Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2024

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,467 Member
    Walked around the neighborhood. My foot still burns but I'm sure that's because the MD worked on it.

Almost forgot to tell you: yesterday I went to wash a dish and suddenly we didn't have water. Vince was concerned that the hot water heater burst. Checked and nope. So he went outside to where the main valve is. Seems the city of Newton was putting in a new water meter. Thanks for telling us.

Vince was saying that the place next to BK does oil changes and you don't have to make an appt so I'll probably go there after work tomorrow. Then need to pick up a prescription

Bowling tonight. Vince won't be there since he says he can't walk. I didn't realize it but if you don't go, you still have to pay. See, our Monday league isn't like that and the Newcomers league wasn't. Maybe if it was, more people would have come regularly.

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,434 Member
    Morning again all
    Got Sean to the Dr and home again..Tracy got the paperwork that was needed and ,I will pick it up when she gets home,which should be soon.. they are just doing last minute checkup in the nursery on Delia and they took her to the nursery last night and just brought her in for feedings last night,Tracy got a bit more sleep.Kyle will come get her and Delia and they have a pediatrician appointment tomorrow
    Im going to call to see if i can get in for an oil change.

Congratulations and commiserations ... this has to be a difficult time for everyone.

But cute names!

barbiecat wrote: »
    In 2009 I started on a weight loss program that recommended no coffee. I had noticed that one of my attractions to coffee was the tasty creamer I put in it, so I cut back on coffee slowly until I stopped completely. Among the many benefits I found from not drinking coffee in the morning were extra time and the ability to go for a long walk first thing in the morning without having to find a toilet. I have a lot of other habits that I haven't let go of, but these choices made a big difference in my life. Fortunately, I haven't seen any reason to give up the chocolate that I love so much.
    <3 Barbie in NW WA

I've never smoked and rarely drink alcohol ... the idea of drinking something full of calories that kills brain cells was never appealing.

Way back when (1988 or so), I decided I would not drink my calories unless I was on a long bicycle ride and needed the extra energy quickly. Food makes me feel fuller.

But I kept my delicious black coffee and tea. :)

Because of what happened to me I am changing some of my online habits too!

I know on Facebook I will no longer go on public posts and if a friends posts them I will no longer hit the like button! When I joined it I gave no personal info about me. I never answer any of those posts that ask an opinion or could give away my age!

Good plan.

Doing those "fun" quizzes and answering 10 things about you, or where did we meet, etc. are all dangerous as well.

DH had one of his stomach episodes yesterday. He refuses to go to the hospital about it and when he’s mentioned it to a doctor they don’t find anything. I personally think he is having gallbladder attacks.

I don’t have much to say,
    Tracey in Edmonton

All of my years dealing with my "weird stomach" it turns out it was my gallbladder. It was a pain that would radiate all over my abdomen, enough that I kind of had to "lamaze breathe" until it passed. I could remember these episodes back at Oregon in 2014, and then every couple of months from then on, until I had it out. It was a simple ultra sound to see the "gallstones" so he just needs to do that.👍🏼
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

I'm beginning to wonder about gallbladder as well.

For several years, I would occasionally get this pain ...
    - it happens when I'm sitting or walking, but not exerting myself
    - it is sudden - everything is fine, and then whammo!
    - it starts in the upper, right quadrant of my abdomen, and feels like a knife going right through me to my back, and then like a vice squeezing me around the whole right side of my abdomen/rib cage. Meanwhile shooting pains go up into my back, right shoulder, right arm, and into my neck.
    - it is agonising, excruciating and every other word for extreme pain you can think of.
    - deep breaths, stretching, moving, sitting, lying down, standing up ... nothing relieves it.
    - and then about 5 minutes later (but feels like about 5 hours later), it eases up ... and is gone.

As I said, I would get that pain occasionally, like maybe a couple times a year, kind of randomly. But in the last couple weeks, it has happened 3 times.

I'm going to have to see my doctor. :neutral:

Regarding freezers ... we have 2 small chest freezers. One is currently in storage, and the other is in the house.

We use 1 regularly but the other one is for harvest time when my husband freezes the veggies we've grown. Since the yard isn't set up for a veggie garden yet, and we haven't planted anything yet, the 2nd freezer isn't needed yet!

One of the main things we use our main small chest freezer and our fridge freezer for are bags of frozen veggies from either the grocery store or our garden.

Machka in Oz

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,565 Member
    Ladies, so much I want to comment on but am running out of time.

Alex and crew are coming on Friday so I've been busy getting things ready for them - cutting back branches so I can open the back gate for them to get their trailer through. Gathering limbs and vegetation for them to throw on the trailer as well. Finding junk and trash for them to load. Since they are going to spray the weeds in the driveway I need to pick all of the Aronia berries and/or cover what's left, I don't want spray drifting on them.

Rosie got a haircut this morning and looks like a schnauzer again. I go to town for dental cleaning at 8 tomorrow. Decided to cancel appointment with Dr. Lisa - sciatica really tamed down - I started wearing my new orthotics. Had to loosen the shoestrings on my shoes but they are now comfortable and tilt my foot a little different than the old ones did, I think that's helping my back. Doesn't take much, does it? Will stop by the foot doc/surgeon tomorrow and make an appointment with him. Still want to get to the bottom of why the baby toe ligament is shortening in my right foot and now I'm getting hammer toe and painful callus on that foot too.

Maybe over time the new orthotic will help, but our Ginny has me wanting an MRI. :p The doc mentioned that before, maybe now's the time to take him up on it. Prob won't be able to get in for a month, but we'll see.

Michele - a quick comment on your foot. Hope the doc dug out whatever it was that was causing you so much discomfort.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,035 Member
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,765 Member
    Hello, my dears,

Edging ever closer to an early bedtime, as I am running on about four hours sleep...

Monique - Probably not hormone issues with sleep for yours truly, as I have none. Complete hysterectomy in 2001, took estrogen for one year after, not taken it since. Could be age, could be retirement--I just know that one jolt for whatever reason, and I'm awake with no chance of going back to sleep. I try not to stress over it, as I don't have a schedule, I wake when I do and sleep when I'm ready. I'm more mentally comfortable with routine, but my body doesn't care, apparently! 🤷🏽‍♀️ One of the things I'm finally beginning to realize is that I don't always have to find a "why." Not easy in a medicalized life these last few years, to be able to let some reasons go and just accept the outcomes.

I found a heavy duty sewing machine on sale for a really good price, and since I'm stalled out on my current design without one, I indulged in ordering it. It will be a constant need as I get further into creating these kinds of things again. It will be in tomorrow... and am looking forward to that.

Also took my decluttering/organizing bent to my fabric stash and holy fabric avalanche, Batman! I have some yards from more than a decade ago - I even remember the shopping trip, as there was none available in the little West Texas town where we lived, so we when we drove to San Angelo for an unremembered reason, I ran riot in a fabric store.

So, much like our "shop the freezer September," I'm going to "shop the stash" for a few weeks and see what I can accomplish with what I've already got. And to that end, I'm organizing the fabric to see what I've got, and how much I've got of each one. I actually threw one piece away! Woot! That was between finishing eight of the 4-foot by 5-foot quillows, and vacuuming the floors in the whole house. When you're awake 20 hours out of 24, it can be quite useful. :smiley:

But it's all caught up, and Corey's nodding over his book as well. Time to go to bed... I promised him I'd mow in the morning, as the grass has gotten deep in a lot of places. It's on the big zero-turn, so it's fun and reasonably fast.

Hasta mañana,
    Lisa in AR
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,467 Member
    Margaret – congrats on getting the toilet fixed

Lanette – I certainly hope he did, too

Michele NC
    who needs to take a shower then get to bed.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,035 Member
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,691 Member
    Hi Michele - here is my "homework" LOL hope this helps. Kim in N. California

Michele’s plants
    Newton, North Carolina
    Hardiness zone 8a, with a low temp. of 10-15F
    Annual rainfall 46 inches
    Hottest average month is July with temps in the 80 F

phlox subulata red wings
    Creeping phlox is a low-growing species which forms a carpet-like mat no taller than 6". This popular little perennial is best utilized in rocky areas, on slopes, and in flower borders. Needs 6 hours of sun per day for best bloom. Blooms in mid- spring. It's a good idea to shear this plant back and clean up any dead foliage in early summer, just after it's finished blooming. This will produce denser foliage and will encourage it to rebloom. Divisions can be made every few years in summer. Good draining soil is critical.
    Color – variety of pinks

phlox emerald blue
    Creeping phlox is a low-growing species which forms a carpet-like mat no taller than 6". This popular little perennial is best utilized in rocky areas, on slopes, and in flower borders. Needs 6 hours of sun per day for best bloom. Blooms in late spring. It's a good idea to shear this plant back and clean up any dead foliage in early summer, just after it's finished blooming. This will produce denser foliage and will encourage it to rebloom. Divisions can be made every few years in summer. Good draining soil is critical.

Color – lavender blue flowers

dianthus fruit punch - maraschino
    Red flowers are a hot color for a garden, and ‘Maraschino’ delivers with 1¼-1½” wide cherry red flowers and dark burgundy eye. Fluffy, double flowers with deeply fringed petals have a sweet fragrance. If you need something to contrast the green foliage in your garden, ‘Maraschino’ will surprise and delight you with its silvery blue, spiky leaves. The foliage looks great all season, and won’t get tired in the heat of summer.
    Members of the Dianthus FRUIT PUNCH® series share the following traits: semi to fully double, fragrant flowers, and good heat and humidity tolerance. Flowers appear in early summer, and a quick shearing after flowering will encourage them to rebloom in early fall. FRUIT PUNCH® Dianthus are just the right size to edge the front of the sunny border and use in combination containers.
    . Needs 6 hours of sun per day for best bloom. Blooms in early summer and again in early fall. If all flowers are trimmed as they die back.
    Do a thorough clean-up in the fall to prevent pest and disease problems, and add a layer of mulch to protect the evergreen foliage. As soon as the weather begins to warm up, remove all of this mulch to prevent crown rot.

Color red

firewatch dianthus
    I was unable to find this specific color, although care and timing will be similar to the Fruit Punch series

azalea pan
    I was unable to find “pan” but the following is on azaleas in general
    Azaleas are loosely branched, shade-loving evergreen or deciduous shrubs with elliptical leaves. They bring delightful white, purple, yellow, and red flowers—and all hues in between—to the spring garden when the clusters of funnel-shaped blooms appear. Azaleas need at least four hours of sunlight daily and afternoon shade in places with scorching summers. Keep their soil moist, acidic, and fertile for them to grow well.
    Azaleas shrubs are best planted in the spring or early fall. Growth rates vary by species, but most are relatively slow-growing. A one-gallon container plant usually will flower in its first year but may take as much as 10 years to reach its full size. Azaleas are toxic to humans1 and animals.2
    Azaleas flourish in a partial shade location in most regions with a few hours of the morning sun. so the flowers don't wilt if a spring day becomes too hot. Azaleas may respond well to full sun in colder climates, while gardeners in warmer climates should give their azaleas more shade.
    Azaleas also do well if given some fertilizer. Fertilize in late winter or early spring, no later than the last week of March.
    Acidifying fertilizers are a good choice where soils are neutral or alkaline. If you don't know your soil composition, a basic 15-15-15 fertilizer containing equal parts nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium is your best bet. Another option is a unique fertilizer product made for azaleas, like Espoma's Azalea-Tone.

Panicum virgatum dallas blue
    This is an ornamental grass. Blooms are not a traditional flower but instead a spray of feathery growth with a slight purple tinge. Blooms from September to February.

hydrangea incrediball blush
    Compact, bushy, deciduous shrub (that means it looses it’s leaves in the winter) with silver pink blooms in early summer. Needs full sun to dappled shade depending on heat. Should be pruned in the winter to the ground. Toxic to dogs, cats and horses. Bloom spring to fall if spent blooms are trimmed off.

hosta white
    Large mounds of wavy, green, glossy, pointed leaves demonstrate both sun and drought tolerance. Fragrant, white flowers appear in late summer; fragrance is most pronounced in the evening.
    Hostas grow best in moist, well-drained, highly organic soils. Sandy loam is better than clay because it provides more aeration for the roots. High-filtered or dappled sunlight is necessary for clean, healthy growth. Morning sun is tolerable and will help to intensify the leaf colors, but hot afternoon sun is usually deadly to hostas. They are most at home in shady, woodland settings and often work well as specimen or edging plants.

Color - white

Juniperus
    Latin for Juniper
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,980 Member
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,434 Member
    5j49g31ahfbx.png

0y0onxmio1jp.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,581 Member
    edited September 19
    Got all my annual blood test results back the same day! Chloresterol higher than it was. :/ I put that down to being almost totally inactive for 6 months, and putting weight on. They want me to consider statins, but I think I will review in 6 months when I've had time to recover. I have my bp controlled by medication and I am nearly 75, so it's not unusual to be a bit higher. It was 5.6. Normally 5.2.
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited September 19
    Annie Adulting love it. I will try to remember when the next thing needs repair and or attention. Adulting I will go...Heigh Ho the MerriO Adulting I will go! I do find it best is if is an upsetting repair or something that needs attention if I can step back before charging right in to fix it I have a better outcome for myself and whatever needs help does better too! Adding a touch of humor helps too! Still can't wrap my head around dry wall versus a cruise. LOL...

Annie I get it that seems to be another thing to add to the list...Sometimes the list needs to wait if possible to recharge yourself. One of my phrases I will add it to my list...One of my favorite things is if I can take it off the list and/or crossing it off the list!