Calories are NOT equal

Options

Replies

• DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I have been surprised to find so many people staying under their calorie goal, yet when you see what they eat is shocks me. Yes, they stayed under, BUT they ate crap! Fast food, processed foods, white breads, and soda.

This site is great for calorie counting and nutrition data, but it doesn't teach how to eat to fuel your body the best way possible. You body is not going to burn/use those crap calories the same way healthy foods will. When you eat healthy, your body burns it fast and uses pretty much every bit of that food, but when you eat processed, high sodium and fat foods, you will more then likely store some of that food into fat. Proof? Give a person the same number of calories but one eats all the healthy/clean foods while the other eats the junk. Whose body looks better? Also, it's not just weight gain that's affected, it's your hair and skin health too.

When you eat healthy, you feel healthy :)

What do YOU think?

I absolutely agree.

But it's not just who looks better. It's also about who is healthier. Somehow on this web site healthy =healthy weight. But you can be in healthy weight and exercise regularly but have problems with digestion, or high cholesterol, or other problems that were results of bad diet.

Not all calories are equal. Not all slim people have healthy diets either.

This Glam-girl is right.

I once was 95 lbs soaking wet. With a metabolism that would not quit. I could consume entire pizzas (2 at a time, large) eat whole boxes of donuts, and drink 2 two liters of soda daily. And I could not gain an ounce. Not a single curve emerged on my body and I stayed that way until I was well into my thirties. I ate nothing but junk, junk, junk. For breakfast a box of Lucky Charms with half a gallon of milk, followed by a medium bag of Cheetos and so on...and I was thin as a stick even after giving birth to three children.

That crap catches up with you, eventually.
    The party, so to speak, ended for me when I was in my mid thirties and noticed a figure emerging. That figure just kept emerging, too, and becoming more...convex, shall we say; until I modified my eating habits. Once I changed my diet, I noticed I felt much better.

Sure it could all be attributed to psychosomatic effects, but I'll take what I can get in the way of positive reinforcement when it comes to losing weight.

Funny, my body composition has been the best it ever has been at 46 years old, and I am sure I eat what people would call junk on a daily basis. I know I eat processed foods. I also eat a balanced diet.

when people say their metabolism caught up is because something changed.

I am a little scarred from being the fat kid, I have been sitting back and watching all these people that say "their metabolism catches up". So I have had a "slow metabolism" all my life. so what happened? they eat more than their body requires.

Rofl

Metabolism 'catches up' because of the normal aging process. I was 20 and ate what I liked and weighed no more than 95 lbs. Then when I hit my midthirties, with the same amount of activity, my body began to develop a figure. Good on me. I was not happy being so thin. An 'a' cup is a sad thing for a woman in her twenties to wear.

And as for that other commenter saying I must have been in the military....what? Heavens no. I'm not that sort of lady. At present I'm just a nice old Grandma who enjoys baking and playing video games with the Grands.

metabolism doesnt decrease as much as you think it does.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I have been surprised to find so many people staying under their calorie goal, yet when you see what they eat is shocks me. Yes, they stayed under, BUT they ate crap! Fast food, processed foods, white breads, and soda.

This site is great for calorie counting and nutrition data, but it doesn't teach how to eat to fuel your body the best way possible. You body is not going to burn/use those crap calories the same way healthy foods will. When you eat healthy, your body burns it fast and uses pretty much every bit of that food, but when you eat processed, high sodium and fat foods, you will more then likely store some of that food into fat. Proof? Give a person the same number of calories but one eats all the healthy/clean foods while the other eats the junk. Whose body looks better? Also, it's not just weight gain that's affected, it's your hair and skin health too.

What do YOU think?

I absolutely agree.

But it's not just who looks better. It's also about who is healthier. Somehow on this web site healthy =healthy weight. But you can be in healthy weight and exercise regularly but have problems with digestion, or high cholesterol, or other problems that were results of bad diet.

This Glam-girl is right.

I once was 95 lbs soaking wet. With a metabolism that would not quit. I could consume entire pizzas (2 at a time, large) eat whole boxes of donuts, and drink 2 two liters of soda daily. And I could not gain an ounce. Not a single curve emerged on my body and I stayed that way until I was well into my thirties. I ate nothing but junk, junk, junk. For breakfast a box of Lucky Charms with half a gallon of milk, followed by a medium bag of Cheetos and so on...and I was thin as a stick even after giving birth to three children.

The party, so to speak, ended for me when I was in my mid thirties and noticed a figure emerging. That figure just kept emerging, too, and becoming more...convex, shall we say; until I modified my eating habits. Once I changed my diet, I noticed I felt much better.

Sure it could all be attributed to psychosomatic effects, but I'll take what I can get in the way of positive reinforcement when it comes to losing weight.

Funny, my body composition has been the best it ever has been at 46 years old, and I am sure I eat what people would call junk on a daily basis. I know I eat processed foods. I also eat a balanced diet.

I am a little scarred from being the fat kid, I have been sitting back and watching all these people that say "their metabolism catches up". So I have had a "slow metabolism" all my life. so what happened? they eat more than their body requires.

Rofl

Metabolism 'catches up' because of the normal aging process. I was 20 and ate what I liked and weighed no more than 95 lbs. Then when I hit my midthirties, with the same amount of activity, my body began to develop a figure. Good on me. I was not happy being so thin. An 'a' cup is a sad thing for a woman in her twenties to wear.

And as for that other commenter saying I must have been in the military....what? Heavens no. I'm not that sort of lady. At present I'm just a nice old Grandma who enjoys baking and playing video games with the Grands.

Your BMR only slows down about 100 calories every 10 years. People often get less active however as they get older, so the thing to do, is try not to.

And the other poster was saying *she* was in the military...although I am not sure what 'sort of lady' you are implying she is then.

BTW, when you say you are a "nice old Grandma", and while I am sure you are nice and may well be a grandmother, you are 42 years old...not exactly old. Well, at least not to me. I must be ancient!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

What do YOU think?

I absolutely agree.

This Glam-girl is right.

Rofl

Pardon? What 'sort' of lady is in the military?
  • CometMeebru
    Options
    wood neg you IRL
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Oh boy.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

What do YOU think?

I absolutely agree.

This Glam-girl is right.

Rofl

Clearly your sort. :angry:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Healthy is not quantifiable (that would prove us junk eaters heathy)!!! I do know everyone claiming to be healthier and "eat clean" has a closed diary though.

I think it is somewhat quantifiable.

The measures I am thinking of are weight, body fat percentage, blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol levels, etc. But those can be perfect in a person who consumes what others describe as "junk" or "processed" foods.

You shut your mouth!!! If we were to quantify it... What would that mean to all the celery suckers?

They just don't want to admit they are eating awful tasting foods for nothing.
    It's this kind of thinking that's so exasperating from my perspective. "Celery suckers" "Awful tasting food"? Seriously??
  • whierd
    Options
    Healthy is not quantifiable (that would prove us junk eaters heathy)!!! I do know everyone claiming to be healthier and "eat clean" has a closed diary though.

The measures I am thinking of are weight, body fat percentage, blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol levels, etc. But those can be perfect in a person who consumes what others describe as "junk" or "processed" foods.

You shut your mouth!!! If we were to quantify it... What would that mean to all the celery suckers?

It's this kind of thinking that's so exasperating from my perspective. "Celery suckers" "Awful tasting food"? Seriously??

Celery suckers was in jest, I am sure.

But my assertion that celery is awful tasting is 100% true.
  • StephanieMM2013
    Options
    I think the confusion comes from people focused on MACROS. From what I've read, yes, all macros (calories) are equal. (Micro)Nutrient and nutrient absorption, inflammation... These are what makes the food you eat unequal.

If you're talking about weight loss, absolutely you CAN lose weight from just eating junk. But will you thrive, strengthen your immune system/fight disease, decrease inflammatory problems such as asthma or arthritis? That is what matters to me.

Of course I believe people should be able to do whatever they want as long as it doesn't effect an unconsenting adult... Not trying to push my lifestyle on anyone else here.
  • A well know nutritious says all calories are equal. here is his take on this subject.. LifeJacketWaterJogger Losing Weight After 50 By Charlotte on September 12, 2012 6:24 AM [Pin It] Digg Manuel Villacorta, MS, RD Author of Eating Free: The Carb-Friendly Way to Lose Inches, Embrace Your Hunger and Keep the Weight Off for Good Every calorie counts once we reach our 50s. But most of us tend to keep eating like we're 25. That's a problem because our metabolic rate has decreased ... as much as 5 to 8 percent every decade. To lose weight, we have to adjust to this slower metabolic rate. That doesn't mean counting every pea, but it does mean every calorie counts. Manuel_V_250.jpgAnother concept Baby Boomers need to embrace is healthy eating doesn't equal weight loss. If you're thinking, "I have cut out all processed food. I eat organically and I mainly eat salmon and olive oil, but I'm not losing weight." You could be organically growing your waistline. It's important to note that a serving is a serving. A half cup of brown rice is the same as a half cup of white rice when it comes to measuring portions for weight loss. Will the brown rice pack more power in terms of fiber and other benefits? Absolutely! But will it make you lose weight faster? No. And can you eat more of it because it's healthier? No. This is an essential concept to grasp because so many people assume eating heart-healthy foods like salmon, olive oil, avocado, brown rice and sweet potatoes means free rein to eat unlimited portions. But it's all about portion control, no matter how heart-healthy, low-fat, organic, gluten-free or low-carb that food may be. Manuel Villacorta, MS, RD Outsmart Your Hunger Hormone A hormone called ghrelin controls hunger and drives our appetite. If we don't understand, monitor and control our ghrelin, we can forget about losing weight. Ghrelin is one of our bodily survival tactics--a hormone secreted in the stomach to ensure we eat. Research now shows that ghrelin spikes due to lifestyle behaviors like delaying and skipping meals, lack of sleep, after exercise (especially in females), avoiding carbohydrates and the act of losing weight. To keep ghrelin in control and lose weight, remember to: · Eat breakfast within an hour of waking. It's the most important meal and drives your entire day. It determines how much you're going to eat at 4 p.m. It will control ghrelin and set you up for success. · Do not skip meals. You need to eat every three to four hours to control ghrelin, so depending on how many waking hours you have, you may need four meals or you may need six. · Try to combine carbohydrates and proteins at every meal or snack. This way, you get the optimal blend of nutritional elements to fight cravings, control hunger, gain energy and stimulate fullness. Protein increases your metabolism while carbs lower ghrelin, help with brain function and decrease cravings. For lunch, try a salad with chicken or fish. Add a carbohydrate such as quinoa, garbanzo beans, lentils or brown rice. Snack on an apple and a piece of turkey, low-fat cheese or a hard-boiled egg. · Don't focus on the time you stop eating. Instead, follow the 70/30 rule, which means you should eat 70 percent of your calories before dinnertime and 30 percent at dinner, whatever time that may be. Just make sure you have 90 minutes to digest so you can sleep comfortably. · Stay hydrated. You've heard it a million times, but drinking water is essential for keeping energy up, aiding metabolism, burning fat and more. It's the fluid your body needs for life, and it's an instrumental part of weight loss. Other fluids can be useful, but water is obviously the best choice because it is calorie free. But you can forget the whole eight glasses a day thing. Just relax and remember to have a healthy amount of water whenever you think of it. Thirst can confuse your sense of hunger so make sure you stay hydrated. Melt Fat through Menopause Many women tell me they're eating healthy, staying active, doing very well in general yet they're gaining weight. It's easy to put on a pound a year during peri- and actual menopause, which often adds up to 10 to 15 pounds in the midsection. There are a few reasons this happens. On average, women tend to become less active during this time. Metabolism and muscle mass decrease, and hormones change. Of course, your body's hormones have a direct impact on your appetite, metabolism and fat storage so weight gain during this time is more likely caused by hormones rather than overeating. In your younger years, you may have gained in the hips and buttocks, but now you'll notice you gain in your waist, which has to do with low estrogen. So what's the solution? Typically, you have to eat less. On average, menopausal women need to eat about 200 fewer calories a day. To give you enough carbs to fuel your brain and prevent sugar cravings, I recommend a 45% carbohydrate-30% protein-25% fat formula. If you're approaching menopause and haven't yet gained, start cutting 200 calories a day from what you're used to eating, and that will help you maintain the healthy weight you currently enjoy. The tricks described above can help you outsmart your hunger hormone. Also, begin weight training to build muscle mass because muscles break down as we age. Remember muscle mass drives your metabolism so if you keep it strong, your body will regulate your weight as an added bonus. If you've already gained weight because of menopause, you can adopt the Eating Free plan discussed below to lose weight. It's a little more challenging at this time, but if you increase everyday activities like walking and taking the stairs, you'll find it much easier to achieve your goals. Stop Dieting, Start Living: The Eating Free Philosophy and Weight-Management Plan With years of research and client case studies under my belt, I developed the Eating Free program to treat the entire individual by taking into account all these behaviors. While many diets simply count calories, reduce intake and promote exercise, our approach is holistic and balanced, addressing factors like stress and sleep in addition to nutritional intake. It's an empowering new way to understand your own potential for weight loss and to forge your own path to success. Eating Free 250.jpg While it's possible to lose weight simply by cutting calories, it may not be what I call quality weight loss. You may decrease muscle mass and bring on depression, hunger, cravings and unsustainable behaviors. To give you enough carbs to fuel your brain and prevent sugar cravings, I recommend a 45% carbohydrate-30% protein-25% fat formula. By carbohydrates, I mean whole foods, like fruits, grains, quinoa, brown rice or legumes, and sweet potatoes ... not processed foods. This formula also delivers enough protein to prevent muscle breakdown, keep your metabolism going and control ghrelin. It also ensures you get the good fats you need for your health and that you enjoy what you eat. Best of all, Eating Free celebrates food and eating. That's because I adore food. As a native Peruvian, food is an integral part of my culture -- an essential component of family life and social gatherings. I bring that spirit to my work, and to the program, so I can promise you, Eating Free means eating free of guilt, free of deprivation, free of food boredom and binging. To understand the Eating Free philosophies, read the book. To apply what you've learned, use the free online tools at Eatingfree.com. Eating Free Freecipe: Applesauce Agave Banana Bread Banana bread is a traditional favorite. By substituting agave nectar for sugar and applesauce for oil, you can enjoy this sweet treat with less sugar, less fat - and no guilt. Your family will love it! Banana-Bread 236.jpg 3 medium bananas, ripe 1/2 cup agave nectar 1/2 cup applesauce 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 2 eggs 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 teaspoon salt 2 cups flour Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Place the bananas in a large bowl and mash with an electric mixer. Banana-Bread Mixing Bananas 236.jpg Stir in agave nectar and let stand for 15 minutes. Note: Because agave nectar has a lower glycemic index than sugar, you need less and it browns sooner, which is why the bread is baked at a lower temperature for a longer time. Add the applesauce and eggs and beat well. Banana-Bread 236 Mixing.jpgAdd the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Pour into a 9" x 5" loaf pan coated with nonstick vegetable spray. Bake for about 75 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Note: Every oven is different so the total baking time may vary. Use a toothpick at 60 minutes to check the bread's doneness. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Cool on a wire rack. Calories: 120; Fat: 1g; Protein: 2.7g; Carb. 26g; Fiber 1g; Sugar 11.8 g
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

What do YOU think?

I absolutely agree.

This Glam-girl is right.

Rofl

Clearly your sort. :angry:

But. I'm the sort who likes to bake and play video games. Clearly these don't mix.
  • whierd
    Options
    A well know nutritious says all calories are equal. here is his take on this subject.. LifeJacketWaterJogger Losing Weight After 50 By Charlotte on September 12, 2012 6:24 AM [Pin It] Digg Manuel Villacorta, MS, RD Author of Eating Free: The Carb-Friendly Way to Lose Inches, Embrace Your Hunger and Keep the Weight Off for Good Every calorie counts once we reach our 50s. But most of us tend to keep eating like we're 25. That's a problem because our metabolic rate has decreased ... as much as 5 to 8 percent every decade. To lose weight, we have to adjust to this slower metabolic rate. That doesn't mean counting every pea, but it does mean every calorie counts. Manuel_V_250.jpgAnother concept Baby Boomers need to embrace is healthy eating doesn't equal weight loss. If you're thinking, "I have cut out all processed food. I eat organically and I mainly eat salmon and olive oil, but I'm not losing weight." You could be organically growing your waistline. It's important to note that a serving is a serving. A half cup of brown rice is the same as a half cup of white rice when it comes to measuring portions for weight loss. Will the brown rice pack more power in terms of fiber and other benefits? Absolutely! But will it make you lose weight faster? No. And can you eat more of it because it's healthier? No. This is an essential concept to grasp because so many people assume eating heart-healthy foods like salmon, olive oil, avocado, brown rice and sweet potatoes means free rein to eat unlimited portions. But it's all about portion control, no matter how heart-healthy, low-fat, organic, gluten-free or low-carb that food may be. Manuel Villacorta, MS, RD Outsmart Your Hunger Hormone A hormone called ghrelin controls hunger and drives our appetite. If we don't understand, monitor and control our ghrelin, we can forget about losing weight. Ghrelin is one of our bodily survival tactics--a hormone secreted in the stomach to ensure we eat. Research now shows that ghrelin spikes due to lifestyle behaviors like delaying and skipping meals, lack of sleep, after exercise (especially in females), avoiding carbohydrates and the act of losing weight. To keep ghrelin in control and lose weight, remember to: · Eat breakfast within an hour of waking. It's the most important meal and drives your entire day. It determines how much you're going to eat at 4 p.m. It will control ghrelin and set you up for success. · Do not skip meals. You need to eat every three to four hours to control ghrelin, so depending on how many waking hours you have, you may need four meals or you may need six. · Try to combine carbohydrates and proteins at every meal or snack. This way, you get the optimal blend of nutritional elements to fight cravings, control hunger, gain energy and stimulate fullness. Protein increases your metabolism while carbs lower ghrelin, help with brain function and decrease cravings. For lunch, try a salad with chicken or fish. Add a carbohydrate such as quinoa, garbanzo beans, lentils or brown rice. Snack on an apple and a piece of turkey, low-fat cheese or a hard-boiled egg. · Don't focus on the time you stop eating. Instead, follow the 70/30 rule, which means you should eat 70 percent of your calories before dinnertime and 30 percent at dinner, whatever time that may be. Just make sure you have 90 minutes to digest so you can sleep comfortably. · Stay hydrated. You've heard it a million times, but drinking water is essential for keeping energy up, aiding metabolism, burning fat and more. It's the fluid your body needs for life, and it's an instrumental part of weight loss. Other fluids can be useful, but water is obviously the best choice because it is calorie free. But you can forget the whole eight glasses a day thing. Just relax and remember to have a healthy amount of water whenever you think of it. Thirst can confuse your sense of hunger so make sure you stay hydrated. Melt Fat through Menopause Many women tell me they're eating healthy, staying active, doing very well in general yet they're gaining weight. It's easy to put on a pound a year during peri- and actual menopause, which often adds up to 10 to 15 pounds in the midsection. There are a few reasons this happens. On average, women tend to become less active during this time. Metabolism and muscle mass decrease, and hormones change. Of course, your body's hormones have a direct impact on your appetite, metabolism and fat storage so weight gain during this time is more likely caused by hormones rather than overeating. In your younger years, you may have gained in the hips and buttocks, but now you'll notice you gain in your waist, which has to do with low estrogen. So what's the solution? Typically, you have to eat less. On average, menopausal women need to eat about 200 fewer calories a day. To give you enough carbs to fuel your brain and prevent sugar cravings, I recommend a 45% carbohydrate-30% protein-25% fat formula. If you're approaching menopause and haven't yet gained, start cutting 200 calories a day from what you're used to eating, and that will help you maintain the healthy weight you currently enjoy. The tricks described above can help you outsmart your hunger hormone. Also, begin weight training to build muscle mass because muscles break down as we age. Remember muscle mass drives your metabolism so if you keep it strong, your body will regulate your weight as an added bonus. If you've already gained weight because of menopause, you can adopt the Eating Free plan discussed below to lose weight. It's a little more challenging at this time, but if you increase everyday activities like walking and taking the stairs, you'll find it much easier to achieve your goals. Stop Dieting, Start Living: The Eating Free Philosophy and Weight-Management Plan With years of research and client case studies under my belt, I developed the Eating Free program to treat the entire individual by taking into account all these behaviors. While many diets simply count calories, reduce intake and promote exercise, our approach is holistic and balanced, addressing factors like stress and sleep in addition to nutritional intake. It's an empowering new way to understand your own potential for weight loss and to forge your own path to success. Eating Free 250.jpg While it's possible to lose weight simply by cutting calories, it may not be what I call quality weight loss. You may decrease muscle mass and bring on depression, hunger, cravings and unsustainable behaviors. To give you enough carbs to fuel your brain and prevent sugar cravings, I recommend a 45% carbohydrate-30% protein-25% fat formula. By carbohydrates, I mean whole foods, like fruits, grains, quinoa, brown rice or legumes, and sweet potatoes ... not processed foods. This formula also delivers enough protein to prevent muscle breakdown, keep your metabolism going and control ghrelin. It also ensures you get the good fats you need for your health and that you enjoy what you eat. Best of all, Eating Free celebrates food and eating. That's because I adore food. As a native Peruvian, food is an integral part of my culture -- an essential component of family life and social gatherings. I bring that spirit to my work, and to the program, so I can promise you, Eating Free means eating free of guilt, free of deprivation, free of food boredom and binging. To understand the Eating Free philosophies, read the book. To apply what you've learned, use the free online tools at Eatingfree.com. Eating Free Freecipe: Applesauce Agave Banana Bread Banana bread is a traditional favorite. By substituting agave nectar for sugar and applesauce for oil, you can enjoy this sweet treat with less sugar, less fat - and no guilt. Your family will love it! Banana-Bread 236.jpg 3 medium bananas, ripe 1/2 cup agave nectar 1/2 cup applesauce 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 2 eggs 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 teaspoon salt 2 cups flour Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Place the bananas in a large bowl and mash with an electric mixer. Banana-Bread Mixing Bananas 236.jpg Stir in agave nectar and let stand for 15 minutes. Note: Because agave nectar has a lower glycemic index than sugar, you need less and it browns sooner, which is why the bread is baked at a lower temperature for a longer time. Add the applesauce and eggs and beat well. Banana-Bread 236 Mixing.jpgAdd the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Pour into a 9" x 5" loaf pan coated with nonstick vegetable spray. Bake for about 75 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Note: Every oven is different so the total baking time may vary. Use a toothpick at 60 minutes to check the bread's doneness. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Cool on a wire rack. Calories: 120; Fat: 1g; Protein: 2.7g; Carb. 26g; Fiber 1g; Sugar 11.8 g

Holy wall of text Batman!
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Get the celery that is lighter in color - the darker it is the more bitter it is. Organic celery also tastes better than regular.. so get organic lighter color celery and it will taste 4 x as good.
  • whierd
    Options
    I think the confusion comes from people focused on MACROS. From what I've read, yes, all macros (calories) are equal. (Micro)Nutrient and nutrient absorption, inflammation... These are what makes the food you eat unequal.

If you're talking about weight loss, absolutely you CAN lose weight from just eating junk. But will you thrive, strengthen your immune system/fight disease, decrease inflammatory problems such as asthma or arthritis? That is what matters to me.

Of course I believe people should be able to do whatever they want as long as it doesn't effect an unconsenting adult... Not trying to push my lifestyle on anyone else here.

You can get all of your micronutrients from what some would consider "unhealthy".
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

You said foods. I'm assuming you meant more than celery (which I eat at thanksgiving, and in tuna salad). It's the silly mocking of other people's choices. It gets old.
  • whierd
    Options

You said foods. I'm assuming you meant more than celery (which I eat at thanksgiving, and in tuna salad). It's the silly mocking of other people's choices. It gets old.

Beets and radishes are also awful. Liking any of these makes you an awful person.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Can we all agree that a calorie is a calorie in the way it means literally, how much energy does it take for your body to burn that food (or something like that - wheres my science book when i need it).

Can we agree that nutrients which contain calories can affect your body in various ways, some healthy, some not healthy, some benign like undigested fiber which just goes down the toilet.

Can we agree that some foods affect your body in a better/not as better way as others, because each nutrient has a specific job to do i.e. protein for building muscles and carbos to give you energy. But neither carbos nor proteins will win an award for being the best nutrient for the body, but there is no competition between our body's nutrients, they all just go to work and dont demand extra pay for doing extra work.

Can we agree that even "junk food" can have some nutritional benefit - i.e. candy bars giving you energy, can contain nuts so it has protein, can contain fats which help vitamins along; fried food can keep your appetite down, etc.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Beets and radishes are also awful. Liking any of these makes you an awful person.

Pickled beets are delish - especially in a sammich with salad cream.

Pineapple is gaggable however and should be banned.
  • whierd
    Options

You can no longer be trusted.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I feel so... betrayed.