SHOW ME THE INSIDE OF YOUR FRIDGE DOOR!

Options
NouveauRee
NouveauRee Posts: 276 Member
Been on this journey for a while but haven’t been able to successfully meet goal or maintain at lows for long. Usually some life event causes me to derail and it’s back to some old unwanted habits. This time I’m really looking at the foods I’m eating more than CICO and I’m guilty of loving my condiments and sauces but oh boy those ingredients. This is today’s before shot of my fridge door.

28j99ny10d3u.jpeg

Yeah I know not great but owning it. My goal is to clean up all the store bought jarred sauces and dressings and such. I’m not willing to toss it all but would like to gradually use up and shift to better choices. Hoping to see some progress over the next few months. What’s in your fridge door? For those who eat “clean” now and don’t use store bought processed stuff what do you use your fridge door for now?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with store bought sauces and dressings. Just make sure they fit into your calorie allowance. Whether that means eating less of other food, using less of it or less frequently while you learn to make your own doesn't matter.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    Options
    My stance on a whole food diet, is I think, pretty well established and admittedly there's probably a dozen of your choices I wouldn't do, but for the most part condiments get a pass, don't beat yourself up too much over this, imo.
  • NouveauRee
    Options
    Thank you both for your input.

@yirara they do fit within calorie goals but personal goal is to move away from store bought packaged sauces/dressings/condiments etc and was trying to find a visual way to measure improvement as I decrease the use of store bought and focus more on whole minimally processed foods.

@neaderthin great username! not beating myself up and have made quite a few changes to improve but feel this is an area of my choices that needs work to help reach my nutritional goals. Did you use condiments in the past? If so, what helped you cut them out? Was it gradual or did you just toss everything and not look back?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    edited March 30
    Options
    I've always used condiments and always will. I make a lot of my own, a lot, but I also buy quite a few and have no intention of removing them. I'm low carb and ketogenic so I do limit accordingly, but other than that, I'm fine with a fridge door full of them. I don't buy salad dressings, mustards, ketchup or store bought mayo's for example, I make my own. I make a number of my own hot sauces as well but also buy quite a few and have a number of pepperoncino's, sambals, chili pastes, togarashi, harissa, and aji right now. I'm sure you'll find some condiments you like more than others and nothing wrong with that. :)
  • NouveauRee
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I can see as I eat more fresh whole foods my taste leaning towards more spicy. I already notice the sugar and salt more now in the ones I’m using so it makes me want to cut them out or use a lot less. Sounds like you have an amazing selection of sambals and hot sauces! Enjoy🌶️ 😋
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,231 Member
    Options
    If the issue is that a life event causes you to derail and go back to old habits, then getting rid of delicious foods you enjoy in moderation might not be the right answer.

The issue is maintaining habits when things go sideways. Let's say you get rid of everything except the Red Boat, capers, lemon juice, and sriracha. Then that life event happens. You won't be tempted to eat a bowl of mayonnaise, but what is left in your fridge or pantry that you can still go off the rails on?

It's not the pesto or the ketchup that is the issue. It's how you react to the difficulties that are destined to show up from time to time.

The trick is keep building good habits and stick to it. When things DO go sideways, because they will, just recognize them when they happen and STOP them and get back to your good habits.

I write this but I also don't buy mayo or ketchup. For something like tuna salad, I'll use toasted sesame oil and some balsamic instead of mayo. But that's not because mayo is evil. Well... yeah, some of it is. I can go off the rails with "healthy" foods though if I'm not careful.
  • NouveauRee
    Options
    You’re right and I’m working on my healing and empowering myself with the tools to not let future events derail me. I’m also working on my nutrition to build a solid foundation of healthy habits and a collection of nutritious foods and recipes that I enjoy and are going to help support my overall health. Your combo of sesame and balsamic sounds interesting. Will have to try those together. Thanks for the idea. As for ketchup unfortunately have not been able to convert my family to enjoy my homemade ketchup. The mayo I do like but try to limit. I finished the last jar around the holidays and was doing fine without it but just picked up a new jar for some recipes I’m making for family and friends who will be here tomorrow for Easter. Once this jar is gone will attempt to make some homemade. Thanks for your input. Enjoy your weekend.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    I get you! i wish I could do everything myself, but a) time and b) I live alone and there's no way I can make condiments and sauces that will stay fresh for long enough until I've eaten them all. Apart from pickled things. But considering I use very little condiments overall (apart from sambal, kecap manis and a few other things) and do make sauces for my dinner from scratch (thus I make curry sauces instead of buying pots) I don't think it's a big problem.
  • NouveauRee
    Options
    Yes 🙌 love that you make all your sauces from scratch for dinner! My hero🏅this is definitely my end goal. I know it will take more time and effort but being able to customize and knowing what goes into the sauces is becoming more important to me as I look more at labels and ingredients for nutritional reasons. Happy cooking!