LESS Alcohol ~ OCTOBER 2024 ~ One Day at A Time

Replies

• SurferGirl1982
    SurferGirl1982 Posts: 315 Member
    edited October 8
    @NonnieDoiron There may be a couple of other things you can try for the cramps. A nurse practitioner once told me to drink pickle juice. I know it sounds weird. But, I guess it works.

The other thing is coconut water. It has a very good balance of electrolytes (calcium, potassium, magnesium, and phosphorus). Usually cramps are caused by an imbalance of electrolytes. It's a long story why I bought it. But I bought Zico brand natural 100% coconut water with no sugar added. A lot of the brands have added sugar. I'm not crazy about it. But, it's not bad. Maybe an acquired taste? It's only 60 calories per 11.2 oz carton. I should be drinking it myself. But I forget it's in there 🤔
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,710 Member
    I wish you could see the BIG SMILE on my face reading your posts. Especially your post @NonnieDoiron with your touching positive post to @SurferGirl1982. It sounds like some I have written in the past 7 years here.

Some of us oldie but goodies on here have seen and heard all the stories as to why they should or can't drink LESS. A reminder, you are winning by just checking in and telling your story. It all begins somewhere, this is the place.

My October accountability so far is:
    6 - AF
    2 - A (already counting today)

Our weather channel here in Florida says as long as hurricane Milton continues his current path, then our area will be out of harm's way. I never call it good though until it has all passed. Our town is filling up quick with evacuees. On my 1 hour beach walk this morning there was a different feel to the tourist scene. And I am still in disbelief what happened to Tenn, N.C. S.C GA during Helene. Which did not have 180 MPH winds driving water towards Florida land like this one is.
    :neutral:
  • Michieb125
    Michieb125 Posts: 731 Member
    @SurferGirl1982 I know all of us are rooting for you today! Good to hear there is no alcohol in the house - you know I do way better when I just DONT buy it or have it in the house (particularly if I’m trying to abstain). It can be a big temptation when we know it’s within arms reach. We’re here for you, and yes you can!!!
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 610 Member
    You can do it @SurferGirl1982 We're all rooting for you!
  • SurferGirl1982
    edited October 8
    Hi Less Alcohol Pals,

You all have been so supportive and rooting for me. I wasn't feeling too bad this morning. But around 11:30 this morning, I started feeling pretty bad. Of course, alcohol increases anxiety. I was feeling very anxious and scared. I guess I may be more dependent than I thought.

Back in 2020 and 2021, I was having a really bad problem with drinking. I had a really nice nurse practitioner at the time. I was completely honest with her. She and her staff really cared. I live in a rural area. We do have a addiction treatment center here. But at the time, either the insurance I had wouldn't pay for it or the treatment center didn't take my insurance (can't remember). So, my PCP advised me to taper. Although, she said if my BP went up or I got weird headaches to go to the ER. I strategically tapered very gradually. And I was successful.

Anyways, when I started feeling bad this morning, I asked my husband if he would get me a pint (375 ml). I'm not quite sure where I'm at in the alcohol withdrawal spectrum and I was afraid that the feelings I was experiencing could be serious (stroke or heart attack). I'm not a doctor or nurse.

One other thing, I've been really stressed about the doctor appointment that I have scheduled on Oct 30th. I think next week, I will call and say I'm going to be out of town for 3 to 4 weeks and reschedule. Automatic pressure release!

I'm still drinking LA because I've been starting at 9 am and most days drinking a fifth (750 ml) or close to it. Today I started around noon and only have a pint.

I just always feel like I'm letting everyone down ☹️
  • Michieb125
    Michieb125 Posts: 731 Member
    I’m sorry you feel scared and imagine it is very normal in your situation @SurferGirl1982.

But today sounds like you are achieving LA in your choice to buy Less and imbibe Less. That’s tapering in action. You ARE doing it and not letting anyone down. Stay strong through all the feelings and try to focus on what reduces anxiety and brings you joy.
  • SurferGirl1982
    Thank you so much @Michieb125 I will do this. It just might take me a little longer.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,308 Member
    edited October 8
    Thank you so much @Michieb125 I will do this. It just might take me a little longer.

I would encourage you to go to that doctor's appointment to ask for a safe way to cut down. I don't think you should go cold turkey; there can be serious effects on the brain. You just want to be safe and not jeopardize your brain/health.

Don't forget alcohol exacerbates anxiety.
    Have you tried hypnotherapy? Might be worth looking into.
    Rooting for you!!!
  • SurferGirl1982
    edited October 8
    @NonnieDoiron Thanks for your support. You're are all so kind! I'm getting teary-eyed.

I didn't realize that you had an medical problem causing vitamin/mineral absorption. If you think that the one med that your doctor took you off of is causing the cramps. Definitely bring it up next month. Or, better yet, do you have a patient portal where you can send messages to he/she? I do that all the time.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,541 Member
    Oct - 7 AF days done. AF total is 37 days. My biggest fear today is going back to Day 1 and starting over. Memories of the past few years came back to me about the times I did decide to stop my wine diet as I called it and regress in a matter of weeks right back to Square One. It happened always when I went on vacation or when I had a job layoff or travel to visit distant relatives. This is like YO-YO dieting - improve for a months, regress for double the time, then improve a few months, regress double the time, and the cycle keeps going.

@SurferGirl1982 if I had a good bottle of wine in my fridge I would've opened it up and drank the whole thing yesterday. I can't have it in the house at all, it's just an addictive poison for me.

Looking back, I wasted years of time, thinking, over-thinking, obsessing, trying, failing, over and over. If I could re-play my life, I would've absolutely 1000% signed up for online therapy and physican prescribed medication because regular excessive drinking is the sign of a dangerous physical disease and just in recent years is being treated as such just like we go to the doctor for any other physical ailment.
    Oct - 7 AF days done. AF total is 37 days. My biggest fear today is going back to Day 1 and starting over. Memories of the past few years came back to me about the times I did decide to stop my wine diet as I called it and regress in a matter of weeks right back to Square One. It happened always when I went on vacation or when I had a job layoff or travel to visit distant relatives. This is like YO-YO dieting - improve for a months, regress for double the time, then improve a few months, regress double the time, and the cycle keeps going.

@SurferGirl1982 if I had a good bottle of wine in my fridge I would've opened it up and drank the whole thing yesterday. I can't have it in the house at all, it's just an addictive poison for me.

Looking back, I wasted years of time, thinking, over-thinking, obsessing, trying, failing, over and over. If I could re-play my life, I would've absolutely 1000% signed up for online therapy and physican prescribed medication because regular excessive drinking is the sign of a dangerous physical disease and just in recent years is being treated as such just like we go to the doctor for any other physical ailment.

OMG I could have totally written this. I am exactly the same. I fear day 1 ever again more than I want a drink and Thank God for that. I absolutely cannot moderate, period, Amen.

• SunnyDays930
    @SurferGirl1982 I agree with Ruby Red. Do not put off your Dr appointment. Rip the band aid off and go. It sounds like you definitely need medical intervention to make sure you are doing this right. We all care very much about your well being. I myself have put off a Dr appt until this month as I am afraid to hear that my liver is damaged,(obviously I hope it isn't) but I am going on the 24th. Whatever she says, I need to face it.
  • SurferGirl1982
    RubyRed427 wrote: »

I would encourage you to go to that doctor's appointment to ask for a safe way to cut down. I don't think you should go cold turkey; there can be serious effects on the brain. You just want to be safe and not jeopardize your brain/health.

Don't forget alcohol exacerbates anxiety.
    Have you tried hypnotherapy? Might be worth looking into.
    Rooting for you!!!

@RubyRed427 Thanks for your concern. The appointment I have on the 30th isn't with my primary care. It's with a new Gastroenterologist that I've never seen before and it's 60 miles away. It's for checking out my liver health. I could send a message to my PCP, but there aren't a lot of options for addiction treatment here.

*A little bit of humor*...we don't even have Uber, Grubhub, Doordash. No Baskin Robins or 7-eleven. Should have stayed in SoCal!

I tried hypnotherapy many years ago to help me quit smoking. But it didn't help. In 2007, my husband and I got a prescription for Chantix. I only used it for about three week and have never wanted a cigarette again.

I do appreciate all input!

@SunnyDays930 It sounds like we're kind of in the same boat. As far as medical intervention, it's not really available here. In 2020 and 2021, I was a frequent flyer to the hospital. Eventually, one of the ER doctors said, "We don't detox here!" But the joke was on them. I was detoxed when I ended up in the ICU.

I can't go into an in-patient treatment situation because I'm basically the caregiver in our home.

I'll be OK. But, once I quit, I can never go back again!

• lnort0618
    lnort0618 Posts: 18 Member
    October
    AF 6
    A 2
  • SurferGirl1982
    @SunnyDays930 I don't want to get too personal. But if you feel like sharing...what type of doctor do you see to check on your liver health? I'm scheduled with a gastroenterologist. I'm also afraid. And, I really should keep the appointment. I never thought I would travel that far for medical care.
  • SunnyDays930
    @SurferGirl1982 I am seeing my general practitioner who will probably refer me first for a place for a sonogram on my liver, and then if needed....Lord I hope not, a hepatologist. I realize you have limited resources where you live so I am sure your local health care provider will let you know what you can do. I am 16 days sober today and finally, finally, I am feeling less pain in that area. There is no way I can ever drink again until I am ready to die.

I am taking a vacation starting Thursday and do not have MFP on my phone so will be AWOL from here for a while. Good luck and God Bless anyone in the path of this monstrous storm.
  • SurferGirl1982
    @SunnyDays930 I was referred by my PCP to this gastroenterologist 60 miles away. I originally saw a GI doctor in my area. But I had a falling out with his office staff. Unfortunately, his office is the only office with GI doctors in the area.

After I was hospitalized in Nov 2021, I saw the GI doctor. He did some blood tests, an ultrasound of my liver and since I had esophageal varices (after 6 months) he did an endoscopy. I had quit drinking for four months after the hospital incident. That ultrasound showed some minor stages of cirrhosis. But my liver was normal size with no ascites. He said everything couldn't have looked better after the endoscopy. I was supposed to be scanned every 6 months. But I haven't been checked since. I know it is scary. But, I guess it's best to know than not. I wish you the best!

Congratulations on 16 days sober. I'll be with you soon. I too can never drink again!

Have a nice vacation...See ya when you get back!
  • SurferGirl1982
    @chicbuc You are doing very well! Keep it up!

And, @xbowhunter you're doing great as usual. You must be feeling much better!
  • SurferGirl1982
    @MissMay Thank you for the very insightful post...very educational! I guess sometimes we think if we ignore something it will go away. I will definitely make it to my next appointment!
  • SurferGirl1982
    Womona wrote: »

Can I just say, I am enjoying the hell out of my new boat???????? I never want to leave. Although I did hit one of the pilings while backing her into our slip😳. So, she has her first boo-boo, but nothing serious. Luckily I was going super slow.

Couldn't have had anything to do with the wine, could it? 😀

And, please, all of you in the path of the storm...Be Safe!