WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2024

Options

Replies

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,115 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Hello KJ! Good luck with your fresh start! You can do this!

My walking friend is out of town this weekend. That's okay because my cold is lingering. I don't feel like I am getting any stronger. I will walk some.

I spend a lot of time reading (while watching my dad). The latest is A Cold Dark Place by Toni Anderson. It's a perfect blend of romance and murder mystery. It's supposed to be the first of a series, but the next book has totally different characters?

Have a great day! May everyone be happy, healthy, safe and free!

Annie in Delaware
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,195 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Oh did I mention that three of my families are pregnant?! I will have three new infants in my care by January! That will give me eight babies under 2! :o:s This makes me tired to think about.

Are you allowed to have so many children under 2? When I was in childcare many years ago, it was 1 adult to 3 babies, then once they were over 2, it went to 1 adult per 5 children.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka - Well done! Congratulations on one big job finished!

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

Thanks!

Big ... and surprisingly painful. I'm so stiff and sore!! My upper body is not happy with me. But it counts as exercise!

• Babytessie01
    Babytessie01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @grandmallie - so sorry to hear about your families loss. This happened to my sister. She was carrying twins and lost one of them. We now only have one beautiful baby boy I definitely will be praying for your family.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,115 Member
    Options
    Machka Yay for your exercise!

I went for a walk with my Dad. I am so out of shape! I won't list my aches and pains. I think my cold made everything a little bit worse. Oh well, I have to work with the body I have, not the body I dream of.

Annie in Delaware
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    :)
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,539 Member
    edited June 15
    Options
    KJ - A single day of your life would leave me laid out flat, moaning on the floor, exhausted and with my last nerve stomped on... I could not survive it! I'm glad to hear you are slacking off on the volunteer thing, but I know a lot of whining will be heard - it's a give-em-an-inch situation, I know. For the last four years I worked, I worked in organizations that depended on volunteers, and watched more than one of the really good ones burn out. Volunteers are needed, but the dependable, hard-working ones are often leaned on much too hard. I'm glad you enjoy hearing about Corey's and my life together... I've wondered lately if I natter on too much about it.

Speaking of which - mowing's done, and only one daddy long-legs dropped on me this time. Those things make me twitch. Yurk. Anyway, I just ferried in his third and final cup of coffee. (I figured it would be 9 a.m., and I called it pretty close! :smiley: ) Done with my shower, time to sling on those lovely compression stockings and get down to Wally-World for the fresh fruits and veg for this weekend and his lunches for the week. Then it's back home in the cool and doodle around getting a few things done inside the house!

Later, babies,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • Machka9
    Options
    In addition to painting on weekends, I've also been more active in the evenings after work, and even after painting because I'm doing a bit of packing or getting things ready to pack. So I'm hopping up when the commercials come on and doing this or that.

It is all good for me, I'm sure. I should have been doing more of it over the past 6 months, but I've been quite lazy since getting COVID in December.

While I painted, I kept thinking that there has to be a better roller brush thing. I really didn't like it, and when I look at our hardware store's site, they all look the same. Like this:

2281q976g2s4.png

In theory, that should be OK, I guess because heaps of people have used them, but it just didn't work well for me.

I do see that there is something out there called a Better Grip that looks like this. The handle that sticks out can be removed and a person can hold the handle like they would a suitcase handle. I think that would work better for me, and especially for regularly switching hands. With the usual paint roller, it really didn't feel right when I switched to my left hand. It just didn't feel properly balanced for the left hand.

36sde6b8osvb.png

I'll have to keep this one in mind if we ever decide to paint again. Meanwhile I'll be happy to retire from painting for a while.

M in Oz

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,968 Member
    Options
    Devastating news
    Tracy lost baby A, the VacterL baby but they share a placenta so its iffy about the other now... please keep them all in your prayers she is devestated.. As is grandma.

So sorry Allie… Just be there for Tracy and Kyle. And take care of you. She will need you now, especially with Miles. Do they have Tracy on bed rest or in the hospital for now?

RVRita in Roswell 😢
  • kevrit
    edited June 15
    Options
    Same breakfast yesterday and today, only today I had bought some fresh raspberries so added 1/3 cup to the cereal.
    Yesterday dinner was fish (not sure what kind as DH separated a big pkg and didn’t label it) stuffed with shrimp, pan fried potatoes (in avocado oil), and summer squash with a couple pieces of left over sweet potatoes.
    f0q1qgpkhfg5.jpeg

Day before, I had some leftover ham that DH made into ham salad on honey wheat bread and a bowl of cucumbers in homemade Italian dressing.
    j8ke5emnv1lq.jpeg

The ‘green thing’ was a pickled asparagus than my DH made.

Supper last night was Oikos Triple Zero strawberry and a handful of nuts. I also had a tiny cup of chocolate ice cream, the ones you get from Walmart for parties. I buy them because one of my dogs loves vanilla ice cream and for us, these are in pre-sized 100 calorie cups.

Monday, I go for thyroid bloodwork review. I’m hoping that explains why I feel so tired all the time. I should get new Prediabetes class info for week 2 tomorrow. So far so good!

My goals have been 2-15 minute walks daily, 2 days of strength training, yoga 3X a week, meditation 10 minutes every day, and 64-80 oz of water every day.

RVRita in Roswell

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,540 Member
    Options
    Sue- gosh can't get rid of her huh? She sounds like a user and Karma will come back to bite her in the butt.
    I am a bit overwhelmed i have to grocery shop again...but want to get the right stuff,but to do that I have to go to different stores.
    I can do grocery store pick up for a couple.. but have to kinda figure out what im going to eat the next few weeks.
    Oh well..I'll figure it out.

See what you have first in your cabinets, freezer, and pantry to make meals, and add ingredients accordingly. Have easy meal nights when what you planned just isn't in the cards. Only buy what's on your list.😁💖🤗
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

One bit of advice my mother gave me years ago, and I stress with my kids, shop on the outside of the store. Don't browse the aisles. Only go into the lanes when you have something very specific to get.

I'm glad that the drug is working for you, Allie.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

Very wise advice! Also don't shop at eye level that's where the pricier brands live.👍🏼
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,540 Member
    Options
    Comforting hugs to you Allie during this difficult time. My condolences.😥🙏
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • kevrit
    Options
    Week 2 of my pre-diabetes class.
    Talking about portions and the “my plate” way of eating. I ordered a sectioned plate from Amazon to help me get used to this way of eating.
    Overview
    Session 2:
    Food and Calorie Balance
    The goal of this session is to better understand what a balanced meal should include: lean protein, healthy fat, fruits, vegetables, dairy and whole grains. To do this, you will use MyPlate as a guide (developed by the USDA) as well as nutrition facts labels. When used, these tools can help you achieve balanced meals for good health and weight loss.

The MyPlate method is comprised of 5 main food groups: fruits, vegetables, grains, protein, and dairy. Aim to fill one half of your plate with fruits and vegetables. This will help to reduce the calories of each meal and increase the nutrition you receive. Next, designate a quarter or your plate to whole grains. This can include whole grain pasta, bread, or cereal like oatmeal, or even quinoa and millet. For the last quarter of your plate, choose a lean protein. This includes meat, fish, beans, eggs, lentils, and nuts.
    ➢ 1⁄2 of your plate = fruits and vegetables
    ➢ 1⁄4 of your plate = whole grains
    ➢ 1⁄4 of your plate = lean proteins
    ➢ 1 serving of dairy
    ✓ Skill Building Activity: Grocery Shopping for MyPlate (your coach will lead you through this activity)
    The 5 Main Food Groups
    ➢ Fruits (examples: berries, banana, apple & pear) Serving size:
    ● 1 medium fruit (about the size of a baseball)
    ● 1⁄2 cup chopped, cooked, or canned fruit
    ● 1⁄2 cup 100% fruit juice
    ➢ Vegetables (examples: spinach, carrot & broccoli) Serving size:

● 1 cup of raw leafy vegetables
    ● 1⁄2 cup of other vegetables
    ● 1⁄2 cup of vegetable juice
    ➢ Grains (examples: pasta, bread, tortillas & oatmeal) Serving size:
    ● 1 slice of bread or 1 cup of cold cereal
    ● 1⁄2 cup of cooked rice, cooked pasta or cooked cereal
    ➢ Proteins (examples: poultry, seafood, beans, eggs, processed soy products, nuts & seeds)
    Serving size:
    ● 1 ounce of meat, poultry or fish
    ● 1⁄4 cup cooked beans or 1 egg
    ● 1 tablespoon of peanut butter or 1⁄2 ounce of nuts or seeds
    ➢ Dairy (examples: milk, yogurt & cheese) Serving size:
    ● 1 cup (8 ounces) of milk or yogurt
    ● 1 to 1 1⁄2 ounces of cheese
    What’s Missing?
    In recent years, we have learned the importance of healthy fats like nuts, seeds, oil and avocados. It is important to include a serving of healthy fat at each meal as well. Healthy fats will help your body to absorb certain vitamins and help you to feel fuller longer.

➢ Healthy fats (examples: vegetable oils, avocados, nuts & seeds)
    Serving size:
    ● 1 tablespoon of vegetable oils
    ● 1 ounce of nuts or seeds
    You will work with your coach to find the right amount of
    healthy fats for your body.
    ✓ Skill Building Activity: Portioning Practice (your coach will lead you through this activity)

What About Snacks?
    Snacking should be balanced as well. Balanced snacks ensure that your body receives a variety of nutrients to help you feel fuller for longer. Your coach will help you to choose balanced snacks that include a combination of 2 or more different food groups.
    Label Reading
    As you begin to look at your
    meal as a whole picture, you
    will be able to determine
    which food groups you tend to overeat and which food groups you need to include more. The overall goal is to make meals and snacks as nutritious and delicious as possible.
    This is where a food label can come in handy. By understanding how to successfully navigate the nutrition facts label on a food, you can pick more nutritious foods to fill your plate. You may be in the habit of looking at food

labels to avoid calories or fats or carbohydrates. We encourage you to also look at nutrients like fiber and vitamins/minerals. A food may be low in calories, but that does not mean it offers your body the nutrition it needs.
    Sometimes when you are reading labels, you may have to weigh the pros and cons. For example, a food may be higher in calories, but if it is packed with fiber, protein and vitamins, it may be worth it. Your coach can help you decide which foods to buy and which foods to pass up.
    Here are some things to pay special attention to when reading labels:
    ➢ Check out the serving size, servings per container and calories: Check servings and ask yourself how many servings you are eating. The calories & nutrition facts listed are based on 1 serving.
    ➢ Limit saturated fat, trans fat, sugar and sodium: Eating too much of these nutrients may increase your risk for certain chronic diseases. In later sessions, you will learn more details about saturated fat, trans fat and sugar. Foods that have 5% or less of these nutrients = ideal.
    ➢ Get enough fiber and important nutrients: Eating enough fiber, vitamins and minerals can improve your health and help reduce your risk of developing chronic diseases. 20% or more of a nutrient = a high source.
    ➢ Remember: The fewer ingredients, the better:
    The ingredient list is organized in order of quantity. This means the first ingredient is found in the largest amount. Typically, fewer the ingredients the better. As a general rule

of thumb, try to eat foods that have ingredients you recognize and can pronounce. The chart below lists ingredients you want more or less of in the products you eat:
    More...
    Less...
    Whole Foods: Fruits, Veggies, Nuts & Eggs
    Whole Grains: Whole Wheat, Oats, etc.
    High Fructose Corn Syrup & Corn Syrup
    Refined Grains: Enriched Flour, White Rice, etc.
    Olive Oil, Canola Oil & Grapeseed Oil
    Hydrogenated, Partially Hydrogenated Fats &Oils
    Herbs and Spices (basil, cinnamon, cilantro)
    Salt or ingredients starting with Sodium.
    ✓ Skill Building Activity: Being a Food Label Detective (your coach will lead you through this activity)
    How MyPlate Benefits Your Health
    Helps you to make thoughtful choices about the type of food you put on your plate.
    Prevents overeating by supporting proper portions.

Improves satisfaction by providing enough (but not too much) fat, protein and fiber at each meal.
    Provides a variety of foods from all 5 food groups to prevent boredom with healthy habits.
    Fuels your body well with foods rich in nutrients yet lower in calories.
    ✓Skill Building Activity: MyPlate Meal Makeover (your coach will lead you through this activity)
    Summary
    By balancing your meals using the MyPlate method, you can move closer toward good health and weight loss. Over the next few months, you will learn even more about portion sizes, label reading and planning meals. For this week, simply try to make your plate look more like MyPlate and know that your coach will help you to fine tune from there.
    Activities:
    □ Practice portioning a variety of foods with measuring cups to get a visual idea of proper portioning. Take pictures to share with your coach on the app or website.

□ Complete the MyPlate Meal Makeover Handout using one of your favorite meals. Then, practice balancing your meals and snacks according to MyPlate.
    □ Goal Setting: Work with your coach to set one goal this week associated with this session. Example: I will fill half of my dinner plate with fruits and veggies.
    List your goal here or message it to your coach: __________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________
    Discussion and Questions:
    □ Ask your coach questions about how to portion some of your favorite foods.
    □ Ask your group members for ideas on creating balanced snacks.
    □ Join in on the group discussion and post one benefit of eating by the MyPlate guidelines.
    □ When reading the labels, what did you find most surprising? Share what you discovered!
    “Love yourself. Move your body. Watch your portions.” -Richard Simmons

MyPlate
    Follow these tips for a healthy and balanced diet:
    ✔ Fill 1⁄2 of your plate with fruits and vegetables.
    ✔Eat a variety of colors!
    ✔ Fill 1⁄4 of your plate with lean protein.
    ✔ Choose whole grains to make up the remaining 1⁄4 of
    your plate.
    ✔Add low-fat dairy to complete
    your meal.
    Vegetables:
    ▪ Choose frozen, fresh, or canned varieties. Buy low-sodium canned vegetables or rinse before eating.
    Fruits:
    ▪ Choose fresh, frozen, dried, or canned varieties. If choosing canned fruits, buy fruits in their own juice.
    Whole Grains:
    ▪ Choose grains that list “whole,”
    “whole grain” or “100% whole” as
    the first ingredient in the list of ingredients.
    Dairy:
    ▪ Purchase low-fat dairy products. They have the same amount of calcium and other nutrients as 2% and whole milk, but have less calories and fat.
    Protein:
    ▪ Lean meats (those with less fat), seafood, eggs, beans, nuts and seeds, and soy all make great choices.

Tools for Measuring and Portioning Foods
    ➢Measuring Cups
    o Great for measuring grains,
    dry goods, and chopped
    fruits/veggies.
    o Usually come in ​1/4 ​cup,
    1/3​ cup, ​1/2 ​cup and 1 cup
    sizes.
    o Use the flat side of a knife to
    level off the top of the cup.
    ➢Measuring Spoons
    o Ideal for measuring herbs,
    spices, seasonings, nut butters,
    and small amounts of liquids.
    o There are 3 teaspoons (tsp.) in 1
    tablespoon (tbsp.), and 4 tbsp.
    in 1⁄4 cup.
    o Usually come ​1/8​ tsp., 1⁄4 tsp., 1⁄2
    tsp., 1 tsp., 1⁄2 tbsp., and 1 tbsp. sizes.
    ➢Glass Measuring Cups
    o Used for measuring liquids.
    o Most common sizes are 1 cup
    and 2 cup measures.
    o Set a glass measuring cup on a
    flat surface and pour in the liquid as you watch to achieve the desired amount.

Balanced Snack Ideas
    Balanced snacks contain a mix of nutrients to help you stay full and energized for longer. They usually consist of a protein, carbohydrate and healthy fat.
    Look at the list of ideas below and stock up on some of your favorites:
    􏰀 Cucumber slices and hummus
    􏰀 Sliced bell peppers and cottage cheese
    􏰀 Homemade tortilla chips and black bean dip
    􏰀 Apple with a cheese stick
    􏰀 Air popped popcorn and almonds
    􏰀 Celery spread with peanut butter
    􏰀 Rice cake with sunflower seed butter and raisins
    􏰀Frozen grapes or frozen banana on a stick, dipped in Greek yogurt
    􏰀 A small bowl of cereal with milk
    􏰀 Fresh orange and handful of pumpkin seeds

Tips to Help You Read a Food Label
    1) ​Keep this in mind
    o The % Daily Value of each nutrient is based on 2,000 calories daily.
    o The servings per container:
    When you eat 2 servings of a food, you consume twice the calories and nutrients listed on the food label.
    2) ​Make your calories count
    o Compare the calories on the label
    with the nutrients they offer.
    o Read the ingredient list and look for
    foods low in added sugars. Be sure that
    added sugars are not one of the first few ingredients. These added sugars provide
    calories with few nutrients.
    o Some names for added sugars
    include sucrose, glucose, high fructose
    corn syrup, corn syrup, maple syrup, and fructose.
    3) ​What is % Daily Value (%DV)?
    o The % Daily Value is the percentage of each nutrient in a single serving.
    o If you want to eat less of a certain nutrient, then pick foods with a lower % DV, such as 5% or less.
    o If you want to eat more of a certain nutrient, then pick foods with a higher % DV, such as 20% or more.

MyPlate “Meal Makeover” Activity
    Typical meal at McDonald’s:​ ​1,020 cals
    ▪ Quarter Pounder with Cheese (540 cals) ▪ Medium French Fries (340 cals)
    ▪ 16 oz. Soda (140 cals)
    MyPlate “Meal Makeover” at McDonald’s:​ ​465 cals ▪ Cheeseburger (300 cals)
    ▪ Side Salad (15 cals) with Italian Dressing (50 cals)
    ▪ 1% low-fat milk jug (100 cals)
    By applying MyPlate guidelines to the above meal, the calories are reduced by over 500 calories!
    Give it a try below with a meal of your own. 1.Typical meal at a restaurant or your home:
    2.MyPlate “Meal Makeover” of this meal:

RvRita
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :)Rita Great information 🌻❤👣🚶‍♀️
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,034 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Oh did I mention that three of my families are pregnant?! I will have three new infants in my care by January! That will give me eight babies under 2! :o:s This makes me tired to think about.

Your limits are higher than they are in our county- I can only have 2 under 2 unless I have no other kids, then I can have four(well, that is when I was licensed-I am now licensed exempt so only can have one family at a time) Large family, which is yours I think is 6 if only infants.