel comfortable. Went car shopping with son, bought the same car he did (different color) on impulse and sense of discomfort with current. After having it for a couple of years (maybe 4?) I really did not like how the seat felt-much too hard for me, just not comfortable driving. I still drive a goodly amount each month to Columbus for work (100 miles average round trip) and a decent drive to see grandkids). Mileage wasn't an issue-it was my hips! They were replaced but I wanted comfort. Come 2021 they were giving a trade in just shy of equal what I paid for CRV and found my Subaru. I have a much smaller car payment now and am happy with choice. I got 0% financing for three years and am still paying it off sooner. I plan on it being my last new car. While I did not need it I am happy with my choice and view it as part of my retirement plan.

Heather-glad your house survived the storm! I don't quite understand the UK tax system, but I would hate to miss a deadline-glad you are addressing issue.

Rori-your life sound so rich and exciting.

Rebecca-except for utilities (which come from bank account), I make all other on-line payments with credit card then take that payment out of checking. It is an extra step but I feel safer that way (doesn't mean it is) and makes for easier balancing for me.

Pip-good luck with the Marathon. I think it is terrific you are participating even if you don't feel your training is where it normally is.

All I can think of now. Need to get ready for the day. Going to Columbus for meeting, but with a good group. Will take some personal time off after meeting (have to use some vacation time).

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

We've been doing that for all our gas charges. For our trip to son, we paid from the credit card, and then just paid that off yesterday. We got a credit card just a couple of months ago. Just as a backup if ever there was an emergency, but until then its been like $150 or less, which is fairly easy to pay. The fact that we just put CC by the charges in the register helps us to not charge more than is comfortable.👍🏼
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    So I did not balance my checkbook today. I'm $127 off and I know its some Amazon things that have not cleared, but those sort of things drive me batty! I will try to balance it next week.
    Today found the cutest squishy fluffy pillow in the shape of a bowl of ramen. Christmas present for eldest.💖
    tv485wbvtcp9.jpg
    I also bought a new calendar. Its Japanese block prints photos. So pretty. If any of you have calendars, please send them my way. I make envelopes out of them, or cut photos from them for stationery.💖. Just send me a private message on here and I will give you my address. Much appreciated!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

Rebecca-Thanks for the reminder about calendars. I have some to send you, but we have to be friends on MFP to exchange messages. I will send a request to you. I get several freebies from various organizations and I only use 1.

Tina in CA
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,465 Member
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    So I did not balance my checkbook today. I'm $127 off and I know its some Amazon things that have not cleared, but those sort of things drive me batty! I will try to balance it next week.
    Today found the cutest squishy fluffy pillow in the shape of a bowl of ramen. Christmas present for eldest.💖
    tv485wbvtcp9.jpg
    I also bought a new calendar. Its Japanese block prints photos. So pretty. If any of you have calendars, please send them my way. I make envelopes out of them, or cut photos from them for stationery.💖. Just send me a private message on here and I will give you my address. Much appreciated!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

Rebecca-Thanks for the reminder about calendars. I have some to send you, but we have to be friends on MFP to exchange messages. I will send a request to you. I get several freebies from various organizations and I only use 1.

Tina in CA

I will look for your friends request on here today.😁. Thanks!
  • kevrit
    Options
    2023 New Ways November

Word of the Year: appreciate—Today I appreciate ‘Sunshine on my shoulders’
    Meditation: daily. 0/30 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 0/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) /8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min /20

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%,100%,100%).
    79 days SOBER!
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%—6458,92%,-6847,98%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks /2 (10,00%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 223/208—(733%,100% My mom called me for a change.)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)82/94 (10,00%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4, 172.2, 173.2 (600%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 0/23 (681%,100,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 44/12
    (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 10/12—(1000%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (1000%) I put the money in, but end up taking it out.
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,0,0,0
    500%) This has stopped. Spending too much.

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met——99%
    October met —90.7%
    November met—
    December met—

1. Make a list of new things you want to do this month. 1. Start Christmas shopping, 2. Work on my happiness, 3. Walk the mall at least once. 4. Read a new book
    2. Respond to a difficult situation in a different way. I will see what comes up, but the daily readings I do have helped a lot already!
    Get outside and observe the changes in nature around you..
    4. Sign up to join a new course, activity, or online community.
    5. Change your normal routine today and notice how you feel.
    6. Try out a new way of being physically active.
    7. Be creative. Cook, draw, write, paint, make or inspire.
    8. Plan a new idea or activity you want to try out this year.
    9. When you feel you can’t do something, add the word ‘yet’.
    10. Be curious, learn about a new topic or an inspiring idea.
    11. Choose a different route and see what you notice on the way.
    12. Find out something new about someone you care about.
    13. Do something playful outdoors - walk, run, explore, relax.
    14. Find a new way to help or support a cause you care about.
    15. Build on new ideas by thinking “yes, and what if…”
    16. Look at life at someone else’s eyes and see their perspective.
    17. Try a new way to practice self-care and be kind to yourself.
    18. Connect with someone from a different generation.
    19. Broaden your perspective: read a different paper, magazine, or site.
    20. Make a meal using a recipe or ingredient you haven’t used before.
    21. Learn a new skill from a friend or share one of yours with them.
    22. Find a new way to tell someone you appreciate them.
    23. Set aside a time to pursue an activity your love.
    24. Share with a friend something useful you learned recently.
    25. Use one of your strengths in a new and creative way.
    26. Try out a different radio station or new TV show.
    27. Join a friend doing a hobby and find out why they love it.
    28. Discover your creative side. Design a friendly greeting card.
    29. Enjoy new music today. Play, sing, dance or listen.
    30. Look for new reasons to be hopeful, even in tough times.

RVRita in Roswell, NM
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    tv485wbvtcp9.jpg
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

Tina in CA

I will look for your friends request on here today.😁. Thanks!

I sent it. Hopefully, I didn't typo your name!
  • kevrit
    Options
    And Today Is: Dias de Los Muertes! And Have your men cook day! Mine loves to cook and does it every day!

mj8wgx2fmhvc.png
    x8pbhloe2e0c.jpeg
    bz4t2noi0nm0.jpeg

RVRita in NM
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    <3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,058 Member
    Options
    I had a neighbor I had to say no to. The neighbor next to son's house is having another neighbor build a retaining wall out of rock cemented together. She started about two months ago and I told her she could use my outside outlet for her vacuum and light if she had to work in the dark. The neighbor outside outlet consists of an extension cord plugged somewhere in their home. To get to the plug you have to go through their black raspberries that have thorns. Thus I volunteered my outdoor plug. Now it is getting cold and she is talking about using a space heater. One they can do use more electricity, two that outlet is connected to the dehumidifier pump to my furnace a space heater can pop a circuit breaker, (I had this happen last year and a 450 bill later to find out that was the problem), third space heaters ideally are not run on an extension cord and she would have to use one. So I said no space heater use on my outside outlet.

Barbie Perhaps the neighbor does not want to let anyone into their laundry area for various reasons. They could be embarrassed at the state that it is in. If you had a different request they might be more than willing to help.