I'm back after a long absence / 60+ lbs to lose

Options
I first joined this site way back in 2011. Back then, I lost over 40 lbs and was pretty happy with my weight, even though I still was technically overweight per BMI. I've been through some heavy duty life stuff. The weight went up and down over the last decade plus, but never in such a drastic way that it freaked me out.

Fast forward to now, November 2023, and that gradual creeping up has gotten me to where my weight is now back up to my all time high of 227 lbs.

I realized I had to do something — that I just couldn't just go along the way I had been going anymore when my cold weather pants wouldn't fit. (Most of my summer shorts have always been pretty loose, so I guess that help me delude myself into thinking things hadn't gotten that bad.)

Anyway, I know what works, and that's tracking every single thing I eat. MFP works. It worked for me over a decade ago. It worked for me about 5 years ago when I needed to reverse a troubling weight gain trend. And I'm confident it will work for me now that I'm approaching 50 in a couple of years and I know perimenopause and ultimately menopause, will make it even harder to get in shape. It's time to get serious. So here I am.

I cleared out all my old friends on here many years ago so I could use some new friends to encourage me, and I am happy to encourage you, as well! ❤️

Replies

• janinemaust
    janinemaust Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! Today is day 1 for me after an 8 year absence. I am also at my heaviest. Late 50’s and it’s hard to lose weight. I have 40 pounds to lose. Like you my winter clothes aren’t fitting and I’m noticing acid reflux starting at night when I go to sleep. The only way I can lose weight is to track everything I do. You can do this!
  • maxiem7
    maxiem7 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 lbs then Covid and I found those pounds again! I WANT to get back to fit in my clothes again! Also I am a Senior with a back problem and I know my back would be happy too😊😊 Starting again today and this time I won't give up!
  • Theclevermom
    Theclevermom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi. Like most of you I have a lot of weight to lose. I am in my mid 50s and post menopausal so it’s very very hard. I started back at the end of August and have lost 20 lbs so far. 40 - 50 more to go. The best I can do is lose 1 lb a week. This past month I lost only 1/2 lb. Lots of little pieces of chocolate add up quickly. Back to logging with MFP. Looking forward to this time next year when I am at my goal weight!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! To me, a pound a week sounds really good. That's about what I averaged over my whole time of initial loss, though I went a little faster at first then slower at the end. (Really slow at the very end (on purpose)! :D ) I was 59-60 then, now 68, still hanging around here maintaining a healthy weight.

There's something to be said for going gradually, figuring out sustainable new habits one can stick with permanently to stay at a healthy weight. (Fitting in a little chocolate is one of the things I need to be able to do to stay contented, too. ;)

Best wishes for success!
  • cjohnson9799
    cjohnson9799 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey! I’m 52 and have 50 + to lose. Looking for the same in accountability partners!!
  • TheUnhealthyDad
    TheUnhealthyDad Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your journey! I'm sure you can do it again.
  • chibi_tsundoko
    chibi_tsundoko Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I first joined this site way back in 2011. Back then, I lost over 40 lbs and was pretty happy with my weight, even though I still was technically overweight per BMI. I've been through some heavy duty life stuff. The weight went up and down over the last decade plus, but never in such a drastic way that it freaked me out.

Fast forward to now, November 2023, and that gradual creeping up has gotten me to where my weight is now back up to my all time high of 227 lbs.

I realized I had to do something — that I just couldn't just go along the way I had been going anymore when my cold weather pants wouldn't fit. (Most of my summer shorts have always been pretty loose, so I guess that help me delude myself into thinking things hadn't gotten that bad.)

Anyway, I know what works, and that's tracking every single thing I eat. MFP works. It worked for me over a decade ago. It worked for me about 5 years ago when I needed to reverse a troubling weight gain trend. And I'm confident it will work for me now that I'm approaching 50 in a couple of years and I know perimenopause and ultimately menopause, will make it even harder to get in shape. It's time to get serious. So here I am.

I cleared out all my old friends on here many years ago so I could use some new friends to encourage me, and I am happy to encourage you, as well! ❤️

Feel free to add me! I am new here again and looking to support/be supported on my weight loss journey! We done this before, we got this! <3
  • L_Hayden
    L_Hayden Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just start back today also! I had a baby 3 years ago and gosh what a struggle it has been to find/make time to workout and the energy to meal prep. I have two older children 12 and 14 and all the snacks and easy temptations has me back up at a number I do not like and overall how my body looks. I am looking for motivation to get me through the holidays and into January. I know once I make it through a month I’ll stick just need that push.

I have a two week trip to Greece at the end of June and I want to feel good in my skin. Not really look at the number on the scale, although I know I can afford to lose 20/30 pounds. I just want to feel less squishy, and like how I look in clothes again.

Here’s to making time and better choices and putting myself first!