WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Rita, If your husband can't decide what to eat, just choose what you want.
    <3 Barbie

This wasn’t me! My DH does all the cooking. Italian background so everything revolves around food for him. No wonder I can’t lose weight! 😜
    RVRita
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,348 Member
    Options
    Well if husband really doesn't care I'd probably make him a cheap hamburger and myself a steak and see if that results in a behavior change! :D

But seriously, I think we can put too much thought into food sometimes. I do like changing up meals some, but I frequently cook several meals of something and eat it for dinner each night. Lunch is either a salad or yogurt with honey, hemp seeds, and cherries. Is it Barbie who frequently mention how freeing being rid of decision fatigue is?

Have a good rest of your Sunday (or start to whatever day it is for you!)

Ginny in Ohio
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :)Ginny, yes, I'm the one who caught hold of the term "decision fatigue". I wear similar clothing and eat similar food. I rotate food and clothing so each day isn't exactly the same but I don't spend time dreaming up new stuff. :)

:)Rita, yes, I knew you had a question but I mixed up what it was. How wonderful that your husband cooks and how frustrating that he doesn't take your needs into consideration in the preparation. When Jake's doctor told him to limit sodium and potassium we spent a long time making changes in what foods we ate.

:)Rosemarie, feeding those puppies must be a huge challenge. Our one puppy is almost six months old and the middle of the night going out has been a challenge to our sleep. At least she is old enough to eat only morning and evening. Puppies are a huge commitment and exhausting.

:) My Sunday walking friend is home from her month long trip to Texas and England and we had a wonderful walk this morning.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,314 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Did the Abs Diet Workout DVD. It’s OK, I think I’ll keep it. Then took my walk around the neighborhood. Looked at my pedometer and it’s 3 miles. I thought it was only 2 Then to WalMart

Rosemarie – I usually write my Christmas cards right after Thanksgiving. I save the cards from the year before and only send to people who sent me a card or elderly people who just can't write. Once every few years I don’t send them out until later. This way I can “weed” out the people who only send me a card because I sent one to them. That’s wonderful that you are fostering those pups. How much longer will you have them? I do enjoy volunteering at the soup kitchen. Makes me feel good to be helping someone. However, this past Friday I had a sad moment. One of the guests said to me “you’ve been here a long time”. That means that he’s also been coming a long time. I tell you, 99.999% of the people are so very nice and grateful.

Lisa – in one sense, I really don’t like this time of year. I’m not a fan of putting on pants in the morning, changing to shorts in the afternoon, then pants back on for the evening.

Still looking for that bowling decal. Didn’t get to make the bed up in the back bedroom because I got busy with searching eBay for one – didn’t find one, tho Update: I did check out facebook. Hope I get some responses.

Joy and everyone else finished with Christmas shopping – I envy you all.

Got around to making up the bed and also got out the Christmas gifts I had bought and inventoried them to see what else I have to get. Making chocolate bran muffins right now

Heather you always have such a wonderful smile. Looks like you all really enjoyed yourselves

Tracey – you are so very talented. Lovely speaker. To me, Christmas decorating in a short sleeved shirt is the ultimate. Well, it would be better with shorts on, but you can’t have everything!

SeriusXM (?sp) has a TransSiberian Orchestra channel. So now I can listen to them lots.

Vince doesn’t really care what we have for dinner. As long as it’s bland. Sometimes I make something with spices in the breading and he’ll always take the breading off. Too bad for him. His idea of a balanced diet would be cereal for breakfast, sandwich of bologna or other deli meat and hamburger/hot dog for dinner. And for variety we’d have spaghetti.

Off to take a shower and then get to bed.

Michele NC
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Good Evening,
    Well, it was a productive day. Not necessarily everything I "needed" to get done, but lots that needed done. Things I have done well this week:
    10k steps 6 out of 7 days! One I was driving 8 hours. Exercised 7 out of 7 days! Got in hot tub 5 out of 7 days. One I was in Kentucky so no hot tub there. I washed my face twice a day 6 out of 7 days. Forgot in evening on day I was driving. Good thing I don't wear make up. I got paperwork all sorted and put away. Got small projects done at farm. Got lots of Christmas shopping done online tonight. A couple of things for DH, two grands totally bought for, the other two started, oldest daughter started. I have some ideas for others. I have taken my magnesium and potassium every day since I got the chewables. I will call this week a successful one!

Meals- Decision fatigue for sure! We generally have breakfast once or twice a week for dinner usually when we are later getting home. My DH would also eat burgers every night. When he really wants one, we go out. The only burgers I cook are bison ones. We like fish, but I don't cook it. So again, eat out. I like variety, but could be meatless more than one night a week. I am just tired when we get home from work so it has to be faster and not complicated. I do make a few things that he will actually eat leftovers of.

Lisa Love the sunset! I cut up leaves at our place again tonight until it got too dark to see.

Heather You do have a great smile. I am glad you have had a good week visiting with friends.

Tracey Love the radio!

Rita Cross stitch, writing, a new language...

Rosemarie I am sure as tiring as the puppies have been, you all have been good for each other! Enjoy your beach.

I know there was more I wanted to say but it is bedtime.

Have a restful night and a great Monday!

<3
    Kylia back in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,107 Member
    Options
    CarolGaGal wrote: »
    Strange...I deleted my history on Windows 11 and when I logged back into MFP it was in French! LOL. Learned how to change it back to English.

Rosemarie ~ Enjoy your weekend at the beach. I know you must get tired of feeding the pups, but, the cuddles make up for it in the end.

Allie ~ Miles and his lawn mower are so cute!

What do you do when you give your partner choices for dinner and they just tell you it doesn't matter. This is a daily thing at my house. My DH would live on hot dogs, spaghetti, and hamburgers if he had the choice.

Carol in GA

My husband asks me what I want for dinner and I tell him, "whatever you want to make!" :)

Thing is, I order the groceries and I order what I like so it doesn't matter to me. Whatever he pulls out of the freezer will be something I like.

The only time it matters is if my stomach isn't happy.

Try just making what you like.

Or you could do what my mother did and write up a 2 or 3 week schedule which you would repeat over and over.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Well if husband really doesn't care I'd probably make him a cheap hamburger and myself a steak and see if that results in a behavior change! :D

But seriously, I think we can put too much thought into food sometimes. I do like changing up meals some, but I frequently cook several meals of something and eat it for dinner each night. Lunch is either a salad or yogurt with honey, hemp seeds, and cherries. Is it Barbie who frequently mention how freeing being rid of decision fatigue is?

Have a good rest of your Sunday (or start to whatever day it is for you!)

Ginny in Ohio

Yes, I eat the same thing for lunch every day.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    CarolGaGal wrote: »
    Strange...I deleted my history on Windows 11 and when I logged back into MFP it was in French! LOL. Learned how to change it back to English.

Rosemarie ~ Enjoy your weekend at the beach. I know you must get tired of feeding the pups, but, the cuddles make up for it in the end.

Allie ~ Miles and his lawn mower are so cute!

What do you do when you give your partner choices for dinner and they just tell you it doesn't matter. This is a daily thing at my house. My DH would live on hot dogs, spaghetti, and hamburgers if he had the choice.

Carol in GA

My husband asks me what I want for dinner and I tell him, "whatever you want to make!" :)

Thing is, I order the groceries and I order what I like so it doesn't matter to me. Whatever he pulls out of the freezer will be something I like.

The only time it matters is if my stomach isn't happy.

Try just making what you like.

Or you could do what my mother did and write up a 2 or 3 week schedule which you would repeat over and over.

Machka in Oz

BTW - there's nothing wrong with homemade spaghetti and hamburgers. :)

We don't eat much meat, so I order veggie burgers, nice buns, lettuce and tomatoes for our "hamburgers". Plus we have a side of salad, some of which comes from our garden.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Christmas Presents - my adult family has decided among ourselves not to exchange gifts. We don't know each other very well because we're all in different countries, so we don't know what might be needed or wanted. We're also at the age where we're thinking about downsizing and decluttering, so the last thing any of us want is some trinket we'll just have to donate later.

I may send an Amazon gift card to my brother to be used for books or movies that his kids would enjoy.

And my husband's sister likes making art, so we may give her something for making art ... paint, clay, gift card, etc. Or take her out for dinner.

We may go out to dinner with our son & daughter-in-law ... and give a few cute outfits to our gorgeous little granddaughter. I collect outfits year round.

And there's the $10 office exchange gift. :)

I think that's it.

Christmas Cards - I'll probably send a card to my parents. I'm not sure if I'll do any other cards.

A number of my family have mentioned the environmental impact of cards, and have indicated that they would prefer not to receive them.

Christmas Cooking - I usually make a pavlova during the Christmas week, but have just ordered my first lot of mince tarts. Mangos are also coming into season, so I've purchased one of those.

Christmas Decorations - This part, I enjoy. So I'll be putting up decorations on or about December 1. :)

I also enjoy Christmas music and going to a Christmas event or two.

I like to keep it pretty simple and spend the 10 or so days off at Christmas doing things like cycling, walking and going to the beach. :)

Machka in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,403 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

It's going to be a fabulous week. <3 Just because.

Kylia - with all of your walking, are you noticing any change in mood? I'm not sure if it's the endorphins, making myself be outside more and seeing the sky, evergreens, getting the fresh air. My legs feel stronger and overall things seem brighter despite the cloudy rainy days.

Rita - would something like weaving, latch hooking or some type of fiber arts appeal to you? I've been thinking of getting one of those little potholder looms that use stretchy cotton loops. Walmart has plastic ones for $8 with loops, Amazon has large metal ones with loops for $32 if a person gets serious about it. :) I could make a couple mug rugs.

It just occurred to me that a person can knit or crochet any type of fiber, doesn't have to be yarn. Twine, strips of cloth - worn out sheets, etc. My grandmother used to crochet rugs from strips from grandfather's worn out overalls. Hmm.....

Lisa - beautiful sunset and how exciting to see the construction project moving right along. Love your pottery, can't wait to see how everything looks once its fired. :)

Rosemarie - hope you have a great time at the beach. How long will you be fostering - until they are weaned? I wouldn't mind having a job cuddling puppies, lol. Our schnoodle Sophie was a cuddler, always wanted to be in our laps, sleep with us. Rotten Rosie the schnauzer is too independent and prefers to spend her time sitting in her chair by the front window and watching the neighborhood, barking at cars, neighbors, leaves blowing, etc. She takes a ride to the groomer tomorrow. That should wear her out. She'll get a CBD treat to help keep her calm. Looking forward to it. :p

I'm following the conversation regarding turmeric. Have any of you tried CuraMed? Supposedly a lot stronger than most curcumin supplements? I used it for a while several years ago - at the time, it seemed to hurt my stomach. I just remembered I had a new bottle of it stuck away. My feet were cranky last night so I took an ibuprofen and slept great. I'm going to try a CuraMed with supper next time and see how it does since I'm not a big fan of Ibuprofen or Acetaminaphin for that matter. I see the current price on Amazon for CureMed is a lot less than I paid at the health food store.

Planning to walk with my neighbor this morning if the weather permits as some rain is hanging around. She's had company staying at her house the past few days, in town for a wedding. One of the guests is her SIL who is a handful so she's looking to get out of the house and vent, lol. I don't mind, I always feel grateful that people don't ask to use my house as a motel when they need a place to stay. :p

Make it a wonderful day! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Not much going on here.

Annie in Delaware
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Good morning to all, as the dawn breaks in middle America,

I guess I kinda started the whole Christmas discussion, but then, it's 42 days away now, so it wasn't too early. 🤶🏻I do need to send a message to our son and daughter. I texted them to tell them a package was coming, but I needed to remind them NOT to buy things in return. What I sent them was just small stuff that appealed to me as something they would like - a leather-bound journal for my son and fingerless gloves for his fiancee, a coffee cup for my son-in-law that said "Thanks for not selling my daughter to the circus," and a journal for my daughter with a message on the leather cover that tells her how proud we are of her. Small things that I don't think they would buy for themselves.

This year, I was in the mood. Next year, I probably won't be. I'm still working on the crocheted lap blanket that I'm making for my oldest grandson, and my daughter has already received the choices I made from their wish lists for the other two grands and is hiding them for Christmas Day. Corey says my Christmas present is getting the sunroom finished before that day, and I would be quite happy with that.

When Corey and I were first married, I sent out a Christmas newsletter enclosed in a card every year, partly because we changed addresses all the time, and it was the easiest way to give people our current address. Plus, the kids were still doing interesting things at that time. After Johnny went into the Air Force, we were much more boring, so I quit with the newsletter, and then the cards trickled to a halt as well... His family would probably think something was wrong if they got mail from us now.

As far as the celebration is concerned, it will be two more three-day weekends for Corey, as Christmas and New Year's Day both land on a Monday this year. If the grandkids were here, I'd put up a tiny Christmas tree, more for their sensibilities than ours. We will just enjoy the days together and skip the fooforaw.

Headed for the gastroenterologist at noon for a follow-up.

More later,
    Love y'all!
    Lisa in AR