I wanna give up. I love eating, I don't like walking

Options
aleena2975
aleena2975 Posts: 26 Member
edited June 28 in Health and Weight Loss
Ugh, and the numbers game with my calories and macros is annoying. I'll admit in my previous routine sometimes I ate badly because I am a foodie. However in this new phase of losing weight (again) my eating is very healthy. I have minimal adjustments I have to make with regards to getting rid of unhealthy snacks or candy.

But even though I eat healthy and attend a workout class that I mostly love (some days it does feel too hard), I still have to adjust how MUCH I eat. Even at 1600 calories, I can't enjoy the amount of carbs I want because of my damn exercise bar I ate this morning. All a girl wants is some rice for dinner. But my macros aren't allowing for it. It feels exhausting to be so on top of my game and always searching for the perfect snacks I can fit into my diet, and then how to manage my dinners accordingly. Last night I wasn't hungry but I still had a hard time sleeping as my dinner was extremely low carb (I had already eaten my carbs for the day so I had cauliflower rice).

If you think this is a hangry rant you are also wrong. I just had the most delicious chobani flip yogurt after my lunch, which, as you could've probably guessed, puts me over my cal limit by 160. I'm annoyed. It seems my old no tracking methods of eating much less than I normally do was more effective and easier than having to think about what I can have all the time. It's also annoying because calorie restriction allows you to have some things, but also restricts so it's not too much. In a restriction mindset (low carb, eat minimally) you can't have MOST things, so you don't really get false hope. Restriction can also last for a short few weeks while you rapidly loose the weight. In this "healthier" method I am trying, I wait 6 weeks to see if a pound will come off. And then I get taunted by my gym to "accept the number" or "not focus on the number" or "focus on the clothes size going down" but never to actually get the number down too!

Also, how the hell do I fit in a daily walk. I love laying down or just sitting!

Sincerely,
Frustrated Frannie

Replies

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    It is possible to ignore macros for the sake of commitment and just stick to your calorie allotment.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I'll just throw this in - don't let yourself become a slave to your tools. Use the tools that work but throw away the ones that don't.

Focus on your overall diet, aim for a target range of calories and choose a few things to focus on. For me it is sugar, fiber, and protein, and an effort to hydrate better. For everything else, it is what it is. It's a recipe for insanity to try to make everything on the chart turn out just right every day.
  • __Alex___
    __Alex___ Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You're making this too complicated and awful. Forget calories and carbs.

Go on a 30 minute walk every day.
    Make sure your first meal is mostly protein.
    Don't eat heavy carbs (rice, pasta, potatoes) for dinner.

Do that for a month and see where you are. I bet happier and healthier.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    __Alex___ wrote: »
    You're making this too complicated and awful. Forget calories and carbs.

Go on a 30 minute walk every day.
    Make sure your first meal is mostly protein.
    Don't eat heavy carbs (rice, pasta, potatoes) for dinner.

Do that for a month and see where you are. I bet happier and healthier.
    Eat what you want when you want - just stick to your overall calorie goal. If you WANT “heavy” carbs in the evening then eat them! (Carbs at dinner are not evil, people!)

As an example: I eat a carb- heavy diet (currently 200-250g per day, but it’s not unusual to go over 300g on some days). I am now in maintenance but I lost weight eating high carb and lower fat - personally I am not a fan of high fat foods, so I ate what felt good to me. For weight loss the overall calorie intake is what matters. For health you need adequate protein and fats, and for satiety you need to find what works for you. Sounds to me like you need more carbs to feel full. Why not try that for a while and see how you go?

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Then give up.

Or don't walk if you don't like it. The calorie expenditure for walking is rather low anyway. Find an activity you enjoy for health, not for weightloss.

Eat the way you enjoy eating, even if it's 60% carbs. There's no problem with that. Macros are totally unimportant for weightloss. Yeah, they are important for satiety and for being happy, but which macros do that for someone is totally individual.

In summary: All you need is a calorie deficit. No special macros needed, no exercise. And if you exercise then you should eat at least a part of the exercise calories back, provided your tracking is on track and you're not overeating accidentally.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Addition: Don't make this harder for yourself. Find the easiest and most enjoyable way to lose the weight, really.
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,431 Member
    edited June 29
    Options
    Per you
    "I'm annoyed. It seems my old no tracking methods of eating much less than I normally do was more effective and easier than having to think about what I can have all the time"

Go back to your old method then. No one decides on your macros but you. Low carb is NOT the only way to lose weight.

"Also, how the hell do I fit in a daily walk. I love laying down or just sitting!"

If you don't want to go for a walk, just try to be more active in general (fidgety - embrace little ways to move more) and get some extra steps that way. There are threads on NEAT, check them out, some of the ideas are asinine (imo), but other suggestions aren't bad - the old mantra of "park farther away when you shop" for example.
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Addition: Don't make this harder for yourself. Find the easiest and most enjoyable way to lose the weight, really.

Hear, hear 👏
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    edited June 29
    Options
    LOL, right after I posted that I went to my meditation site for my daily thought...this is it:
    Thought for the Day
    Saturday 29 June

It is permissible to take life's blessings with both hands provided thou dost know thyself prepared in the opposite event to take them just as gladly. This applies to food and friends and kindred, to anything God gives and takes away.

— Meister Eckhart

Eknath Easwaran's Commentary:

In order to live in freedom, we must learn to accept a temporary disappointment, if necessary, when it is for our permanent well-being. Sometimes, when we want to eat something that appeals to us, or when we want to eat a little more than is necessary, we can’t help feeling disappointment as we push away from the table. We cannot help thinking that we could as well have stayed on for five more minutes of pleasure, forgetting that it would probably be followed by five hours of stomachache at night. The right time to get up from the meal is when we want just a little more. This is real artistry, real gourmet judgment: when we find that everything is so good that we would like to have one more helping, we get up and walk away.

The Thought for the Day is today's entry from Eknath Easwaran's Words to Live By.

https://www.bmcm.org/inspiration/thought-day/it-is-permissible-to-take-lifes-blessing/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    What happens if you give up? You'll only resort to just getting heavier and risking higher health issues.

Mentality is usually the main issue people fail at weight loss. You have to wrap your head around thinking that you DON'T need to eat so much and that you DON'T need to fully satisfy your food cravings day in and out.

As for walking, you SET A TIME and just do it. There's really no other way around it. If you work a job where you have to be behind a desk all day, there are now slim line walkers that can be used at stand up desks.

But you HAVE TO WANT TO DO IT. If not, then it's just going to be an effort in vain.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 40 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png