Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Ages 70+

Replies

• jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,534 Member
    @joy1580vb Yes we did set it too low. It is set @ 21C now and at night same. I picked up this crazy A/C cold last week. The temp was 34C+ outside we went into Costco Business Centre bunker; like walking into a freezer. Not dressed for the temperature differential. DH probably picked it up from me.
    I agree the poppies and the under leaves of hostas are burnt. The tiger lilies on the side of the house are doing well; hot temperature but shaded. They seem to like the heat. The day lilies have enough foliage to protect themselves. Rose blooms are struggling. All peony blooms done. I would like to dead head all; however I think it might be too early in the season; so my work is cut out for me when we get home.

DH is trimming the lawn since it is a bit cooler. Tomorrow in the morning he will cut.
    Thankful for a smoker, quick meals and clean up.

Continued rest today and a bit of packing.
    Have a healthy day B)
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 404 Member
    jonni82014 You must be getting so excited about your trip to see family and also touring some of Europe. I've been reading that parts of Europe is also dealing with extreme heat. Not sure exactly where you are going but Belgium seems to have nice temps. Hope it's not too sweltering where you are. I remember when in Italy it was +40C when we were touring pompeii. Our tour guide tried to keep us in the shade most of the time so it was tolerable. Have been to Europe a few times and enjoyed the people and history.

Need to post a couple of pics of my Newfoundland trip. Will try to do it this afternoon.

Got 6 of my tomato plants nicely watered yesterday and going out this morning to water the other 6. Taking my garden gloves with me as I noticed a thistle growing in one of them. Forecast is for hot/smoky right through until maybe Thursday. Hopefully we will get some much needed rain then.

Enjoy the day.
  • kaynelvb
    kaynelvb Posts: 21 Member
    edited July 21
    Not much planned for today. Since it is Sunday, it is my busier day. I know it is supposed to be a day of rest, but I go to Mass on Saturday afternoon, so that is my day "off". Oddly enough, though, I only do laundry and watering my indoor plants on Sundays, and both these activities are really restful for me, so I enjoy the day completely.

I am new to Catholic Church and have been struggling to learn more about my new Church/Faith. The priest we had retired at the end of June due to health reasons and the Diocese has totally realigned the Parish's hierarchy. We now have a Priest who basically overseas three Parishes, and although we are assigned one Priest, we still have to share him with the other Parishes occasionally. Last night we had the Priest who is in charge come in for the service. For the homily, he taught us something about the service that I had never heard of before, so I thoroughly enjoyed it all. I loved learning more about it and he explained it extremely well. Our previous priest never taught us anything, just lectured on the Gospel reading. Nothing against him, he was getting older and getting very tired, but it is nice to have new "blood" come in and take charge. Wakes us all up out of our old routine.

I may be able to do some gardening today, depending on when the laundry is finished, so I have my fingers crossed. All my flower beds are in desperate need of weeding and edging, so maybe ....... Luckily the humidity is supposed to be way down again today, and that will help.

jonni82014: I do some crochet, but I learned that later in life, so knitting is easier for me. I will be knitting the blanket. I started to learn knitting when I was about 4, so it is second nature to me now. I am doing the blanket in a tan color, but still in baby yarn. Young people these days seem to like all kinds of colors for infants, so I am being a bit different. Plus, if the little boy likes it, it may last longer for him in a more "older boy" color.

Have a great day, everyone!
  • Joy1580vb
    edited July 21
    Newfoundland picsdejud04ok5bn.jpeg
    Huge iceberg we got close to.
  • Joy1580vb
    edited July 21
    9dn4yfhqa9ul.jpeg
    Boat tour through the fjords at Western Brook Pond
  • Joy1580vb
    edited July 21
    nfcp7b1n2owq.jpeg
    Saw lots of these little puffins.
  • Joy1580vb
    edited July 21
    5vdedaf0qpx4.jpeg
    Colourful houses in St Johns.
  • Joy1580vb
    ziftmz1cdnw0.jpeg
  • Joy1580vb
    edited July 21
    0tmiwh2si0p8.jpeg
    Couple coastline pics
  • Joy1580vb
    edited July 21
    tghu7bu3shhf.jpeg
    Fishing village along the coast.
  • Joy1580vb
    edited July 21
    nvwjcqzlcbei.jpeg
    Another pic of jellybean houses.
  • Joy1580vb
    edited July 21
    oh4nwxwf9p5c.jpeg
  • Joy1580vb
    edited July 21
    Another pic Western Brook Pond fjords above pic.
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 444 Member
    Love the pics!
    Busy getting ready for granddaughter and now hubby caught my cold.
    Also won’t get into politics except to say today was an exhausting day to be in the States.
    Hope to be out at a playground tomorrow and forget other things.
  • jonni82014
    @Joy1580vb thanks for the pics. They are great!

Religion and politics I like to stay away from; however I do like when the priests apple every day life to the gospel and yes, it's an exhausting day to be in the States; politically. We do get affected here.

@kaynelvb My mother taught me to crochet, knit and embroider. It was a challenge for her as I am left handed. We succeeded. I liked to embroider the most; the intricacies .

Mom bought pillow cases, table cloths that had a pattern stamped around the edges. We would embroider the edges. Mom was so strict that the inside of the embroidered patten had to be as clean and crisp as the outside. We did learn a lot of those skills in our Home Economics (HE) courses at school. We learned to sew, to make an apron, set of pot holders and shift & Aline simple dresses. Cooking, baking, Rug tufting and mending as well. One of the high schools has a knitting class. All items sent to the shelters and NICU (hospitals) around the City. The Seniors Centre has a knitting and crochet club as well. Donated yarn.They make a type of knitted poncho (I have one) that is used to take the chill off of the shoulders. All items sent to the nursings homes.

Trusting all of us experiencing colds, aches and pains will quickly recover.

DH cutting the grass. I am going to dead head (garden centre gave the go ahead) the peonies, bergenias and day lilies. Time permitting.

DH & I pedi and mani this afternoon. Foot and hand care so important at our age.

Have a healthy day B)

• Joy1580vb
    Good morning, ladies. Glad you enjoyed my pics. Newfoundland is a beautiful province.

I hope this thread can stay away from politics and religion which are two very personal topics and I don't think they should be a part of this public forum. Hopefully everyone is in agreement.

Went out and watered my tomato plants a couple of hours ago and was able to enjoy a bit of time with my dogs outside. Is a a little breezy so the smoke isn't bad. Starting to get warm though at +25 C now. Pulled up one of my potato plants as they are blooming and I was curious to see what is happening underground. Got a dozen egg size potatoes. Looks like they are fairly close to the surface. Will be enjoying them boiled with fresh dill as part of supper today.

Enjoy the day.
  • jonni82014
    Good morning

I do like to stay away from religion and politics discussions.

Maybe we can discuss more health and wellness subjects. Those subjects are very personal to me, it is sometimes difficult for me to discuss, however information sharing is beneficial to keep me on track towards my health and wellness goals. That's why I signed into this forum.

I have already set a plan in motion, to mindfully eat on vacation so that I am not fighting a bulge when I get back. DH is a good partner; as he has the same train of thought.
    I will have a great vacation focusing on activities instead of food. Still learning to break away from that mindset.

It's been difficult not going to the gym for the past two weeks; because of the A/C cold. Wildfire smoke is rolling in today; so DH and I are going to the mall. The mall walk is about 10,000+steps.

I did get the perennial beds dead headed; less to do when I get back.

Enjoy a healthy day. B)

• Joy1580vb
    jonni82014 You have a very good plan in place for your vacation and I'm sure you will do well. Still haven't stepped on the scale yet since getting back but will probably do that in the next few days. I didn't go overboard with eating while away but with longish time on the bus sitting....and with our tour director putting out a basket of snacks each day on the bus....I know I gained a bit.

I don't eliminate any food group but just stick to watching my food portions as my weight gain is simply the amount of food I'm eating in comparison to the amount of activity I'm getting. Usually summertime is an easy way for me to lose weight as I'm active outside working in the yard or my garden. This year I am finding it difficult to do due the amount of smoke in our area. The smoke is actually giving me hives which I had earlier on so I'm back to taking allergy meds and keeping indoors as much as I can.

Rain is in the forecast for us on Friday with a cool down in temps. I am so looking forward to that. I read that Jasper is being evacuated. I hope they can get a handle on these out of control wild fires which is devastating.

Enjoy the day.
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 444 Member
    I saw that about Jasper. These wildfires have been so destructive in recent years.
    Tomorrow is the last day of cooking to please a four year old and having desserts after dinner. Then back on track!
  • Joy1580vb
    Good morning, ladies.

oceanmelody Good luck with your back on track journey. I know cooking with a four year old in mind can be a challenge for sure.

Back to reality for me. Stepped on the scale this morning and I am now up to 187 lbs. I'm trying to get down to 150 so I now have 37 lbs to get off. Before I went on holidays I was 174. So for me, mindful eating is out the window. I am going back to basics of logging my food on mfp and keeping to my 1200 calorie per day allotment. Will be weighing my portions and making sure to be accurate in my logging. On holidays I was eating 3 big meals per day plus bus snacking so it's really no surprise that I gained weight.

I need to also get back to incorporating daily exercise over what I am doing outside in the garden/yard. Getting back to my 40 minutes of walking per day. Think I will split it into two 20 minute sessions to start with. If I can't do it outside, will do it indoors by an indoor walking video.

Feels nice out this morning at +18 C. Still somewhat smokey and overcast but I think will be ok to do my walking.

Enjoy the day.