WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
    Hello my friends.

Lisa and Allie and Barbara and the rest of you all, thanks for thinking of me.

My mother passed Tuesday around noon. Life has been a whirlwind since. We got some of the arrangements made. My sister has been a godsend. When she gets emotional, she likes to dig into a task. I never had a guest who washed her towels!

One of the challenges is finding the original will. Current thought is that it might be stashed in a safe deposit box. Dad thinks he might have one, but there's no key. I'm thinking we don't need an original will because all of her property was joint with my father. So there is nothing to actually inherit, it just continues to be his. But I need a legal opinion on that.

We haven't agreed yet on the timing or flow of the service. My brother in law keeps commenting and I am not convinced. He wants to have a reception at the church. The minister said to use a restaurant because the church has no staff to set up or clean up or decorate. He said it's too hard on the family to be doing all that. It's really odd that he said that, and unfair after my mom hosted so many coffee hours, but it still stands as his recommendation for whatever reason. Sounds to me like he got burned by people who left a mess.

Anyway, we have a few days to figure this out.

And that's where I am at, dealing with arrangements. My dad of course is devastated and walks around like a zombie. He keeps trying to help but getting in the way. For example, he latched on to the question of what to do with her books. I told him three times not to worry about it tonight. Some of those books are mine, anyway. But he won't let it go. I bet he tries to box up and give away my books. Then he was asking about her clothes. Geez that can really wait a few days if not months. Let's get through the insurance and the will and the funeral and the obituary first.

Other than that it's been very smooth. So not bad so far.

Annie in Delaware

My thoughts are with you, I’m so sorry.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    2023 December Kindness

Word of the Year: appreciate—Today I appreciate having a roof over my head, especially since there are so many homeless people living on the street.

Meditation: daily. 18/30 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%,100,100,83%
    Feeling sick all month. Colitis crap! And eye surgery.

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min /23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) /8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min /20

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    5 months SOBER!
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5907,5777, 4325,(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%—6458,92%,-6847,98%-84% 5882-)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 2/2 (10,00%) 50%
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 229/208—(733%,100% My mom called me for a change, 100%)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)99/96 100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4, 172.2, 173.2, 173.4, 173.4 (600%) 100%,100%
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 12/23. (681%,100,100,83)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 51/12
    (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 12/12—(100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (100%) I put the money in, but end up taking it out.
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,0,0,0,0
    500%) This has stopped. Spending too much.

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met——99%
    October met —90.7%
    November met—75%
    December met—

1.Spread kindness and share the December calendar with others. Sharing with my MFP friends.
    2. Contact someone you can’t be with to see how they are doing. Forgot to do this yesterday. Hope to do it today. I did this on Sunday 12/3.
    3. Offer to help someone who is facing difficulties at the moment. Helped my fellow host in learning what to do in 2 separate incidents with campers.
    4. Support a campaign, cause, or charity you really care about.
    5. Give a gift to someone who is homeless or lonely. Did not do this. No chance to.
    6. Leave a positive message for someone else to find. Did this yesterday.
    7. Give kind comments to as many people as possible today. I will try. A bit down today. Not feeling well.
    8. Do something helpful for a friend or family member. Will do!
    9. Notice when you’re hard on yourself or others and be kind instead. I will try to remember.
    10. Listen wholeheartedly to others without judging them. I need to learn to do this more.
    11. But an extra item and donate to a food bank. Did not have a chance to do this today.
    12. Be generous. Feed someone with food, love or kindness today.
    13. See how many be people you can smile at today. I didn’t count, but smiled at ask the hospital employees I meet yesterday while getting eye surgery.
    14. Share a happy memory or inspiring thought with a loved one. Will do!
    15. Say hello to your neighbor and brighten their day. Sounds like a plan for today!
    16. Look for something positive to say to everyone you meet today. My goal always!
    17. Give thanks. List the kind things others have done for you. Will do this in my journal. I didn’t do this.
    18. Ask for help and let someone else know the how of giving.
    19. Contact someone who may be alone or feeling isolated.
    20. Help someone by giving away something you don’t need.
    21. Appreciate kindness and thank people who do things for you. I always thank people for being kind. I appreciate kind people always.
    22. Congratulate someone for an achievement that may go unnoticed.
    23. Choose to give or receive the gift of forgiveness.
    24. Bring joy to others. Share something that made you laugh.
    25. Treat everyone with kindness including yourself.
    26. Get outside, pick up litter or do something kind for nature.
    27. Call a relative who is far away to say hello and have a chat.
    28. Be kind to the planet. Eat less meat and use less energy.
    29. Turn off digital devices and really listen to people.
    30. Let someone know how much you appreciated them and why.
    31. Plan some new acts of kindness for 2024.

The results of your personality test are in. Here they are:
    Personality type: Logistician (ISTJ-T)
Traits: Introverted – 69%, Observant – 58%, Thinking – 75%, Judging – 56%, Turbulent – 54%
Role: Sentinel
Strategy: Constant Improvement
    Joined MFPL 5/26/2010
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Annie I’m sorry for your loss. Know that she was loved and cared for right up to the end, you saw to that. Prayers and hugs to you and your family. Don’t forget to take care of yourself during this tough time.

Love,
    RVRita
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Annie, condolences to you and your family. Glad your sister is there to help you and your dad.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,482 Member
    Options
    My tea towel has arrived!
    ll5ot9bcc7re.jpg
    Very pleased with it. Can't decide whether to gift it to my son for New Year housewarming present, or keep it 🤔 I love it
    I'm amazed the colours came out so strongly.
    Heather UK xxxxxx

That tea towel is stunning! You keep your first, and make him one for the spring💖👍🏼
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Oh Annie, my condolences to you, your sister, and your Dad, on the loss of your Mother. My thoughts are with you during this emotional time. 🙏
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Annie: Thinking of you. I hope the horseback riding is therapeutic! Unfortunately you still have your hands full with your Dad!

Michele: I hope Loki is okay!

Barbie Cat: Yes! The count down to Christmas has begun!

AuntiBK: Yes, One thing I have decided to do is cut back on bookclub! There is so much on my own I want to read! I will read several books for the book club a year and join the group at that time! I am going to try Tai Chi by zoom which will be less time consuming!

MachkA: I never heard of ops shop and tip shop. We have a thrift shop...mostly for clothes! I am amazed at all you do. I believe there is a season for major de-cluttering and down sizing. I guess my season for this has begun! I took a community college course on Access years ago. All I remember is something important about having a key!

Rebecca: I smiled at the red sneakers in your sister's picture!

Grandmallie: Wow! Miles is really concentrating on the ornament making!---Growing up!

Barbie: It's filled with memories is on of my road blocks for giving things away. I have about 30 copies of our wedding program from 30 plus years ago. Time to save 1 or 2 copies and part with the rest!

Carol: I love a bad day does not equal a bad life.

Dr. Katiebug: I have started the videos and enjoying them!

Heather: Interestingly I have gotten less cards than usual. I did manage to send a few out. Enjoyed the picture of you all eating. The food looks inviting. The cake looks delicious. I love the felt tree decorations!

Flea: May peace be with you as you pass the first anniversary of the passing of your mother.

Lisa: I will look into a FitBit watch. I would like the reminder to keep moving! I love your description of your day in the living room. Sounds relaxing!

Margaret Turk: i have never had a fluroide treatment at the dentist. I don't think I would pay for one. Congrats on getting under 180. Alas I got down to 185 and am back up to 190. I eat very little. I need to move more!

Rebecca: I can feel how much you enjoyed your meal! I hope you do it again real soon!

Well I got up through the night to work on the house and slept a couple hours at a time. I feel good right now. I will nap later. I am ready for the cleaner to arrive at 1pm. The decluttering course Dr. Katiebug recommended suggested ensuring the master bed room is clean so that you have a place of reprieve from the rest of the house. I took this to heart and de-cluttered my bed room and now I will enjoy being in this room while my son and daughter in law are here.

I have decided to change the living room. Not money I expected to spend but I had an old time Victorian theme and am ready to move on from this. I found someone to come tomorrow to move the couch into the family room. I am going to ask him to take the red rug with large flowers away. And the maroon recliner that seems heavy looking to me now.

Last night I purchased a yellow rug which will look good with a Baby blue couch. There is a Baby Blue couch on Wayfair I might take a chance on. There is also a baby blue leather couch at Macy's. But that is more high end. I would probably go to Atlanta to look at that in person if I went that route. Probably not. It is not necessary. So the room will be a cheerful blue and yellow. I will purchase accent chairs later in the year! Very different then Victorian!

My son asked me if I was sure I wanted to purchase the rug on impulse. I told him I had been looking for 90 minutes!

Peace to everyone!
    Rosemarie from Georgia

I always make enough soup to have 2 bowls, then a bowl or two the next day. My Soup Queen status does not permit me to create in small one bowl increments. It goes against policy.😂
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    (((Annie, Dad, Sister and Family))) ~ Best thoughts for you all during this time.

Carol in GA
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Rosemarie and Dr Katy: About my Lunch with Sister and Niece! Sister wanted us to meet at the Cheesecake Factory which is at Perimeter Mall near Sandy Springs. I worked at an insurance company near there before I began teaching at age 27 and I had not been to Perimeter Mall in over 10 yrs. Good Grief! If I had not been able to use the navigation feature with my i-phone, I would never have been able to find the restaurant. The streets near the mall had all changed with strange lane merges and so many new to me businesses. The traffic was awful. Anyway, Rosemarie, when you mentioned going to Macy's to shop, it made me wonder if you would be going to the same mall. I doubt I will be going there again any time soon.

Carol in GA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,264 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Very much a normal day. I did pop out to buy a few last minute things for Christmas Eve, and had a fun chat with a shopkeeper. :D It almost seems too quiet for us. I thought we might be having the girls a bit, but no request has been forthcoming. I like the peace, but I'm missing them. My fault, as I rejected the idea of having the whole family over! :o Be careful what you wish for.

My brother rang, which was nice. He told me that his expected grandchild is going to be a boy. :D This is the baby that the wedding couple were expecting. I still owe her a wedding present! My brother has a bad cold, his wife has a fluey thing. Their car is on the blink. Otherwise they would have been to see us. He is giving our Christmas present money to a children's library in Uganda. :p Happy with that. He also has two great grandsons due in March! His family is HUGE!

Then G rang. Still, itching and the rash is all over now. She is putting on scabies cream again tonight. Totally fed up with no definitive diagnosis. She is still going off to her recorder group tomorrow. Long drive. And another long drive for Christmas. Stalwart.

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,980 Member
    Options
    Had a good class last night- was rushing around, had to go take care of friends' pets(6cats and a dog) on my way to Zumba- realized as I was walking out the door that I hadn't eaten. Just had a small bowl of wonton soup at lunch. Grabbed an energy/protein bar. Was great at keeping me going during class BUT the caffiene was still kicking in at 3AM- Between 12 and 3:30 AM, I took two melatonin(3hrs apart) and took a massaging shower before finally falling and staying asleep. Woke up a bit before 8. My cats thought it was breakfast time because I got up to use the bathroom. Can't get back to sleep with 6 starving kitties on the bed. Fed them then the other ones in the kitchen and outside then over to my friends to feed her furbabies. Tonight will be the last time-they are coming home from Vegas late tonight
    Have Ezie all day today so have been keeping her busy- painting a Christmas tree skirt with glitter glue. She works on it for a bit then leaves and comes back. Just glue with different colored glitter mixed in. Going to be really cute when she is done.

Have beef for broccoli beef in the pressure cooker. I usually use the baking soda trick on the meat like the Chinese restaurants use but trying the pressure cooker instead. Rice is already cooked. Pot stickers just need to be steamed then fried. Rice is already cooked. Dh may be bringing home sukiyaki from his mom. Not sure if she is cooking today or tomorrow.(I thought she was doing it yesterday so I didn't cook-came home from class and everyone was hungry)

Just need to get through the next few hours then go to bed early.

Sunny here in Napa Valley, CA after days of rain.

Debbie