Calories are NOT equal

Options

Replies

• SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Maybe the types of calories don't matter, technically, but I find that I feel more full on complex carbs and whole grains than on simple carbs, so I'm less inclined to overeat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I've found the research in 'Good Calories Bad Calories' to be borne out by my own experience. However weaning most folks on this site from the myth that 'A Calorie is Just a Calorie' is pretty difficult. The site is set up for and appeals to 'calorie counters'. But the research supporting low carbohydrate diets is increasingly impressive and my own experience for two years now supported by lab and blood work bears it out. In short, I agree with you - calories are not equal. it's that simple.

My own lab work and weight loss (lost 37lb to get to goal and now cutting at a lb a week loss after a bulk) indicates that it is the caloric deficit (and hitting my macros) that works for me.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I've found the research in 'Good Calories Bad Calories' to be borne out by my own experience. However weaning most folks on this site from the myth that 'A Calorie is Just a Calorie' is pretty difficult. The site is set up for and appeals to 'calorie counters'. But the research supporting low carbohydrate diets is increasingly impressive and my own experience for two years now supported by lab and blood work bears it out. In short, I agree with you - calories are not equal. it's that simple.
    I ate less carbs when I was fatter. Explain that.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I have been surprised to find so many people staying under their calorie goal, yet when you see what they eat is shocks me. Yes, they stayed under, BUT they ate crap! Fast food, processed foods, white breads, and soda.

This site is great for calorie counting and nutrition data, but it doesn't teach how to eat to fuel your body the best way possible. You body is not going to burn/use those crap calories the same way healthy foods will. When you eat healthy, your body burns it fast and uses pretty much every bit of that food, but when you eat processed, high sodium and fat foods, you will more then likely store some of that food into fat. Proof? Give a person the same number of calories but one eats all the healthy/clean foods while the other eats the junk. Whose body looks better? Also, it's not just weight gain that's affected, it's your hair and skin health too.

When you eat healthy, you feel healthy :)

What do YOU think?

I absolutely agree.

But it's not just who looks better. It's also about who is healthier. Somehow on this web site healthy =healthy weight. But you can be in healthy weight and exercise regularly but have problems with digestion, or high cholesterol, or other problems that were results of bad diet.

Not all calories are equal. Not all slim people have healthy diets either.

Please describe how you determine who is and who isn't healthy. If you lack a manner in which to quantify 'healthy' then your assertion is kind of lacking legs on which to stand.

I'm not interested in pointless discussion. It's common knowledge that unhealthy eating habits cause health problems. If you think that healthy weight in combination with junk food is ok for you, that's your life and your health.

I end up quoting this all the time...one of my favorites from Eric Helms "Once our nutrient needs are met, we don’t get extra credit for eating more nutritious food!"

Also...because people that eat 'junk' food *only* eat 'junk' food - whatever that actually means.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I ate less carbs when I was fatter. Explain that.

Must be all the extra protein being stored as fat..or is it the fat being stored as fat...I get confused. :tongue:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    My experiences are the opposite. I have lost about 120lbs so far, eating at a deficit and macros at about 50/25/25. I would not find a low carb diet sustainable and I have seen no evidence to believe it is 'healthier'.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I have been surprised to find so many people staying under their calorie goal, yet when you see what they eat is shocks me. Yes, they stayed under, BUT they ate crap! Fast food, processed foods, white breads, and soda.

This site is great for calorie counting and nutrition data, but it doesn't teach how to eat to fuel your body the best way possible. You body is not going to burn/use those crap calories the same way healthy foods will. When you eat healthy, your body burns it fast and uses pretty much every bit of that food, but when you eat processed, high sodium and fat foods, you will more then likely store some of that food into fat. Proof? Give a person the same number of calories but one eats all the healthy/clean foods while the other eats the junk. Whose body looks better? Also, it's not just weight gain that's affected, it's your hair and skin health too.

What do YOU think?

I absolutely agree.

But it's not just who looks better. It's also about who is healthier. Somehow on this web site healthy =healthy weight. But you can be in healthy weight and exercise regularly but have problems with digestion, or high cholesterol, or other problems that were results of bad diet.

Well, then it is simple, really. Give us a measure of how "healthy" is determined.

Hey. I demanded that first. :angry:

Not that anyone ever gives it. It always comes down to handwavey 'take it on faith/my say-so' crap or my favorite "Well you'll see when you're 70." copout.

COME AT ME BRO

Back off both of you...I asked first.

2uhojyp.jpg
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

What do YOU think?

I absolutely agree.

Well, then it is simple, really. Give us a measure of how "healthy" is determined.

Hey. I demanded that first. :angry:

Not that anyone ever gives it. It always comes down to handwavey 'take it on faith/my say-so' crap or my favorite "Well you'll see when you're 70." copout.

COME AT ME BRO

Back off both of you...I asked first.

2uhojyp.jpg

Oh fine.

:grumble:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

What do YOU think?

I absolutely agree.

This Glam-girl is right.

I once was 95 lbs soaking wet. With a metabolism that would not quit. I could consume entire pizzas (2 at a time, large) eat whole boxes of donuts, and drink 2 two liters of soda daily. And I could not gain an ounce. Not a single curve emerged on my body and I stayed that way until I was well into my thirties. I ate nothing but junk, junk, junk. For breakfast a box of Lucky Charms with half a gallon of milk, followed by a medium bag of Cheetos and so on...and I was thin as a stick even after giving birth to three children.

That crap catches up with you, eventually.
    The party, so to speak, ended for me when I was in my mid thirties and noticed a figure emerging. That figure just kept emerging, too, and becoming more...convex, shall we say; until I modified my eating habits. Once I changed my diet, I noticed I felt much better.

Sure it could all be attributed to psychosomatic effects, but I'll take what I can get in the way of positive reinforcement when it comes to losing weight.

Funny, my body composition has been the best it ever has been at 46 years old, and I am sure I eat what people would call junk on a daily basis. I know I eat processed foods. I also eat a balanced diet.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Just an opinion but I think it can vary. I know for me personally I am with you. I burn so much faster if I eat healthy. If I eat junk I can stay under calories and it comes off slower but I have met the odd person for whom the rule doesn't stand true.

Open your diary and point us to the date ranges where you ate "junk" please. Also give us your weight over time. That way we can look at how your weight loss went eating "junk" and compare it to how you're doing now.

Thanks.

That'll never happen! lol
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    In my work I visit many food factories and trust me, if you knew where half your food came from we would all be growing veg at the bottom of the garden and killing a chicken every week. Enjoy your food, keep it in your macros, and mak sure the weight comes off how you want. If it doesnt, change something. Otherwise, who cares about how equal calories are - because some are more equal than others!
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

What do YOU think?

I absolutely agree.

This Glam-girl is right.

I once was 95 lbs soaking wet. With a metabolism that would not quit. I could consume entire pizzas (2 at a time, large) eat whole boxes of donuts, and drink 2 two liters of soda daily. And I could not gain an ounce. Not a single curve emerged on my body and I stayed that way until I was well into my thirties. I ate nothing but junk, junk, junk. For breakfast a box of Lucky Charms with half a gallon of milk, followed by a medium bag of Cheetos and so on...and I was thin as a stick even after giving birth to three children.

The party, so to speak, ended for me when I was in my mid thirties and noticed a figure emerging. That figure just kept emerging, too, and becoming more...convex, shall we say; until I modified my eating habits. Once I changed my diet, I noticed I felt much better.

Sure it could all be attributed to psychosomatic effects, but I'll take what I can get in the way of positive reinforcement when it comes to losing weight.

Funny, my body composition has been the best it ever has been at 46 years old, and I am sure I eat what people would call junk on a daily basis. I know I eat processed foods. I also eat a balanced diet.

when people say their metabolism caught up is because something changed.

I am a little scarred from being the fat kid, I have been sitting back and watching all these people that say "their metabolism catches up". So I have had a "slow metabolism" all my life. so what happened? they eat more than their body requires.

Rofl
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Just an opinion but I think it can vary. I know for me personally I am with you. I burn so much faster if I eat healthy. If I eat junk I can stay under calories and it comes off slower but I have met the odd person for whom the rule doesn't stand true.

Open your diary and point us to the date ranges where you ate "junk" please. Also give us your weight over time. That way we can look at how your weight loss went eating "junk" and compare it to how you're doing now.

Thanks.

That'll never happen! lol

I know :)
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    *stares down mocha* "You're a dirty *kitten*"
    *Keeps staring*

*Drinks*
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

I am a little scarred from being the fat kid, I have been sitting back and watching all these people that say "their metabolism catches up". So I have had a "slow metabolism" all my life. so what happened? they eat more than their body requires.

Rofl

Yep. For me, 'my metabolism catching up' was actually the change from walking 30 minutes to and from school/college/university/work every day, to commuting by car when I moved to US.

When I walked everywhere I could eat more or less as I pleased, and my weight was relatively stable. I was never ripped, but I was never really fat either. Then I moved to the US and started driving everywhere. I still managed to keep the weight off at first, because I started working out a lot more as well. But then my daughter was born and the working out stopped as well as the walking. That's when I turned into a 200+ pound bloater.

It would be easy for me to say it was because I got older. It was really just that I started moving less.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    "Metabolism caught up" is code for "I spend a lot more time sitting down now."
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    "Metabolism caught up" is code for "I spend a lot more time sitting down now."

Truth. I left the military and 'my metabolism caught up' with me in a big way without basic fitness requirements hanging over my head.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I think I have learned a lot of valuable information about nutrition and how the body works here. I have also been prompted to learn more and do other research on other sites as well.

I do still eat junk. I know when I do and it isn't good for me. My body does feel like crap afterwards. But I have made a choice to eat that food. I do feel much better when i eat healthy foods and snacks, but the habits for junk have not completely disappeared. For most of us, its still a work in progress. We have to start over every day.
  • ruejacobs
    Options
    I once had a job shelving books at a library. I started out normal, and ended after two years with a six pack from the way I decided to shelve them. Anything, properly conducted, could be exercise.
    pointing-and-laughing.gif

True story, Bro. Haven't you heard the saying "Abs aren't aren't made in the gym; they're made in the library"?

true_story_bro__by_sofitrp-d5bt24p.jpg

Well, not if you're sitting still at a desk. I never sat down there. I carried a stack of about ten books on my shoulders and squatted to shelve them, without bending. Then I stood using only my legs to left myself up from a squatting position. I did this for five hours five days each week. I did this because of a herniated disc. I didn't want to reinjure my spine, so I was careful in the way I carried and lifted and after a while, I noticed that the constant weight on my shoulders and the repeated squatting and standing actually was toning my body.

It's okay if you don't believe me. You don't know me from Adam, but I know it's the truth.

If I had lifted and carried like the other girls, I suppose I would not have have seen results. But I saw results and was surprised. It did make sense and it made me more aware of how just little things like that can be beneficial exercise.
  • ruejacobs
    Options

What do YOU think?

I absolutely agree.

This Glam-girl is right.

Rofl

Metabolism 'catches up' because of the normal aging process. I was 20 and ate what I liked and weighed no more than 95 lbs. Then when I hit my midthirties, with the same amount of activity, my body began to develop a figure. Good on me. I was not happy being so thin. An 'a' cup is a sad thing for a woman in her twenties to wear.

And as for that other commenter saying I must have been in the military....what? Heavens no. I'm not that sort of lady. At present I'm just a nice old Grandma who enjoys baking and playing video games with the Grands.