WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,458 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving visitors - the view from the new sunroom:
    f2w9v6rm7qzb.png

Lisa - is the sunroom finished? How neat to see your "neighbors" up close. :)

Lanette

Hee! No... Don't have a pic that's quite up to the minute, but two walls are up... and a door is on, but Egg is walking right through the other walls. This was just taken while we sat waiting for the grill to heat up for dinner. Lovely and serene and quiet...
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,240 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,038 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Hey all! I am not sure what it is, but I just feel like there are not enough hours in the day, anymore! lol

Me too!! I've just been slammed with things to do all of a sudden!!
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    DH got me some slippers (2 pairs!) for my birthday. They are nice and have a lot of cush in the heel area. I know to some of you it may not sound like a lot; but the fact that my DH is even acknowledging my birthday is remarkable. He is a very pessimistic person and feels birthdays mean you are one year closer to death. He doesn't like the acknowledgment for his. In the mean time, he is married to me. The person who celebrates herself and her age on a daily basis. lol

I am sending lots of love and hugs to all of you! Though I might not mention you here, you are all on my thoughts every day! Welcome new ladies! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

Happy Birthday!

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Well, my mom has an upset belly, so the two of us are staying home today. She is refusing water, tea and the belly meds. I'm worried about dehydration. Hope this turns out okay.

Annie in Delaware

Talk to your home care nurse.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Good morning ladies,

Ginny - Luna is adorable, thanks for posting that photo. Good luck at the podiatrist today. Sounds like you've firmed up where your retirement residence will be. ;)

Michele - you are the energizer bunny doing all of that cooking in one day. :p It's been hard for me to get used to calling anyone a "partner" unless it's in the business sense such as investors in legal partnership. That's what I think of first when someone uses the term. And yes, "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" when the couple is older seems awkward. "Significant other" sums it up in a way I can understand. That's what I'd probably say if I had a special guy in my life at this stage. Or maybe just "good buddy." Fascinating how language has evolved in the past 50 years, but then it probably has always been that way. I'm sure our parents and grandparents noticed the same thing.

Heather - gosh that was a beautiful dress, you looked stunning. But I understand, why keep it around. I went through the stage of giving way all my dresses and skirts several years ago. They were cute but no longer fit and just weren't comfortable because I'd have to wear panty hose. :s Good riddance. And gals were wearing pants everywhere, even church and weddings. I have some nice dressy tops and call it good.

Now I'm curious about reverse lunges. I looked them up. I'd have to hang on to something because of my dicey feet but I can see how they'd be helpful.

Barbara
    - a bench overlooking the ocean sounds wonderful. Good for Joe! Like many of our husbands, my DH also begged off going to places with me as he got older. He was perfectly fine staying home and watching TV with the dogs while I went to parties or dinners out with couple friends. The other husbands there probably were jealous and wondered how he pulled it off. :p Glad to hear you'll be able to enjoy a Thanksgiving meal with your friend.

Rebecca - your sister's place is beautiful. It's good she can handle the equipment to keep it up. I'd probably just blow the leaves off the driveway once they have all fallen and call it good, lol. I still have leaves strewn all over the front yard where I blew them last week. My neighbor 2 doors down was mowing over his leaves for about half an hour yesterday, really mulching them down. It was 45F here with a stiff breeze coming out of the north so with the wind chill, it was probably around 40F. I thought - have at it, buddy. If it gets into the mid-50's again I might take the big mower out and mulch them if the soil isn't too soft, but then maybe not.

Barbie - glad Jake is OK. Yesterday after throwing Rosie's toys down the hallway for the 50th time, I thought I bet there'd be interest if I set up a small greyhound type track with a mechanical rabbit that dogs could chase to wear them out. Maybe $2 a minute, $10 minimum. Plus a little illegal betting on the side to help boost my retirement income, lol. I'd let Annie chase it for free. ;)

Cleaner coming this morning at 9, and hour later than normal. I think she has PT for her plantar fasciitis or something. I'm slightly put out because it throws me off schedule. Then I remind myself I don't have to be anywhere so what's the big deal? And I enjoy her company so much, any time she wants to come by really is perfect. :D

So will close for now. Make it a good day!

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

I have chatted to my sister about the commitment she's taken on, living in that 1875 home. Her son put a video camera up by the door so he can be notified of any movement. The other morning she wrote GOOD MORNING on a piece of cardboard and showed it to the camera. 😁 I think it will give her some peace of mind knowing her family is keeping track of her a bit. I talked to her about really listening at what she's capable of doing as she gets older. She's 68 presently. I told her that I realize weeding puts her into a Zen mode, but she weeds until the day is over and she can barely walk the next day. Also does she really want the responsibility of caring for everything, and not traveling or feel like she doesn't have the freedom to do that if she wants to?
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

She's only 68 ... lots of life left!

Perhaps she really enjoys living in and taking care of the place where she lives. It is gorgeous from the photos you've posted. I can see the attraction.

And they say that being outdoors and gardening is good for the body and the brain.

She's got time to enjoy it for several more years, at least.

M in Oz

Oh yes! Most definitely! I am of the opinion that a home is just a nice thing to come back to, and didnt want all the responsibilities to ever be obligatory for her. She did have 10 years with her husband, 5 of those being married. Neither of the kids want the responsibilities of any of it, but still want the farm to be in good standing with the rest of the farming co-op. To my eyes she is the caretaker of the property where the house sits, but doesn't have much sayso, nor get any of the credit of managing the homestead.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

She probably looks at it differently.

We all have different perspectives. :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    ginadacat wrote: »
    Happy Thanksgiving to those like me in the U.S.

I just got done doing a new incline workout on the treadmill for 25 minutes. 4 sets starting at a 2 incline going up to 8 on the 4th set. You do 1 minute and 30 second intervals with speed between 2.0 and 3.5. It definitely got my heart rate up. This evening I’ll just do a normal treadmill walk. I figured it will help some after eating lots of good food which I plan on eating in moderation.

I hope everyone enjoys time with your family and to always be thankful not just on Thanksgiving.

Gina

That's great!!

I love having my treadmill on hand whenever the weather isn't very nice.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited November 2023
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate. I took a morning neighborhood walk then did a bit of leaf blowing (which is a waste of time as it’s already a mess again).

You all have inspired me. I think I’ll start clearing out the closet and dresser today. I have so many clothes that I don’t like, don’t fit anymore, and/or don’t flatter me anymore. I truly need an entirely new wardrobe. I hate going out because I don’t look nice in anything I have anymore. And we are going to dinner tonight and I’m anxious because of my wardrobe.

Maybe if I have a few things that fit better rather than many things that do nothing for me, I’ll feel better about myself. *sigh.*

The mister completed his antibiotic cycle. Hopefully he will start to feel better. I think he’s mad at me too.

Tried a new chiropractor yesterday and now I have a bit of a headache. He does the popping and I don’t care for that style. But my back feels better.

Tracey-This forum is unprotected which is why I limit what I share. I don’t know who’s reading it.

I wish they would secure it. You have to log in to comment, why not require login to read it? That baffles me.

Tina in CA

Many forums are wide open to the world for reading, but closed to members for comment. It's the way forums were designed back when they appeared on the scene a couple decades ago.

I won't go into all the details of my life on a forum either.

I also have to go through my closets, especially now that I've decided since I haven't worn a pullover sweater in years, having them just sit there and stare at me isn't accomplishing much.

M in Oz
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,997 Member
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Most of the time if she knows I cooked it she tells him to just throw it in the garbage, but if he had told her our friend made it, she would be paying him $50 for it or more( last year, we had Thanksgiving with our friends and took leftovers to MIL-told her he cooked it-she insisted she pay him for it-the same exact meal that I made for her the week or so before and she refused to eat it)

Update- as expected. She refused to eat it, he came home in even a more pissy mood than when he left.

He should always say someone else cooked it and take her money and give it to you. Nice little bit of extra money for you! :smiley:

You are far more patient with the people in your life than I am with the people in mine.

Tina in CA

I know!!!
    Yeah, I will take her money!
    I agree. Way to patient and easy going with him and his mom than I should be. Wish I could stand up to him more. Old habits die hard. Stared with first hubby and continued with this one(and this one for over 31 yrs).This is a big problem for me and things wouldn't be as bad as they are if I had spoke up years ago.

He has calmed down and is thinking a bit clearer. We will both go do the show both days. He will go over early tomorrow afternoon before we go down (show is at 3:30) and then skip Saturday. We do have a friend going over to take her trash can in so she doesn't try doing it herself again-last time ended with 911 being called for her because she wouldn't leave it out a few more hours.
    He will just deal with her attitude on Sunday.
    She knows our friends and they can check in on her if they need to. Or, they can just drive over, put her can in and leave before she knows they are there
  • Machka9
    Options
    9etjs67k8qcb.png

In our case, it's a husband-wife flu shot or COVID shot (which I need to add to my list).
    yefdh7qor6g1.png

Yep! I've gotten to love the quiet of the waiting room.
    95slb9hqozhy.png

Machka in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,507 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - When someone (especially DH) tries to tell me my reaction/opinion is wrong, I just lean forward and say it very loudly again. He doesn't like it, but it shuts him up.
    'I happen to like/feel ......' ....very loudly and determinedly. Practice it in the mirror. You are you. Just up the volume until they get the message.
    Then you can say, 'That is my opinion. Can we change the subject '.
    People rarely try to tell me how to live my life, but John occasionally disagrees with me in a way that triggers me. So I just speak much louder. The huff he gets into is his problem. He always gets over it.
    Nobody tells me how to live my life. Occasionally P, my difficult friend tries to explain something to me, ;) but I use the same technique. Leaning forward is good. I can see my other friends, G and B, do a slight smile and wince a bit. P gets over it too. :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I will practice!🤗😁
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,507 Member
    Options
    Joy1580vb wrote: »
    Rebecca, I stopped wearing makeup when the pandemic hit and have not gone back. Just use moisturizer daily and feel my skin looks and feels so much healthier.

Tracey, thanks for the facebook marketplace idea...will certainly check it out. Received a couple of my items from amazon today and one is beautiful (a lighted residence) but the other which was a figurine is broken in 3 places so will be going back. Was not packaged very well. The house came in it's own box, then inside an amazon box and was well packaged. Pleased with my snow blanket and the group of different size trees will be perfect. Think I will start setting it up soon.

Joy

I wore makeup when I was younger but only if I mixed the makeup blob with some Oil Of Olay blob. Otherwise it just made me feel claustrophobic. I don't have the greatest complexion but I am ok with that.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa