Weight loss without, or with limited, physical activity.

Hi there.

I've struggled with weight loss over the last 3-4 years, mostly due to medical/physical health issues. As a result, the amount of physical activity I could do is limited to none. I'd lose a pound or two, then gain... or remain at a stable weight, then gain... and gain. Life happens, etc.

Well now, between May 2024 and a few days ago, I've lost over 20 pounds. I still can't do much physical activity, so this is surprising to me. My work is sedentary, etc. My good friend said that maybe my healthier lifestyle (eating, drinking more water, etc.) has made a difference, but I worry about if there's something deeper going on with me. I guess I'd like some feedback about whether this is something "normal" that can happen.

Thank you in advance.

Answers

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,167 Member
    You've been taking in fewer calories overall.
  • Spinster321
    Spinster321 Posts: 22 Member
    @tomcustombuilder - that's a possibility, despite not being able to count calories.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,816 Member
    edited September 19
    Think about some of the food and drink you've had less of in recent months. Maybe you've had fewer desserts, fewer cookies, fewer chips, smaller portions, less full sugar soda, etc.?

Assuming some water weight loss, you're looking at a daily deficit of about 500 calories compared to before. That's about 1/6th of a gallon tub of ice cream, 1/4 of a box of cookies, 2 small chocolate bars, 1 liter of full sugar soda, 1/2 of a fast food meal, etc.

Also, you don't need to increase physical activity to lose weight. If you could manage some walking, that would help, but it's not essential. Diet is the vast majority of weight loss.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,986 Member
    Yes, it's possible to take in fewer calories without counting the calories. That's one way people who wanted to lose weight did it before detailed calorie counting was practical. (Yes, I'm that old. ;) ).

It's somewhat unusual, though not impossible, to have that kind of calorie reduction happen unintentionally.

It's hard to tell how fast you've lost (because "between May 2024 and a few days ago" is kind of non-specific). If it was all of May until maybe 9/15, that's roughly a bit over 19 weeks, so maybe just a hair over a pound a week? That would imply that you've averaged around 500 calories daily below your weight-maintenance calories over that time period.

If your "healthier lifestyle" has been switching from lots of highly-processed or refined foods to mostly whole foods, eating fewer fried foods, eating lots more veggies, cutting down substantially on things like butter/mayo/dressings, etc.; and if drinking more water has also reduced your appetite, that seems possible.

Also, subtle forms of activity, done continuously, can burn a surprising number of calories. (Research has found fidgety people can burn a couple of hundred or so more calories daily than otherwise non-fidgety ones, for example . . . not that I'm accusing you of being fidgety, rather just illustrating how subtle changes can add up. More stairs, more gardening or similar active home chores, etc., can make a difference.)

If you're concerned, though, talk to your doctor. I'd double down on that advice if you have any other symptoms unusual to you or that you're concerned about (such as rapid heart rate, sleep problems, anxiety, weakness, pain, . . . ).

Best wishes!
  • Spinster321
    Thank you for all of your input.

So for May, I just checked and it was May 5, 2024 - September 14, 2024. I weigh myself once monthly; more than that would get to me and I know that progress can take time.

Looking back, I can say that I've been drinking more water; eating more fruits, salads and vegetables overall; eating 1-2 times/day (usually once); mostly staying away from convenience/fast foods (not a big issue for me in general); and the somewhat-hardest one - reducing the amount of cookies. Drinking soda is rare for me in general; and I also cut down on sugar earlier this year. On days where I get a significant amount of steps, it's from either running errands outside or going up & down steps. I was wondering about that in particular.

I hope that gives some context. Thank you all again.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,366 Member
    edited September 20
    Yes, all those positive changes can lead to weight loss. Like Ann said, that's how we've always done weight loss.

Intentional exercise is optional.

If you're worried that you have some medical issue going on? That's also a possibility, so see a doctor.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,172 Member
    Congrats on the loss.

I lost 30+ pounds by counting calories, limiting alcohol and my exercise was just walking the dog every other day.

I have a desk job and not much physical activity, and I was able to lose the weight. :)

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,167 Member
    @tomcustombuilder - that's a possibility, despite not being able to count calories.

It's not a possibility, it's the only way you can lose weight.
  • Spinster321
    Thank you, everyone. I'm open to continued feedback.
  • ngagne
    ngagne Posts: 60 Member
    Yes, very possible.
    I've also recently lost 20lbs (180 to 160) this calendar year. I have a severe injury that limits my mobility, and am working with physical therapy to regain (it's going well). That entire weight loss is mainly due to eating better. I stopped drinking alcohol (except rare occasion), limited snacking and when do I choose healthier snacks, and I've reduced my portion sizes at meal times. I could only start running recently, and haven't tracked any calories (starting today with that).
    What we eat is the biggest contributor to our weight. So perfectly possible, and healthy, that you have lost the weight solely to eating better.
  • Spinster321
    I forgot to add that I stretch a bit too. I'm looking to tone up, and may begin using my light weights (1 pound, 2 pounds) to do that if my arms can tolerate them.

I also forgot to say that you all inspire me. Thank you.