LESS Alcohol ~ OCTOBER 2024 ~ One Day at A Time

Replies

• SurferGirl1982
    SurferGirl1982 Posts: 315 Member
    I'm still struggling. Somehow I started drinking in the morning again. For a while, after my August streak, I was waiting until 3 or 4 in the afternoon to start. But I guess that I didn't dump it out at night for a couple of days. So, I'm back to my old routine. Now I'll wake up feeling lousy, and in my mind, the only solution is to drink. Vicious cycle! I do know that I cannot moderate. But getting that first AF day is difficult ☹️

Everyone is the hurricane's path...please be careful!
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,710 Member
    edited October 7
    @chicbuc if you need safety here in Florida, We here on the panhandle are ready for escapees from Southern Florida to arrive. Please take extreme measures during hurricane Milton.
    We will keep in touch
    God Speed
  • SurferGirl1982
    One more thought...I know the taper method works. Start drinking a little later each day and pouring a little more out each day. But I just don't have the time. I'm fairly dysfunctional (although, I'm not getting shaky or any of that). I have a doctor appointment later this month. I know that I will have to do labs. And I have to take my cat to the vet in two days.

It's hard for me to remember, but it seems that Day 1 can be a bit uncomfortable. But by Day 2, I would start feeling pretty normal. Does anyone have any experience with just quitting? It would be helpful. Maybe, I'm stressing over nothing.
  • Michieb125
    Michieb125 Posts: 731 Member
    Happy Monday!

A big kudos to all of you who are staying true to your intentions, not easy.

I had 5/7 AF days this past week Monday 9/30 - Sunday 10/6. Which I have not done in over a year, feels good. I also started walking for exercise again yesterday and logged 4.5 miles for the day. I am motivated to walk 3.5 - 4 miles at least 5 times a week.

My exercise regimen all but disappeared in August and September due to excessive heat. I love getting outside whenever possible.

Already decided on another AF night and logging early!

Current:
    AF days - 5
    A days - 2
  • SurferGirl1982
    @MissMay "The Drinking Cycle is so true! I can't count how many mornings I woke up and said "I'll never drink again!"
  • SurferGirl1982
    You're doing awesome @Michieb125 😀
  • Michieb125
    You are doing GREAT @chicbuc! Isn’t it nice to know this LA path offers not a straight line, but so many detours, exits, and u-turns? Stay safe!
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 1,197 Member
    @MissMay thank you so much for that visual. Now to figure out where in the cycle to insert the break to stop it from continuing :)

@SurferGirl1982 sorry to hear you're struggling so. I have just quit before, but I think you and I drink a different amount of alcohol when we drink; we're all different and our bodies will react differently to what we do. Maybe you can revisit your August streak and see what worked for you then.
    @Michieb125 nice job getting an exercise routine back into place and, of course, on the AF days too.
    @chickbuc stay safe!!
  • Michieb125
    Thank you @SurferGirl1982 - your own desires to have less are worthy, so I encourage you to keep on trying! I don’t have any advice but hear your frustration …..even if you call it a day right now it could be a LA win for you. Any amount Less is Less!

It’s not an AF thread rather LA which means you didn’t fail by having a drink already.

Hang in there!
  • Michieb125
    PS it’s always helpful for me to go back and read my own posts when I was having more successful days and weeks and apply some of those ideas now. Thanks @SparkSpringtime69 for that reminder!
  • SurferGirl1982
    edited October 7
    Thanks @SparkSpringtime69 and @Michieb125 I do think that's a good idea to go back and read my old posts. I can't remember exactly how I did it. But I don't think I had any problems really. I don't even remember being miserable on Day 1!

@chicbuc Thanks for the support and I really appreciate the "good vibes" 😀 I definitely could use some right now! And please stay safe!
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,432 Member
    4 AF
    3 A
  • lnort0618
    lnort0618 Posts: 18 Member
    @SurferGirl1982 - sorry you're struggling. I always find the second day to be the hardest personally. Sometimes I can get the first day just because of how *kitten* I feel- but the second day is where I feel like I need to really knuckle down and power through the cravings. I've quit cold turkey twice with no ill effects, but I think it really depends on the person and how much alcohol you're consuming.

@MissMay you have the best visuals!

October
    AF 5
    A 2
  • SurferGirl1982
    @lnort0618 Thanks for your input. We will see how it goes!
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 1,197 Member
    October:
    AF: 3
    A: 4
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,541 Member
    @MissMay that was me in that cycle. 100%.

Oct: AF every day.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 610 Member
    edited October 8
    Thanks for the encouragement, @NonnieDoiron Have you made sure you're getting enough potassium and magnesium? Maybe try some supplements. Thinking of you!

AF = 7
    A = 0
  • SurferGirl1982
    @NonnieDoiron You have a nice streak going on. Keep it up! Yes, that is the reason that I keep putting off quitting, I'm afraid of feeling poorly. But, you're right. It is only for one day. I don't have any alcohol in the house right now and I really don't feel too bad. Sometimes, I think I drink because I enjoy it. But, I really don't anymore.

I was having bad cramps in my legs and feet a few months ago. Mine were happening when I was drinking pretty heavy. Things started improving during my August AF streak. And, I'm currently taking magnesium bisglycinate (1-200 mg tablet at bedtime). I guess magnesium glycinate is basically the same thing. Be careful with magnesium citrate. It is used as a laxative.

@globalhiker You really have a good streak going on! I also can't have alcohol in the house. I like your analogy with drinking to Yo-Yo dieting. I'll do really well for weeks or months and then think, "Well, I guess I can have a drink!" And I may moderate for a week or two. But, then, it's back to daily drinking. My doctor did prescribe me a drug called Naltrexone a few month ago. But I had really bad side effects.

@chicbuc and the others in the path of the hurricane...please be safe!

I'm hoping for Day 1 today!