Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

How About We Don't Delete Newsfeeds

Options

Replies

• Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    The family we have created through newsfeed is extremely important and we use newsfeed Every day!!Ive emailed several people at Francisco partners and haven’t heard back from anyone.But it’s obvious WE don’t matter,we don’t have any say in what we want as the users of mfp.Im sure it’s more to do with money.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    The family we have created through newsfeed is extremely important and we use newsfeed Every day!!Ive emailed several people at Francisco partners and haven’t heard back from anyone.But it’s obvious WE don’t matter,we don’t have any say in what we want as the users of mfp.Im sure it’s more to do with money.

I’m sorry you haven’t received any responses. I don’t know anyone that has reached out that has received a response.

Many business owners and financiers I know personally see the value of community engagement… I’m saddened that MFP does not. Actually a bit shocked.

• 1ns1d3_0u7
    1ns1d3_0u7 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    sunrise611 wrote: »
    durden wrote:
    Just wanted to clarify that we aren't bots- every post you see from a staff member is a real person- and we have no plans or intention of removing our community forums."

Then don't remove the Newsfeed either. The Newsfeed is basic and doesn't show us "badges" that we "earned" but we don't want or need that. I have been here for a long time and never paid attention to the "rewards" that the community/forum Profile displays to motivate us and cheer us on.

That's not important. What is important to us are the friendships that we cultivated over the years in our private Newsfeed. That's more rewarding and encouraging than a bunch of "badges".

Same, I have never been a "community" tab person here. I really prefer seeing my friends' goals and milestones in real time. Being able to congratulate wins and streaks as soon as I get on. That kind of support can be paramount to people who may be easily discouraged or frustrated. The support is literally RIGHT THERE when you open the app. I get, you can click here and here, then go there, and find your friend, comment here and done. To me it's just unnecessarily tedious when, as it stands, half the time I just get an error page... Just saying, I've seen a lot of friends who've already went to other apps and are just waiting for this to happen so they can abandon their profiles. Really sad, but it is what it is I suppose....
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,256 Member
    edited May 31
    Options
    It is clear that the decision makers at mfp don't care. Sad, but clear.

But did we honestly think they would? Maybe I'm just jaded, but they are in the business of making money, actual people aren't part of the equation.
  • OGJake12
    OGJake12 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I mean the MFP CPO is new in his role as of April so this was his first big power move and it displayed inexperience in leadership IMO. Even if they contracted out a new off-the-shelf replacement newsfeed product from a vendor, it would have to be pretty bare bones and low cost given the complexity of what was offered. We didn’t have much but it was exactly what was needed for the context of weight loss and fitness.

Also, framing unuseful features like community and activity feeds to be something of value to mask the removal of something that was both unique to this platform and heavily utilized (and attracted new users) is pretty low-effort and low-care. Not to mention the lack of transparency or about timing as mentioned by others above. We were MFP’s biggest fans and we accepted all the constant glitching because of this feature. To conclude, this was such an unprofessional move.

MFP is mid now.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    The camaraderie of the personal newsfeed has kept many, including myself - coming back for years. Without it.. how is it different than other fitness apps?

It will be interesting to see — in the light of so many user requests to keep the feature if the developers and corporate side see a value in it for the user experience.

:/ **S A V E O U R N E W S F E E D**

• LINIA
    Options
    **S A V E O U R N E W S F E E D**

• LINIA
    edited May 31
    Options
    gpl0rntnapl6.jpeg

Friday Lunch
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,192 Member
    Options
    slabrey85 wrote: »
    COGypsy wrote: »

But did we honestly think they would? Maybe I'm just jaded, but they are in the business of making money, actual people aren't part of the equation.

I expect them to care as long as doing so can make them money. I'm struggling to see how this change will make them money.

Sure, removing the Newsfeed instead of updating the code reduces a cost they needed to spend, I suppose. But from the reaction here getting rid of the Newsfeed will reduce the number of premium users they have and as it stands will definitely cut any ad revenue from us freebie users. That does not sound like it will net them any more profit overall.

Makes me wonder what they have coming down the pipeline.

Tax Write-off.
  • JamieS74
    JamieS74 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Why are some newsfeeds disappearing? When the community side isn't at all user friendly! I don't even get notifications on the app, I have to go on the PC version to see community notifications. I can't utilize my own activity feed in community on the app! They have completely messed up a good thing! KEEP THE NEWSFEED!
  • slabrey85
    slabrey85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

I expect them to care as long as doing so can make them money. I'm struggling to see how this change will make them money.

Sure, removing the Newsfeed instead of updating the code reduces a cost they needed to spend, I suppose. But from the reaction here getting rid of the Newsfeed will reduce the number of premium users they have and as it stands will definitely cut any ad revenue from us freebie users. That does not sound like it will net them any more profit overall.

Tax Write-off.

That sounds extremely short-sighted.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,192 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Tax Write-off.

That sounds extremely short-sighted.

Not at all.

Francisco Partners owns a plethora of businesses, many of which are likely doing really well. The company was worth 41.9 billion last year.

MFP was losing money, and FP bought it for $100 million less than what Under Armor paid for it. Compared to other purchases FP has made, MFP was relatively inexpensive at about $345 million or so.

It's not inconceivable that a reason FP was interested in MFP is because it loses money ... while their billion+ dollar purchases may make money.

Just a thought.
  • slabrey85
    slabrey85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Dropping a feature that will apparently cost the app customers instead of improving the coding to be more up to date and provide a better experience for a tax write-off would be incredibly short sighted and shareholders tend to not enjoy seeing any sort of drop off in usage numbers. It’s still early but it’s reminding me of Blockbuster and Borders.

We obviously have differing opinions. I very much dislike the forum setup on mobile so unless they have some vast improvements coming? I’m going to be researching other options as well.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,369 Member
    Options
    The Premium version adds no value to my use of MFP but I'd pay a fee to keep my Newsfeed. And it was an opportunity to hit me with at least one ad so there's potential for revenue there.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Just stopping by to say that my newsfeed and my friends here were the only reason I stick with MFP.

I log food in another app.

Having my cheering squad of friends, some I’ve known for years, being inspired by them, being there to support others… I’m so sad to lose my friends and support group.

if you’re listening, developers, please consider bringing some form of the newsfeed back.