WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2024

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    edited June 26
    Options
    Machka - You're pushing yourself awfully hard, kiddo, with the move and everything at work, as well. Any word on whether you'll get the position(s) you've interviewed for? Hope the migraine has subsided.

Later, my dears,
    Lisa in AR

Migraine is continuing but a bit less than yesterday. Slowly but surely easing up.

The move is stressing me out. Working almost full-time (away from home close to 10 hours a day 3 days one week and 4 days the next, then working from home a full 8 hours one day each week) while trying to move house is feeling like a lot.

My husband is helping but everything is much slower than it used to be. He has great ideas and wants to do this and that, but takes a long, long time to process it all and work out how it needs to be done. For example, he'd like to build a shed for the garden stuff and as a workshop. He can do it ... eventually ... but we're running out of time and he won't be able to do all he wants to do before our time is up here. So I've arranged a storage unit for 6 months for a lot of the stuff downstairs and outside until we've organised everything and have room for it in the house or shed (when it is built).

I plunged ahead with the painting while he was being hesitant. I'm now trying to organise a removalist for the big stuff here and he's being hesitant. I've measured most of the big stuff but need a few more pieces outside and downstairs measured, but he's being hesitant (and it's dark, cold and wet outside so I didn't go out to do it myself this evening).

Meanwhile at work I'm trying to sort out the messiest bunch of data before auditors come along and ask what's going on with it. I'm getting there, but it's slow going and I'm feeling a bit of pressure.

And no, nothing else yet. Right at the moment, I'm taking a little break from applications and interviews because there's nothing to apply for. Thank goodness. I suspect more will come up soon though.

Today I climbed 25 flights of stairs up and 29 flights down.
    I walked a bit (but it was raining and cold so it was just shop and mall walking).
    I moved quite a few boxes ready to be loaded into the van.
    And I did a whole lot of data and database work.
    Oh, I also put together a spreadsheet for measurements of the big stuff. :)

M in Oz

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    Options
    (((Michelle)))

Tracey I know what you mean by 160. I was at 161. Most of high school I was 155 and was not happy with that. I am happy to be in the low 160's now. Turned the corner in the number is not as important as how I feel and if I am having other health issues.Many markers have improved as I slowly lose weight.

Learning more and more how our microbiome is key to our health. Lifestyle and diet are major contributors to a healthy microbiome. I talked with friend last night who is on my same page. She is about my age and healthy. We both commented on how many we know who are starting to fall apart. Drinking, smoking, and junk food seem to be the main culprits. Smoking uses up nutrients your body needs...alcohol and junk food give you little to none of the nutrients you need and contribute to fatty liver.

I still think of the friend who said think of your body as your home. If you neglect or trash your home you see the results. It is true for our bodies too. I remember my sister is the throws of her cancer wishing she could have a new body. She was also the one who would say I will start tomorrow. I also remember her snacking on a bag or Oreos to mitigate her stress. She died at age 59.

I only get one body and it is my responsibility to do right by it.

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Carol - cute pink cast on your granddaughter. Any idea how long she'll have to wear it?

Allie - I'm unfamiliar with what happens when one of the twins dies in utero. I guess the body resorbs it or puts it in suspended animation of sorts? You haven't mentioned Tracy going in for any procedure. Praying the rest of her pregnancy goes fine.

Rita - thank you again for the info regarding your meals. Are you also tracking them in MFP? I'd be curious what the calories amount to as well as the macros with recommendations from your diabetes prevention program.

This morning I received my calorie and macro recommendation from the Diabetes Prevention coach who is an RD.

She put me at 1500 calories: 80 gm of protein, 44 gm of fats and the rest carbs... over 200 gm which is over twice what I usually eat and I've been successful with slow weight loss over the past few months by just cutting carbs back and adding more healthy fats, so I'm hesitant to start eating more carbs.

I know this is her best guess based on her accepted guidelines and I bet we'll be encouraged to tweak it as time goes on. I'll reset my macro goals a bit (not as drastically as she recommends) and we'll see what happens.

The words of Scarlett O'Hara come to mind, something like this: "As God is my witness, I'll never go hungry again." :p

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

@Lanette, I would take the protein number but sounds almost like my numbers: 1350 calories, 169 grams carbohydrates, 65 protein, and 45 fat. My protein is lower b/c my kidney doc recommended it for me. My diary is open if you want to check the calories of what I’m eating. I do add in my exercise calories, just be aware my total calories may be higher but it is because of the exercises. I did notice that MFP is doubling my walking times, not sure why yet, but need to fix it!

RVRita is Roswell
  • kevrit
    Options
    m0qabh00rc93.jpeg
    Yesterday’s dinner: tomato sauce with sausage for protein, wontons from Sam’s club, and broccolini
    I had 20 grapes, 1 apricot, 5 macadamia nuts and strawberry parfait using a rice cake as the bottom then layers of strawberries and cool whip. DH made me a grill cheese for supper using honey wheat bread and provolone cheese. I had asked for 1 toast with avocado… LOL total calories 1492. the grill cheese put me over. Breakfast was sugar free maple oatmeal, almond milk, and 1/2 banana.

RVRita in Roswell.. 🛸
  • kevrit
    Options
    Today is forgive me if I do not defrost my refrigerator often enough and eat chocolate pudding with coconut shreds instead!

885227f0zixq.jpeg
    jpdxnz96wl3a.jpeg
    9hldg9tgvlh4.jpeg

RVRita in Roswell 👽

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Outside short bike ride- 1hr 34min 22sec, 238elev, 72aw, 14.3amph, 125ahr, 156mhr, 22.44mi= 815c
    Strava app = 451c
    Walk to me family and back- 44.32min, 28elev, 3.02ap, 92ahr, 108mhr, 2.25mi= 216c
    Strava app= 275c
    Walk home to gym- 12.45min, .55mi= 66c
    Strava app= 67c
    Rowing machine- 25min, 109ahr, 128mhr, 3710meters, 2.31mi= 202c
    Walk gym to home- 11.08min, 2.80ap, .55mi= 53c
    Strava app= 67c

Total cal 1352

This was supposed to be an easy day? Well, it was a short ride, but a fast one
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,364 Member
    Options
    Went out in the cool of the evening for a shuffle around the block. About 17 minutes very slow walk. I was pleased that I got outside on the hottest day of the year so far. The shade was very pleasant.
    My pizza topping was a triumph. :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Margaret--You have a beautiful voice.
    Michele--I understand about your friend. I am still working through my friends passing. We took the bench last Saturday to the rehab center and glad that is done. Still can't believe at times she is gone.
    Tracey--Thanks for sharing the song about aging. Sure sounds like I feel a lot of the time.
    Blessing, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Afternoon all
    Ugh
    Im telling you ive been doing so well money wise until I had to pay the state taxes and that has messed up the rest of my bills ao now im overdrawn by 120.00 ,Friday all will be well with social security and alimony deposit.. but sheesh then July comes and the car taxes show up ..lordy lordy
    Well.. it could be alot worse..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,364 Member
    Options
    The kids did get to the beach today and went for pizza at Fatto afterwards. They said it was bliss!
    otmgsj3ovmsc.jpg

:p Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    Options
    Lanette I was almost 5 8 I am now 5 7. I was 160 on scale this morning so if I go by 5 7 I am at 25.1 5 8 24.3 so I figure I am essentially in the normal range now. BP is 114/74 now. So quite happy with my progress.

Had a lovely lunch with son. We ate outside on a deck overlooking boat launch to Mississippi River. I had broiled walleye and broccoli. Son have grilled chicken breast and broccoli. He did have a coke and I had coffee with no cream or sugar. We split a piece of bumbleberry pie. We used to have a full piece to ourselves. It is made by a well known bakery in the area and it is filled with blackberries, blueberries, raspberries and minimal sugar. It is one of the few times I will still have a bit of gluten. I still consider it a win. He is listening to me and how important it is to change his diet. Highly processed food is his diet. Unfortunately when he was little he was treated too often with antibiotics because of ear infections. I didn't know better at the time how this could affect him long term.

The lecture I listened to last night did stress it is important not to feel deprived on your diet. One reason variety in whatever diet works for you is important. He also pointed out that one reason sleep is so important is our bodies continue to burn fat while you sleep.

It is important to add fiber gradually especially if you are not used to it. Too much too soon can upset your stomach and then you decide it is not right for you which does not help in the long run.
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :) My visit to the oral surgeon yesterday turned out well. I went with the right attitude and the belief that if other people could navigate this challenge, so could I. My friend drove me to the appointment so I had a friend to talk to who was understanding yet unaffected. Jake is understanding, but also very affected by whatever I'm going through and like most men, wants to fix things rather than just listen. My friend is the one I take every 4-6 weeks to her treatment for macular degeneration. She needs a ride because they dilate her eyes so she can't drive home. She was glad to be able to return the favor by driving me. Everyone at the oral surgeon's office was kind and patient with me. One of the first questions was whether I wanted to be awake or asleep for the extraction. My quick answer was "asleep" but then I had second thoughts about safety and expense and whether I was just being a baby about the whole thing. What I really wanted was to be snatched by surprise with a chloroform cloth over my face and wake up later with the process over. That wasn't a choice. Fortunately, after the doctor explained the process and some special considerations that were specific to my case, he said that the asleep plan would be better for me. It begins with two valium at home followed by an IV during the procedure. My friend will drive me over, wait for me, and take me home after so Jake can stay home with the puppy. It could have been scheduled for next Tuesday but we already had an appointment for an important meeting that we couldn't postpone so it will be on July 9,

:'( Jake is even more tired and more stressed with new chemo drugs that he started this week. It is something he will take indefinitely with blood tests and Zoom meetings with the doctor every four weeks.

:)Meg, I just listened to a podcast interview with a man who has been taking Ozempic and studying the long term effects of it. He had many positive things to say. I am glad it is working for you.

:)Allie, I hear you with those sudden big expenses. We have home and auto insurance bills coming up along with the dental bills. We knew about the insurance although it was higher than we had expected but the dental stuff was a big surprise.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Oddly Tracy has been secretive about where they went on vacation, and I told her to send me some pictures of mr munchkin while they are gone.. I did hear from her this morning about Miles being cranky and they have neighbors and its quiet time from 10 pm - 7am ..and he won't sit in the stroller and wants to run around everywhere.
    Hmmm don't know but went over and got Ginger out and fed ,poor little girl spends alot of time alone.
    I can't have her here,because she is a shedder and with Alfie and Siri it would be Chaos..
    Will take her some treats tomorrow..
    Doing my best to keep things going..
    Trudy doesn't want to do the 2026 cruise with me no worries thought I would ask