WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,356 Member
    Options
    fitte_Oma wrote: »
    Hi, I am trying to become part of the group "Women Ages 50+ For December", but I am not quite sure yet, how and where to post and how to answer a post. At the moment I am experiencing and am happy for any kind of support.
    My name ist Svenja, in my younger years I was reasonably fit and not overweight. Unfortunately both changed over the years, partly also due to illness. Now I am a happy grandma and want to get fit enough to play soccer, roll on the floor with the kids and be able to get up from the floor without help :-). Is anyone here in a similar situation? It would be great, if we could share success and failure and support each other. I want to be a "fitte Oma" (German for fit grandma). - Svenja

Wilkommen Svenja!

That's about all the German I remember from school, lol.

Some of us here do some strength exercises from the Strong Women Stay Young book. Here's a link to a information produced by the CDC that is a good compilation of the main parts of the book: (I hope you can access it.)

https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/downloads/growing_stronger.pdf

You'll find a lot of us in this group are walkers. Some of us use equipment such as treadmills. And some of us walk outside when we can or in our houses or gyms. Keeping our legs strong helps getting up from the floor. :p It's something easy to do if you are new to exercise and keeps injury risk low.

Good luck and come back often. :)

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,246 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Well, I am way behind the times, but today was the first day I have used the Alexa facility on my phone. :embarassed:
    Bea wanted us to play a Christmas song about mince pies and asked if we had an Alexa. We don't, but I thought I would see what my phone could do, as it often prompts me to ask. :p
    Wonderful! We had a great time with Christmas pop songs and then I asked her to time my pasta. Don't know where I've been all this time.!!! (John won't have a proper Alexa)
    Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,915 Member
    Options
    It's not surprising that there are so many Logisticians and/or I__Js here. :)

First of all, the ISTJ type is one of the most common.
    https://www.verywellmind.com/istj-introversion-sensing-thinking-judgment-2795992

Second, from my observations over a few different forums over the past couple decades, introverts tend to use forums more than extroverts. Extroverts tend to prefer in-person communication rather than spending time on a computer. I know that introverts like me prefer to type communication rather than speak communication.

Third, the Logistician types may tend to use computers more to fulfil our Logistician tasks.

So we tend to share some commonalities. :)

Machka in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Today’s gratitude: T’s “feelings wouldn’t be hurt if” I’d rather stay home by the fire. Was pouring down rain and windy. Sigh of relief. Joe built a nice fire and I thoroughly enjoyed it, only leaving for a few hours to run some necessary errands.

Valerie, I was born in San Francisco, lived 9 years in the East Bay (Albany), moved to small town in Northern California (Ukiah) ‘til was 18, then back to the East Bay (Berkeley, Piedmont, Oakland, San Leandro) ‘til 1997 when my job moved us to Boise Idaho (culture and climate shock ;> ). Retired to the Southern Oregon Coast in 2016. No kids, two half sisters in So Calif who I didn’t meet ‘til we were in our forties. Fostered three teenaged nephews for a couple years. (Two are Iowa, one in Idaho, all three are alive and not in jail, thank goodness.) Before I was married, traveled to the Midwest (for kin), NorthEast (for work), England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Israel. After marriage mot travel was road trips to visit family in the Missouri, Iowa and Kentucky. DH no longer likes to travel much but recently commented it would be fun to go back to our old camping spot in the Sierras, maybe this summer? Fingers Xd.
    Rebecca, Barbie, Ginny, Beth “Yes!” to the satisfaction of to-the-penny balanced bank accounts, but it was not always so. There were times when I couldn’t face even opening the statement envelope ;{
    Carol happy 76th to your DH! Salud! Some green beans are so slender and tender (like the French haricots verts) that the far end little tip is edible. Not the stem end, though ;)
    Heather, Machka re: mfp built in deficits. Doesn’t mfp have a baseline intake of 1200 calories per day, without exercise? When I try to log fewer than 1000 calories, it tells me “you are not eating enough” and won’t project weight in 5 weeks.
    Rebecca “husband’s ‘creative math skills’” LOL! “Just having the money we have to work round is a blessing.” Amen sister, amen.
    Machka I’m tired just reading your schedule, but WOW what a beautiful autumn in Canada photo. Hope Rowan’s foot is better soon.
    Michele I got the strangest image about the manager who made a customer wait while she punched you out :laugh:
    Heather sorry to hear about the cold, it is so wearing. ((hugs)) Can hardly wait to hear about the morning with Bea and the Paris House outing.
    Annie ((hugs)) You’re right, typing out can help clarify things for us. Type away. ((hugs))
    Welcome @fitte_Oma Svenja! Being able to get down onto (and back up from) is crucial to long term wellbeing. This guy has good info: https://youtu.be/FxrYmvXJRH0
    https://youtu.be/t_9nhkjZ5ls
    Tina 5K? Well done!!! “…this city is not bike friendly” ((hugs))
    Pip what Rebecca said. Please never leave us. What an image of your run! :laugh:
    Lisa what you said about the woman who hit Tina’s friend. So very very sad for all.
    Welcome @cyndiemi Cyndie in OH! Logging food (and weighing it) was eye-opening for me ;)
    Allie so happy to hear of your fun night. Laughter is the best medicine ;)
    Beth I truly don’t understand what’s degrading about clearly (re-)marked ‘best by’ dates. Can you ask him to help us understand?
    Tracey I’ll search for “Letters to Santa.” Was just thinking I needed a good Hallmark Christmas movie to watch while I light and decorate our tabletop tree… :love: the village but the idea of keeping all that dusted gives me a cauld grue :noway:
    Lanette I didn’t donate, but made a pantry/fridge/freezer purge minestrone stew this weekend. Two meals for me, one for Joe. Next day he said it was good, what a relief! There are five more servings in the freezer ;).
    Will stop in at the holiday craft fair at a coffee house in Gold Beach after church tomorrow. Then home to play with the tree and make rum balls ;).

12/2: Move: ZERO sets PT. Steps:5757
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=2 CI<CO net=216 vits=1
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AF, ptT, ptS, M, Grocery Outlet, All State and OR liquor stores, Post Office, Library, salted caramel adult fudge, fellowship citrus salad prep. Wt:132.1
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    December: Move more: chair yoga, line dance, dailyish PT, play with dogs.
    Fuel better: less sugar, CI<CO, dailyish vitamins.
    Live NOW: dailyish time with Joe, readings, meditate 3 minutes/day. Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2023: Be of good cheer.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,246 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great job on the cycling event, Machka. A massive amount of work.

It is absolutely pouring with rain now, so I hope the Cyclo-cross is over. Max arrived at the door absolutely soaked. Wet and cold is no fun. Hoping Edie and DDIL did OK, so it was worth the horrible weather and the early start! :# They always seem in good spirits when they come back.

I produced a decent lunch, frankfurters for Max, pasta and pesto for Bea, pasta and smoked salmon and cream cheese for me, salmon and cream cheese sandwiches for DH. I enjoyed mine so much I'm doing it again for dinner, with broccoli. I use Philly Light.
    Max had a really great time in Germany and seems to have enjoyed every minute. A good experience for him.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,915 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Heather, Machka re: mfp built in deficits. Doesn’t mfp have a baseline intake of 1200 calories per day, without exercise? When I try to log fewer than 1000 calories, it tells me “you are not eating enough” and won’t project weight in 5 weeks.

Barbara

You're not supposed to eat less than 1200 calories per day and especially not less than 1000 calories per day. MFP would run into legal issues if they condoned starvation diets. So yes, they'll tell you that you are not eating enough if you try to log too low.

The calorie amount I can eat without gaining or losing weight is something like 1600 calories, so if I go for 1350 (which I often do when I'm on a mission to lose weight), I'm in a 250 calorie per day deficit.

When I lost 15 kg in 15 weeks, I did it on 1250 calories a day (plus whatever percentage of exercise calories).

Machka in Oz

• teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    <3
    Betsy in NW WA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,934 Member
    Options
    <3
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    2023 December Kindness

Word of the Year: appreciate—Today I appreciate journaling.

Meditation: daily. 18/30 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%,100,100,83%
    Feeling sick all month. Colitis crap!

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min /23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) /8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min /20

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    3 months SOBER!
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 6521,6471,5327, 5211, (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%—6458,92%,-6847,98%-84% 5882-
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/2 (10,00%) 50%
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 220/208—(733%,100% My mom called me for a change, 100%)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)98/96 100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4, 172.2, 173.2, 173.4, 173.4 (600%) 100%,100%
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 0/23. (681%,100,100,83)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 48/12
    (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 11/12—(100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (100%) I put the money in, but end up taking it out.
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,0,0,0,0
    500%) This has stopped. Spending too much.

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met——99%
    October met —90.7%
    November met—75%
    December met—

1.Spread kindness and share the December calendar with others. Sharing with my MFP friends.
    2. Contact someone you can’t be with to see how they are doing. Forgot to do this yesterday. Hope to do it today.
    3. Offer to help someone who is facing difficulties at the moment.
    4. Support a campaign, cause, or charity you really care about.
    5. Give a gift to someone who is homeless or lonely.
    6. Leave a positive message for someone else to find
    7. Give kind comments to as many people as possible today.
    8. Do something helpful for a friend or family member.
    9. Notice when you’re hard on yourself or others and be kind instead.
    10. Listen wholeheartedly to others without judging them.
    11. But an extra item and donate to a food bank.
    12. Be generous. Feed someone with food, love or kindness today.
    13. See how many be people you can smile at today.
    14. Share a happy memory or inspiring thought with a loved one.
    15. Say hello to your neighbor and brighten their day.
    16. Look for something positive to say to everyone you meet today.
    17. Give thanks. List the kind things others have done for you.
    18. Ask for help and let someone else know the how of giving.
    19. Contact someone who may be alone or feeling isolated.
    20. Help someone by giving away something you don’t need.
    21. Appreciate kindness and thank people who do things for you.
    22. Congratulate someone for an achievement that may go unnoticed.
    23. Choose to give or receive the gift of forgiveness.
    24. Bring joy to others. Share something that made you laugh.
    25. Treat everyone with kindness including yourself.
    26. Get outside, pick up litter or do something kind for nature.
    27. Call a relative who is far away to say hello and have a chat.
    28. Be kind to the planet. Eat less meat and use less energy.
    29. Turn off digital devices and really listen to people.
    30. Let someone know how much you appreciated them and why.
    31. Plan some new acts of kindness for 2024.

The results of your personality test are in. Here they are:
    Personality type: Logistician (ISTJ-T)
Traits: Introverted – 69%, Observant – 58%, Thinking – 75%, Judging – 56%, Turbulent – 54%
Role: Sentinel
Strategy: Constant Improvement
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Lisa you are right. My mom has been a sundowner for decades! That is reassuring, thanks.

Annie in Delaware