Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2024

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,199 Member
    Thank you Barbies for the new month!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,123 Member
    <3
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 4,174 Member
    Barbie - thank you so much for moving us into August. Time is whizzing by!

And I wanted to mention how neat it is you have a walking partner with a dog, and you've found some common ground with her. I'm sure you're a valuable resource for any new person in the neighborhood.

Kim - it would be great if your mom could prepay her cremation expenses and get that all taken care of. I need to do that, too.

Rita - I forgot to mention earlier, I'm also vegetable-challenged it seems. You are doing much better than I am with the "half of your plate with vegetables" plan. I bought some baby carrots and try to have cooked broccoli in the fridge now I can add to breakfast and lunch. It's not half the plate but it's a vegetable at least. Suppertime I seem to do better with a big salad. I think every little bit helps. I love seeing your meals - your DH is a good cook and it's nice he loves creating foods to help you on your diabetes prevention plan.

Sue - I'm not looking forward to the heat again but it won't be like we had a month ago, plus the shorter days help make it more bearable. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Beverley - welcome! Lots of gals in this thread having success with different methods. You've come to the right place. As Barbie said, join in any conversation that interests you and ask questions if you wish. :p

About Pantry Storage - when we moved into this house, part of the garage already had a large wardrobe-type area with sliding doors. DH installed some very sturdy shelves in there which is a good place for canned goods, foods in glass jars, cleaning and canning supplies. I keep some mouse traps baited and ready and generally catch one or two each year. We also have sturdy pantry shelving in and alcove in the laundry room where I keep items that need to be eaten soon, and cereals such as oatmeal that the mice can't get to.

My trip to town this morning - I looked at the little Bay Laurel trees, and they were very nice and a good value. But I didn't make a purchase. Think I'll prune old Bessie way, way back this fall and see if I can get another year or two out of her. Plus go ahead and pick and dry some leaves. If they crumble, they crumble. Organic (crumbly) bay leaves are terribly expensive at the health food store.

I also stopped at one of the little produce/fresh food stores to get some nitrate-free bacon. It's the best, love when I can buy just a few slices.

Some bad news/good news about another purchase there. They had ripe looking cantaloupe, so I grabbed one. When I got it home and cut it open, I discovered it was honeydew! Wonder if it was cross-fertilized in a farmer's field. I'm not a fan of honeydew, BUT the hens are. So it won't be going to waste and will help keep them cool in the coming hot days. Gotta keep the girls happy.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

@Lanette and everyone, if I was cooking for myself, I would prep or buy pre-cut/shredded veggies to add to everything, especially carrots, celery, and onion. You can buy the frozen onion/peppers chopped but also there are fresh. I would try to buy more organic however, and pre-cut/prepare them for the week. I would also try to plan my meals for the week. But as things are, I plan my own breakfast and have ideas for supper for the week. DH plans dinner and doesn’t share until he cooks it or I ask as he does it! Most of the time he says “I don’t know” and call it a ‘Kevin Special’ and it usually is good-hard to log though, so I log ingredients when I ask him.

Non-mayo dressing for potato or macaroni salad includes: veggies cut according to texture of salad, such as grated carrots, celery, onion, or others as you like. I’ve seen him use pieces of greens in it too. Seasoning: garlic powder, basil or oregano (DH says don’t mix them) black pepper, sprinkle of bullion (depending on inclusion of beef, chicken, or veggie only, just a bit) either/or or both olive oil and avocado oil. EVO is best. Nut oils would be good too but a bit more expensive. Vinegar added only if you want or like it but use either red wine vinegar, or balsamic vinegar sprinkled on top at the end. He cooks by taste and smell! Let me know if you try this and how it came out!

RVRita in Roswell
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,504 Member
    <3
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,701 Member
    <3
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,504 Member
    :p