Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2024

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,127 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) We all know what to do. The problem is assuring that we do it consistently. Beyond knowing what to do is knowing how to stick to the plan. I've read some great books about habits that have made a huge difference. In one of the books there is a whole section about "habit loopholes" like "just this once" or "it's a party, I have to have the treat", or "it will hurt someone's feelings if I don't eat what they made" . It takes practice and resolve to say no when someone suggests or urges a deviation from the plan you're following.

:) I got rid of most of the pictures from my first wedding (I sent them to my ex-husband's daughter). I found two picturesthat I'd kept.

e4cm1mjk0r18.jpg
    oqa76550i74l.jpg

:) Here is a picture of Jake and me and our wedding.

s5kqpw3faec4.jpg

:) My first wedding dress was designed and made by a friend. My mother and I went to San Francisco to buy the lace. The wedding was a big church wedding with a reception following at the church with cake and coffee, then another reception the next day at an art gallery with fancy finger food and wine. The marriage lasted less than five years.

:) My dress when I married Jake was bought at Nordstrom in San Francisco on a shopping trip with my best friend. The wedding was at a friend's house with only family. So far the marriage has lasted over 35 years.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Barbie- by any chance, did you buy your lace at Gunne Sax outlet in SF? That is where the lace for my second dress came from

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,434 Member
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    wedding #1- my now former father in law- a Baptist minister married us. Hubby didn't have any friends out here so his brother was his best man and three of my cousins stood up with him.
    wedding #2-dh says he covered every ethnic group and I covered every size group.
    My best friend was maid/matron of honor at both weddings. Niece in the first was also in my second, as was my younger sister and one other friend.
    Both weddings at the church I grew up in.

Debbie

You had big wedding parties!!

I had 3 bridesmaids and best men at my first wedding ... and kind of wished I had only 1.

I had 0 bridesmaids and best men at my second wedding ... and that was perfect!

Machka in Oz
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited September 5
    Hello, kids,

Just a quick dropby - did read everyone's, but remembered only a few...

Carol - That actually was my natural color, mine was very deep brown, nearly black. Fascinating that so many of us were dark-haired!

Heather - Good for you saving John from himself... Your son was probably just exhausted and not thinking. As you said, what a way to end a vacation!

Beth - So, so pleased your mother is in the right place for her and is thriving.

Barbara AHMOD - Hoping everything went well with your procedure.

Ginny - Glad yours went well!

Barbie - Thank you for sharing your pics, I've never seen those before!

Tracey - I remember the picture of you sitting in the grass, and with Roger, but not the one of you and your Dad - you look so lovely and happy.

Rebecca - I remember yours, as well. We are all so young... Congratulations on 40 years!

That's it, my brain just quit on me. Headache has got me thinking in circles, kind of the way I spent my day. It will pass. Just finally remembered to take my noon medications, hopefully will get things to settle down a bit. Corey's grilling a pork chop for him and shrimp for me, one of my favorite meals.

Later, my babies,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,467 Member
    Did an incline interval workout yesterday (Wed) and then the water class. I talked to the gal who teaches the spinning classes and she says that she doesn’t have the music very loud and doesn’t yell things like “woo hoo”. So maybe I’ll try entering her class but doing my thing. Maybe I’ll try it next week

Monique – yea for smaller clothes! Hope you get a good deal for the car repair. That extended warranty should help

Tracey – Vince enjoys decorating and so many people say how much they like it. Well, the way I look at it is that it could be worse.

M – these aren’t lies. There is a certain belt (I forget the name of it) that his year model didn’t have a splash guard on. Over the years, the water has gotten to it enough that the belt needs to be replaced. And it being a 17 year old vehicle, parts aren’t exactly easy to come by. Especially since this part is discontinued. But Lynette did say that she can put 2 in the front, 3 in the back, and someone would have to sit in the cargo compartment.

Really cleaned out the bathroom where the kitties were when we first got them. The bathtub! Not to mention the floor! Made meatloaf muffins and now have chocolate brand muffins in the oven

Barbara – I don’t think there are any more Radio Shacks. Haven’t heard that name in a long time

A few years ago Loki peed on one of the doors. At the time I told Vince that he needed to repair it. Well….here we are a few years later and it’s gotten worse (natch). Now I’m after him to get it repaired before it gets any worse. I was even going to do it, but he insists that he do it. I’ve already mentioned it to him 3 or 4 times today. Each time there’s a reason why he hasn’t gotten to it “I have plantar fasciotus (or however it’s spelled), Update: I got him to take the door off the hinges, so that’s a start.

The guys from Exodus Works said they’d be here between 9 and 12 to transplant the bushes. They came at 8:30! I got home from work & didn’t find the $$ we’d set aside for a tip for them so I checked and, sure enough, the bushes were in. It must have been at least an hour. Nice shocker

Heather – you go girl!

Lanette – all the kitties love to be held and cuddled. They like to be with people. And purr….. my goodness, I was surprised the vet could hear the heartbeat when they went there yesterday. I’m using the gel drops usually right before I go in the pool since I usually keep my eyes closed anyway and right before bed. Lately I haven’t had that “eyelash in the eye” feeling. I’m wondering now if it has to do with the weather. Do my eyes get dryer in the heat??? I really felt it when we had 90 degree weather. Now it’s in the 80’s and I haven’t felt it. I’m going to ask the eye MD next week when I go to see her. I still have my wedding dress. I’m sure it doesn’t fit me, I was 110 back then. I just can’t think of something to do with it. I know that the local community theater has some so they don’t need a donation of one. How cool you got married in your grandmother’s parlor! Sounds really special. There’s no way I can be buried in that dress. I’m much (what’s the nice word) bigger now. oh, yes, I’ve seen those games for cats. My kitties really like when I play mahjongg. They like to see the tiles flying...lol Sometimes they even try to catch them!

Carol – I heard all about that shooting. So very sad :( I never heard of renting a wedding dress! Neat idea. What a lovely wedding photo

Allie – good thoughts for Tracy and Kyle. She is probably ready to get it all over with.

Along the gym line: Do you know that I’ve never played pickleball??? Well, that isn’t entirely true, I did play a little down at the condo. Hand eye coordination is NOT my thing at all. However, since then it seems that I usually have something to do when the game is being played.

Annie – thanks for reminding me that I need to charge my headphones. I wish they had an indicator on them that told you how much battery charge you have. I just don’t want to run out

Beth – how heartwarming to hear that your mom is doing so so well.

Barbie – I do hope Jake qualifies for the treatment

Ginny – so glad your implant is finished and you’re happy with the result

Had these pictures from Vince’s family. Been waiting for months for Vince to go thru them so I finally did. Then he did. Finally talked him into sending a lot of them to his cousin in MO, she may know some of them. Went thru some that he kept. Contrary to his opinion, we really don’t need 4 pictures of the same people, so I’m going to throw some of them out without telling him.

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Carol - That actually was my natural color, mine was very deep brown, nearly black. Fascinating that so many of us were dark-haired!

Love,
    Lisa in AR

The most common hair colours on earth are black or brown, so unless you had started dying your hair by your wedding, it would likely be dark.

My natural is a medium-dark ash brown. But I had started dying by my first wedding.

However, the last time I dyed my hair was about a year ago, so I'm letting my medium-dark ash brown & grey come out! Mainly, I haven't had the time and also need to get myself organised in the new house, but I also wanted to have a look at what natural looked like.

According to this: https://medlineplus.gov/genetics/understanding/traits/haircolor/# , "It is estimated that more than 90 percent of people in the world have brown or black hair."

Hair colour by country: https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/hair-color-by-country

• Machka9
    exermom wrote: »
    Had these pictures from Vince’s family. Been waiting for months for Vince to go thru them so I finally did. Then he did. Finally talked him into sending a lot of them to his cousin in MO, she may know some of them. Went thru some that he kept. Contrary to his opinion, we really don’t need 4 pictures of the same people, so I’m going to throw some of them out without telling him.

Michele NC

I would never throw out my husband's photos. At the very least, scan them first.

My husband and I respect each other's stuff ... we don't throw out anything that belongs to the other. We only declutter our own stuff. Or joint expired items in the fridge. :)

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    I almost dug my iron out today to iron the pants I wanted to wear to work. I then remembered that I had seen a meme or something shared recently stating that you can throw a couple ice cubes in the dryer with your article of clothing and on about 10 minutes they would be wrinkle free. It worked!
    I don’t think it would if you wanted an actual pressed look though. These were just a pair of cotton capris.

Tracey in Edmonton

I don't have a dryer, so if I want to de-wrinkle something, I run it through the rinse and spin option in my washer, then very carefully hang it on the line outside or rack inside. In the careful hanging process, I stretch the wrinkles out of it.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Just got my Strava stats for August and I noticed that my elevation gain / climbing had improved from July. I'm not sure how that happened, but I'll take it!

h3pjrigm8pvw.png
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,980 Member
    <3