WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2024

Options

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,514 Member
    edited January 21
    Options
    Last night indulged in English muffin, one half pb&honey, other half butter&lemon curd. Predictable results this morning ;P
    BUSTED. This morning, Joe asked if I knew where the little stone cup he bought at the Star Farmers’ market was. Oops. Confessed “it might have been donated. Sorry! Next time I’ll ask first.” One reason I hate decluttering/purging. :sick:
    Today’s gratitude: Kay and everyone who suggested audio book “Decluttering at the Speed of Life.” Listened to the first two or three chapters while puttering around the study. A grocery bag full of paper left the house and is in the recycle bin, AND I found the shower curtain I was sure I’d tucked away “in case” I needed it. Now I do. ;) Just another reason purging is so very very hard.
    I feel sad, embarrassed, ashamed.
    Tackled the container full of sympathy cards from Mama’s passing back in 1995. Not only did I never acknowledge any of the many kind expressions of sympathy, charitable donations, photos or letters containing touching memories of Mama, but I found half a dozen checks made out to Mama’s church. Felt I had no choice but to tear them in pieces and throw them away. It’s going to take a long walk and maybe a good cry to purge these feelings.
    Taking a break to check in with you all.
    Terri hard won wisdom. Well done.
    Machka saw this article and thought of you and Rowan. https://www.theivnews.com?s=raising+resilient+bees Likely you beekeepers in Taz are already using heritage rather than commercial treatments. Whoops there goes another piece of paper into the recycling.
    Michelle in NV ((hugs))
    Lanette thanks for the sleep video. Will watch later while marching in place. Way short of steps so far today ;{
    Heather, whiskey sauce, si, haggis :noway: ;) Hope no ill effects from storm and all are safe.
    Kylia Wow! Proud grandma!
    Rita con VERY gratulations on your six months sober. Excellent work.
    Rebecca look forward to seeing pic of Athena wearing the “Must Dash” from her secret message :heart:
    Annie what a very very hard place to be in. ((hugs))
    Welcome @wizzybeth On the last evening of the month Barbiecat posts a link to the next month’s thread.
    Lisa yours and Barbie’s to Terri’s. Especially “…When you hear yourself say "I let her make me angry," it changes your own reaction completely.”
    Sue Wow! So thankful for your marvelous neighbors’ help. Frozen burst pipes are not fun at all.
    1/20 corrected: Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=4 CI<CO net=258
    Thanks gals. Spending time with you has helped restore my equanimity. Time to prep vegs, feed the pooches, and clean that bathroom. (ugh)
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    January: Move more: dailyish PT, play with dogs, more steps than yesterday.
    Fuel better: less sugar, CI<CO, dailyish vitamins. more AF days than not.
    Live NOW: dailyish time with Joe, dogs, readings, Hebrew, meditation.
    Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2024: Strengthen: body, mind, heart-connections.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,677 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Housecleaning etc- 3hrs 18min 32sec, laundry fold/put away, make/refill hummingbird food, mostly kitchen stuff, etc= 700c

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,014 Member
    Options
    anmlmzdiet wrote: »
    @dlfk202000
    It sounds like your husband is overwhelmed. He certainly has got a lot on his hands. My mother is only in this predicament because she keeps falling and breaking bones. When she gets close to being healed, she does something like take her walker on a hike down the stairs. I'm not saying she hurts herself on purpose, but if she wants to get better, she needs to stop doing things she's not supposed to.

All the food drama your MIL causes should be easy to fix. (Should be, of course) Give her one thing to eat and be done with it. If she throws it away, it's gone. Try again tomorrow. The only thing she can do is try to starve herself. I know, she just might. Well, that's my two cents. No big help.

Tell your husband I feel for him, and he's not the only one out there dealing with a hateful mother and dead siblings.

@Snowflake1968
    Oh, I need to clean my craft room something awful. I make jewelry. I have wire, tools, and tens of thousands of beads. Hubby thinks my craft room is a storage shed, and every day there is something new to climb over.

Michelle in NV
    This all really went bad back in June of 2022. MIL fell and broke bones in her hand and wrist and the next day fell again and broke a few ribs(because of a UTI) and needed 24 hr care. At that time it was exhausting for dh to be there the whole time. On the days he worked(retired but working a few nights a week) I would go over, spend the night on the couch to help when she needed to get up to use the bathroom or what ever. Once she started getting better and not needing as much help, we started to cut back a bit like the doctors wanted-make her do a bit more for herself. She liked being waited on every second and got very mad when we wouldn't do everything.
    Yes, she pulled the "going to starve myself to death" quite a few times
    Yes, it should be an easy fix but that is up to DH to do that and he won't, just complains to me about it.

Add me to the list of those who need to clean out my craft room. It will take me a good week of full time cleaning I think to really get it the way I want, maybe longer- I am a huge procrastinator so it still sits, a big mess

Debbie

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    Did the Legs of Steel DVD then walked to Food Lion to get more grapes. Even tho they’re more expensive than Aldi on sale, they are much better. Aldi has them on sale this week and they are so bitter! Then went to Aldi

Tracey – could they be jealous of the fact that your daughter is doing so well even without their help? I’m just thinking because I suspect that’s part of the reason why Denise didn’t even go to Jess’ graduation. Her reason was that she had to be there for PJ’s 3rd birthday party (which she had a week later).

It was 12 degrees when I walked to Food Lion this morning, but there wasn’t any wind so that made it decent to walk in.

Michelle NV – have you ever tried shirataki noodles? They have a “rubbery” consistency. It did take me a while to get used to them but now I prefer them If your family is anything like my husband (everything has to be plain and what he expects) they may not like them. How about popcorn for a snack?

Ginny – aren’t pork rinds deep fried?

Put a load of laundry in the wash before I went to Aldi. Now it’s in the dryer. Also have yogurt in the IP so it’ll be done around dinnertime

kylia – congrats to your granddaughter! Will you be going to see the performances? She’s beautiful and a fantastic dancer! Thanks for the link, I really enjoyed it

Rita – I think an alien taking us to a sunny spot is a fantastic idea! Especially since Lanette seems to be having trouble with that teleporter WooHoo, 6 months, you go girl!!!!

Annie dearest – you have so much on your plate. I’m so glad you share with us. I’m worried for your dad, too.

Karen – this thread starts fresh the start of every month. Look for the link barbie will post on the last day of this month. Welcome!

Sue – yea for a hot shower! And yea for not having to call a plumber on the weekend

Well, finished the blanket for my friend. Looks like I made a mistake towards the end, but I don’t think it’s real noticeable. Wrapped everything that I’m sending to her, going to start to work (again) on the cross stitch for the lady who took care of my dad, take a shower and go to bed.

Michele NC
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Tracey, I love audio books for the car and ebooks for reading fiction for pleasure at home. If I am reading a book for learning purposes, whether fiction or non-fiction, I need the physical book. In the reading program for my church conference-wide women’s group. i need a physical book that I can leaf through for our Zoom book study and also so that I can pass it on to other women in the group when I am finished.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited January 22
    Options
    Lanette, I’m reading the Cormoran Strike series, too. The second one is the book I could not put down; it kept me in my pajamas all day. The 3rd one is slower. I’ve been listening to the audio while driving and walking and reading Lessons in Chemistry while in the house. They are getting darker, for sure, and I know what you mean about the characters. I probably will continue on with them, but I can see why they don’t seem to be hard to get on Libby.

Barbara, give yourself some grace on the sympathy responses. I don’t know about you, but I was a totally different person back in 1995. I was so wrapped up in raising my kids, getting the bills paid, etc. Throw grieving in there, too. That was almost 30 years ago!

Machka, i used to use my husband as a sounding board for solving math problems I could not figure out in graduate school. By the time I explained the problem to him and why I couldn’t solve it, i would see the solution.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,137 Member
    Options
    Snacks ... these days I am snacking on snowpeas and strawberries! Both are coming ripe right now!

Love eating food right off the plant.

M in Oz
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,014 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    anmlmzdiet wrote: »

Maybe I’m mean, but if I was doing for her what you and your husband are, the minute she told me she was changing her will to the niece from Osaka, I would have bought her the one way plane ticket there! (Refundable of course) Maybe if she sees her threats are taken seriously,——then again, if she was always that way, she would probably wait until the last minute and not get on the plane! Or thrown off from the way she treats the stewards/stewardess’s (what do they call them now??)

Just venting a little. I’ve been in a crappy mood lately. With all my medical stuff hitting at once, and family baloney, not feeling the best. If I was in this mood when I was told I was useless, I probably would have turned off my phone gone home or on a trip for a month, then see what the person thinks of me!

RVRita in slightly rainy (was to be snow but not) Roswell, N<

My biggest fear would be that niece gets her name on all the accounts, gets all the money and either takes her to Osaka and sends her back totally pennyless or gets all the money and doesn't even take her then she would have no home and no money to pay for a place to live and no way would she ever live with us.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Regarding decluttering and household stuff ...

Maybe this is because my husband and I married when we were older adults ...

My husband and I each do our own laundry, including folding and putting away. I don't touch his clothing. If he has 20 pair of grey socks, some with holes, that's his business. It's not mine. I'm not even sure what size clothing he prefers and he wouldn't know mine.

We each have our own beds and bed areas. The only thing I will do with stuff on his side of the room is to wash his sheets. He doesn't touch all the books around my bed, even if it is apparent that there are duplicates.

He has a portion of the bathroom and so do I. I don't go rummaging through his stuff and he doesn't rummage through mine.

We also have areas of the house that are ours. I don't deal with anything in his area and doesn't do anything with things in my area.

There are some middle areas but before we do something with the stuff in the middle, we check with each other.

That seems to work for us. Yes, I would like his area to be neater, but that's not who he is and I need to focus on my areas.

Also ... moving several times really helps! My husband and I have both had 2 big purges in the past.

Right now I am kind of thinking ahead ... we're not getting any younger. At some point we will likely want to move into a house that has easier access. Then we'll likely move into a retirement village (assisted living).

Are we ready to make those moves? No. We have too much excess stuff. But that's part of the plan for 2024 ... declutter and streamline to make moves easier.

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,677 Member
    Options
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,880 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    Kay - I’ve been hearing that a lot I’m about books we’re learning from. My SIL said the same thing. His mother is a professor, he asked her why? She told him it’s a licensing thing. He also gave her old particular for professors insisting a book is required, but then only have to read one chapter. She only laughed at that.

I should head to bed.
    Tracey in Edmonton

Thankfully, we've moved away from the buy a $150.00 book and read one chapter thing!!

During my Master's degree, not one of the classes required a textbook! :)

Machka in Oz

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    Options
    Tracey - I sent you a message. Did you get it?

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx