Certain parts of my body shake/tremble at certain positions. Why?

For some background, I'm a 23 year old female.
Since I was about 9 I used the internet as an escape from the stresses I was facing in person/life. Without getting into detail, this went on until about November 2023, on which I stopped feeling the need to be online much and started feeling much better mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Now, it has started to extend to physically too 😊🤸🏻 I started exercising cardio for 8 minutes a day, around 4 weeks ago.

But because of those 14 years of being indoors most of the day and laying down, not getting exercise, fresh air or sunlight (vitamin D issue?) my body seems to have become weaker and sometimes certain parts of my body tremble when I move them in certain (casual) positions. I eat healthy so it's not my diet.

Why and how can I heal this?
I know my cardio endurance will heal with regular exercise, and I've started light strength training too, but I want help with the trembling. I'm starting sunbathing too in case it's a vitamin D issue.

Thanks lovelies 😊🤍✨☀️

Replies

• Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 132 Member
    Does it happen after you exercise? Or is it just all the time?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,675 Member
    A vitamin D supplement would be a better choice than sunbathing (your skin will thank you, as per my doctor).
    I would recommend getting tested first though, vitamin D is fat soluble and therefore riskier to overdose than water soluble vitamins.

As for trembling: not sure what positions you are referring to, but it sounds like you just need to build some muscle strength and endurance.
    It all depends on severity though: if severe and hindering you, a general medical workup would be a good idea.
  • WoodlyMK
    WoodlyMK Posts: 8 Member
    Does it happen after you exercise? Or is it just all the time?
    Not after exercise and not all of the time, just anytime I move that certain part of the body in those positions that make it tremble

• WoodlyMK
    Lietchi wrote: »
    As for trembling: not sure what positions you are referring to, but it sounds like you just need to build some muscle strength and endurance.
    It all depends on severity though: if severe and hindering you, a general medical workup would be a good idea.
    The positions I’m referring to are casual ones, like running my hand over my head and as it comes down my arm from my shoulder to my hand trembles. Other examples: I’m sitting down on the balcony with a laptop 💻 on my lap, and my hand on the keyboard trembles at certain points. I’m laying down and if I lift up my leg at about 25 degrees, it trembles
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,589 Member
    If it's new, and if as you describe, not when under some kind of unaccustomed strain (as from holding a position when that's difficult, or lifting heavy weight, or after strenuous exercise) . . . then it would be a good idea to speak with your doctor, IMO.

It may be a deficiency, as you're thinking, but getting blood tests before starting to supplement is a good idea. (For some deficiencies, the supplement may mask the deficiencies in tests but not necessarily resolve them.)

If your daily life activities aren't impaired, then it may not be an urgent crisis to see the doctor, but making a routine appointment (or sending an electronic message if your doctor supports that) might be a good plan.
  • Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 132 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If it's new, and if as you describe, not when under some kind of unaccustomed strain (as from holding a position when that's difficult, or lifting heavy weight, or after strenuous exercise) . . . then it would be a good idea to speak with your doctor, IMO.

It may be a deficiency, as you're thinking, but getting blood tests before starting to supplement is a good idea. (For some deficiencies, the supplement may mask the deficiencies in tests but not necessarily resolve them.)

If your daily life activities aren't impaired, then it may not be an urgent crisis to see the doctor, but making a routine appointment (or sending an electronic message if your doctor supports that) might be a good plan.

You might be able to call your doctor's office too if they're not the type to receive electronic messages and leave a message with the nurse.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,169 Member
    edited August 1
    I’d see a doctor. Could just be a small pinch in the ulna nerve.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,259 Member
    edited August 1
    If it’s any comfort, I did that when I was as young as you, and it scared me to death. It was usually my hands, and they’d shake uncontrollably. It eventually went away. I’m 62 now, fwiw, so it didn’t kill me. Never figured out what it was.

Do go see a doctor, but don’t worry yourself into a tizzy, unless informed it’s something serious.

If they give you a reason, please share it. I always wondered about that!
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,723 Member
    What is your height and weight? Just to rule out perhaps that you're very low on muscle mass and aren't accustomed to exercise.

I think a pinched nerve would likely produce pain and numbness, though weakness by itself is possible maybe.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,259 Member
    edited August 1

I think a pinched nerve would likely produce pain and numbness, though weakness by itself is possible maybe.

That’s a very interesting thought @Retroguy2000 . I used to be able to put a leg, arm, hand etc “to sleep” at the drop of a hat.

I was such a strange youngster, I enjoyed the sensation. They’d go totally numb to the point I couldn’t move at all til the blood flowed again. I wonder if the one was somehow hand in hand with the shakes OP describes eventually happening.

I think that’s one reason I enjoy yoga so much. I perversely enjoy the discomfort of a weird position or bind.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,131 Member
    Hopefully life is taking a turn to the better, which is awesome. Depending on the medical system/options at your location, If you don't already have a primary care provider, it might be a good idea to hook up with one and to also explore what resources may be available to you! Take care!
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,169 Member
    To clarify earlier comment, my father has essential tremor (which you are probably way too young for although it’s harmless), and one of the treatments to try and help his hand trembles was relieving pressure from the ulna nerve in his arm. People who spend a lot of time with arms resting on a table to use a computer can get this. Just a little entrapment of the nerve and can lead to numbness but another possible symptom is tremors
  • WoodlyMK
    Thanks everyone, I’ll go see a doctor 😊🤍
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    edited August 4
    csplatt wrote: »
    I’d see a doctor. Could just be a small pinch in the ulna nerve.

OP also describes a tremble in the leg, so it would have to be at least two pinched nerves. Probably not the most likely explanation.