Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Joe from FLorida

Hi,

I'm 53 and I'm going to retire soon. All of my health markers are good except I was 390 Pounds. I've been saying for a while that I need to be near my optimal weight for retirement so I can get the most out of it and live to make my retirement system pay out for a long time.
So here I am 2 months in 41 Lbs down mostly from deficit eating. I keep myself around 1500 - 2200 calories with the higher days being when I do more activity. I also traveled for 24 days in the middle of this so doing good.
Here is what I can tell you from a lifetime of experience. Calories in vs out is all that maters. Burn more than you eat... lose, eat more than you burn ... gain. Everyone has a stratagem, if you stay in deficit you win. Pick one you can live with forever or when you will gain it all back. Exercise Is about better overall health. Like everything else in life you can have too much of anything. Exercise also pays for a little extra indulgence here and there. Those guys that work out 3 hours a day need 3000 calories to burn to feed it for instance....
Lastly BMI is almost useless if you are talking estimating based on height/weight. The only way i'd ever get to what it think is my ideal weight is to die and start decaying it is a good 30 LBS out of wack for me. See a Dr and dont trust that number.

joe

Replies

• Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 1,358 Member
    Hey, Hey - awesome reason to get fit before retirement! Sounds like you nailed your approach and you're on a good roll, Yay!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,774 Member
    Welcome!

There are some great threads created by our members, bookmarked to the top of each category that may be helpful. Just look for "Most Helpful Posts - whatever the category name is”.

For example:
    You can also ask your questions in any category that interests you, read posts or questions made by other members, join a group, or add some friends.

Here are some frequently asked questions that may also be helpful: FAQ's
  • trixsterjl31
    trixsterjl31 Posts: 55 Member
    Thanks for the replies you all. I didn't realize this didn't let you know when you got replies.
  • Adventurista
    edited September 8
    @trixsterjl31 - think there are settings for various email notices (which i don't personally use.)

Alternative workaround i use is to bookmark the discussion (little flag mark on right of discussion thread title.)

If you use the @ symbol in front of a persons name, they will get a notice with the little bell symbol.
  • trixsterjl31
    trixsterjl31 Posts: 55 Member
    edited September 8
    @Adventurista excellent. I figured out the bookmark but not the @ have a good day. I also dont need more emails. I have to delete 100 a day between 2 addresses.
  • Adventurista
    @trixsterjl31

You can see the bell notices in your profile area on your phone. Click on your picture next to your name in threads like this.

Then click view profile (you might have to skip an add for premium)
    lebr5sv9t22v.jpg

Then click on the tiny picture you have top right.
    g9y4ima88ptx.jpg

Then click on the bell
    gug4ed20k34a.jpg