WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2024

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,914 Member
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Goals...I love the different way we all do them. Lisa's work for her, but are too vague for me. Machka's with hitting certain goals for the month (ie so many steps or miles), I thought about, but I know me. I would find myself on day 30 trying to catch up! So do whatever works for you that you can measure and account for. I take bits and pieces from everyone.

I had to wear sunglasses to work! Yay!!! Still cold...but. THE SUN IS OUT!!!!

<3
    Kylia

I usually aim to have slightly more than half the distance, steps, etc. covered by the 15th of the month ... that helps keep me on track. :)

M in Oz
  • anmlmzdiet
    anmlmzdiet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It's pouring out here in NV. For us this could be the storm of the season. So, I was listening to the rain and wondering how children could come to play in it without worrying about getting wet. It made me think of my childhood when as soon as it started raining we kids would start making paper boats.

We were very creative about it. We doubled up paper to hopefully keep the water out. We used thick paper, small cardboard boxes, shiny wrapping paper glued to the bottom and sides, but mostly we made lots of boats from notebook paper, so we would have lots of boats and could play longer.

After waiting for the rain to stop, we would run to the curb. There would be a river of water flowing in front of my grandmother's house. It was always there because her house was the last house on the street, and the water funneled in front.

We raced our boats down that river until they soaked so much water they would drown. We kept up this paper boat chase until the boats were gone or the water had dissipated. It never lasted long. The funneling torrent, which had covered half the street, ran off quickly in our desert terrain leaving us wet and happy.

Grandma wouldn't let us back in the house until we were dry, so we hung out in the backyard under the warm sun that followed most of the storms. If we were lucky, we would even be treated to a rainbow while we dried. What a memory.

Michelle in NV where it's pouring

• anmlmzdiet
    anmlmzdiet Posts: 179 Member
    Options

We raced our boats down that river until they soaked so much water they would drown. We kept up this paper boat chase until the boats were gone or the water had dissipated. It never lasted long. The funneling torrent, which had covered half the street, ran off quickly in our desert terrain leaving us wet and happy.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,914 Member
    edited February 2
    Options
    What Are the 5 Health-Related Components of Physical Fitness?
    https://www.healthline.com/health/fitness/health-related-components-of-fitness

Cardiovascular endurance: the ability to perform exercises at moderate-to-vigorous intensities for a prolonged period of time.

Muscular strength: how much force your muscles can exert or how heavy weights they can lift.

Muscular endurance: the ability of your muscles to sustain exercise for a period of time.

Flexibility: the ability to move muscles and joints through a full range of motion.

Body composition: your body’s ratio of fat mass to fat-free mass like muscle and bone.

Key aspects of health.
    I would also add "routine preventative care" ... regular medical appointments to keep on top of things.

z2n84v3b75br.png
    https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/the-health-hub/conditions/what-is-lifestyle-medicine/
    https://bslm.org.uk/
    https://lifestylemedicine.org.au/

Machka in Oz
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Michele in NV, I'm sorry for your grandmother's trouble. Hope it's a quick and pain-free recovery. Your memories of the paper boats are wonderful... and priceless. I lived in Las Vegas for four years in the late 90s, and when I would visit home in East Texas, I would stand out in the rain there and just laugh and laugh... my mother thought my cheese had completely slipped off my cracker. Enjoy the rain...

Ginny - I have hopes yet for the acupuncture...

Heather - Glad the family is beginning to feel better, and hope that you continue to dodge the bug.

Carol - I'm with Heather... you've both given so much time, it's understandable that it would start to wear on you.

Tomorrow,
    Love y'all,
    Lisa

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,569 Member
    Options
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    <3
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,242 Member
    Options
    Tracey - I used to be a big, fat, procrastinator. My school report said, "Heather should not procrastinate so much." I still have it in my memory box. :D
    I still find myself going that way if I am nervous about something, but I have learnt 'to do the thing you believe you cannot do', and to manage my fear with micro steps. I tell myself, 'I'll just take a look', 'I'll just get one thing out', 'I'll just open the laptop and log on'. That strategy is very helpful in managing that clutch in the stomach. I am a dreader and an overthinker, but I have found strategies and habits that get me over the hump.
    If you read my book you will see how much that personal growth course I did in the early 90s helped me. I also mutter mantras to myself! :p Some of those are in the book.
    I think of you as a brave person. Life is looking more expansive for you nowdays. Get that passport done! :p<3:p<3

Michelle NV - Loved your paper boat story. :D Beautiful writing.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,495 Member
    Options
    Today’s gratitude: breaks in the rain this morning for Joe to take dogs to powerline meadow and this afternoon for me to take them too.
    Kylia congratulations on starting February lighter than January!
    Lanette thanks for the prunes video. Was wanting something to eat but didn’t want to blow CICO. One prune (not six!) did the trick. Tomorrow will eat two. . . ;) and watch the balance improvement video.
    Ginny double check any multivitamin you already take to see if it contains the K2, magnesium, DHA etc. I checked my supplements and the only thing I had to order was the strontium citrate. Feels a little weird to intentionally injest a radioactive but . . AND be sure you don’t get strontium ranelate – not for those of us who’ve had blood clots.
    Welcome @kellylicsw Kelly in MA! Looking forward to getting to know you too!
    Michelle in NV, thankful for your grandmother’s high spirits after surgery. Is that the grandmother who wouldn’t let you back into the house until you dried off after the paper boat races?
    Tracey “…fear I won’t have fun if it’s a business” so important for your creative outlet to be fun.
    2/1: Move mins- wii:5 PT:0 d:0 x&a:0 dogs:27 Steps:5092
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=8 CI<CO net=268 vits=1
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AF, ptT, ptS, one load laundry, started taxes ! Wt:134.0
    Still haven’t caught up with January, but time to snooze.

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    February: Move more than yesterday, fuel better than yesterday, live NOW.
    Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2024: Strengthen: body, mind, heart-connections.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

I ordered Lisa Regan's latest book so I have that treat in store for me this weekend. Meanwhile just some errands, buy dog food, deposit checks and such. Maybe start on my Mom's closet. I have to figure out how to put her good suits in bags without destroying them.

Lisa glad you are feeling better. Good luck with the VA paperwork.

I lived in Las Vegas in the late 80s. I had a wonderful group of military friends, we had hundreds of marvelous outings. I remember taking fried chicken to Red Rock, climbing up the rocks and eating in the sun. And boating and scuba diving in Lake Mead. And playing in the snow on Mt Charleston, followed by hot cider drinks. And dancing with Tommy Rocker. Fun times. My group is having a reunion in October but I don't know if I can leave my dad to go. Still, I have very fond memories of Vegas.

Annie in Delaware lost in memories
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,355 Member
    Options
    Machka - hope the winds aren't damaging. I saw something a day or two ago on Windy about a big storm hitting Norway - Terri, did you get a bit of that? At the time, it looked like Heather was far enough south to be out of its way.

Michelle in NV- Glad your grandmother made it through recovery. Neat memories of your paper boats. We kids did similar with pieces of wood after fierce Indiana thunderstorms where the heavy rain cut grooves in the driveway. We didn't go out in the middle of it as I recall, but as soon as it let up we'd be out there.

Heather
    - what a nice book display. Gratifying to see the collection of your hard work through the years. I've started reading your book and am enjoying your recognition of good traits you gained from your parents. I've been thinking more about that lately myself. Even though I recall being at odds with them, they had qualities that got them through life the best they knew how and I draw on them. Glad your book is sparking those memories.

Carol - Is your DH getting tired of his volunteer caretaker job? You and your DH have given a lot of time and effort to BIL's care. Your feelings are understandable and I'd feel the same way.

Barbara - how's your shoulder?

Tracey - clever card! Boy that's cute. Glad to hear you'll be at the painting stage and your house put back together.

Kylia - I'm like you in that I can play sneaky with health goals, so I'm content to just build on what's good for me and be aware of "rewards" not related to the scale or a measurement. Being able to increase steps without getting winded, for example. Realizing my legs are strong enough to walk up the stairs without holding the handrail. No more weight goal except to stay in the best range for me. Hope your heartbeat has settled down.

Rita - so glad you discovered you were doubling on the BP med. Bet you feel a lot better back to the normal routine. Good luck with all your upcoming doc visits.

Flea- great seeing you pop in. I can understand your DH still looking for work. I think guys can turn into hermits when they no longer have a reason to get up and be out among people and contributing. I recall your DH has interests that keep him busy? Enjoy the musical.

Welcome new ladies and sending hugs to those who need some. <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State